Jump to content
Awoo.

The Possibility of Sonic Adventure HD


ClassicKnuckles
 Share

Recommended Posts

Dunno if this fits here or in GHZ, but I dunno. Feel free to move this thread if needed. I wonder if SEGA will release a HD remake of Adventure for Adventure's 20th anniversary next year. (This year, because of Japan's release date? I dunno...) I hope they do remake Adventure, as Sonic Adventure is the closest 3D game to the Classic, in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ClassicKnuckles said:

Dunno if this fits here or in GHZ, but I dunno. Feel free to move this thread if needed. I wonder if SEGA will release a HD remake of Adventure for Adventure's 20th anniversary next year. (This year, because of Japan's release date? I dunno...) I hope they do remake Adventure, as Sonic Adventure is the closest 3D game to the Classic, in my opinion.

In GHZ since Adventure HD remakes have not been confirmed anywhere. But would love the first game be remade in HD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't want this for many reasons.The short answer is that there too much contest that can be fixed.

Easier to just make a new game, not called Adventure 3, but taking good ideas from SA titles.

To use a metaphor, classic fans like ice cream, adventure fans like pizza. Sonic Mania is amazing ice cream. Adventure games are okay pizza. Best we had, but it's better to change formula rather than... add more spices.... My metaphor starts falling apart, but I think you're a gettinfthe idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A remastered version for the 20th anniversary would be lovely. A lot of fans (myself included) argue that SA has the best gameplay out of all the modern games. Would be fun to play an improved version for current-gen.

12 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Unless someone like Christian Whitehead comes up to Sega to pitch this idea to them then it won't happen. They've already remastered it for PSN and XBLA, what SA1 really needs is a remake, not a port.

"already remastered" by which you are referring to the lame port which was available digitally on last-gen. A few years ago SEGA made some performance tweaks to the PC port which didn't really improve anything and went more or less unnoticed.

I wouldn't mind Christian Whitehead being given the opportunity to work on a remaster of SA (he was creating his own 3d engine for a Dreamcast inspired game prior to working on Mania). I think he'd do a better job than Sonic Team ever could.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite the fact that I have absolutely no faith in Sonic Team to put out a decent remake of SA1, at this point does anyone want more fucking remakes and nostalgia? We've had Sonic 4, Generations, Mania, Forces and whatever else already. No more poorly put together nostalgia please. I want something good and original. And failing that (because this is SEGA we're talking about), at least something original.

If you'd asked me this before Generations was announced, I'd have been all over the idea. But since then, the series has done nothing anything except "hey guys remember when Sonic was good?". I definitely don't want it now, but I'd be more interested in it than I was in Forces to be entirely honest. Not likely to happen though.

  • Thumbs Up 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Could it happen? Likely.

Will it happen? Unlikely.

Would Sonic Team do it well? Extremely unlikely.

 

I appreciate the idea of remastering Sonic Adventure for the modern age, but I have absolutely no faith that Sonic Team could accomplish it.

My thoughts exactly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want an SA remake under even the best of circumstances. A lot of SA is either severely dated or just plain bad, and not just because of bugs, wonky controls, or outdated graphics. Does anyone really want to play through Big's levels again? Could anything make Knuckles' hot-or-cold treasure hunting engaging, or Tails flying through Sonic's stages not broken? Even a lot of Sonic's levels aren't all that great. It'd take so much work to get the game up to a presentable level, I'd rather see that time and effort be put towards a new game rather than another instance of looking back and nostalgia pandering.

  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want an SA remake under even the best of circumstances. A lot of SA is either severely dated or just plain bad, and not just because of bugs, wonky controls, or outdated graphics. Does anyone really want to play through Big's levels again? Could anything make Knuckles' hot-or-cold treasure hunting engaging, or Tails flying through Sonic's stages not broken? Even a lot of Sonic's levels aren't all that great. It'd take so much work to get the game up to a presentable level, I'd rather see that time and effort be put towards a new game rather than another instance of looking back and nostalgia pandering.

I mean, I would personally change all of the playstyles to be variations of Sonic's gameplay, dropping all of the genre roulette nonsense. But at this point it would be a totally restructuring of the game, and is even less likely than a more faithful remake. I'm suggesting so much change that it's basically an entirely new game to the extent that there's really no point in it being a remake at all. 

A straight up remake with treasure hunting and fishing and whatever else would very likely suck on principle alone.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

The nuances of Sonic Adventure's gameplay should be kept if they remake it. This includes the genre roulette that's not even really genre roulette because almost all if it is movement based platforming. The goals are just different to suit their abilities.

