Awoo.

Which name do you prefer: Dr. Eggman or Robotnik?

EzSonic01

latest?cb=20151019170606 

As we know, "Robotnik" was conceived by Sega as the western name for the doctor, and, as with planet Mobius, it's usually associated with the old cartoons and comics more than the games, being part of what was the early Sonic canon during the 90s. "Eggman" was initially the character's name in Japan, and, while it was very rarely seen or mentioned back then, sometimes it popped up as well, such as in the markings of Wing Fortress in Sonic 2.

Sonic Adventure used both, with the doc calling himself "Robotnik", and the rest of the characters "Eggman". That was dropped by the next game with the universal use of "Eggman". Sonic Generations made a small reference to his old name when classic Tails called Eggman's classic counterpart "Robotnik", but hasn't been used since then.

So, what do you think about this? I personally like both. "Robotnik" sounds menacing and threatening, while "Eggman" is more goofy and funnier, which all describe his character pretty nicely.

Eggman. Simply out of personal attachment.

I grew up with Sonic X, so I knew Eggman first. Granted, not long after, I got my hands on some classic material and I was exposed to Robotnik. So even at a very young age, I liked both names.

But as a person who has a stronger attachment to the modern games, I prefer Eggman. Plus, I just find that it rolls off the tongue easier for me.

I do usually have a compromise for myself, though. I always refer to Classic Eggman as "Robotnik" while the modern design I deem as "Eggman".

"Eggman being a nickname in SA1 was just an SOA invention"

"Both of them are stupid names"

"How is 'Robotnik' menacing"

"Why does it matter at all"

"Eggman was seen in-game as far back as Wing Fortress Zone, proving people who thought his name was always Robotnik wrong"

Here, I saved y'all the trouble of replying to this topic with any of these completely irrelevant responses or any variations thereof. This topic is about personal preference and not about which name is better or correct, so keep that in mind before you reply. Any posts that are basically the above will be deleted on the spot.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think Eggman's more fitting. Sure, he uses robots, but he is an egg man. And it helps ground all the egg theming he does; it's easy to see Eggman making the Death Egg and Eggrobos as reflections of himself, but why's Robotnik care so much about eggs? Conversely a mad scientist making evil robots is already sensible enough that "Robotnik" isn't really adding any insight to that. And I think "Eggman" fits the ridiculous nature of both the character himself and the series as a whole better than "Robotnik".

I'm fine with the middle ground we have right now. Robotnik's his real name, but Eggman's the villain moniker he took to at some point and stuck with. I guess it's just a bit of a shame they haven't really referenced the former since, what, SA2? Maybe they did it in Heroes or ShTH too but for the life of me I can't remember.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Eggman is so much catchier and easier to say than Robotnik is. I grew up with Robotnik initially as I'm sure many others here did, but he's Eggman to me now. The best case scenario is that his real name is Dr Ivo Robotnik and Eggman is his "super villain" name, so it's a bit of a shame that's not referred to more often. But still: Eggman > Robotnik.

• Thumbs Up 4

I say both depending on the series I'm playing/watching. I've always thought Eggman was more fun, though.

I liked the way they did it in Sonic Adventure 1: Robotnik being his real name while everybody else calling him Eggman. I also felt it was a neat touch that he called himself Robotnik in that game as well, while 'Eggman' was really a nickname used to mock him. Gave their 'relationship' a bit more depth and character IMO that Sonic didn't call him by his real name, using that nickname instead. Hearing himself calling himself Eggman later on was just weird for me, basically referring to himself with a mocking nickname.

But I don't really have a problem with either of them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

It depends on how grounded you want the universe to be, really.  I can imagine somebody being born with the surname "Robotnik," just about, but being born "Eggman"?  If you want to think about things like context and backstory (as they did in SA2), the doctor's real name being Robotnik is mandatory, even if you retain Eggman as a nickname.  For this reason, I absolutely think that the current canonical compromise was the best approach, even if they barely ever reference it.

