Awoo.

Sonic's world

EzSonic01

I though this would be interesting to discuss: Do Sonic and his friends really have a dimension where they are from? The series has been very inconsistent in this regard. The early western continuity drafts called Sonic's home planet "Mobius", which is mostly linked to the comics but it also extended to the games and cartoons, remaining like that up until Sonic Adventure 2, where it was abandoned.

So what's it now? Today Sonic's world is very vaguely defined, not even having a proper name anymore. Is it Earth? Where do the games take place? Why are there Sonic-like creatures and humans at the same time? 

10 hours ago, FairPlay said:

The early western continuity drafts called Sonic's home planet "Mobius", which is mostly linked to the comics but it also extended to the games and cartoons, remaining like that up until Sonic Adventure 2, where it was abandoned.

"Mobius" was just a part of the western localizations. In Japan, Sonic was always just on Earth. From Adventure onwards (but not specifically stated until Adventure 2), it was just Earth in both the Western and Japanese continuities.

So what's it now? Today Sonic's world is very vaguely defined, not even having a proper name anymore. Is it Earth? Where do the games take place?

Well.. yeah. It's vaguely defined. From apparently Colors, according to Takashi Iizuka, Sonic and friends travel between human and animal worlds depending on the setting of the game.

Why are there Sonic-like creatures and humans at the same time? 

And questions like these are how we ended up with this Two Worlds mess, heh.. They just are. It doesn't have to be complicated, it's a fantasy world and that's how things work. Or at least, it was. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/11/2018 at 5:14 PM, Razule said:

Well.. yeah. It's vaguely defined. From apparently Colors, according to Takashi Iizuka, Sonic and friends travel between human and animal worlds depending on the setting of the game.

And questions like these are how we ended up with this Two Worlds mess, heh.. They just are. It doesn't have to be complicated, it's a fantasy world and that's how things work. Or at least, it was. 

The two worlds thing does not necessarily mean there are two planets. In real life, people often refer to different areas and countries as "first world" or "third world" ("second world" died with the Soviet Union since these concepts and terms are from the Cold War). Similarly, the Mario series all seems to take place on one planet (save for when Mario goes into space like in the Galaxy games), and the Mushroom Kingdom is described as the gateway into the lands of the Mushroom World in Super Mario Bros 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Darth InVaders said:

The two worlds thing does not necessarily mean there are two planets. In real life, people often refer to different areas and countries as "first world" or "third world" ("second world" died with the Soviet Union since these concepts and terms are from the Cold War). Similarly, the Mario series all seems to take place on one planet (save for when Mario goes into space like in the Galaxy games), and the Mushroom Kingdom is described as the gateway into the lands of the Mushroom World in Super Mario Bros 3.

Aaron Webber said there's literally two planets, like Sonic X.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Razule said:

Aaron Webber said there's literally two planets, like Sonic X.

Though Aaron Webber can be a reliable source of info, I'd prefer Sonic Team on something this big of a change to the canon. But can you give me a link anyway? 

8 minutes ago, Darth InVaders said:

Though Aaron Webber can be a reliable source of info, I'd prefer Sonic Team on something this big of a change to the canon. But can you give me a link anyway? 

Two Worlds is so obviously at odds with the games until 06 that they should have just officially declared Sonic Unleashed and later games are a full blown reboot instead of a soft "wink wink we won't call it one but we might act like it" one.

• Fist Bump 1

56 minutes ago, Almar said:

Two Worlds is so obviously at odds with the games until 06 that they should have just officially declared Sonic Unleashed and later games are a full blown reboot instead of a soft "wink wink we won't call it one but we might act like it" one.

Coming from Takashi "every game is in a bubble" Iizuka-sama it might be

• 2 weeks later...

pre-sgw comics explain that it's a future earth with both humans and mobians (animal people) in it. the genesis wave rewrote the multiverse because copyright, but i believe it's still true. they live on one planet

• 1 year later...

I thought sonic was initially from south island? i'm not sure if the manuals specified whether or not it was on earth.. 

robotnik was the only human. though I doubt that he was a native.

5 minutes ago, sonic 1-derful said:

I thought sonic was initially from south island? i'm not sure if the manuals specified whether or not it was on earth.. 

robotnik was the only human. though I doubt that he was a native.

No he was supposedly born on a Christmas Island. South Island is just the first adventure we see him fighting Robotnik again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And tbh, even the whole "Christmas Island" is "early-canon" stuff (and never actually appeared in a game), meaning that it's iffy on continuity. I'm not even sure that they have kept South Island and West Side Island, so I think it's kinda in the limbo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn’t there a whole other backstory somewhere at some point that stated he was from Nebraska?

I heard Sonic was an alien and his best friend isn't Tails, but an everyman named Tom the Cop.

Based on Sonic Team's method of handling continuity, its now impossible to deconfirm this. 

A post I made on a similar topic.

I think the best way to rationalize and try to make sense out of the whole ‘two worlds’ proposal (a future game could of course completely contradict this) is to not take the word ‘world’ to mean a different dimension/planet, but rather different regions of the same world. To me, it would make a lot more sense if some regions/continents of the one world tended to be populated more by humans, and other areas had majority anthro civilizations.

To me, Sonic Adventure actually kind of fits in with this, if you consider Station Square and the Mystic Ruins as locales in the human and animal ‘worlds’, respectively. Station Square is majority human (although Amy appears to be living there at that point), while the Mystic Ruins seems to have more of an anthro civilization and background, with Big and Tails having their own set ups there, not to mention its history with the Echidna Civilization, plus the obviously unfamiliar team of human explorers that are wandering around. The only "portals" or "gateways" people need to travel through are the Station Square train tunnels. ^_^

That's not to say I'm pretending this is the case, just that if one were to try and reconcile Iizuka's comments about Sonic's world with what has been shown in the games, that's one way to view it.

Another small and often missed comment on Sonic's world comes from Yoshitaka Miura, Sonic Forces' art director, who purposefully wanted that game's environments to feature shapes and symbols in place of actual existing letters or any human-based written language, as (according to a google translated sentence, anyway) "The world in which the characters including Sonic live is not a real human world, so it does not use so-called 'letters' such as English as a background.

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/sonicforces/column/20171117_001492/  (The translated sentence is from the paragraph underneath the image of the signs in Ghost Town and Mystic Jungle)