Just tighten up what's there and stay loyal. Make Knuckles's stages a bit bigger so they aren't a cakewalk. If you really want to unbreak Tails's stages and ruin the fun alter the level design a bit so you have more to interact with in the air. Tweak Amy's top speed a bit. Small changes instead of big ones. Respect the vision of Sonic Adventure and bring the game closer to realizing it.

The benefit of this project would be a nice engine that would make Sonic controllable at a lower pace, too. It'd be pushing the series forward at the same time.
 

What if we got a Crash Bandicoot: the N Sane Trilogy style game with SA1 and SA2, but after that, they took the engine and made a Sonic Adventure-style game? (Maybe even SA3?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ClassicKnuckles said:

What if we got a Crash Bandicoot: the N Sane Trilogy style game with SA1 and SA2, but after that, they took the engine and made a Sonic Adventure-style game? (Maybe even SA3?)

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are much bigger games than Crash and they're really different than eachother unlike the Crash games, where you could have a similar physics engine and reuse a lot of models across all games and save a lot of work.

I'd like remakes of both but I wouldn't want to ask them to do both at once. 

  • Thumbs Up 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonic Adventure should have the treatment that the first Tomb Raider had with Anniversary. Tomb Raider 1 is a pretty outdated game, graphics, controls, could be even worse than SA1. And Tomb Raider Anniversary fixes a lot of those problems, and then adds a lot of new things that are more than welcome. Staying faithful but not afraid to change things for the better. That's how a SA1 remake should be. Tweaked controls, graphics, level design, cutscenes, hub worlds, and removing ideas that didn't work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hot take here but I wouldn't even take Big out the game. Just make him an optional thing or a minigame or something if it's that bothersome.

It's hard to say what you should add. I'd like for Tails and Knuckles to have more levels but you don't want to throw off the pacing of the story too much. Because of how th game is you'd have to write new stuff in for every level. Maybe there'd just be optional bonus stages that you could find by exploring the presumably bigger hubs? The hubs should be bigger and more interactive even if it's only to hide more emblems or something. The new areas don't have to do anything in the story.

  • Thumbs Up 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Hot take here but I wouldn't even take Big out the game. Just make him an optional thing or a minigame or something if it's that bothersome.

It's hard to say what you should add. I'd like for Tails and Knuckles to have more levels but you don't want to throw off the pacing of the story too much. Because of how th game is you'd have to write new stuff in for every level. Maybe there'd just be optional bonus stages that you could find by exploring the presumably bigger hubs? The hubs should be bigger and more interactive even if it's only to hide more emblems or something. The new areas don't have to do anything in the story.

I feel as if they should keep everything the same, just in HD and with a new engine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Hot take here but I wouldn't even take Big out the game. Just make him an optional thing or a minigame or something if it's that bothersome.

It's hard to say what you should add. I'd like for Tails and Knuckles to have more levels but you don't want to throw off the pacing of the story too much. Because of how th game is you'd have to write new stuff in for every level. Maybe there'd just be optional bonus stages that you could find by exploring the presumably bigger hubs? The hubs should be bigger and more interactive even if it's only to hide more emblems or something. The new areas don't have to do anything in the story.

Maybe give the hub worlds the Unleashed treatment, let them have NPCs that offer sidequests instead of the mission system from SADX. That wouldn't hurt much.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Maybe give the hub worlds the Unleashed treatment, let them have NPCs that offer sidequests instead of the mission system from SADX. That wouldn't hurt much.

That's a good idea. You could fit new content in with the NPCs, gives them something more to do and makes it so the new content is optional and doesn't interfere with the game that much.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Catch 22. If you don't address the glaring design flaws and change the structure, then the game won't have aged well and will receive it's due criticism. If you do apply any major structural changes, you'll receive endless flak from purists who wanted the exact same game with little to no changes, and they'll wonder why you didn't just make an entirely new game to begin with.

It's less dangerous to just release an (actual) enhanced port than to risk an overhaul or remake, I think. As mush as I think Adventure 1 deserves a serious upgrade, I just don't think it's worth the potential damage it could cause.

Sad truth you got there... Oh well.

I still think the game should have some type of improvement. Not like a FFVII type of remake, more like a Crash N. Sane Trilogy or Tomb Raider Anniversary type of remake.

Spoiler

Just fix those horrible cutscenes is all I ask for

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they do decide to remake Adventure 1 & 2, I'll give the biggest eye-roll ever. They probably would considering how creatively bankrupt Sonic Team seem to be.

Please no. Why don't we learn from what worked and what didn't work and use this to create a fresh new experience? Something that stands up on its own two feet and doesn't come across as the most blatant form of nostalgia pandering. That'd be good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.