Awoo.

Sonic SXSW 2018 Panel ~ It's happening again ~

NikoS

Here's what i expect.
1. IDW News
2. Forces DLC 
3. Some more BTS on Mania's development
4. Movie News
and the last one is unlikely 5. Tease into the next sonic.

I don't expect Mania 2 for the next two years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/23/2018 at 11:27 PM, Operationgamer17 said:

Uhhh, you probably should have read the thing. 

Join the official team from SEGA who are building Sonic’s future as they give you an update on last year’s strong performance of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces”. 

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/events/PP99104

"update on last year's strong performance of Sonic Mania"

Pretty sure Sonic Forces was just a typo :V

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

13 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

"update on last year's strong performance of Sonic Mania"

Pretty Sonic Forces was just a typo :V

Ancillary merchandise, rabid adventure fans, and doing a little better than Yooka-Laylee?

I think what they going to show there is that they probably might announce some movie news. I could see them revealing a logo and a release date for the movie. Maybe they could announce who will be in the cast for the movie. I'm not sure what other potential things they could announce there besides the movie. I wouldn't be surprise if they reveal a spin off game or a remake there.

• Nice Smile 1

I don't know why I do this

Everytime the phrase "the next Sonic" rears its head, I get a strange feeling of hype. Even after Forces left me so antipathetic, I'm still here like "what if this is the game where sonic team finally get it right??!!".

Gotta keep my expectations in check this time. It's probably just movie news or Mania DLC, not a new Sonic Team game. Even if it does end up being a new Sonic Team, they'll have to do a lot to impress me.

Basically, I've set my bar of expectations so low that this is gonna have to be Sonic Team if they wanna win me over:

1346779156_extremely_low_limbo.gif

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

Please be Sonic Mania 2 please please plssss

Eh, it’s probably just going to be IDW comic news and finally a plot synopsis and teaser poster for the Sonic movie. Highly doubt we’ll see or hear anything on the next 3D Sonic game.

I can't see a movie teaser dropping. 

For reference - Detective Pikachu is out May 10, 2019. It's got directors, writers, actors, all confirmed. We've also seen absolutely nothing from it - no posters, teasers, trailers, nothing.

The Sonic Movie is out in "2019" and just changed studio hands. In addition, all we really know right now is it's got the Deadpool bloke on it. I have no idea what's going on with the writing side (IIRC Van Robichaux said his script probably wasn't being used anymore). 

If Detective Pikachu still has nothing shown off, despite having a concrete release date and far more in the way of details, I can't see a teaser for the Sonic Movie dropping in March. Unless, I suppose, they drop all this information there - but I think that'd be kind of unrealistic so soon after it's changed hands, too. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I expect:

* Project Plus

* Project Death Egg Sigma

* Info on Boom’s fate

* Info on IDW

* Movie teaser

• Nice Smile 1

Things I hope for

1. Mania 2 (Let me have hope)

2. 3D game close to the Adventure games

3. Trailer to the movie

4. News about the IDW comic

Not expecting a new game, and honestly I wouldn't want any new game to be announced.

I too want another followup to Mania. But I think (officially) announcing a sequel now would be too early since we just got Mania last year. I'd also rather the dev team in charge (whether it's the return of Mania's TaxStealth and Friends, another new team, or a combination of the two) get more development time to work on a sequel (and/or other projects) compared to the limited production time Mania got. I'd be pretty satisfied in Sega said a Mania sequel and/or more classic Sonic projects are in the cards, however. The panel talking about Mania's success also makes me wonder if we might finally get some hard numbers for Mania's sales.

Could not care less about any Sonic Team project at this point, though I don't think they have another project hidden up their sleeves either. Nothing really points to another Sonic project on the table from the team and I think anyone expecting otherwise is (once again) expecting way too much from this studio. This especially applies to people misquoting that article about the game's development time and putting so much emphasis on the game's one year of full production.

Not really invested in the comics, but I guess learning details about them wouldn't hurt to see.

