Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

15 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I’ve read a Reddit post somewhere that that isn’t uncommon. 

It's worth to note that Hedgehog engine is not a physics/gameplay engine, but only a lighting/graph one, though.

1 hour ago, Korke said:

It's worth to note that Hedgehog engine is not a physics/gameplay engine, but only a lighting/graph one, though.

Maybe graphics are the only thing programmed by Sonic Team, but including a physics engine like Havok and then setting it up and fine tuning it could be taken as part of "developing" the engine. 

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that they have a gameplay engine that is not developed by Sega. The graphics engine would, but the gameplay sounds weird to me.

9 minutes ago, molul said:

Maybe graphics are the only thing programmed by Sonic Team, but including a physics engine like Havok and then setting it up and fine tuning it could be taken as part of "developing" the engine. 

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that they have a gameplay engine that is not developed by Sega. The graphics engine would, but the gameplay sounds weird to me.

It's actually EXTREMELY common place for game devs to use existing physics or "gameplay" engines like Havok or Unreal because the costs of building one from scratch is ridiculous, and that's ignoring how expensive game development already is by default. Now of course each developer tinkers with this engine so that things move in the way they desire; Sonic's reaction to slopes for instance isn't gonna happen with an out-of-the-box Havok.

In fact the only example I can think of that's similar is the likes of PIXAR who built their rendering engine and mostly their animation software from scratch, the software being a heavily modified version of Maya from what I understand though I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Joy said:

It's actually EXTREMELY common place for game devs to use existing physics or "gameplay" engines like Havok or Unreal because the costs of building one from scratch is ridiculous, and that's ignoring how expensive game development already is by default. Now of course each developer tinkers with this engine so that things move in the way they desire.

In fact the only example I can think of that's similar is the likes of PIXAR who built their rendering engine and mostly their animation software from scratch, the software being a heavily modified version of Maya from what I understand though I could be wrong.

Where do I say it's uncommon using Havok? 

Also, Unreal, like Unity, is a FULL engine, with graphics, physics, UI, online features, several platforms building support, etc. Unreal is huge.

Unity is less powerful and relies on plugins made and sold by the community. I actually like using Unity better, as it's more affordable for noon professional game developers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, molul said:

Where do I say it's uncommon using Havok? 

You don't, I'm using Havok as an example to explain your point about them not having some sort of SEGA-developed engine. Unreal, ya got me there with that example but my general point stands.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

I want. Just 1 damn good 3d sonic game before I die. Please Sega, please. 

Will you settle for a pretty looking one? Because obviously that's where SEGA put their money at.

It seems early for a new game, but I wouldn’t be that surprised. Forces did seem to have a fairly small team, perhaps others were working on something else.

Other than that, showing off the comics is probably the most likely possibility, although I wouldn’t be surprised if we found out about some sort of Sonic steam restructuring with Christian Whitehead being given an actual role. It’s a longshot, but stranger things have happened and it feels like the right moment for a major shake up.

2 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Will you settle for a pretty looking one? Because obviously that's where SEGA put their money at.

Pretty and good. Get me a technical leap while running good. A 60 fps sonic game. Man what a dream. But no I doubt well ever get a acclaimed 3d game and will revert to the safe zone of 2d games.

2 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

It seems early for a new game, but I wouldn’t be that surprised. Forces did seem to have a fairly small team, perhaps others were working on something else.

Other than that, showing off the comics is probably the most likely possibility, although I wouldn’t be surprised if we found out about some sort of Sonic steam restructuring with Christian Whitehead being given an actual role. It’s a longshot, but stranger things have happened and it feels like the right moment for a major shake up.

It doesn't make sense to me they putting Forces with a smaller secondary team, the game was heavily marketed (in some cringe-worthy ways) - supposed to be the big anniversary hit...

If it is a new game, all I wanna know is: are they gonna finally let go of the damn boost formula for good, or are they gonna cling to that for the rest of their lifes?

They're trying to get our hopes again up so they can crush them...again.

But being a Sonic fan for most of my life, I can't help but get excited when I hear there will be Sonic news soon.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Joy said:

You don't, I'm using Havok as an example to explain your point about them not having some sort of SEGA-developed engine. Unreal, ya got me there with that example but my general point stands.

Actually, no offense, my whole post invalids your point. I mean that graphics being the only part of the Hedgeog engine developed by Sega makes no sense at all. It does make sense using Havok, but not developing the gameplay engine, like you said? Show me a so-called "gameplay engine" on top of which another company develops just a graphics engine, and your point will stand.

I know this sounds harsh, but I work as a graphic engine developer (small company, not anything like Unreal or Unity) and also make videogames in my spare time. 

1 hour ago, Korke said:

It doesn't make sense to me they putting Forces with a smaller secondary team, the game was heavily marketed (in some cringe-worthy ways) - supposed to be the big anniversary hit...

Maybe they're aiming for an early 30th anniversary game

44 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

They're trying to get our hopes again up so they can crush them...again.

But being a Sonic fan for most of my life, I can't help but get excited when I hear there will be Sonic news soon.

I can benefit from both actually. If it is a good game, than yeah, I will find something to like about it. I never played Mania bout I love the animated opening and the music. If it is a bad game, than I get a funny Game Grumps playtrough. Good or bad doesn't really matter for me. But still, a good game would be nice. Maybe a small spinoff. For a main title it is way to early. Even if it is Mania 2 it would be just to soon. 

I still cross my finger that it is another All-Stars game. I want to Nights, Billy and Vyse again.

Hmm.... I live here and may go to the panel again, like I did last year. Not sure yet. If I knew for certain the nature of the announcement, I'd definitely go.

Like some others said, it is possible it could be a new game. I want to say thats unlikely but the fact that Forces development team was so small does support the theory that something else was being worked on in the background.

In order of most likely things: (IMO)

1) Movie news

2) Sonic Mania Plus

3) New game (possibly even related to movie)

4) "Staff Restructuring" announcement

5) Other

• Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

>Last game isn't even three months old yet.

Why are ya'll so fucking thirsty already, jeez.

Give the fanbase a starving man nothing but mediocre games stale pieces of bread now and than and he should still be expected to be thirsty for Sanic news hungry.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Well, they don't have to show anything, but they could at least say: "yes, we're working on a sequel to Sonic Mania".

That would take a huge weight off my back, I'm still concerned about the longevity of these retro games... I don't want it to be a one time only thing...

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

And Project Death Egg Sigma.

and, about GHZ...

”So silly of us, Adventure fa-ns, we’ll give the same treatment to some of your beloved levels! Crazy Gadget is back! Anyone remember Cosmic Wall? Sky Babylon? Knight’s Passage?”

if they bring crazy gadget back, i will hit them with a crazy gadget called my bat

with the controls sonic team have been sticking to, crazy gadget will be HELL

• Chuckle 1

48 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

if they bring crazy gadget back, i will hit them with a crazy gadget called my bat

with the controls sonic team have been sticking to, crazy gadget will be HELL

I'm pretty sure that if ST brought back Crazy Gadget they would just NOT have the gravity-switching gimmick at all. 

They're be too lazy to program it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really expect that much from this. Maybe we probably going to get a spinoff or a remake, and possibly news for the movie like a logo and a release date.