Awoo.

Who are the best villains in the franchise?

ShadowSJG

Zavok & Metal Sonic are the best villains as they didn't need to find a "god" like power to be dangerous to Sonic's way of life.

Given that he’s my avatar I think it’s safe to say that StC Super Sonic is my favourite Sonic villain; he’s just a complete monster, if you want proof I suggest checking out stories ‘Running Wild’ and ‘Break Out!’ to see how fearsome he could be and that’s only from the first part of his story.

Honestly though I’m partial to most of the ‘anti-sonics’ - Scourge was proof that you can in fact polish a turd and turned into a great dark reflection character, Metal Sonic's been a favourite of mine since 'The Sonic Terminator' ran in the Sonic the Comic, this ruthless robot that's such a match for Sonic and stuff like Sonic CD, The Sonic Terminator, Sonic Universe 50, Sonic Heroes, the Sonic OVA and... I need to make a countdown list of awesome Metal Sonic moments. And The Extra Life was pure evil and probably the best thing Mark Millar has ever done (and Shadow of course, he was only a villain for one game but he was impressive when he was).

Away from spiny things I've always been partial to Fang and Naugus

Fang is easy to justify - in both StC and Archie he was great, I think someone called him 'comic relief done right' and that's Archie's Fang all over, in StC he was just a complete bastard and that was just as great and in the game he always seemed openly villainous, almost like a Looney Tune or something and I enjoyed that (also he's my go-to character in Sonic the Fighters).

Naugus kind of suffered from being in Archie though, in SatAM he was intriguing and creepy and a bit of a stand-out character, but 'Naugus Quest' and his time as Moguls' drooling pet hurt him somewhat I felt, the time he had after regaining his faculties made up for this but didn't erase it from existence, so it's a bit harder for me to defend him. 

Elsewhere: Infinite was awesome, while I liked him as the unstoppable badass I actually found the fact that he wasn’t all he made himself out to be endeared him to me; are counting Enerjak as three villains? If we are then Dimitri managed to make up for Sonic’s Friendly Nemesis Knuckles by being pretty damned magnificent in Dark Vengeance (until he got snuck up on my Mammoth Mogul) and then later as a head in a bubble under Flynn but Dark Enerjak was fantastic and bloody terrifying with it; it took me a LONG time to accept Bark & Bean as villains but once I did I grew to adore them, they’re comic relief but powerful enough to be serious threats when they need/want to be; Merlina’s sympathetic, powerful and a good twist but this thread seems to have exhausted the topic of Merlina; Commander Brutus had a strong start and finish but suffered from that time he fought Johnny Lightfoot over sheep and started speaking in ‘hip’ lingo;  Eggman of course and if you’re interested for me it goes (in descending order) SatAM Robotnik, StC Robotnik, Video Game Eggman, Archie Eggman (the second one), OVA  Eggman, EVERY OTHER EGGMAN ON THE COSMIC INTERSTATE YES EVEN THE ONE THAT FOUGHT SALLY MOON, AoStH Robotnik. Kragok and Lien-Da were just horrible people and that’s why they were great aaaaaannd I have a soft spot for Coconuts, if Fang is a comic relief done right then Coconuts is an ineffectual villain done right (IMO). Also if I can have it, Vichama from StC-O was great, his look, surprising amount of personality and sheer power as effectively a god of death made him really impressive.

And I just need to get this off my chest: Wave the Swallow, someone on here years ago described her as ‘the Paris Hilton of the Sonic world’ and they’re right, which just makes me feel worse about the fact that… … I kind of fancy her.

Also I like the Bio-Lizard in concept: Gerald's first try lurking in the bowls of the ARK that was actually this big monster and ended up dragging half the station down with it but it was...an apatosaurus, they're like the least threatening dinosaur after the microceratops - it was Littlefoot! I would have gone with something a bit closer to Shuma Gorath.  

This post got away from me a bit...

• Fist Bump 2

35 minutes ago, dwitefry666 said:

And The Extra Life was pure evil and probably the best thing Mark Millar has ever done (and Shadow of course, he was only a villain for one game but he was impressive when he was).

The what again?  

42 minutes ago, dwitefry666 said:

Fang is easy to justify - in both StC and Archie he was great, I think someone called him 'comic relief done right' and that's Archie's Fang all over,  in the game he always seemed openly villainous, almost like a Looney Tune or something and I enjoyed that (also he's my go-to character in Sonic the Fighters).

That's kinda the vibe I got off him as well.

43 minutes ago, dwitefry666 said:

Also I like the Bio-Lizard in concept: Gerald's first try lurking in the bowls of the ARK that was actually this big monster and ended up dragging half the station down with it but it was...an apatosaurus, they're like the least threatening dinosaur after the microceratops - it was Littlefoot! I would have gone with something a bit closer to Shuma Gorath.  

Actually, I think it was supposed to be more of a literal lizard.