...More of a can of worms, but I was thoroughly happy with Sonic's world being "Mobius," too - or, really, anything other than "Earth," which it blatantly never was.  Certainly there can be no suggestion that "Sonic's world" is an improvement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, not a single "Robotnik forever" comment. I'm honestly surprised.

I was also raised on SA1 and Sonic X, so Eggman is the easy winner.

Besides, I'm Polish. In my country "Eggman" means nothing. "Robotnik" is a word meaning factory worker.

depositphotos_7532560-stock-illustration

So yeah, I'm perfectly happy with Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

The only good argument I heard for Robotnik (besides tradition of course) is that it connects him with word Badnik (both end with "-nik").

Robotnik for me. Sounds rougher. Hits a better balance in rough danger and goofy cheese more then Eggman that sounds full blown Clownish.

I definitely think Robotnik sounds cooler and a bit more realistic, but I'm very happy with either. I don't consider either to be superior in the grand scheme of things.

I really think the "Robotnik is his real name, Eggman is his supervillian moniker" is the most fantastically elegant solution they could've come up with and completely fits his character, but like others I wish it was referenced a little more often.

I hate how it was handled in Sonic Adventure due to all the horrific confusion it causes with Eggman referring to himself using the insult Sonic gave him in the next game.  One of the few plotholes in Sonic I am happy to accept as "just a plothole" rather than coming up with headcanons to explain it.

Yes there's the whole idea of "Maybe Eggman reclaimed the insult off Sonic so he couldn't insult him anymore" but I can't see Eggman wanting to adopt ANYTHING that originated from his arch-nemesis, and Sonic just comes up with other things anyway.  Doesn't fit quite right to me.

The only exception, as ever, is in AoStH, who is absolutely always Dr. Ivo Rrrrrrrrrobotnik (though it's cool to refer to him as an iteration of Eggman in the context of the series as a whole).

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Honestly I wish it was just Eggman. The whole "Robotnik is his real name" thing is just a bunch of unneeded baggage. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, A crocodile said:

Honestly I wish it was just Eggman. The whole "Robotnik is his real name" thing is just a bunch of unneeded baggage. 

It's no different to Tails' real name being Miles Prower. And with Gerald and Maria having been important characters, using Robotnik as a family name is a sensible bit of continuity. If anything at all, I just think that it's nice that both the Japanese and Western names can be canon.

If they ever remake SA1, I'd like to see Sonic call him Robotnik, only for him to get annoyed and demand that he's called Eggman instead.

• Thumbs Up 3

Personal preference? i call him both (and like both), or even Ivo, depends on the situation,

But when i'm in a lose streak in some boss battle, it's usually "Dammit Eggman" that i shout :lol:

so, i guess i'll go with Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik

Adventures of: Robotnik

SatAM: Robotnik 

Underground, even though I've never watched it: Robotnik

Sonc X: Eggman

Boom: Absolutely Eggman

Archie Comics: Robotnik for the original, Eggman for the successor, but both are fine.

Games: Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, though I'll happily say just "Eggman" for short.

I don't care. I really have no clue why this is such a big deal to people as both names are equally silly.

Woops missed that second post. Honestly I meant what I said both names are silly and both fit him. Don't really prefer one over the other. It's like saying "His name's King Koopa not Bowser" TBH.

16 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't care. I really have no clue why this is such a big deal to people as both names are equally silly.

Woops missed that second post. Honestly I meant what I said both names are silly and both fit him. Don't really prefer one over the other. It's like saying "His name's King Koopa not Bowser" TBH.

Hey, that's King SCOOPA Koopa to you, bub!

Respect the sauce.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I run with the best of worlds:

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

Eggman of course being the catchy supervillain/"middle" name. 

Akin to Miles "Tails" Prower or Norville "Shaggy" Rogers.

• Thumbs Up 2