Awoo.

Mario Tennis Aces

Dee Dude

23 hours ago, SpongicX said:

That Mario Tennis Aces demo is disappointing. Here they advertised it as allowing players to play against CPU players, but it requires an online server to be active. The servers don’t activate until June 1st, and they end on June 3rd...

I can understand the online tournament being a limited time thing, but limiting the cpu vs to online only, that is just plain stupid. What’s the point in having a demo that doesn’t allow you to properly test the game out?...

Plenty of fighting game demos do this already so it doesn't surprise me. Just another one of those questionable things that devs do to keep you from properly trying something out (which is baffling since the arms demo gave you some leeway).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Koopa and Bloopa coming soon...a!

That just leaves (If the dataminers are correct)...

Spoiler

Boom-Boom, Kamek, Diddy, Paratroopa, Birdo, Dry Bones, Shy Guy, Dry Bowser, Baby Mario, and Gold Mario (UGH) to be officially revealed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo's not done yet! Three more veterans are coming sometime after September!

tumblr_pacojlO9aJ1s2z1y6o2_r1_540.jpg

It's about time Birdo was playable again. Now only seven rumored candidates remain...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

He's back again, and about time, too!

Get ready to add some HOO-HAH to your tennis this October! (Or September if you participated in the online tournament)

• 4 weeks later...

First gameplay of Birdo and Paratroopa, along with the surprise announcements of Shy Guy (Another leaked character), and Petey Piranha, who's apparently not content just being here as a boss! In addition, at the :50 mark, Mario appears to be playing against some variant of himself- A bit fuzzy, but I think it might be Gold Mario, who was also reportedly leaked.

And costumes have been revealed for Shy Guy, Boo, and Chain Chomp, with more to follow. You get these costumes by participating in tournaments, just like the add-on characters. Plus an all-new co-op campaign!

Nintendo will continue to add content to the game from now until June next year. Sounds like this really is the biggest bang for your buck as far as Mario Tennis games go!

• Way Past Cool 1

• 1 month later...

One of the best superstars of Mario Tennis is finally returning to the court!

Nice to see him back in action, but I'm still waiting for my boy Dry Bones to be officially announced. 

• 4 weeks later...

WE HAVE NON-DATAMINED FUTURE UPDATE CHARACTERS!

PAULINE HITS THE LINKS!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I've been expecting Pauline to become a franchise regular since Odyssey repopularised her, so it's not entirely surprising to see her show up.  I expect she'll be in a Mario Kart one of these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was looking forward to Boom Boom being officially unveiled, but Pauline singlehandedly made me decide to pick this game up when I get the chance! (Oh, and Luma's back from Tennis Open. Yay?)

So aside from the last three datamined characters:

Spoiler

Kamek, Dry Bones, and Dry Bowser

I'm 100% content with this roster. Maybe they could add Cappy or somehow the T. rex (Watching it attempt to hold a racket would be worth $60 alone) but Ms. 1-Up Girl's been long overdue for the spinoff cast!

• Fist Bump 1

• 1 month later...

Forget Pauline; THIS is the best character we could've gotten!

Spoiler

For the record, Gamexplain uses this Captain Falcon silhouette for any leaked character in any game nowadays, so as not to ruin the surprise. (Something many other YouTube channels might wanna consider.)

But yeah- LINK! Finally, all those Ganondorf fights will pay off! I really hope his racket's a bottle.

"Hey everyone! We've pulled the video about the potential data mine earlier of a new DLC character in Mario Tennis Aces as we've since received evidence that the entire thing may have been fabricated. We're not 100% confident in that information, but to prevent the spread of potential (and likely) misinformation, pulling the video seemed to be for the best. Sorry for anyone who got their hopes up in the event it doesn't come to fruition!"

That's disappointing, but at least Gamexplain is willing to admit they might've been wrong instead of trying to drag it out in a desperate attempt to save face. One of the main reasons why they're my favorite gaming news channel.

