Awoo.

Who are the best villains in the franchise?

ShadowSJG

To be honest, I love Ifrit for being a random monster that somehow eats Chao and brainwashes people like it's no business. Like, he's not messing around here.

Infinite's actually got a charm to him with his way overdramatic personality. Helps that he's all about ego, there's nothing in there that's supposed to be sympathetic. 

Otherwise...eh.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

To be honest, I love Ifrit for being a random monster that somehow eats Chao and brainwashes people like it's no business. Like, he's not messing around here.

Yeah, what the heck was up with that thing? And Dr. Nega learned about it from Prof. Gerald?!

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Infinite's actually got a charm to him with his way overdramatic personality. Helps that he's all about ego, there's nothing in there that's supposed to be sympathetic. 

Don't forget sadism. Heck, he's far more sadistic than Zavok!

So far only Merlina. She has reasons for her actions (which were not really good explained but for Sonic standards good enough to understand her motives) and also she is so far the only sympathetic villains in the franchise. She is not down right evil, just handled things the wrong way. 

1. Dr. Eggman

For  being eccentric, selfish, egocentric, a mastermind who always tries to come out on top. And also I don't mind his goofy side.

2. Shadow

For being a perfect opposite of Sonic, for his detailed backstory, I don't mind the sympathetic aspect if it's not overdone. There is a conflict and confusion inside of him.

3. Metal Sonic

For being a silente killer and badass, for trying to surpass Sonic to the point of obsession, he wants to become the real Sonic. He also has cool powers and a great design, which doesn't hurt.

4. Infinite

Has a gorgeous design and theme song, as it's been said he has some sort of charm in his sinister lines, and obviously he is a tyrant who wants to leave a mark in enemies, he sees their fear, but also his own, that's where comes his addiction to power, he wants to be stronger. He is no sympathetic villain, he is just pure evil. I also liked the theme of illusions.

5. Chaos

Despite not having much of a personality, he has a great backstory and he's a force of nature not to be messed with. 

6. Zavok

Another kind of mastermind, manipolative and a strategist, but also cruel and sadistic, at least he has a personality unlike the monsters of the week, although has a weak design and no backstory.

These are the villains I liked, the generic monsters didn't leave me much aside from Chaos. Black Doom and the Storybook villains don't fit Sonic IMO, they look like they came from other videogames.

Among the other media villains, I liked: Scourge, Eclipse, Dark Oak, the Egg Bosses, Enerjak, Finitevus, and Lien-Da.

Merlina. She was caught in an oddly relate-able bind and clashed with Sonic on an ideological level. Futhermore, the plot twist of her stabbing Sonic in the back was very well done. especially considering that the girl she shares a face with in the previous game pretty much did the exact same thing. And we still didn't see it coming. Turned the damsel in distress angle right on its head.

Outside of her. I think a good few of the Egg Bosses were shaping up to be utterly fantastic villains. I have always considered Archie Eggman as the best character across any medium of the franchise, and the dynamics characters like Cassia/Clove, Thunderbolt, Nephythes and Axel were bringing to the table would have been a joy to watch unfold.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's Eggman, Eggman is the best villain. He's just about the only one that feels like an actual person (granted, a pretty ridiculous person) and not just a droning mass of generic evil. He is able to be evil while also being fun enough that you almost kinda root for him and I think that sort of playfulness works well for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's Eggman, Eggman is the best villain. He's just about the only one that feels like an actual person (granted, a pretty ridiculous person) and not just a droning mass of generic evil. He is able to be evil while also being fun enough that you almost kinda root for him and I think that sort of playfulness works well for Sonic.

And ya know, it helps that he's the only villain that lasts more than one game :V

9 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

1. Dr. Eggman

For  being eccentric, selfish, egocentric, a mastermind who always tries to come out on top. And also I don't mind his goofy side.

2. Shadow

For being a perfect opposite of Sonic, for his detailed backstory, I don't mind the sympathetic aspect if it's not overdone. There is a conflict and confusion inside of him.

3. Metal Sonic

For being a silente killer and badass, for trying to surpass Sonic to the point of obsession, he wants to become the real Sonic. He also has cool powers and a great design, which doesn't hurt.

4. Infinite

Has a gorgeous design and theme song, as it's been said he has some sort of charm in his sinister lines, and obviously he is a tyrant who wants to leave a mark in enemies, he sees their fear, but also his own, that's where comes his addiction to power, he wants to be stronger. He is no sympathetic villain, he is just pure evil. I also liked the theme of illusions.

5. Chaos

Despite not having much of a personality, he has a great backstory and he's a force of nature not to be messed with. 

6. Zavok

Another kind of mastermind, manipolative and a strategist, but also cruel and sadistic, at least he has a personality unlike the monsters of the week, although has a weak design and no backstory.

These are the villains I liked, the generic monsters didn't leave me much aside from Chaos. Black Doom and the Storybook villains don't fit Sonic IMO, they look like they came from other videogames.

Among the other media villains, I liked: Scourge, Eclipse, Dark Oak, the Egg Bosses, Enerjak, Finitevus, and Lien-Da.

nice list.

