Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

So this doesn't really add anything... but it does confirm that Zappies do indeed have a new Sonic license.

https://www.spielwarenmesse.de/fair/exhibitors-2018/exhibitors/language/1/objIdnfmedb/783769/actionnfmedb/detail/controllernfmedb/Exhibitors/

Search for Zappies and then select licenses, you'll see Sonic is listed.

I just wonder, if it is Sonic-only, if there would be any room for extra characters that are off the beaten track.

Take Sonic Riders; that game had a cast of 16, but they only really used eight of their regular cast, then threw in a team of three new important characters, two filler, and then three SEGA guests. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity only added Silver and Blaze and changed who was in the filler and SEGA guest slots. 

Nowadays, they're far more willing to use all of the regular cast instead of leaving some to the side, and there's more of them to boot. Let me see if I can fill a rudimentary slotlist with just basic Sonic characters. 

-Sonic

-Tails

-Knuckles

-Amy

-Shadow

-Rouge

-Cream

-Big (ASR itself showed that it can work)

-Vector

-Espio

-Jet

-Wave

-Silver

-Blaze

-Metal Sonic

-Eggman

-Zavok

-Infinite

Without even trying, and even omitting some characters who could easily make it to a playable cast, I've got 16 already. You add more of those in and you're already pushing the cast list. 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I just wonder, if it is Sonic-only, if there would be any room for extra characters that are off the beaten track.

Take Sonic Riders; that game had a cast of 16, but they only really used eight of their regular cast, then threw in a team of three new important characters, two filler, and then three SEGA guests. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity only added Silver and Blaze and changed who was in the filler and SEGA guest slots. 

Nowadays, they're far more willing to use all of the regular cast instead of leaving some to the side, and there's more of them to boot. Let me see if I can fill a rudimentary slotlist with just basic Sonic characters. 

-Sonic

-Tails

-Knuckles

-Amy

-Shadow

-Rouge

-Cream

-Big (ASR itself showed that it can work)

-Vector

-Espio

-Jet

-Wave

-Silver

-Blaze

-Metal Sonic

-Eggman

-Zavok

-Infinite

Without even trying, and even omitting some characters who could easily make it to a playable cast, I've got 16 already. You add more of those in and you're already pushing the cast list. 

I think Rio proved they are willing to use recent important characters like Zavok, Zazz and Sticks, long time supporting cast like Rouge and Espio, and even spin-off characters like Jet and Wave. I'd love to actually play as them, and not in a single event, I played as Sticks in the Boom games so that sort of counts, but even newcomer Infinite, forgotten Cream, Big and Omega, or Tikal and Chaos.

That's the point I'm making (mostly); the cast has much more likelihood of being filled with those regulars, so that means less chance of SEGA guests ala Sonic Riders, or forgotten characters, or even characters like Tikal and Marine to round out a roster that doesn't need rounding. 

13 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That's the point I'm making (mostly); the cast has much more likelihood of being filled with those regulars, so that means less chance of SEGA guests ala Sonic Riders, or forgotten characters, or even characters like Tikal and Marine to round out a roster that doesn't need rounding. 

Why are we assuming the cast won't be larger? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 42 characters.

It would depend on who Sumo wanted to use/who Sega wanted them to use. I'm not entirely convinced we'd see Wave, Zazz, and Nega for example if we used the Mario and Sonic games as a measuring stick. They can easily be replaced with say Big, Charmy, and Classic Sonic though, so there are still plenty to pick from regardless. There's also the possibility they could pull a Mario Kart and put in a species, specifically I'm thinking Chao.

Again, I realize how unlikely it is. It's only a hypothetical question based on Sumo being the supposed developer and therefore having the incentive for unexpected fan service.

59 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

There's also the possibility they could pull a Mario Kart and put in a species, specifically I'm thinking Chao.

The Mario Kart analogy honestly makes me think of Motobug instead, though I suppose Eggrobo would be a better fit.  I just like the idea of a Motobug driving a Motobug-themed kart.

If it is a Sonic only cast (which I hope, hope, hope, will not be the case) than i think this roster is quite possible.

