Awoo.

Sonic Boom vs. Skylanders Academy

Blueknight V2.0

Now I know neither show is really comparable, but these are the only 2 shows based on Video Games that I like in CG. Sonic Boom is less story centric and comedic mixed with action and humor, while Skylanders Academy has more over-arcing plot, with action and humor. Now Sonic Boom is my favorite of the 2 shows, I just wish Sonic Boom had a story-arc from Rise of Lyric, maybe they'll do it in season 3. As far as returning characters go, Sonic Boom has 10 characters from the modern games return, 11 if you count D-Fekt (now I'm not sure if that counts becausse he's a Boom game character and not a Modern game character), while Skylanders has a lot of returning characters from the Skylanders games, but there are only 4 characters that I actually like, Spyro, Cynder, Crash Bandicoot and Kaos. Then there's the animation quality Skylanders Academy has the supperior animation over Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom is pretty good animation (almost as good as the CG in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, but not close enough to Marza's animation) compared to Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures. Now the voices for the characters in both shows are pretty good, they match the characters on point, now I had issues adjusting to Crash's voice in Skylanders after being used to a mute Crash after all these years. Sonic Boom did do a good job at adding experience to the current voice actors for the Sonic series since 2010's Sonic Colors and Sonic Free Riders, Sonic Forces also proves this after Sonic Lost World. Anyways what do you guys think, which show do you think is better in your opinion?

I personally find Sonic Boom as the better show. 

I'm saying this as a massive fan of both Sonic (duh) and Skylanders, but I find Boom just better.

I laugh more at whatever Boom delivers, and the expressive animation especially in the later episodes is something I really find charming with the use of squash-and-stretch. Academy does have an overarching plot to follow sure, but whenever I see it I just see wasted potential.

Yes, both Boom and Academy are seperate universes but as I say with any adaptation, if you're gonna do something different, it has to be good changes that benefit the medium and direction.

The changes made to the characters to Boom, while polarizing for many I feel fits the comedic direction that's being done for it.

Meanwhile, Academy suffers from an identity crisis, not knowing if it wants to be faithful to the games and advertise it, or be a seperate entity. The crosspromotion between Academy and Imaginators especially considering how different the characters act between universes. (Especially considering how Crash is depicted depending on the version of Skylanders you're seeing)

It's just gonna end up as confusing unless you do the proper research regarding how connected these two universes are in relation. (Non-existant)

But back on the point that your changes need to be good, I feel like Academy made very weird sacrifices that while help the comedic aspect, damage the lore in comparison to the games which balance things out much better. There's a lot of lore in the Skylanders universe to take advantage of with comedic possibilities yet convey a sense of awe and wonder. The Arkeyans, CloudCracker Prison being made of Traptanium, the Swap Force, Cloudbreak Islands, The Darkness, all very interesting and balanced concepts that could really use expansion akin to the IDW Comics but aren't touched on to this degree.

And... Kaos, what the hell did they do to you, man? I see Eggman in Boom as something good, a step up for Eggman you could say in regards to personality.

Academy Kaos to me is a dump on the character, his legacy and his whole point. Kaos is a character with a surprising amount of depth and is my second favorite villain of all time. He's a child seeking attention and is seen as pathetic in not just stature but in competence. He's a character mocked by not just the Skylanders but by other villains and everything at first seems to go wrong. Yet Kaos out of either luck or in most cases, his surprising wit and ability to leap onto any opportunity ends up becoming the final boss every time. It's a testament to how he really can't be underestimated. On top of that, the complex with his mother in the games and outside connected lore is so much better, making living dolls with his own powers to be his only friends, only for his high-rep evil mother taking them away from him. However Kaos manages to take the remaining living dolls and has them live on an island of solace and peace away from harm.

He has a soft side, and it shows from the peaceful, benevolent nature of the Wilikin. You wouldn't expect them to be spawned from Kaos' mind.

...But that's the games. In Academy, Kaos is a fool. He is always upstaged or used by other villains and overall just doesn't have the relatable chops that the game version has. (Also, fuck the romance sub-plot with Golden Queen. No. No. Noooope.)

Phew, that's a big tangent, but that's just one example out of many pieces of missed potential Academy has that Boom avoids because of its ability to stand out as its own thing while Academy struggles.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm pretty sure I saw a gif of mangled skylanders spyro taking a picture of his ass with a smartphone so using that as the base I tihnk I'd say Sonic Boom is better on sheer principle

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

Boom is better. I really wish Boom was not a "top kek lol xd funny cool kids lol so random" kinda show... I wish it was more like Sonic X.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also forgot to add that Malefor in Skylanders Academy is another favorite of mine. Now the Legend of Spyro versions and voices of the charactes Spyro, Cynder and Malefor, were better than than they were in Skylanders. Also hasanyone else noticed how they changed Cynder's voice for every game and version of the character? Just like how in the Sly Cooper series with Carmelita having a new voice for every game.

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Also forgot to add that Malefor in Skylanders Academy is another favorite of mine. Now the Legend of Spyro versions and voices of the charactes Spyro, Cynder and Malefor, were better than than they were in Skylanders. Also hasanyone else noticed how they changed Cynder's voice for every game and version of the character? Just like how in the Sly Cooper series with Carmelita having a new voice for every game.

Malefor is a step in the right direction for Academy at least. If they use more lore from the comics, books and games, then Academy can improve. Although there's a lot more hurdles to jump beyond that.