Awoo.

Sonic Forces sells an estimated 234,000 units worldwide in the first week at retail.

SatAMhog

4 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

I’m...very surprised. If Sonic Forces did indeed sell well, I wonder just how well. Because looking at the sales charts and Steam it doesn’t seem to be that great. But what do I know? 

Then again, didn’t they say back in the day that Sonic 06 “performed strongly” yet it sold less than a million? Hmm, could be a similar situation here. 

It cracks my head when I realize that the crappy SA2"""""""HD""""""" had over 500k sales while Forces is still sitting at 33k without piracy and with a winter-sale drop price.

On 2/8/2018 at 5:45 PM, TheOcelot said:

Aaron just confirmed in today's live stream that Forces has sold well (as per SEGA Sammy's recent financial report)...

Things the brand manager isn’t going to say: “Yeah that game released right before Christmas sold like shit.”

Things the brand manager will say: “Yes that game sold well. No I cannot give you numbers.”

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

So how long is it going to take for people to just accept that it sold well and SEGA aren't conspiring to hide anything. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

I don't think Sega's conspiring to hide anything about its sales; but given its performance we do know of in regional retail charts and digital storefronts, it does make me wonder what exactly were the parameters set for it "selling well" for their standards.

But with that said, there's not much data (regional or digital) that is available for past Sonic titles, so it's not like there is significant material available to actually compare Forces' performance to past retail ST titles like Unleashed, Colors, Generations, or even Lost World. The little I could find (mainly the UK charts in PAL threads and --solely concerning Lost World-- weekly Nintendo eShop threads) also doesn't indicate Forces is performing much better or much worse than those titles either.

At this point I think I've mostly made peace with whatever units Forces may have sold. I'm now solely interested on what Mania's individual sales performance is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I refrain from talking about Force because people will just spin it down, but it was an enjoyable game for me and seemingly a lot of people around. Based on that, this reveal didn't come up with such a big surprise.

That said, I hope they keep in mind the highlights and lowlights of the their most recent work when developing the next one, for both their Japanese and Western audiences.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

So how long is it going to take for people to just accept that it sold well and SEGA aren't conspiring to hide anything. 

When SEGA discloses sales figures for the game?

The only figures we have seen for things like Steam don’t look good. Maybe it sold brilliantly on other platforms and we just don’t know but there’s no evidence of that other than the company being like “yeah it did well” and that failing to provide numbers to back up that claim.

2 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

When SEGA discloses sales figures for the game?

The only figures we have seen for things like Steam don’t look good. Maybe it sold brilliantly on other platforms and we just don’t know but there’s no evidence of that other than the company being like “yeah it did well” and that failing to provide numbers to back up that claim.

You can make the same argument for Sonic Mania since we don't know its sales number either as SEGA haven't disclosed them. The fact is that SEGA have been keeping schtum about figures for all their games for a while now, so that's not indicative of anything nowadays. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Razule said:

I suppose it's a given we'll be seeing the Boost again for sometime.

Oh, I hope not. I can't stand Boost gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sega themselves stated Sonic Forces "performed strongly":

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2018/20180207_3q_siryo_e_final.pdf

They also recognized Mania's success and were not afraid to admit Lost World flopped some years ago. Either way, I'm glad Sonic games still sell well. I just can't see how some people wanted Forces to fail, and I'm saying this as someone who did not like the game much at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, EzSonic01 said:

Sega themselves stated Sonic Forces "performed strongly":

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2018/20180207_3q_siryo_e_final.pdf

They also recognized Mania's success and were not afraid to admit Lost World flopped some years ago. Either way, I'm glad Sonic games still sell well. I just can't see how some people wanted Forces to fail, and I'm saying this as someone who did not like the game much at all.

We want games like Forces to fail because we want much better Sonic games. Simple as that.

