Awoo.

Full Sonic SFM movies

Blueknight V2.0

Recently, I found some Sonic videos on Youtube which are created with Source Filmmaker (SFM) from Steam Games. Popular Sonic SFM's like Faker or High in the Sky from Sonic Adventure 2 are some of the better quality animations. I'll leave some of the best videos below, but I was wanting to do this same thing except create an entire movie of the games cutscenes and maybe work some gameplay in as if they were cutscenes rather than gameplay. But I can't because of Internet cap limits and the Source Filmmaker takes 16GB to download. So I was wondering if anyone on here has had any Sonic SFM experience and could possibly remake all cutscenes in Sonic games, like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight, both Sonic Rush and the Sonic Riders series. Maybe not remake every single one, maybe not remake the CG cutscenes starting with Shadow the Hedgehog and games after. Another idea that could be good is to remake the US version of season 3 of Sonic X in SFM, that'd be nice to see the show in another form than just the anime format, but Sonic X is not my favorite Sonic show because it focuses more on the humans than the Sonic characters, except season 3 which focuses way more on the Sonic characters so therefore is the only season I like. Back to my point on Sonic SFM's with all cutscenes remade. That would be an upgrade from the original versions. So what do you guys think, could any of you possibly take on any of the challenges presented here? if you can and have a Youtube channel let me know here in this topic.

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

So I was wondering if anyone on here has had any Sonic SFM experience and could possibly remake all cutscenes in Sonic games, like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight, both Sonic Rush and the Sonic Riders series. Maybe not remake every single one, maybe not remake the CG cutscenes starting with Shadow the Hedgehog and games after. Another idea that could be good is to remake the US version of season 3 of Sonic X in SFM, that'd be nice to see the show in another form than just the anime format, but Sonic X is not my favorite Sonic show because it focuses more on the humans...

I don't think you understand quite how taxing animation is. That one minute "Faker" one for instance took 1 and a half months to complete - now imagine doing that for every cutscene from every Sonic game, and you're having a laugh. Remaking an entire anime in SFM is a pipe dream. 

Now if you paid for someone to do it, sure - but then there'd be a notice from SEGA's lawyers to the tune of "cease and desist," innit. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I don't think you understand quite how taxing animation is. That one minute "Faker" one for instance took 1 and a half months to complete - now imagine doing that for every cutscene from every Sonic game, and you're having a laugh. Remaking an entire anime in SFM is a pipe dream. 

Now if you paid for someone to do it, sure - but then there'd be a notice from SEGA's lawyers to the tune of "cease and desist," innit. 

I didn't literally mean every single cutscene from every Sonic game,my original idea was for cutscenes from Sonic Adventures 1 and 2, Sonic heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006 and both Sonic storybook games. As for Sonic X I only meant the 3rd season. This was just my idea, if I was doing it but I can't. I just wanted to see more like these, since there are very little of them.

8 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I didn't literally mean every single cutscene from every Sonic game,my original idea was for cutscenes from Sonic Adventures 1 and 2, Sonic heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006 and both Sonic storybook games.

That might as well be every Sonic game for all the difference it makes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Still I (and probably many others) would agree that the cutscenes from those particular games need to be upgraded. As for games like the Sonic Rush series, alot of people including me would like to see Blaze's world in 3D, both games and cutscenes. Thats Not every Sonic game, I only named 9-12 out of over 80 games, and 1 season out of 5 shows.

51 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

29 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Still I (and probably many others) would agree that the cutscenes from those particular games need to be upgraded. As for games like the Sonic Rush series, alot of people including me would like to see Blaze's world in 3D, both games and cutscenes. Thats Not every Sonic game, I only named 9-12 out of over 80 games, and 1 season out of 5 shows.

You're completely missing Tracker's point. Entirely. He's not literally saying you've said "every single Sonic game". What he is saying is that for the level of work that would need to go into updating the cutscenes of the games you have mentioned, then it might as well be the entire series, because one of those games could take upwards of two years+ to remake into SFM if Tracker has been accurate with that month and a half timescale for the Faker cutscene. 

Saying that you think they should update the cutscenes isn't enough. This is literally the workload of a professional animator for no payment whatsoever. You're being completely unrealistic. 

And remaking one entire season of a show? Around 20+ episodes with 20 minutes each? That is completely unrealistic.

I used to watch a lot of Team Fortress 2 SFM videos and some of the best ones like Spy's Creed which is around 14 minutes took around 6 months to a full year to make. And you think it's realistic for an entire season of 20 minute episodes to be made with no budget, no payment and just someone deciding to do it because "it needs upgraded". 

