Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

11 hours ago, Jango said:

Man, I hope it's not just Sonic... The awesome thing about the All-Stars is revisiting all those good old SEGA characters and levels... Can we finally get Streets of Rage, tho'?

Same with me over here. I really hope they do not kick out all of the other Sega characters. I want to see more of Ristar, Streets of Rage and Toejam & Earl. 

5 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Sega needs to learn from nintendo on making vast world games that always surprise you. As far as the transfomred games ive been trying to think of what they could do new. Unless they go the split/second route and make the stages change depending on what characters do on the stage, break building to make new routes or team based races.

The big differents between Sega and Nintendo is that Nintendo has way more IPs they can use. That is the reason why they are way more diversified. Let's be honest here Sonic is the only Sega IP that sells.  

• Thumbs Up 5

Much as I love the SEGA side of ASR, SEGA IPs have virtually no pull these days. There's not been a Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel, NiGHTS, Golden Axe etc release in years. There have been a couple of short-lived mobile games, but otherwise they're dead franchises that were already niche back when they were new. Putting SEGA's name on the box almost feels redundant. 

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Much as I love the SEGA side of ASR, SEGA IPs have virtually no pull these days. There's not been a Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel, NiGHTS, Golden Axe etc release in years. There have been a couple of short-lived mobile games, but otherwise they're dead franchises that were already niche back when they were new. Putting SEGA's name on the box almost feels redundant. 

Considering how well the likes of the AtGames Mega Drives sell, I feel they've still got pull - and for a game like ASR, that nostalgia is one hell of a drug. It's true they've not seen new entries in years, but with ports and the like SEGA does at least acknowledge some of them and keep them in some kind of consciousness. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Sure. But to be honest here, an only Sonic game would be so boring for me. If this will be the case than they just could have sticked with the Riders or Sonic R series. The All-Stars are the thing that made this series so special. It is really so shocking for me, how much Sega let their IPs die out while other companies like Sony, Nintendo and even Rare (back when they were met something) tried to balance their series. With Sega on the other hand, it really is only Sonic that is well-known. Non of my friends and family members have ever heard of Nights, Space Channel 5, Skies or Arcadia or Streets of Rage but they have heard and played Jet Force Gemini, Battletoads, Kameo, Conker, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Viva Pinata and even freaking Grabbed by the Ghoulies! 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd rather have another Riders than another ASR. I'm not exactly relishing the idea of being handed more Seaside Hill, Death Egg, Sky Sanctuary and (NEW!!!) Forces-inspired Chemical Plant. 

Given the clues we've got so far, it could be a Sonic only game, but I don't think Sumo Digital would really be interested in making a fully Sonic game, but it's SEGA's decision, so...

And I don't get it why we can't have a Sonic spin-off without a crossover, between the All-Stars series and the Olympics, it's all crossovers, there hasn't been a racing spin-off that focuses on the Sonic cast since Free Riders, which I didn't play because it was an Xbox 360 exclusive, so the last one I played was Zero Gravity in 2008... Mario gets Tennis, Party and Kart games dedicated to him (and in Smash 4 he still got 9 characters in the roster, plus the Koopalings skins), and Sonic can't get one that's not a crossover? There's also the fact, as you pointed out, that most of the other SEGA franchises aren't big names anymore, only a couple of them had recent games, and not the kid friendly ones, so kids and the general audience would prefer a Sonic only spin-off.

11 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Given the clues we've got so far, it could be a Sonic only game, but I don't think Sumo Digital would really be interested in making a fully Sonic game, but it's SEGA's decision, so...

And I don't get it why we can't have a Sonic spin-off without a crossover, between the All-Stars series and the Olympics, it's all crossovers, there hasn't been a racing spin-off that focuses on the Sonic cast since Free Riders, which I didn't play because it was an Xbox 360 exclusive, so the last one I played was Zero Gravity in 2008... Mario gets Tennis, Party and Kart games dedicated to him (and in Smash 4 he still got 9 characters in the roster, plus the Koopalings skins), and Sonic can't get one that's not a crossover? There's also the fact, as you pointed out, that most of the other SEGA franchises aren't big names anymore, only a couple of them had recent games, and not the kid friendly ones, so kids and the general audience would prefer a Sonic only spin-off.

Give Sonic more spin-offs by all means, but a Sonic-only kart racer when there's already a good one that happens to be a crossover feels pointless. If it were say, a Sonic Riders successor I wouldn't mind. 

It's true that SEGA franchises aren't big names - but that's why games like ASRT are important, because it throws a bone to fans of those franchises. The solution isn't to let them fall into even more obscurity. Also given the utter critical acclaim ASRT's received (currently sat at 10/10 thanks to users on Steam, for instance) I don't think the general audience are as opposed to SEGA IP as you think. If anything I think they'd be more opposed to making it Sonic only, given his middling reputation. Kids are still getting their Sonic dosage either way, and it should be obvious that the likes of ASRT were made by die-hard SEGA fans for die-hard SEGA fans so I'm not too fussed about that angle. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic Drift racing 3! About time.

Actually I'm secretly hoping it's suddenly Sonic and Sega all stars fighting, like a Power Stone type game.
Then again, the hints so far point to a karting game.
Then again, Sega's first crossover fighting game did have the Hornet car as fighter, maybe Sonic's Kart is a fighter.
.....Eh, a man can dream, right?