1 hour ago, sonicboombastic said:

nice list.

Thanks. I forgot to add the Hooligans (Nack, Bean and Bark) since they seem to be back in the fold, they are pretty good as characters and villains, I don't know if I should include the Hard Boiled Heavies, since I don't know if they'll appear again, considering they are regular Egg Robos without the Phantom Ruby, that will probably not show up again. But I liked them overall, nice designs, that express their personalities, and cool powers.

I'll throw in Mammoth Mogul, he's basically Vandal Savage, (Archie loved coping ideas from DC), long-term scheming, exposition heavy. He was the only villain in Archie Sonic to really get near Robotnik's level of threat, showing up on the scene stealing a super form for himself and going toe to toe with team Sonic in their super forms. Later down the line establishing himself as the head of the Destructix, AND Nagus, putting him in charge of nearly every villain other then Robotnik in the pre-reboot era of the comic.

and design wise, a big woolly mammoth in a power suit fits in pretty well with the Sonic cast. There could always stand to be more characters with the heavy body shape going around. (Bark, Big, Vector)

• Thumbs Up 1

My personal favorite is Metal Sonic (big surprise). I love his design and bad ass attitude and I way I chose to interpret his character, he's a machine that learnt to go beyond his program, driven half insane by a need to prove himself 'true Sonic' despite obvious logic claiming otherwise. He's consumed by hatred towards the person he wants to be, despite being nothing like him and probably not understanding many basic concepts that defy Sonic...  but that's my view. I do wonder what came first, idea or favoritism? Do I like Metal so I created that psychological profile or did that profile existed, causing me to like Metal? I don't know.

I do know that 'favorite' does not equal 'best'. """Objectively""" speaking Eggman is the best villain, on the simple principle of his mass appeal. He's great fol to Sonic both as a person, recurring villain or just recurring boss. He can goofy, menacing, dumb, competent, filing any role and shape. His personality is easy to understand, but just opened enough leaving room for interpretation. And finally, he has a great theme song.

Other game villains I do really like Chaos. His shapeshifting gave us varied boss battles (even if piss easy), cool looking water effect, a touch of drama and overall fairly unique premise.

Shadow was a fun villain, part of me wonder if he wasn't better in that role. Remember how melodramatic he could be, making huge speeches, waving his hands all around? It sure was a more comfortable role for him (sorta Zuko from Avatar), but sadly couldn't last.

Black Doom kinda sucked. He has a neat design, but hardly fitting this universe. Bland personality, bland plan, some random talk about 'corrupted humanity' as he about to let his kids eat Sonic and game. meh

Mephiles was awesome. Yes, his plan was insane. Yes, his powers weren't defined. But dude oozed with personality. Most characters looked awkward, stiff and expressionless in 06 animations. Mephiles run with it, giving his creepy vibe (music helped). "Oh, how Ironic fate can be", "As tree comes from the seed", he had very fun, memorable way of speaking. And his evil laugh was one of best I ever heard.

I never really liked Deadly Six. Maybe it's because we have so little idea what they are. They all have one characteristic that they run to the ground, a mix of goofy and cruel that is more awkward than charming like Eggman. IDK, I always thought they belong in Mario.

And finally Infinite. Dude has a sweet design, sweet music, sweet voice... but man his dialogue makes him so boooring. His powers have potential but are never used to full capability (maybe except that one lever, with giant snake-things). His backstory could be better, but I take it. Making him a sore looser adds to his character, making his attempts at scaring Avatar more meaningful. Not a perfect villain, but has many qualities.

Nega... he has some style. I think a competent writer could do something great with him. And it's always fun to have Eggman talking with Eggman. But none of that changes the fact he's cannon Recolor, with seriously confused origin.

Lyric was just generic and forgettable.

I do agree with everything people said about Merlina. I just... don't feel her. I'm not sure, maybe I need to check Black Knight one more time. It's been ages. Same with Secret Ring, although I recall not liking Erazor.

Orbot and Cubot work when they funny (Archie, most boom episodes), not when they don't (games, few boom episodes).  They can be annoying, considering how much screentime they get, but I suppose Eggman has to talk to somebody and Metal just isn't a chatty fellow (Also I don't really like  when they make games Eggman look even less competent.)

Hard Boiled Heavies meant to be creative bosses and they did that job perfectly. That's all.

Lastly Tails Doll. I kinda hate that overused meme, but at the same time, I keep coming up with ideas how to use him. Frustrating...

Aaaaand that's all. I'll skip dumb beasts, no-personality robots and some spin-off villains (most which didn't talk anyway). They all range from 'fine, nice design' to 'boring, really forgettable'. I'll talk about comics and cartoons other time.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

And ya know, it helps that he's the only villain that lasts more than one game :V

Besides Metal, Nega, and possibly Zavok, anyway. 

But with the possible exception of that last one, he's the only solidly worthwhile one.

I liked Chaos and Shadow. The Biolizard and Black Doom were really cool, too. My favorites are Mephiles and Infinite, though. They're just so cool!

