Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

It may shock you to learn some people here like more than just Sonic, then. 

Of course it's not a shock. But like, what's the problem? If this is truly a Sonic only kart racer, then it's a Sonic only game. Nobody should be complaining that non-Sonic characters aren't in a Sonic game.

1 minute ago, VelaNova said:

Of course it's not a shock. But like, what's the problem? If this is truly a Sonic only kart racer, then it's a Sonic only game. Nobody should be complaining that non-Sonic characters aren't in a Sonic game.

Because it's coming off the back of a popular series from the same devs that involved both Sonic characters and SEGA characters, hence the disappointment that it's not a successor to that game.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, VelaNova said:

Nobody should be complaining that non-Sonic characters aren't in a Sonic game.

But most of the Sonic cast are naff.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

It has the same developers, but with a six year gap I wouldn't say it was coming off the back of ASRT. 

Perhaps not then - but either way I wouldn't say the logical next step for Sumo and SEGA doing a kart racer was "strip out the much-loved SEGA IP, and replace them with Sonic's middling furry cohort"

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Because it's coming off the back of a popular series from the same devs that involved both Sonic characters and SEGA characters, hence the disappointment that it's not a successor to that game.

That makes sense. I'm assuming a lot of the fans of ASR are also fans of other SEGA franchises besides Sonic.

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

But most of the Sonic cast are naff.

Not true in my opinion.

I'm honestly all for a Sonic-only racing game by Sumo, but it's a shame if this means All-Stars is over. I'm not very familiar with SEGA IPs other than Sonic but I really enjoyed those games and thought it was neat seeing all those different characters. Kinda like how I enjoyed Melee as a kid even though the only Nintendo franchise I really had experience with was Pokemon.

what if they call it sonic drift 

now its a follow up to sonic drift and not ASRT....so it would make sense if the sega chars werent there...

• Nice Smile 1

*reads the last few pages*

Can we stop acting like a Sonic only racing game is the end of the SEGA All Stars name and means we’ll never see our various beloved IP again?

It’s ok to be disappointed and I understand being annoyed about not seeing guys like NiGHTS, Ristar, Billy etc get the love and attention they deserve but you don’t you think it’s a bit shallow to think “SONIC AND HIS SHITTY FRIENDS ARE HAVING THEIR OWN RACING GAME DEVELOPED BY THE SAME TEAM? SEGA ALL STARS IS RUINED FOREVER.”?

Who even knows if this is a follow-up of the series and is seperated entirely to the Sonic spin offs?

The other SEGA characters aren’t going anywhere and I’m not tellling you to be excited about a Sonic racer but it’s not the end of the damn world if it happens.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Can I just take a moment to remind everyone that this isn't the first time a Sonic-only Racer had unlockable racers from other SEGA IPs?

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Can I just take a moment to remind everyone that this isn't the first time a Sonic-only Racer had unlockable racers from other SEGA IPs?

If Larry from before has any value in his words, this one won't have any. 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

“SONIC AND HIS SHITTY FRIENDS ARE HAVING THEIR OWN RACING GAME DEVELOPED BY THE SAME TEAM? SEGA ALL STARS IS RUINED FOREVER.”?

Nobody is saying that.

The argument is that the roster would be much stronger if it was another all stars game because most Sonic characters after the core 4 or 5 are very naff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

...We don't even know if this will have non-Sonic characters in it.

I mean it likely will (though good ol' Larry seems to indicate otherwise), but it's not exactly a given. And yeah I have to fight not to fall asleep at "Sonic's shitty friends" takes too but I sorta understand where people are coming from.

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Nobody is saying that.

The argument is that the roster would be much stronger if it was another all stars game because most Sonic characters after the core 4 or 5 are very naff.

They are on reset era

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Nobody is saying that.

That was applying to the previous pages.

As for the roster, if we’re talking a budgeted full-fledged console game. I highly doubt the size will be any less than the mobile games, a reasonable size of the average ASR roster with a bit more.

It shouldn’t matter if anyone after the core 5 is considered “naff” if people actually like them.

57 minutes ago, Josh said:

what if they call it sonic drift 

now its a follow up to sonic drift and not ASRT....so it would make sense if the sega chars werent there...

It certainly seems possible that it will have some relatedness to Sonic Drift and maybe Sonic R as well!  

A Sonic racing gameplay where at least some of the fast characters can be chosen to be either on foot or in a vehicle would be interesting visually and certainly overall!  Are there any other racing games that have characters running on foot alongside and often outspeeding vehicles?  That would be quite memorable and fun. 

Perhaps it could be that there will be both foot race and kart race courses, which could be fantastic if this developer is as good as they sound to be (that they could develop strong courses for both formats!)  (I haven't had the chance to play any of the earlier games developed between Sega/Sumo but they must have been really good to result in many of the responses i have read!  ^_^:)

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

It shouldn’t matter if anyone after the core 5 is considered “naff” if people actually like them.

All 6 Charmy fans will be thrilled.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Nobody is saying that.

I mean, I don't know half of the SEGA characters outside of Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio and Nights, and even then, there's none of them that particularly interest me. Even the one non-Sonic crew I can think of is the ones that would have little to no chance of getting in (Persona 5). By that logic, the cast of ASRT was pretty naff for me.

And that logic is pretty silly. Sonic cast, like them or not, are memorable. People know them, people still look for a lot of the forgotten cast like Cream, Blaze, and such. SEGA IPs are not incredibly memorable for the main market because the majority of them haven't had a new game in forever. 

Sure, you don't need to like the Sonic cast, sure you can be disappointed at the lack of SEGA IPs. That's all fine, but from a market standpoint, considering the Sonic cast and the series is their most memorable and well known IP, and on top of that, Mario has sustained an entire karting series for over a decade with his series alone, it's pretty obvious why they'd do it from a marketing standpoint. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

We can only hope there's overlap between those 6 Charmy fans and the 6 NiGHTS fans.

Don't forget the five Gum fans.

Eh, at this rate, they're best off doing what Sonic Riders and Mario Kart 8 do.

Main Sonic cast with some SEGA mentionables such as NiGHTS, Yakuza, Billy Hatcher, etc, included.

I mean the Sonic cast get quite a bit more recognition from the public than most other SEGA IP characters do, sadly.

And frankly, most of those other SEGA IPs have one or two at best characters for roster potential, so the Sonic and slight company avenue makes sense anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys are comparing niches here, you know that right?

I honestly don't think the game's sales are going to be harmed significantly by either approach, since the Sonic games sell well on their own without Sega references in marketing. The All Star games were also successful with those characters.

No matter what approach they take, it's objectively fine. The game will probably be fine regardless. The Charmy Bee niche is probably as sizable as the Ulala niche. You're just arguing over preferences at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3