• Chuckle 2

Spoiler

It's true that any character from Zelda would normally stick out like a sore thumb among the wackier characters in the Mario world, moreso than someone like Isabelle or Inkling. But thanks to the series focus on more stylized art and Link's softer, silly side he developed over the years, I'd say he at least fits just fine. Putting Link in tennis gear is probably less weird some other outfits hes worn. 

A more serious, realistic character like Samus or Captain Falcon would be too weird by Mario crossover standards. (Besides, Falcon Punching a ball would be to much work for the cleanup crew)

Sonic Racing game: 15 characters. Not enough place for Cream or Espio.

Mario Tennis game: 26 characters. Couldn't decide between Koopa or Shy Guy, so puts both of them.

Life isn't fair :(

(if I was Nintendo I would just officially mix IPs for all those Mario spin-offs. Maybe group them. Mario/Sonic Olympics. Mario/Kirby Party. Mario/Zelda Tennis. Mario/Metroid Golf.

And if Mario Karts had to kill F-Zero they could at least invite Falcon for next game).

That's the last thing I want for the Mario spinoffs. Mario Kart is its own beast so it can keep the crossover IPs, but I don't want every one of them to do that. 

• The title was changed to Mario Tennis Aces
  • 2 weeks later...

We've got another newcomer in two days!

He may not have been invited to the latest party like his sister, but this miniboss is finally getting his chance to shine!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

In case you missed it, the original damsel in distress is finally making her playable debut, and a new co-op challenge has been added that will unlock a nice hat for iron ball doggo!

Version 2.3.0
3rd Co-op Challenge: Shy Guy Train Tussle!

The new Co-op Challenge, Shy Guy Train Tussle, will be available from the start of Ver. 2.3.0 distribution until 9:00 AM on April 15th, 2019. Co-op Challenge is a mode for online play which will only be held for a certain period of time.

Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to play Co-op Challenge.

Shy Guy Train Tussle is played in Swing Mode. You’ll work with other players to get back coins stolen by Shy Guy bandits.

A four-player team of friends or players from online is formed, and your goal is to complete the objective together. (If each player has a controller, up to four players can play on one Nintendo Switch system.)

You can acquire three Shy Guys of different colors (blue, green, and yellow) by completing objectives.

If there aren’t four total players, the necessary number of COM players will be added after a certain amount of time has passed.

But that's not all- Even though they weren't given trailers, two more newcomers are stepping up to the plate-er, court:

MTA_Models_Kamek.png

MTA_Models_DryBones.png

Kamek's due net month (Joining on April Fool's. How fitting), and Dry Bones is in May. The September Direct said they'd keep adding more characters until June 2019, and thanks to that old leak, we know who the last challenger is:

Spoiler

Emblem_kopb_mk8.png

I'd say this is the most solid roster a Mario game has had in quite some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad Pauline after Odyssey is getting a new promotional boost from Nintendo, similar to how Rosalina had one after Galaxy. Here's hoping she's a newcomer for either Mario Kart 8 next DLC batch or the new Mario Kart altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

• 4 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS: An EEEEEEEVIL Koopa Wizard has been spotted on the court!

Next Monday, you too can serve up trouble with ol' Wizen-whatchamacallit- I mean, Kamek! No foolin'!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2019 at 11:32 AM, Teoskaven said:

I'm glad Pauline after Odyssey is getting a new promotional boost from Nintendo, similar to how Rosalina had one after Galaxy. Here's hoping she's a newcomer for either Mario Kart 8 next DLC batch or the new Mario Kart altogether.

Off-topic (slightly) but are there gonna be more DLCs for Mario Kart 8? I haven't been following the news, they said in the past they will add more updates but doesn't mean more DLC content.

• 3 weeks later...

New Opening Cutscene for an updated update:

Amazing, how could they use a voice clip so unfitting of the tone.

Plenty of reused voice clips actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

We are getting FED.

But this new opening cutscene seems to shed a different perspective on Wario and Waluigi's motives with the racquet.

• Thumbs Up 1