8 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't mean to be rude, especially considering you certainly haven't gone as far (or been rude about it) as some people, but I'm getting tired of this attitude. It's honestly fairly obvious why people wanted Forces to fail - because they don't want future games to be like it. Because we think Forces is bad, and we want Sega to be encouraged to make good games, which, as a company that exists for profit, they might not bother doing if bad games sell just fine. I understand the sentiment of being happy Sonic is popular enough that his games still sell, but if being good is not a requirement for Sonic games to sell well, many of us anticipate Sega might not try that hard to make Sonic games good in the future, and to me and many others Sonic being good is much more important than Sonic being popular. If, on the other hand, Forces sold poorly, they would be forced (pun unintended) to learn from their mistake because, as an entity that exists for monetary gain, a product not selling is obviously a big problem. Of course, perhaps it's too optimistic to assume Sega would learn the right lessons from Forces not selling, but I can't say I'd see much to gain from the opposite either.

I understand this sentiment a lot. When Sonic 4 came out, I was slightly enraged. I would've been happy if no copies had been sold.

But now that its path is dead and Sonic Mania exists? Well, I decided to go ahead and buy it a few days ago. Things are different when a Sonic game isn't a threat to future products anymore.

9 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't mean to be rude, especially considering you certainly haven't gone as far (or been rude about it) as some people, but I'm getting tired of this attitude. It's honestly fairly obvious why people wanted Forces to fail - because they don't want future games to be like it. Because we think Forces is bad, and we want Sega to be encouraged to make good games, which, as a company that exists for profit, they might not bother doing if bad games sell just fine. I understand the sentiment of being happy Sonic is popular enough that his games still sell, but if being good is not a requirement for Sonic games to sell well, many of us anticipate Sega might not try that hard to make Sonic games good in the future, and to me and many others Sonic being good is much more important than Sonic being popular. If, on the other hand, Forces sold poorly, they would be forced (pun unintended) to learn from their mistake because, as an entity that exists for monetary gain, a product not selling is obviously a big problem. Of course, perhaps it's too optimistic to assume Sega would learn the right lessons from Forces not selling, but I can't say I'd see much to gain from the opposite either.

I understand your point, but... When has Sega/Sonic Team learned correctly from their mistakes?

Furthermore, Unleashed was a significant improvement over everything that had come out after SA2. It was still marred with issues, but following the critical and public slating of ShTH and '06, Unleashed was very welcome. SEGA learned some lessons from it and incorporated those into Colours. Unfortunately, they seem to have stopped there and believe that Colours is the pinnacle Sonic game design. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/11/2018 at 5:29 AM, EzSonic01 said:

I just can't see how some people wanted Forces to fail, and I'm saying this as someone who did not like the game much at all.

Speaking as someone who actually does like Forces, I can see where reasonable people against it are coming from. See, compare to Marvel vs Capcom the series. The latest installment, MvC: Infinite, while bringing some things fans have asked for to table has marred too many things from previous installments unnecessarily. Of course Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is rihgtfully getting its just desserts for that.

I'm content to hear that Forces is selling well, but I can't blame the more reasonable detractors for having issue with it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

The only thing is like from 06 is the music and cgi intros. everything else was bad to ok I see what you were going for that  one e3 but you fucked up  SOJ

Well, as a Sonic fan who found Mania to be the first enjoyable Sonic game (for me) since the release of Sonic and Knuckles for the Genesis in 1994 (which I had my parents preorder from SEARS as soon as we got the catalog), I do find Forces' strong performance disappointing. The reason is because Sega executives now will probably have no interest in releasing a follow up to Sonic Mania (and by 'follow up' I mean a new game made by Taxman and/or Stealth that uses sprites as the graphics, TRUE classic physics like Mania, precision platforming like Mania, choice to play as a single character through the entire game, or combo (Sonic and Tails))

This news pretty much dashes my hope that we will ever see another official 2D sprite based Sonic game with proper physics and other paradigms that are truly classic in nature. I hope I am wrong and Sega does release a follow up. But I'm guessing they saw Mania merely as an appetizer to onboard people to Forces, nothing more. And so with Forces' success, they'll focus on only publishing more boost Sonic games in the future.

Sega will probably work with Taxman one more time - to port Sonic 3 and Knuckles to the Retro Engine for PC, Android, etc. But that is it. 

If Sega does announce a follow up to Mania in that style and they have Taxman and/or (preferably and) Stealth develop it, then I will have more longterm faith in Sega. 

I'll follow SXSW in March, and hopefully we'll get some news then. 

I don't think Forces is that bad, it's just very disappointing. I don't think it's very fun. I kinda agree with this topic.