Awoo.

The Possibility of Sonic Adventure HD

ClassicKnuckles

It could work but at the same time it can go very very wrong. 

I would love to see a total remake of Sonic Adventure. The original has alot of flaws but alot of good ideas that I think can be perfected with today's tech. Unfortunately, I'm on the side of not trusting sonic team. I might be on board if it's done by some other team, a team with a better track record. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

To make a remade Sonic Adventure game in 2018 that isn't hopelessly outdated would require a game so dramatically different that it wouldn't really be Sonic Adventure anymore. There are fundamental flaws with the game that the series immediately improved upon (not to say Adventure 2 doesn't have it's own, different problems, mind) that I'd say were really only let go back in 1998/1999 because you could count on one hand the amount of purely 3D platformers that were actually better by that point and OMG DREAMCAST SEGA'S BACK.

• Thumbs Up 4

After playing Sonic Adventures not too long ago, it's very clear the game has aged poorly.  A faithful remake would likely be trashed review wise. I would prefer a completely reimagined game with a similar mentality to  generations which had all new stage layouts but kept memorable setpieces. As the others said though, it's extremely unlikely and ultimately unnecessary. It's time we left the past to rot.

If a brand new HD version of SA1 were to happen, I don't want a remaster, but an outright remake. Sonic Team shouldn't be the ones in charge of remaking the game, though; they'd likely mess it up.

I'd rather see someone else take a crack at remaking the game. I have fond memories of the game, but it has a lot of issues that could use fixing. Tweaking the controls, and the camera and such would help tremendously. The graphics could also use some improving, but a remake would improve that.

I would still try to stick as close as I can to the original, but put in fixes that wpuld improve the overall experience. But I'd at least try to keep the good stuff and fix the bad.

For those who prefer the original version, however, I'd see if I could include it somewhere so that those who prefer it can play it. I'd certainly try to make it the best port; based on the Dreamcast version, but make sure the port is as good as it can be, right down to testing it alongside the original to make sure if nothing else, we don't end up leaving any new bugs in there.

• Thumbs Up 4

At this point I'd just settle with a port that has the Dreamcast's original lighting, textures, the ability to switch between original and dx models, and the general bugfixes. That's never gonna happen, but it's still more likely than Adventure getting a full remake.

Really though this franchise has never done remakes, I don't expect them to start anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

No thanks on a remake, but I would really like a Sonic Mega Collection-style release of some of the early 3D games for Switch.

Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog

• Thumbs Up 1

Since with each released port, Sonic Adventure is looking worst and less fun, I definitely wouldn't trust Sega on a remaster.

Instead hand it over to Bluepoint, those guys are amazing when it comes to remasters.

• Thumbs Up 5

A remake would be great...as long as it isn’t done by the current Sonic Team. >>

Also, they’d have to make a quite a few tweaks to the controls and of course the awful camera. Basically, start over from scratch instead of working off that old, janky engine.

• Thumbs Up 3

I thought people were tired of "nostalgia pandering"?

Don't you all badly want an original game that pushes the brand and gameplay forward?

I truly have a special place in my heart for SA1. I'm almost as nostalgic over it as S3K for being the only game to seriously attempt classic gameplay in 3D.

But this definitely ain't the thing needed right now. 

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Don't you all badly want an original game that pushes the brand and gameplay forward?

Yes, but we've seen what happens when Sonic Team try to do that.  When their new ideas fail so badly, it's natural for people to look back on older ideas.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 2

The problems is when Sega wants to try new ideas, they go for unusual methods, like adding sword, guns and werehogs, which don't fit at all in a Sonic Universe, hence failing miserably. So what they do is resort to nostalgia elements, it's a cheap way of bringing older fans and gimmicks, however they often work. Just look at Generations and Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2018 at 12:14 AM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I thought people were tired of "nostalgia pandering"?

I truly have a special place in my heart for SA1. I'm almost as nostalgic over it as S3K for being the only game to seriously attempt classic gameplay in 3D.

But this definitely ain't the thing needed right now. 

I'm tired of nostalgia pandering in new games. I have no problem with ports and remasters.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, Ninjice said:

The problems is when Sega wants to try new ideas, they go for unusual methods, like adding sword, guns and werehogs, which don't fit at all in a Sonic Universe, hence failing miserably. So what they do is resort to nostalgia elements, it's a cheap way of bringing older fans and gimmicks, however they often work. Just look at Generations and Mania.

This statment makes no sense. They dont belong? And what exactly belongs in a world with a running blue hedgehog, fighting a human that creates mechs and weapons with guns and missles? Anything can belong in the sonic verse as long as it's well implemented.  guns were added not on a whim but because fans asked for it. Swords fit a medieval theme. Sega just needs to actually make the games behind those features good 

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

guns were added not on a whim but because fans asked for it. 

