Awoo.

Classic Game Postmortem: "Sonic The Hedgehog"

TheOcelot

In March this year, Naoto Oshima and Hirokazu Yasuhara will be making an appreance at the 2018 Game Developer's Conference

In this unique talk, the original designer, Hirokazu Yasuhara, and character designer, Naoto Oshima, for Sega's 1991 action platform classic 'Sonic the Hedgehog' will discuss their perspective on the creation of the seminal game franchise, including detailed recollections of the game's original design process and art direction.

Hirokazu and Naoto will explain the process by which they created the original Sonic, and will share with the audience their experience creating a character to be a company IP, IP strategies for going up against powerful rival companies, and for Sonic fans, frank anecdotes from the development days.

The target audience for this session includes people who want to learn about creating a character-based game or want to create a character IP for their own company, those who are interested in the planning and design that goes into a character-based game, and fans of Sonic or Sega.

Sounds interesting!

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh, now this'll be interesting. For seeing what the development of Sonic was like, and personally, for seeing what goes into a character based game, as that has always mystified me. I take my game design studies seriously.