Awoo.

Where would you like to see the 3D series go from here?

Dscross

To me, Sonic Utopia is how Sonic should work in a 3D game. Maybe refine controls a bit more, but its controls are damn reliable.

• Fist Bump 1

Guys, what are we basically discussing here ? Everyone here knows (at least partly) the things done wrong in Classics, Dreamcast/GameCube era and the 06 and after.

Let´s just write it down.
Classics: Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 had (mostly) 1 main route to navigate from point A to point B. Sometimes it went to 2 not very different paths. Chemical Plant started the trend of dash panels. But it was ok, only 1 zone and so.

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles in the maintime had, usually, two routes, upper and lower (with few exceptions). Mania emphasized what was good about that.

Automated stages (most of the time): Chemical Plant, Hydrocity, Launch Base (the first two were /or still are ???/ quite popular)

Having sections that loop vertically: Marble Garden Act 1, Ice Cap Act 1

Adventure: This is where the problem started. Sonic Team developed 3D engine that, I wouldn´t say was incapable (see SA2)... it was more like they thought it would be difficult to maintain good momentum, so they added few dash panels/boosters here and there. At that time it was again usually from A to B, with not so many deviations from the main route, if any. 

I cannot really say anything about 06. Never played it and never will. Same with Unleashed and Colors... but from what I saw the 3D sections are (kind of) similar to the ones from Adventure era, though being more straightforward.

Generations... well, this was the Boost iteration that made it quite close to the idea presented in Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, mainly with Seaside Hill, but also other zones had moments where you could choose the route and they were actually different, being one at few points.

Forces went basically all the way backwards. From what I have seen (not played), Modern Sonic stages are simply A to B, with 2D substituting all the effort made with Generations. Few stages I would nitpick: Egg Gate, being mix of one Sonic Colors stages and somewhat similar to Heroes, but a bit simplified. Luminous Forest - OH MY GAAWD. Mortar Canyon and Metropolitan Highway whilst being better than the rest ultimately fail in exact same point. 

Not sure, but I believe giving the Adventure games the Mania treatment would work wonders. It’d really give players a choice. Especially good for future refinements on the formula. 

Other than that, Parkour formula could have another shot, with less 2D this time.

Just go back to the adventure style gameplay and refine it. It worked, is still fun and wouldn't need 2d sections or other gameplay styles to pad out the game due to stages being smaller.

• Promotion 1

4 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

I would like the 3D series to actually go full 3D.

We all would...but it's outside of Sonic team's skill radius.

They need their crutches...

Do Sonic Adventure's playstyle for Sonic, with a few characters to choose from, like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and maybe Blaze.Basically just do Mania in 3D. Give me a selection of characters to play as through well designed levels, with talented level designers at the helm. It can't be that hard to do. 

On 1/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, superman43 said:

Classics: Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 had (mostly) 1 main route to navigate from point A to point B. Sometimes it went to 2 not very different paths. Chemical Plant started the trend of dash panels. But it was ok, only 1 zone and so.

BIt harsh. Sonic 2 had multiple pathways in nearly all the levels didn't it?

2 hours ago, Dscross said:

BIt harsh. Sonic 2 had multiple pathways in nearly all the levels didn't it?

Like ok I admit it had. But still there were quite many with one pathway or close to one only. Emerald Hill, Hill Top, Mystic Cave or Metropolis being good examples where the additional pathways were not really that useful or particularly different.

I really have no idea. To be honest. Sonic at this point just really needs to establish for once his formula for 3D games like Mario or Crash did. Not only in gameplay but also in style and writing.

I also do not think that going back to the Adventure formula wouldn't help because they have just to many flaws in their formula too. Sure, their popular in the fandom, but I think this mostly comes from A, nostalgia and B, from the story and presentation. Gameplay wise the Adventure formula was also used in other games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, but were handled very poorly.

Going back to that wouldn't help much. Also, lets be honest here. How many of you guys really loved the fishing gameplay, Amy's gameplay, the mech gameplays and the treasure hunting? The only thing that people loved about SA are Sonic's gameplay (which isn't really that good), the Chao Graden (which wasn't also not that thought out), the Crush 40 music and the edgy stories (which both had to many plot holes).

Man, Crush 40's pretty much one of the best things ever affiliated with Sonic, besides I have no idea how music could even have plotholes. What do you consider being a plothole in this case, asking purely out of curiosity?

1 hour ago, Swing said:

Going back to that wouldn't help much. Also, lets be honest here. How many of you guys really loved the fishing gameplay, Amy's gameplay, the mech gameplays and the treasure hunting? The only thing that people loved about SA are Sonic's gameplay (which isn't really that good), the Chao Graden (which wasn't also not that thought out), the Crush 40 music and the edgy stories (which both had to many plot holes).

No one is explicitly asking for fishing. Also I didn't mind the mech and treasure hunting because I thought it made sense given the characters used for those modes. I'm not saying the Adventure formula is perfect but I'd prefer it over games that are half 2D, small casting and everyone kissing Sonic's ass instead of taking action themselves..

All I can ask for the 3D games is for them to be in full 3D, have other characters playable and ease off the Classic nostalgia.

• Nice Smile 1

I honestly wouldn't mind another attempt at a similar formula to Sonic Lost worlds, just make the parking a bit more functional, and maybe bigger levels.

On 18/01/2018 at 6:18 PM, Swing said:

I really have no idea. To be honest. Sonic at this point just really needs to establish for once his formula for 3D games like Mario or Crash did. Not only in gameplay but also in style and writing.

I also do not think that going back to the Adventure formula wouldn't help because they have just to many flaws in their formula too. Sure, their popular in the fandom, but I think this mostly comes from A, nostalgia and B, from the story and presentation. Gameplay wise the Adventure formula was also used in other games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, but were handled very poorly.

I don’t think anyone is advocating copying Sonic Advnture like for like. I think, in the main, people would be ok with just Sonic and Tails with adventure 1 style gameplay, updated for the modern day. It’s more emulating the style of how Sonic played in those games that people are getting at. I realise 06 and Shadow killed that style for them initially but we all know they were a hot mess for lots of reasons. It’s now 12 years old and it’s ok for them to have a go at it again.

Gameplay wise, they just need to keep the ideas streamlined, the levels interesting (possibly similar to adventure 1 but with more pathways), controls like adventure 1 but tweaked for the modern era, and not to rush stuff out.

• Nice Smile 1

Well, I think that 3D Sonic should be separated in two: Adventure-esque games, and Boost-type games. That way, Adventure fans got what they want, Boost fans get what they want and Classic fans get Mania 2/Another Whitehead game. Also, the 3D games should get way longer development games, both the Boost and the Adventure ones.

Also, to me, Classic should NEVER go 3D. His gameplay in 2D is great, and it should stay that way.