We did!? 

What knob head asked for this!?

Who are these people!? Did someone accidentally click on the SA3facebook page!?

... .... 

Yeah they were added on a whim. They were added because Sonic Team a Japanese developer looked at what western customers were playing and it happened to be during the FPS and third person shooter boom.

Want to say this was confirmed in the history of Sonic book (the 20th anniversary) one and I'm sure it's been confirmed since in a few interviews here and there.

• Thumbs Up 4

47 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

This statment makes no sense. They dont belong? And what exactly belongs in a world with a running blue hedgehog, fighting a human that creates mechs and weapons with guns and missles? Anything can belong in the sonic verse as long as it's well implemented.

God I hate this attitude. No matter how ridiculous a series' premise is, it should still be consistent within itself. That's how a series builds and maintains its own identity, it's part of how a series builds up meaning and depth, and allows the audience to trust that there is actually some kind of goal in mind, something in the series worth caring about, and not just random twisting and turning as it tries to keep up with whatever's popular.

• Thumbs Up 9

There seems to be a mixture of facts here. Hogfather is correct in that no one in their right mind asked for Shadow the Hedgehog as we received it beyond there being a popularity poll asking which character (besides Sonic) was everyone's favorite. The story that Sonic Team/SEGA of Japan received requests for shooting in a Sonic game has to do with Gamma's gameplay in Sonic Adventure, and even then the accuracy of this is in question; Sonic Adventure is generally understood to be a glorified tech demo for the Sega Dreamcast, so between virtual pets and the fishing simulator, a shooting game was eventually going to wind up in there somehow. Take note that this doesn't feature realistic rifles or pistols, but large cartoony rainbow laser guns attached to egg-shaped robots.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

We did!? 

What knob head asked for this!?

Who are these people!? Did someone accidentally click on the SA3facebook page!?

... .... 

Yeah they were added on a whim. They were added because Sonic Team a Japanese developer looked at what western customers were playing and it happened to be during the FPS and third person shooter boom.

Want to say this was confirmed in the history of Sonic book (the 20th anniversary) one and I'm sure it's been confirmed since in a few interviews here and there.

Nope fans asked for it. Indigo pretty much summed it up. They did not ask for the form of how shadow came out but they wanted more shooting in sonic.

48 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

God I hate this attitude. No matter how ridiculous a series' premise is, it should still be consistent within itself. That's how a series builds and maintains its own identity, it's part of how a series builds up meaning and depth, and allows the audience to trust that there is actually some kind of goal in mind, something in the series worth caring about, and not just random twisting and turning as it tries to keep up with whatever's popular.

Sonic used to be about a simple hedgehog saving animals in machines fight ing a doctor wanting to get the emeralds to power his factories. To a doctor out to build a death star type weapon to conquer the world who in turns goes after a emerald on a float f island to power it. From the we revive a water god to fight to a giant space lizard who's the brother of sorts to a black hedgehog who's best human friend was gunned down while the entire time eggman goes from wanting to build a park to world domination on a whim. To fighting the devil and let's not forget the earth god. Swords and guns hardly take away from it's identity. I never see fans of Mario gripe when Mario dons a suit of armor or sambreo when the game I grew up on was simply about stepping on turtles. Sonics premise is what his creators deem in thier universes not what we like to latch onto in bits and pieces to define as the definite universe portions we enjoy. Heck sonic was a cop at one time. He should arrest eggman eventually.

13 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Sonic used to be about a simple hedgehog saving animals in machines fight ing a doctor wanting to get the emeralds to power his factories. To a doctor out to build a death star type weapon to conquer the world who in turns goes after a emerald on a float f island to power it. From the we revive a water god to fight to a giant space lizard who's the brother of sorts to a black hedgehog who's best human friend was gunned down while the entire time eggman goes from wanting to build a park to world domination on a whim. To fighting the devil and let's not forget the earth god. Swords and guns hardly take away from it's identity.

You are basically making a list of how that attitude fucked up the series and then declaring that, because of those things, that attitude can't fuck up the series.

I never see fans of Mario gripe when Mario dons a suit of armor or sambreo when the game I grew up on was simply about stepping on turtles.

"Character with iconic hat wears various hats in game about hats" isn't even remotely close to "lol just do whatever". The Mario series generally does a very good job of integrating its gimmicks and new ideas into the established universe, and part of that is choosing gimmicks that can be integrated naturally.

Sonics premise is what his creators deem in thier universes not what we like to latch onto in bits and pieces to define as the definite universe portions we enjoy.