Hopefully we get no news about the movie. Zero faith in it turning out good in the direction it's currently pointed towards, and I hope it stays in development hell where it belongs. Not above having a laugh at it if they do have something (bad) to show though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did anyone notice that one of the badges needed to attend the panel, is a film badge? Very interesting, I do hope we get a lot of information on the film, because it's been almost 4 years and we really haven't got anything outside of film type, director, executive producer and writers and release year since the announcement.

I'm not expecting anything regarding a new game as of yet, and I'd be fairly concerned if this was the case. Unless it's something more towards the side like a HD Sonic Adventure or Sonic Riders 4 or something.

I'm expecting a new game announvement, but please no Mania 2.

It wad a fun little game, but stop it. We don't need nostalgia every year. It was special last year because the game was made for an anniversary.

Honestly, with Boom ending, I wouldn't mind a new 2D show, anime or whatever. Also, a movie teaser and IDW announcements are most probably going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, it's not IDW news because we are already getting those now, they will probably tell us more of the same, that we already know, Boom season 3... it's too early to say, let's wait until the end of the year, it's also too early for Mania 2, so for me, we're getting:

- Sonic Mania Project Plus

- Sonic Forces DLC (possibly)

- New Spin-Off

- Some movie info

I'm aware of Detective Pikachu but, the Sonic movie has been in the cards for a long time, there has to be some casting announcement, actors, and crew involved, perhaps a teaser. IDW news will be more of the same.

37 minutes ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

I'm expecting a new game announvement, but please no Mania 2.

It wad a fun little game, but stop it. We don't need nostalgia every year. It was special last year because the game was made for an anniversary.

Honestly, with Boom ending, I wouldn't mind a new 2D show, anime or whatever. Also, a movie teaser and IDW announcements are most probably going to happen.

The thing with a 2D game like Mania, you don't need the nostalgia to make it work. Unlike the original game, a possible follow-up could use completely original levels that we've never seen before in Classic Sonic. 16-bit apocalyptic city anyone? Mania's core gameplay isn't nostalgic either. It is a 2D sidescroller based on a gameplay style that is preferred by many Sonic fans including myself. Sonic has had plenty of standalone 2D sidescrollers get released in the last 20 years outside of anniversary titles, starting with Pocket Adventure and ending with Sonic 4 Episode 2. Many of these have elements taken from the original classic games.. Considering Mania sold very well, another game could be on the cards, because according to the general consensus on this board, more sales = more $$$ = more games like Game XYZ.

Also, when was it confirmed that Boom is not getting Season 3? An inaccurate assumption. Boom is not dead, for the moment. Last I heard, it was getting good ratings on Cartoon Network anyway, so I'd wonder why they would drop it at its prime.

2 hours ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

Apparently, a 4chan post made a comment about a Sonic Heroes remake being announced before E3 this year.

Of course it's 99% fake but here it is just in case:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/404267604/sonic-heroes-is-getting-a-remake

Now that I think about it forces did have similarities to heroes such as the tag team levels, emphasizing team work both games talking about how Eggman will take over the world in 3 days.  Could be a coincidence but u never know.

Expect a mix of information about the comics, the movie and possible Mania DLC or a sequel.

They won't appear with a 3D title so soon because the damage Forces caused to the brand is still causing some bleeding.

It would be nice if they finally revealed just how well or badly Forces sold, that's what I'm the most curious about at the moment. Especially after seeing that description talk about the 'strong performance of Mania and Forces'.

What if they reveal Sonic Heroes HD or Sonic Heroes 2? Didn't Robotnik tell the Chaotix that he'll pay them after he takes over the world? I hope it's a new game or spinoff.

6 hours ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

Apparently, a 4chan post made a comment about a Sonic Heroes remake being announced before E3 this year.

yes

sonic heroes

that's the big game that we all wanted a remake of. not adventure or anything (you know, the one that's guaranteed to make a boat load of money).

yeah it makes perfect sense for SEGA to remake heroes. 

6 hours ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

"Sonic having a character creator? Never will happen." - Everybody 2016 

Stranger things have happened. Not saying its true, but I personally wouldn't mind it.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Terriful said:

"Sonic having a character creator? Never will happen." - Everybody 2016 

Stranger things have happened. Not saying its true, but I personally wouldn't mind it.

NeglectedSpiffyEuropeanpolecat-size_restricted.gif

He's not wrong...