Awoo.

Mario Tennis Aces

Dee Dude

01f3c4f1-2eac-4ed7-a86a-2561bd1af02b_Mar

Official description:Mario steps onto the court in classy tennis garb for intense rallies against a variety of characters in full-blown tennis battles. New wrinkles in tennis gameplay will challenge your ability to read an opponent’s position and stroke to determine which shot will give you the advantage. And this time the game adds the first story mode since the Mario Tennis game on Game Boy Advance, offering a new flavor of tennis gameplay, with a variety of missions, boss battles and more.

Can’t really say I’m excited, the last two Tennis games were really stale, boring, and honestly felt like cash-grabs. I really wanted a new Strikers game instead, it’s long overdue for a new installment imo.

But thankfully, it looks like they’ll sprucing things up a bit such as having a Story Mode, boss battles, and various missions similar to Mario Power Tour on the GBA.

And hey, gotta admit the plumbers look good in those uniforms.

This is actually the first Mario Tennis game in a long time that interest me. That 50 sec teaser already showed that the game has more content than Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. 

Unless they bring back Items Mode, Power Shots, and Super Mario Tennis, and keep clone characters as far away as possible, I reserve judgment until further notice.

Guys...Bloopers could came back!

pffft, hahahahaha just kidding, never gonna happen.

We’ll be lucky if they even bring back the opening Wario & Waluigi shorts that play before the game.

So what bizarre characters will they add this time? I'm predicting Odyssey will be represented by Pauline and at least one Broodal. (Though I'd love if the former happened)

And remember- They're still willing to use Pink Gold Peach:

PinkGoldPeach-Stats-Soccer_MSS.png

Aw fack no, if they’re going all out with this installment then they’ll learn not to make stupid choices, but it’s Nintendo we’re talking about so never mind.

But yeah, considering the Sprixies were in Ultra Smash, they’ll definitely add “new recent character of the day” and put a Broodal in, but unlike the others they actually seem interesting so I don’t mind.

Pauline is a smart choice though.

Shit, this one actually looks pretty interesting. Like they're trying to apologize for Ultra Smash. First time in quite a while my interest has actually been piqued by a Mario sports game...

• Thumbs Up 4

Hoping they bloat the roster, just so everyone gets what they want...

If there's anyway people won't complain about PG Peach being in the game, it's that way...

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Hoping they bloat the roster, just so everyone gets what they want...

If there's anyway people won't complain about PG Peach being in the game, it's that way...

The game could have 100 unique characters and people will still complain that a skinswap character is taking up the slot of a potential 101th character.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's  a fair complaint since the Mario series has dozens of characters to choose instead of an extremely lazy recolor but anyway, this game has me  intrigued. As long as it has more content that Ultra Smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

Recurring characters Mario has few of...and people complained about Queen Bee, so the complaints don't get off much.

The Mario universe has actually really interesting characters to choose from. Pauline, Captain Syrup, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Kamek, Prof. E. Gadd. Heck, they even can have soem fun and put in some non Mario characters like they did with Mario Kart 8. How about having Link, Zelda, Inkling, Fox or Olimar as guest characters? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Captain Syrup, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool aren't Mario characters...

Any of them being in a Mario game is an exception, it isn't guaranteed...

• Thumbs Up 2

Added to which, Captain Syrup and King K. Rool aren't really among the current cast; they basically haven't been used or received design updates in ten years.  I don't see them showing up in spin-offs until they get another main appearance.  So far as characters from other Nintendo franchises go, Nintendo seems to prefer to bring them into Mario spin-offs sparingly, only bringing them into Mario Kart 8 as DLC rather than part of the core package, as I recall; I guess they want those games to remain very much Mario-based rather than becoming Super Smash Tennis, Kart, etc.

No harm in looking for fresher choices in character appearances, though, and I won't pretend I know a great deal otherwise about spin-off cast trends.  But certain choices are less probable.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Oh, boy! Everyone's "favorite" superstar from Mario Party 10 is entering the court!

Spoiler

Though, admittedly, I'd gladly take him over another Baby/Metal clone.

• 3 weeks later...

Bird Koopa, Ostro, and Hoo-Hah are entering the court:

I'm fine with these three, especially considering all of them got shafted from Mario Kart.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

New Japanese promo video, showcasing first footage of Spike in action, a new airship court, and a deeper look into the Story Mode including cutscenes, customization, and Gooper Blooper as a boss!

Between Diddy's recent confirmation and all this, it's SO nice to see another Mario Sports title with a bit of meat.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

This game looks great, but I don’t really like the sound of the break gimmick. The story mode looks better than expected, the graphics look great, and the new courts look cool. I’m glad I preordered it.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, StaticMania said:

Recurring characters Mario has few of...and people complained about Queen Bee, so the complaints don't get off much.

Yeah, because more deserving characters like Waluigi, Birdo, and Diddy Kong were shafted at the expense of an NPC no one asked for.

6 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Yeah, because more deserving characters like Waluigi, Birdo, and Diddy Kong were shafted at the expense of an NPC no one asked for.

No character in Mario is more deserving of anything over anyone...bleh.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

No character in Mario is more deserving of anything over anyone...bleh.

In that case, why not just make the whole roster a bunch of Marios?

I mean, we have: Mario, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Mario, Tanooki Mario, Baby Mario, Paper Mario, Super Mario Brothers Super Show Mario, Jumpman, Green Mario, Super Mario Maker Mario, Penguin Mario, Evil Fat Greedy Mario and so on.

I mean, no one else deserves to be playable, their name isn't in the title, so they can just be NPC's. The game is called  Mario Tennis after all.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

• 2 weeks later...

That Mario Tennis Aces demo is disappointing. Here they advertised it as allowing players to play against CPU players, but it requires an online server to be active. The servers don’t activate until June 1st, and they end on June 3rd...

I can understand the online tournament being a limited time thing, but limiting the cpu vs to online only, that is just plain stupid. What’s the point in having a demo that doesn’t allow you to properly test the game out?...

Anyone interested in a fully leaked roster- both for playable characters and bosses?

Spoiler

MY BOY DRY BOWSER IS BACK

And Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, and Dry Bones really are entering the court, as well! Rounding out the cast are more newcomers: Kamek, Boom Boom, and Blooper! I'm a bit miffed that Pauline wasn't added, but I think this is the first Mario spinoff in quite some time that doesn't really have any questionable new characters. (Get bent, Pink Gold Peach)

As for bosses, we have King Boo and what appears to be some sort of "Ice Golem". (The Rabbids boss?) Other names were leaked, but the translations are too sketchy to draw any conclusions from yet.

• Thumbs Up 2