1. Modern Sonic

2. Classic Sonic

3. Infinite (but it depends if Sega really wants to keep him as a new recurring character)

4. Tails

5. Knuckles

6. Amy Rose

7. Dr. Eggman

8. Orbot and Cubot

9. Metal-Sonic

10.Shadow

11. Blaze

12. Silver

13. Vector

14. Espio

15. Charmy Bee

16. Rouge

17. Omega

18. Cream

19 Big the Cat

20. Zavok (here it depends also, if they really want to keep him as a recurring character)

21. Jet

22. wave

23. Strom

24. Sticks

25. Chaos 0

After all... fanservice is the only thing that matters now, right?  

9 minutes ago, Swing said:

If it is a Sonic only cast /which I hope, hope, hope, will not be the case) than i think this roster is quite possible.

1. Modern Sonic

2. Classic Sonic

3. Infinite (but it depends if Sega really wants to keep him as a new recurring character)

4. Tails

5. Knuckles

6. Amy Rose

7. Dr. Eggman

8. Orbot and Cubot

9. Metal-Sonic

10.Shadow

11. Blaze

12. Silver

13. Vector

14. Espio

15. Charmy Bee

16. Rouge

17. Omega

18. Cream

19 Big the Cat

20. Zavok (here it depends also, if they really want to keep him as a recurring character)

21. Jet

22. wave

23. Strom

24. Sticks

25. Chaos 0

After all... fanservice is the only thing that matters now, right?  

And what's so bad about that cast? There is less variety sure, but they are all more relevant than the Sega characters. "Fanservice" is the same reason you all want the Sega characters.

And I already made a post about this: why do you see it as a bad legacy to the All-Stars Racing franchise when it could be a brand new spin-off starring Sonic? Is it because Sumo is probably making it?

3 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

And I already made a post about this: why do you see it as a bad legacy to the All-Stars Racing franchise when it could be a brand new spin-off starring Sonic? Is it because Sumo is probably making it?

The job-listing/presentation stated it's a kart racer, if I recall. That's why I'm not entertaining the idea of say, an R sequel or something, and why I'm miffed they're seemingly dropping something that worked just to do the same thing but with less variety.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

From this article's comments:

Larry

It’s me again. I’ve been debating on mentioning this for awhile now, but since it appears to be let out of the bag, why not. A new SONIC kart racer is in development. Last I heard it was slated for the first quarter of 2018, but it’s looking to most likely be a holiday release. However, if my emphasis on Sonic wasn’t clear enough– no Sega characters will be joining the fun, this time around.

I have no idea who Larry is, perhaps veterans of this site might know him?  

If he is credible, well... I'm out I guess.

4 minutes ago, Pao said:

Assuming it’s not just an impersonator (idk if IP is recorded with these things), Larry was the guy who leaked “Sonic Wars” (Sonic Forces) before the party reveal. IIRC, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because I do not want Sega to destroy the whole Sega Allstars brand and turning it into another bland nostalgia pandering Sonic game. It is something special, something only Sega has. Like many people already said. Turning the SAS series into a Sonic only game would be the same if Nintendo would turn Super Smash Bros. into a Mario only game. It would kill the magic that tis series had. 

Why in the hell do they have to squish in Sonic's shitty friends also in this game? Do you realize that Sonic had 3 racing series over the years that they could take and make a new instalment out of it? Sonic R, Drift and Riders. Sonic already has his fair share of racing titles. Why the hell, why the fuck? Why, why, why!?! Why destroy something so special like the SAS series and change it to another Sonic game? Just so you can play with some stupid friends like Blaze or Silver or Sticks? Only because of that? Guess what? You can do this already! In dozens of other games! 

• Thumbs Up 2

"Larry" originally leaked some stuff about Forces a long time before it came out. Custom characters, the "Sonic Wars" working title, Tails being separated from the group, Sonic being missing etc. It was definitely legit then, but I'm not 100% certain this is the same guy. It would be all too plausible that this is someone impersonating another leaker just for sake of getting attention.

EDIT: espio'd

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Pao said:

Someone in the TSS comments called Larry detailed a load about Forces (avatar character, Tails not being in the resistance etc) when Project 2017 was first teased. However, anyone can post a comment under any name. Unless site staff are able to confirm his email or IP address, it's pretty likely that it's just someone trying to pull a fast one. The info that "Larry" gave out about Forces (then known as "Wars") was very specific, but the info being posted here is anything but. We're all making the educated guess that this potential game is Sonic only, and a holiday release is what SEGA go for with their big Sonic games.

