Awoo.

Which name do you prefer: Dr. Eggman or Robotnik?

EzSonic01

I grew up on Robotnik, as I (warning: cliched response ahead) think it's more menacing, and I just think it sounds better overall.

I tend to refer to him as Robotnik when it involves the classic era design as it's the name I've associated with it for the larger part of my childhood, and Eggman for the Adventure design and onward. Both are canon. Both are valid. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I prefer Dr Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik similar to how Tails is really Miles "Tails" Prower

Admittedly Ivo has not been used since the original Sonic game's English release (when excluding rereleases and alternate universe materials like tv shows and comics), I just like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I personally find Eggman easier to day and more fun, and it really suits him, just look at his shape, but like many others, this was the name I grew up while playing the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how Sonic Advenure did it; it bridged the two names perfectly.

Eggman is a stupid name. I like when he calls himself Robotnik, but the other characters use Eggman as an insult.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Chaos Incarnate said:

I love how Sonic Advenure did it; it bridged the two names perfectly.

Eggman is a stupid name. I like when he calls himself Robotnik, but the other characters use Eggman as an insult.

I liked this, but they didn't stick with it...

I like'em both. I just find a little annoying that he uses Eggman to refer himself when Sonic and pals uses to mock him and he seemed annoyed by that (SA). It's a bit incoherent

On 1/18/2018 at 9:28 AM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Adventures of: Robotnik

SatAM: Robotnik 

Underground, even though I've never watched it: Robotnik

Sonc X: Eggman

Boom: Absolutely Eggman

Archie Comics: Robotnik for the original, Eggman for the successor, but both are fine.

Games: Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, though I'll happily say just "Eggman" for short.

I use something similar to this.  If he wears blue pince-nez glasses, white gloves, and has a constant grin, he's Eggman regardless of "era".  If he's one of the many cheap western knock-offs with a cone-shaped head, black sclera/empty eye sockets, and a constant scowl, he's Robotnik.

• Promotion 1

I'll point out that the "Eggman picked up the nickname from Sonic" interpretation was acknowledged by Naka himself as maybe the case. He also called it a term of endearment instead of an insult.

I'm rather fond of how Sega blended the two continuities to make both names canon, with Robotnik as his family name and Eggman as more of a supervillain alias.

That said, I like Eggman better on the whole. I feel like it fits his wacky nature better, and it's what he's always calling himself, so clearly he likes going by Eggman rather than Robotnik too.

• Thumbs Up 3

Always personally thought Eggman was a dumb name, though it doesn't bother me at all. I mean, I'm so used to it after almost 20 years, I even retroactively refer to him as Eggman in the classic games as well.

Robotnik is a friggin' awesome name, though. Wish they'd call him that more often.

I like the way it was presented in Generations. Robotnik is basically his government name, but he prefers to be called Eggman, as if he evolved or something.  I will personally always associate the classic designs with the name "Robotnik" but use Eggman for the modern outings.

Hearing "Dr. Robotnik!" in generations put the biggest grin on my face btw.  That's nostalgia at it's finest for me

Dumb question: did anyone prefers the name he DIDN'T grew up with (and I mean "prefers", not "grew to accept it").

I'm just wondering if Sega goes drunk and changes his name to  "Mc NoseHair" or something, will in 40 years majority of people just accept that name as well.

Robotnik sounds better to me since it sounds villainous. Eggman doesn't sound like a villain name to me.

I always preferred Eggman. It rolls off the tongue better. I always liked how the Eggman name would attach to the names of his creations, like the Egg Carrier, and the E-100 series.

Eggman is a suitable name for a silly evil egg shaped madman.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, I think both names fit the man well enough. At least it's not the "Robotonikz" that we've got here in Russia, and not the "Moustashon" from the Spanish AoSTH that I have to choose from.

Although, my personal fav has to be Robotnik, primarily due to it reflecting WHAT HE DOES better that "Eggman".

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/26/18 at 12:00 PM, A person, that exists said:

Although, my personal fav has to be Robotnik, primarily due to it reflecting WHAT HE DOES better that "Eggman".

What villain needs a name that reflects what they do? That honestly seems just as silly as being named after how he's shaped...

I actually grew up more with "Robotnik."

However, Eggman was a lot easier to say, and matched the theme of a lot of his egg shaped or egg-termed creations. And I'm not gonna like, "Eggman Empire" sounds ironically silly and menacing at the same time, and roles off the tongue a lot better than Robotnikland or anything along those lines--the closest the name Robotnik sounded good for territory was when someone, not sure who, made the name Robotnik Republic...although I kinda prefer empires more.:P

I've always preferred "Dr. Eggman" as it's catchy and just fits him better; constantly using "egg" in all his mechs and bases kind of adds to that.

Though I don't dislike "Robotnik" as much as I used to, I like the idea that's his actual surname. The name "Ivo" though, just makes me think of all the Western cone-headed incarnations. Meh.

On 1/17/2018 at 11:18 PM, Diogenes said:

Sure, he uses robots, but he is an egg man. And it helps ground all the egg theming he does; it's easy to see Eggman making the Death Egg and Eggrobos as reflections of himself, but why's Robotnik care so much about eggs?

Ooh, I've answered this question before on different forums! Fans from the Dreamcast and Modern eras have periodically asked questions along the lines of: "Why didn't you assume his name was Eggman? It was written on Wing Fortress, and it fits his egg themes." As in, I think some modern fans are genuinely perplexed about how naive we must have been.

So I'll give you some insight on what was going on in MY mind, at least. Other '90s kids can offer their own answers.

* I never thought of Dr. Robotnik as being "egg-shaped". I just considered him to be fat. There was no indication that he was obsessed with eggs.

* The Death Egg was, very obviously, a reference to the Death Star from Star Wars. So instead of "star", what could the designers use as another monosyllablic word for a round object? Egg. The round spaceship looked enough like an egg, moreso than a star at least!

* The Eggrobo badniks were robots that came from the Death Egg, naturally. (This style of naming makes so much sense that, years later, the final boss of Sonic 2 was retroactively named the Death Egg Robot. Yes, Death Egg Robot. Exact same nomenclature. Even though that one's more of a battlesuit mecha than a robot!)

* I never saw "EGGMAN" written on Wing Fortress. But if I had, it wouldn't have mattered. You know why? Because that would be like a tank with the words "TANKMAN" written on it. It would be like a proctologist's car with a license plate reading "ASSMAN" written on it (which was the plot of a Seinfeld episode).

Here's a picture of a WWII Flying Fortress. Do we assume the pilot's name is Captain Sweetheart?

61dd85dd690ff8d6a964be041fe89ea3--aviati

I've never even heard of a boat/plane/spaceship with its creator's name written on it. Had I seen "Eggman" written on Wing Fortress, I would've probably assumed it to be the plane's name - especially considering its role with the Death Egg.

And that's all. For any of you actually wondering how we old folks missed it all, that's what was going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always called him Eggman, but Robotnik is fine too. I refuse to acknowledge Nosehair however.

On a related note, does anyone else think it's funny how stuff like the Sonic Bible and StC avoided calling him Eggman despite him being literally half egg in those works?