Technically Mephiles, since his evil plan actually succeeded. He did the unthinkable, and killed Sonic. He nearly destroyed the entire world, more than Eggman from Sonic Forces could even dream of. He was only defeated, due to being erased from the past.

I’m not saying it was perfect, or great, but there’s no denying that 06 had a very devilish villain.

• Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Technically Mephiles, since his evil plan actually succeeded. He did the unthinkable, and killed Sonic. He nearly destroyed the entire world, more than Eggman from Sonic Forces could even dream of. He was only defeated, due to being erased from the past.

I’m not saying it was perfect, or great, but there’s no denying that 06 had a very devilish villain.

When we're talking about getting shit done, Mephiles did what he set out to do (although it was in a totally roundabout way and made very little sense). But that doesn't make him a good or effective character at all. 

• Fist Bump 1

1) Eggman. 

Like, he's an OBVIOUS choice for me personally, being one of my favorite Sonic characters and all. I personally like him for how despite having such immense power he still acts like a first-grader, who desperately wants something. He's like a manchild with actual power, and I LOVE it. Although, to me he was kinda ruined in Colors and onward, due to Sega desperately wanting to make him a joke villain, up to the point where Eggman's more "Demented old man who THINKS he has the power, while in reality he's more pathetic than most of the "Weak" characters".

2) Lyric.

Sure, he had a shitty debut, but to me Lyric IS the thing that could counterbalance incompetent Boom Eggman, a "Neo-Eggman" if you will. Like, on one side of the scale you have the demented clownish Eggman, and on the other side of the scale (No snake pun intended) you have an actually threatening villain. To me, had they EXPANDED Lyric's personality and gave him a second chance, then we could have a Boom villain who actually can be considered EVIL.

3) Chaos.

I dunno, something about a blob of water, which can turn into a tentacle dragon thing just makes me like this villain so much. Actually, now that I think about it, Chaos is not even a villain, really. He was just avenging the death of his Chao friends. Heck, in Sonic Battle he actually kinda doesn't really want to destroy the world, in Sonic Forces he was merely a fake created by Infinite, and Lego Dimensions isn't canon. 

4) Erazor Djinn.

First thing's first, to me he and maybe Merlina and Mefiles are the only villains in the series who actually kinda think their plans through. Like, he actually MADE SURE Sonic collected all the rings in order to fulfill his plan. 

5) Merlina.

I dunno, she actually does have a somewhat interesting motivation, unlike, say, Zavok who wants... To become stronger? Not to mention, Merlina is the only surprise villain in Sonic that WORKED.

6) Probably the Hooligans from the classics/

just for the fact that they have Bean the Bomb-Throwing Duck/Woodpecker, which is just so weird, but also weirdly fitting. Actually, I'd want these guys to return once or twice.

7) Black Doom.

Like, yeah, he's generic, but hey, the concept of a robotic/clone version of the main protagonist or an evil scientist isn't exactly original either. But, honestly, he's just so unintentionally hilarious, that it's kinda hard not to love him. Like, if I could bring him back, I'd make him a joke villain who takes his plans seriously, kinda the Sonic version of Skeletor, if you catch my drift.

I do like Team Hooligans. If only we didn't get a BS reason for their returns. At least the Phantom Ruby cloning sorta was cool, but seriously, Heavy Magician transforming into them??

The only correct answer is the Egg-shaped madman himself!

The dynamic between Sonic and Eggman (at its core) is pretty much perfect:

A rebellious kid against a tyrannical adult!

Its something the series continues to stray further from in favor of more "lolmemes" junk. Though comics-wise I always thought Ixis Naugus was pretty neat. His design was cool and he made a great foil for Archie Eggman.

I feel like Merlina is a little overhyped in the same way that Sonic Colours was heralded as the best 3D Sonic game when it arrived due to it's comparitve lack of flaws from what came before, despite not being all that impressive on it's own.

My main beef with her is that her foreshadowing is so minor and yet so heavy-handed.  It's such a jarringly out of nowhere single scene that quickly gets forgotten about, so when the twist does come you're like "what the fuck" with it only making sense LONG after the fact in which she explains her motivations in, again, a very heavy-handed villian monologue.

Like... for Sonic?  She's decent enough, and yep, way better than the likes of Black Doom and Mephiles.  But whenever I think of her good points, I'm just like "so why don't I have any attachment to her whatsoever?" and I think what I've just about managed to put into words here is why.

Tell you who was a good villian: all three Dark characters in Sonic Adventure 2.  Aside from them doing a very poor job of explaining exactly how Gerald manipulated Shadow's mental state in the time between Maria's death and Gerald's execution, it's a fairly tight narrative for Shadow's arc.  Eggman is of course, Eggman, and there's a reason he's so loved in this game.  He's still kind of doofy in how he presents himself but manages to be a significant threat without going full SatAM/Archie overboard with it, and we get a nice touch of backstory in the epilogue for him.  Finally, Rouge's role keeps you guessing the whole way through as to whether she's good, evil, or just out for her own interests.  As a unit they made for an interesting ride.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2