Awoo.

Foods and Drinks Thread

RedFox99

Yeah we are :D

Yeah, frying pans sure affect the taste of food, a long time ago i tried to fry pasta (farfalle to be precise, don't ask me why i can't remember), it tasted nothing like pasta, it was still good, but no one would say it was pasta if i hadn't told them... (and i never did that again... too greasy...)

• Nice Smile 1

On 2/20/2018 at 1:08 PM, Foxboy Mick said:

When it comes to cheese, I only like it when it's on pizza.

You are the only person I've met other than my old pastor who doesn't like cheese! I personally love cheese, it's definitely one of my favorite foods.

I've always liked a wide variety of foods ever since I was young. When I was a kid I was known as the "adventurous eater" as opposed to my "picky eater" sisters :P I also have a high metabolism, but interestingly though, I feel like my body has a hard time dealing with much fatty food, so when I'm at a restaurant or just when I'm having anything even mildly fatty for my meal, I sometimes can't eat much of it. It's actually a bit frustrating because it leaves me feeling semi-hungry most of the time, because the foods that I can eat in larger quantities don't satisfy my appetite, but the ones that are potentially more filling I just can't eat much of, for whatever reason. Oh well, enough of that.

I'm not really much of a cook unfortunately, it's not a skill I've acquired much of so far and I don't really try to do it much. I mostly just know how to do basic things. Wish I could be a bit more advanced.

I like a lot of different cuisines. My favorite is probably Italian, fitting considering I'm 1/4 Italian. To me, you can't go wrong with the combination of tomatoes, cheese, and Italian spices! Some of my other favorites are Mexican and Indian.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, MKG said:

So, anyone like coffee?

I think my mom is obsessed with coffee to no end.

I like tiramisu and very light French vanilla.

I like pretty much just the mild cheeses, and only moldy cheese I can eat is Brie. I dunno, blue mold cheeses have a bit too interesting smell for me and Brie's a white mold cheese, it doesn't even smell as powerfully as blue molds.

Has anyone else in here loved broccoli since their childhood by the way? ^_^

And no, I'm not coffee type, tea I can manage but that takes a lot of sugar if it's bitter.

Heck, I even dislike carbonic acids so much I can't drink stuff with them inside.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Has anyone else in here loved broccoli since their childhood by the way? ^_^

Yup. Raw broccoli isn't any good, but other than that I've always loved it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/23/2018 at 12:29 AM, MKG said:

So, anyone like coffee?

This could be my motto:

0dba75e82cb8ebe5ce4958b6ae782c82.jpg

About cheeses, i like ALL OF THEM, except molded cheeses, i'm not a fan of those (except brie, which i didn't knew it was a molded cheese for a while :lol:).

And i'm sorry @BlueSky , even nowadays i still dislike broccoli, and probably never will...

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, NikoS said:

This could be my motto:

0dba75e82cb8ebe5ce4958b6ae782c82.jpg

About cheeses, i like ALL OF THEM, except molded cheeses, i'm not a fan of those (except brie, which i didn't knew it was a molded cheese for a while :lol:).

And i'm sorry @BlueSky , even nowadays i still dislike broccoli, and probably never will...

Man, I was on the verge of referring your morning customs in here but I wouldn't dare to. :D

Well, I didn't know of Brie being a mouldy cheese for some time either, one of the reasons being prolly the fact it's white and it's pretty raw in the shops I've bought it from. But then again, knowing about that hasn't changed anything greatly for me.

Should we have a club for "Brie's the only mold cheese" or something now?

Nah, disliking broccoli's fine I guess, I've once eaten raw tomatoes on behalf of person who dislikes them greatly. It's all right as long as you don't take it in your platter and then throw it away which I'm quite certain you aren't performing.