8 hours ago, dwitefry666 said:

Naugus kind of suffered from being in Archie though, in SatAM he was intriguing and creepy and a bit of a stand-out character, but 'Naugus Quest' and his time as Moguls' drooling pet hurt him somewhat I felt, the time he had after regaining his faculties made up for this but didn't erase it from existence, so it's a bit harder for me to defend him.

What I dind funny in Satam Naugus is that he wasn't really a villain. Creep maybe, but not a villain. All he wanted is to escape from Void and I find that pretty reletable goal. If I ever remade Naugus I would make him a gray character, selfish freak, but not automatically evil.

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The what again? 

Remember all those 1 life monitors from classic games? Fleetway Sonic decided that inside of them lives Sonic clone made by Ivo Kintobor, that went evil and had to be imprisoned inside computer.

It makes as much sense as it sounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am intrigued what would have happened in Season Three, since Naugus was somehow supposed to be convinced to make his own conquest and spare Robotnik to make him his own toady.

Granted I'm kinda glad that concept doesn't exist in the games, one of Eggman's redeeming qualities is that no matter how often he is usurped, he doesn't grovel, he always has a plan to make himself top dog bad guy again.

Fang was pretty good in Archie (STC made him more a scientist and less humorous...ehh, not sure it fit). After a while pre-reboot he seemed to just get regulated to the heroines' punching bag (Archie REALLY loved it's girl power didn't it?), though post-reboot he went back to an indiscriminate bad guy and having a bit of a Team Rocket-vibe with Bean and Bark which I liked.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2018 at 7:14 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

What I dind funny in Satam Naugus is that he wasn't really a villain. Creep maybe, but not a villain. All he wanted is to escape from Void and I find that pretty reletable goal. If I ever remade Naugus I would make him a gray character, selfish freak, but not automatically evil.

Remember all those 1 life monitors from classic games? Fleetway Sonic decided that inside of them lives Sonic clone made by Ivo Kintobor, that went evil and had to be imprisoned inside computer.

It makes as much sense as it sounds.

It makes lots of sense when you think it was written by Mark Millar, the owner of the 'What if X was a c**t is his only story concept' meme, he even made the Extra life box one! 

I really, and I mean REALLY loved Enerjak. From both the "Enerjak Returns" and the "Silver Saga" story arc. One of the strongest supervillians in Sonic ever with an appealing look, an even darker and more powerful form of himself, and the best thing is... Enerjak is Knuckles! Knuckles as a villain! Also, in my opinion, these two mentioned arcs with Enerjak are two best in Archie comics ever, and since the plot is as good as it's villain... Well, you know what I'm going for.

1 hour ago, mrtwommr said:

I really, and I mean REALLY loved Enerjak. From both the "Enerjak Returns" and the "Silver Saga" story arc. One of the strongest supervillians in Sonic ever with an appealing look, an even darker and more powerful form of himself, and the best thing is... Enerjak is Knuckles! Knuckles as a villain! Also, in my opinion, these two mentioned arcs with Enerjak are two best in Archie comics ever, and since the plot is as good as it's villain... Well, you know what I'm going for.

Yeah, I do find myself admiring the presence and impact of Enerjak on the occasions he crosses my mind.

As ridiculously/awesomely overpowered as he is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I do find myself admiring the presence and impact of Enerjak on the occasions he crosses my mind.

As ridiculously/awesomely overpowered as he is.

And then they made their own Echidna OC who was apparently competent and sound enough to make Enerjak "work". :P

13 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

And then they made their own Echidna OC who was apparently competent and sound enough to make Enerjak "work". :P

Oh, really? :lol: 

Yeah, I occasionally see some hate for superform villains, but I unabashedly love the idea when it comes up. ?

Whether it's Enerjak, AoStH's Supreme High Robotnik, Master Mogel, StC's Super Sonic, Perfect Chaos, or just Super Sonic and Shadow throwing down for no important reason.

Bonus points to Enerjak for the Egyptian mummy motif.

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Bonus points to Enerjak for the Egyptian mummy motif.

Yeah, definitely.

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Master Mogel,

I like the look of him as well, even if the stories he shows up in make little sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 4:44 PM, DCFCSonic20 said:

I would mainly say Inifinite, but mainly for those spicy memes.

He's hot too.

• Chuckle 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, DabigRG said:

I like the look of him as well, even if the stories he shows up in make little sense.

I legitimately enjoyed his first appearance in #56 where he steals Enerjak's power and Tails finally gets in on the superform action. Otherwise... yeah I tend to forget he was the big bad in the Titan Tails affair.

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

I legitimately enjoyed his first appearance in #56 where he steals Enerjak's power and Tails finally gets in on the superform action. Otherwise... yeah I tend to forget he was the big bad in the Titan Tails affair.

Oh no, I like the scope of 56 and how it was set up too. It's just that what the heck was happening in that story wasn't always clear or occasionally pretty.

• Fist Bump 1