Yeah, okay, sure, Sonic is whatever they decide it to be, but apparently they've decided Sonic should be a worthless load of soulless shit that just chases random trends instead of having its own identity and any kind of meaning worth caring about, which, it turns out, isn't a great way to run a series. So they're entirely within their rights to continue making a trash series, but maybe, for their sake and ours, they shouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

I also recall reading on some website citing an interview that claimed Sonic Team gave Shadow guns because some fans wrote them about wanting Sonic to use guns, Sonic Team didn't think Sonic + guns was a good idea, but Shadow + guns was a no brainer. Dunno how true this is tho, lol.

If true however, they were very terrible on deciding what suggestions were actually worth listening to I'll tell you that much.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

This statment makes no sense. They dont belong? And what exactly belongs in a world with a running blue hedgehog, fighting a human that creates mechs and weapons with guns and missles?

Certainly not fucking anything in ShtH. The immediate and deafening roar that that game got from literally its announcement, even though (and this is frequently misremembered 13 years later) the series was at the time in pretty good standing, should have been enough of an indicator of that for Sonic Team. No matter how good ShtH was or could have been, it was never going to be (and, crucially, wasn't) given a fair shake. That it ended up being a somewhat-better-playing version of Sonic Heroes (a game that, again, was fairly well liked at the time) is basically irrelevant compared to how incomprehensibly terrible it was conceptually.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, did a quick search, and found this that might answer a few questions,: http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/654/654735p1.html

GameSpy: Out of all the characters currently in the Sonic story, why did you choose to focus on Shadow for a new game?

Naka When we took a look at which Sonic characters were popular among fans, Shadow was ranked right behind Sonic. We've also wanted to do a "gun action" game for a while now, and he seemed to be the best fit for that idea. He and Sonic have a very different identity, after all. Finally, as we've been building the Sonic brand, we've had ideas of doing a spin-off series, so perhaps that's what Shadow will lead to.

GameSpy: Shadow's always been portrayed as a character who can't be defined as wholly good or wholly evil. We've seen that during the game the player can do actions which affect which alignment he leans towards. How does this affect the progression of the story and gameplay?

Naka In all the stages, Shadow can complete missions for either the dark or the light side. So depending on the player's actions, the story will change and new stages will open up. We've seen before that Shadow is looking for a reason for his existence, so Shadow the Hedgehog is all about giving you the opportunity to find that reason for him.

GameSpy: Many people were initially surprised to see Shadow with a weapon, which is unusual for the Sonic series. Why did you decide to give Shadow the ability to bear arms?

Naka Well, there have been some shooting sequences in the Sonic Adventure games before, but they've been more "stand-and-shoot" style bits. We really wanted to challenge ourselves and do a high-speed gun action game. We decided that Shadow would be the perfect venue by which to try our hand at this genre.

11 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Certainly not fucking anything in ShtH. The immediate and deafening roar that that game got from literally its announcement, even though (and this is frequently misremembered 13 years later) the series was at the time in pretty good standing, should have been enough of an indicator of that for Sonic Team. No matter how good ShtH was or could have been, it was never going to be (and, crucially, wasn't) given a fair shake. That it ended up being a somewhat-better-playing version of Sonic Heroes (a game that, again, was fairly well liked at the time) is basically irrelevant compared to how incomprehensibly terrible it was conceptually.

.....i never mentioned that game lol I meant sonic in general.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

You are basically making a list of how that attitude fucked up the series and then declaring that, because of those things, that attitude can't fuck up the series.

"Character with iconic hat wears various hats in game about hats" isn't even remotely close to "lol just do whatever". The Mario series generally does a very good job of integrating its gimmicks and new ideas into the established universe, and part of that is choosing gimmicks that can be integrated naturally.

Yeah, okay, sure, Sonic is whatever they decide it to be, but apparently they've decided Sonic should be a worthless load of soulless shit that just chases random trends instead of having its own identity and any kind of meaning worth caring about, which, it turns out, isn't a great way to run a series. So they're entirely within their rights to continue making a trash series, but maybe, for their sake and ours, they shouldn't.

This is just your opinion.  I'm sure some mostly here would agree but just as many more like the series still even the worse games has it's fans. Instead what I see as I did growing up in the 90s is Sega being bad at adapting to change and commuting to a formula. Aka we do not want to make sa3 cause we like to keep evolving and trying new stuff and ignoring the past

It goes without saying that when the argument is that "Anything can belong in the sonic verse as long as it's well implemented" and/or "Sonics premise is what his creators deem in their universe," ShtH is the easy and obvious counterpoint (especially since when someone talks about "guns" in the franchise it's obvious to what they're referring anyway). For the half year or whatever it took after the game was announced to release, no one gave any bit of a shit how good it might be as a game to play. And when it released, no one gave any bit of a shit how good it was then either. The premise was so alienating to the franchise that it was the rallying point, period; and no amount of quality or developer word of god was going to change that.

• Thumbs Up 5