The fact it's such a huge stereotype every kid hates it just made me consider asking about it, that's all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never had a cup of tea until my girlfriend sort of made me have one, like a year or so ago. Never looked back. That shit sorts you out. How does everyone like theirs? Me, get the water fairly strong by pressing the tea bag up against the wall of the mug, then a fair bit of milk till it's light brown (but not white), no sugar. Tend to have a rich tea or chocolate digestive with it as normal digestives always fucking crumble

13 minutes ago, Biggs98 said:

Never had a cup of tea until my girlfriend sort of made me have one, like a year or so ago. Never looked back. That shit sorts you out. How does everyone like theirs? Me, get the water fairly strong by pressing the tea bag up against the wall of the mug, then a fair bit of milk till it's light brown (but not white), no sugar. Tend to have a rich tea or chocolate digestive with it as normal digestives always fucking crumble

I either heat water and steep the tea, pour hot water onto the teabag, or heat water with the tea bag inside.

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I either heat water and steep the tea, pour hot water onto the teabag, or heat water with the tea bag inside.

Never thought of heating water with the tea bag inside. Sounds positively exquisite.

Just now, Biggs98 said:

Never thought of heating water with the tea bag inside. Sounds positively exquisite.

Yeah, plus it can save time.

• 2 weeks later...

My oven broke after a power outage recently.  I rely on it to make things.  I only have a microwave that works.  I hope to get a part for the oven.  That won't be in 2-3 weeks.  Does anyone have any ideas what can be made?  Please?  It would be highly appreciated.  Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Foxboy Mick said:

My oven broke after a power outage recently.  I rely on it to make things.  I only have a microwave that works.  I hope to get a part for the oven.  That won't be in 2-3 weeks.  Does anyone have any ideas what can be made?  Please?  It would be highly appreciated.  Thank you!

Look up recipes for mug cake.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Foxboy Mick said:

That means you gonna have to rely on microwave meals. Perhaps noodles, pancakes, popcorn, those frozen dinner meals single serve (Though personally I prefer those oven cooked.), hmmm, wow you are in tough situation. Perhaps searching microwave meals online might bring up a much better expansive list. I hope it arrives fast and you not have to get a new oven. Stay strong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose there are micro's that can function as ovens in a way, but I dunno if your micro has any programs.

But well, lately I've seen commercials about "crispy bacon made in microwave oven" bacon so I suppose there're options.

Just remember to be cautious what you put in there; micros work since they make water molecules in the food vibrate so quickly the food heats up. That's also why I usually use them in low power for a bit longer, since it isn't about oven producing heat that transfers to the food but more about oven making food create it's own heat based on how moist it is.

Of course, if you have a watercooker(?)/electric kettle you can use that for noodles I suppose (as in you boil the water and dump the noodles in the water after it's out of the kettle, no noodles inside the kettle). In here there's some soups that are in powder form and you just dump them on hot water and stir them well, but I dunno if there're any of good taste in there where you are, it's kind of lottery to find soups like that that actually taste like something else than just unhealthy.

Of course, one can have salads from time to time, they don't need to be heated.

---

I should really go and get some of those Christmas pics in here, like those gingerbreads...

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

I went keto due to some blood work turning up fairly bad. This lead to more suspicion that I have a condition (which has been confirmed). It's not diabetes, but the condition puts me at risk.

I've lost around 10 pounds so far after about a month. I can eat meat, cheese, most vegetables, certain fruits, and nuts. I'm avoiding carbs, so I can't have breads, most fruits, and really sugary things. I'm enjoying the foods I can eat on it and am trying new vegetables, or at least, trying to incorporate them into my diet some more.

That said, I'm planning on staying on this diet until around October, after getting a second round of blood work and seeing if I've improved. Hopefully I will, what with taking the steps to manage it medically and the diet. I don't think I could stand the holidays if I couldn't eat most of Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, never mind the treats we usually bake at the at time.

I think the thing I'm taking from this is measuring serving sizes, more vegetables and having less sugary snacks in between meals. If I can control that and count my calories, maybe I won't need to go on a full on diet.