Ignore this 'rumour' until someone can confirm its legitimacy  

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Swing said:

Because I do not want Sega to destroy the whole Sega Allstars brand and turning it to another Sonic game. It is something special, something only Sega has. Like many people already said. Turning the SAS series into a Sonic only game would be the same if Nintendo would turn Super Smash Bros. into Mario only game. It would kill the magic that tis series had. 

Why in the hell do they have to squish in Sonic's shitty friends also in this game? We can play as them in so many other games. Do you realize that Sonic had 3 racing series over the years that they could take and make a new instalment out of it? Sonic R, Drift and Riders. Sonic already has his fair share of racing titles. Why the hell, why the fuck? Why, why, why!?! Why destroy something so special like the SAS games and change it to another Sonic game? Just so you can play with some stupid friends like Blaze or Silver or Sticks? Only because of that? Guess what? You can do this already! In dozens of games! 

Guess what? You can do it too with your precious Sega characters as well, in original games and in a couple of Racing and Tennis games. You want more games with those characters, and so do I. And they aren't more "stupid" than the characters you enjoy. I think you're taking this a bit too far, chill out.

3 minutes ago, Swing said:

Because I do not want Sega to destroy the whole Sega Allstars brand and turning it to another Sonic game. It is something special, something only Sega has. Like many people already said. Turning the SAS series into a Sonic only game would be the same if Nintendo would turn Super Smash Bros. into Mario only game. It would kill the magic that tis series had. 

Why in the hell do they have to squish in Sonic's shitty friends also in this game? We can play as them in so many other games. Do you realize that Sonic had 3 racing series over the years that they could take and make a new instalment out of it? Sonic R, Drift and Riders. Sonic already has his fair share of racing titles. Why the hell, why the fuck? Why, why, why!?! Why destroy something so special like the SAS games and change it to another Sonic game? Just so you can play with some stupid friends like Blaze or Silver or Sticks? Only because of that? Guess what? You can do this already! In dozens of games! 

So if Sumo calls this Sonic Drift 3 everything's cool?

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

"Larry" originally leaked some stuff about Forces a long time before it came out. Custom characters, the "Sonic Wars" working title, Tails being separated from the group, Sonic being missing etc. It was definitely legit then, but I'm not 100% certain this is the same guy. It would be all too plausible that this is someone impersonating another leaker just for sake of getting attention.

So in other words. All hope to see the other Sega stars again is pretty much gone.

1 minute ago, Swing said:

So in other words. All hope to see the other Sega stars again is pretty much gone.

There's absolutely no way tell if this is the same person. It's more than likely just an impersonator.

Ignore the supposed Larry rumour 

If there are no SEGA characters then my interest in this game will pretty much be gone tbh.

• Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

We're all making the educated guess that this potential game is Sonic only, and a holiday release is what SEGA go for with their big Sonic games.

For what it's worth, Larry's comment is dated Feb 5th.  While the Sonic-only hints from ZhugeEX came much later.

2 minutes ago, Pao said:

For what it's worth, Larry's comment is dated Feb 5th.  While the Sonic-only hints from ZhugeEX came much later.

Even before Zhuge’s hints people were already guessing it might be Sonic only, so that doesn’t have much bearing on it tbh

• Thumbs Up 1

No, it would be not okay, for me, if it is Sonic Drift. Thanks to Sumo I found out about Skies of Arcadia, they hooked me up with this interesting game. Sumo is way more interested in those IPs than Sega. I want them to continue with this. You do not have to reduce them to just another generic Sonic developer. 

1 minute ago, Swing said:

No, it would be not okay, for me, if it is Sonic Drift. Thanks to Sumo I found out about Skies of Arcadia, they hooked me up with this interesting game. Sumo is way more interested in those IPs than Sega. I want them to continue with this. You do not have to reduce them to just another generic Sonic developer. 

Maybe they can do both? We can have both SEGA games (even not simply spin-offs) and Sonic spin-offs. It's all up to SEGA, don't blame it on the Sonic cast or their fans. I also don't get why Sonic should be limited to have shitty developers while Sega characters get the competent ones.