The cutscenes are bound to the era they were created in. Yeah, having fan-made updates is nice, but asking people on here to dedicate their entire time to creating a full season or remake a game or anything else? It's not going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Hello, I'm the Doctor on here but on Youtube you may know me as Dr Spudhead. I know my animations are nothing like Source but I did do a full Shadow the Hedgehog cartoon. I mean full. Every choice, every level. It took months of endless work. That was made on Paint of all things, the simplest program out there. Now if it took me 9 months to do that in a simple program, imagine how long it would take to do it in a complex program like Source. Its not impossible, no. Just way too time consuming and will leave you shattered.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

Making an animation, any animation is not a breezy process. I know friends, even friends on this very site with experience on that matter who can testify to this. 2D or 3D. This includes SFM.

Hell, I tried animation using smaller software as well, being Flipnote Studio and MikuMiku Dance. Both take a lot of time and effort to do something that lasts a couple seconds and have it look good.

Asking to recreate game cutscenes, TV episodes and all that on a high-quality level without a budget? To be frank, it's impossible.

If you want this done, you better have a huge safe of cash to give to someone, if not an entire studio to make it happen... IF they even accept the challenge, of course.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

So what do you guys think, could any of you possibly take on any of the challenges presented here? if you can and have a Youtube channel let me know here in this topic.

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

That's still a hell of a lot to ask of someone and offer nothing in return. What are you going to offer them in return? A years worth of free games? You going to give them the software and hardware to do it? You going to pay for their food and bills so that they can focus on making these things for you? 

Seriously you didn't even bother to pull the 'exposure' card. Look Bluestreak I hate to be that guy but this just screams entitlement. It really grinds me gears seeing folks want all this stuff done for peanuts let alone absolutely nothing in this case and wonder why people get annoyed. Because being an artist and especially an animator is bloody difficult! I should know, I've done stopmotion animation when I was in my teens and it's fucking hard work! 

I know others have already stepped in and said things much more eloquently than I could but I just couldn't let it fly.

• Thumbs Up 8

Alright, I didn't say it had to be done, I just said it was my idea. Also I didn't know how long it took to make these types of animations.

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

My recommendation here would be to download Source Filmmaker in chunks (you can pause and resume Steam downloads if internet caps are a problem, just download a little bit of it at a time), and have a play around in the software, if nothing else you'll get an appreciation for how much work is required for massive projects like you're suggesting.

Thanks for the tip, now I can download SFM and finally download and play games on Steam. Okay, I admit it would take a long time to do, especially learning to animate and all that. So, be sure to check out my Youtube channel soon, because I'm going to be doing a series of Sonic SFM's, as soon as I figure out how.

13 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

So, be sure to check out my Youtube channel soon, because I'm going to be doing a series of Sonic SFM's, as soon as I figure out how.

Well, at least you seem to be dedicated to your idea. I hope you'll make it work, it eats time like nothing else (as others have already pointed out pretty thoroughly) but if you really want to do it I suppose you'll find a way to make it work.

Just remember to get some sleep too. ^_^

Gee, even using Gimp takes hours for me since I tend to be too fixed on single pixels, I can't find myself doing full digital 3D animation... all the respect for those who can actually make it work.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well, at least you seem to be dedicated to your idea. I hope you'll make it work, it eats time like nothing else (as others have already pointed out pretty thoroughly) but if you really want to do it I suppose you'll find a way to make it work.

Just remember to get some sleep too. ^_^

Gee, even using Gimp takes hours for me since I tend to be too fixed on single pixels, I can't find myself doing full digital 3D animation... all the respect for those who can actually make it work.

Thanks, I hope I can pull it off. Don't worry I don't do anything to the point of losing sleep. When I do get the hang of making these Sonic SFM's, would you guys want to see me make first: recreate cutscenes or create Sonic vs. type videos?

• Nice Smile 1

An honest opinion would be just try and see whichever suits you best. I'm not too picky and I appreciate used time whichever you choose. :DAnd I don't own any stopwatches for that matter. :lol:

Maybe you could just play around with it for few hours and see which feels the best? Though I suppose the easiest way to start could be to make something you've got lots of referring material and most of the idea already planned out so you could concentrate more on learning how to use the program or something...

Long story short; it's pretty much up to you. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I ran into a problem while trying to resume the SFM download this morning. Last night I paused it at 792MB and I turned it on this morning to let it download a little more and paused it, it then said stopping, which it didn't say the past couple of days, then I go to resume the download and it starts back at 792MB. So, I was wondering if anyone possibly knows how to fix it or know of any websites where I can because I can't find any.

Nevermind I fixed, all I had to do was press the launch button then it started pausing and resuming like normal.

Edited by Blue Knight/Bluestreak