• Fist Bump 1

29 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Then again, Sega's first crossover fighting game did have the Hornet car as fighter, maybe Sonic's Kart is a fighter.
.....Eh, a man can dream, right?

That would be an interesting idea. Thy can actually could at least try this concept out and se if it's sticks. 

59 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

I'd rather have another Riders than another ASR. I'm not exactly relishing the idea of being handed more Seaside Hill, Death Egg, Sky Sanctuary and (NEW!!!) Forces-inspired Chemical Plant. 

You know, they are also other Ips in this Series that they could use for interesting tracks. It's not only Sonic. You can have a city track  based on Streets of Rage, a whacky funky planet based on Toejam & Early, the music planet from Ristar, the pirate ship from Billy Hatcher or a Puyo Puyo track.  

I'm so surprised that the other Sega series or so much disliked by Sonic fans. If Nintendo Fans for example only would love to play Mario games and we would never had Zelda, DK, Kirby or Splatoon, Nintendo would be a really boring company. Imagine Smash Bros. with an only Mario cast. How boring would that be? Also I personally would prefer to have cast of forgotten Sega Stars rather than a rooster filled with a bunch of Sonic's unnecessary pals like Rouge, Blaze, Cream, Marine, Sticks, Silver, Infinite, Jet, Wave, Storm, Emerl, Shade, Omega etc.

I have a hunch a lot of current Sonic fans consider Sonic more part of the Nintendo family rather then Sega's.
Hence the little love.
Would have helped if Sega utlized their IP's a lot more, but what can you do.
At least seems they revived Daytona, House of the Dead and Virtual On recently. That's something, I guess.
And a Crazy taxi mobile phone game if anyone cares.

13 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I have a hunch a lot of current Sonic fans consider Sonic more part of the Nintendo family rather then Sega's.
Hence the little love.

Wouldn't surprise me. According to VGchartz 6 of the top 10 best selling Sonic games are Mario & Sonic crossover games.  

6 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Sonic Drift racing 3! About time.

I know you meant this as a joke, but I would like to use this to point out that Sonic doing kart racing existing long before the ASR series, or any other Sonic racer for that matter. Revisiting that idea in a new racing title wouldn't be that far-fetched. 

I'd like to see them take another stab at an on-foot racer. I mean it just seems like the obvious thing to do with a racing game based on this series in particular. That said, I wouldn't say no to karts/racecars or hoverboards...

• Thumbs Up 4

I really don't get it. Why on earth do you want more than one Sonic kart racing game if you have a perfectly fine game like the All-Stars series? 

14 minutes ago, Swing said:

I really don't get it. Why on earth do you want more than one Sonic kart racing game if you have a perfectly fine game like the All-Stars series? 

Yeah, I wonder why Sonic fans want to play as their favorite Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

So for those who were doubtful over the toy fair guy because they used older toys as place holders... would like to show you this...

This is how some toy makers showed off their toys at London Toy Fair.

Here is Mcfarlane Stranger Things toy booth.

Toy+Fair+2018+McFarlane+Toys+Stranger+ThToy+Fair+2018+McFarlane+Toys+Stranger+Th

Here is their Star Trek section.

Toy+Fair+2018+McFarlane+Toys+Star+Trek+CToy+Fair+2018+McFarlane+Toys+Star+Trek+DToy+Fair+2018+McFarlane+Toys+Star+Trek+T

Yup... Cardboard cutouts.

This is not uncommon, even Jazwares did it with their Sonic products back when Generations wasn't confirmed.

So the fact they have ASRT toys there should not be reason to discredit them at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SaberX said:

Me too. I'm all for more Sega characters and less Sonic characters.

More SEGA character maybe, but going for less Sonic characters from their headliner franchise...that's business-wise and strategically, not a smart thing for them to do. It's like asking to cut the number of Mario characters that show up in Smash. Ain't gonna happen, and for a good reason. You don't mess with what's lucrative, especially in an allstars crossover.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Yeah, I wonder why Sonic fans want to play as their favorite Sonic characters.

You can do this is in dozens of games.

4 minutes ago, Swing said:

You can do this is dozens of games.

And you can play as your favorite SEGA characters in their original games, Sega Superstars, Tennis, ASR, and Transformed. I'm using your own logic.

We haven't played as Sonic's friends in years, only on mobile games, Shadow in Forces, Tails and Knuckles in Mania.

In the All-Stars series there have only been 7 Sonic characters, in the Mario & Sonic series there have been 10, which is an okay number, the rest were only playable in 1 event in Rio.

I just want a high level Kart game starring the Sonic cast, made by Sumo Digital and that can rival Mario Kart.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Tangle Tango said:

More SEGA character maybe, but going for less Sonic characters from their headliner franchise...that's business-wise and strategically, not a smart thing for them to do. It's like asking to cut the number of Mario characters that show up in Smash. Ain't gonna happen, and for a good reason. You don't mess with what's lucrative, especially in an allstars crossover.

In that case than you can make it an only Sonic game. Business wise it would make no sense to "waste" your time with non Sonic characters. Unlike Nintendo or Capcom Sega missed out their chances to establish any other series besides Sonic.

4 minutes ago, Swing said:

In that case than you can make it an only Sonic game. Business wise it would make no sense to "waste" your time with non Sonic characters. Unlike Nintendo or Capcom Sega missed out their chances to establish any other series besides Sonic.

Not necessarily. That's too much of a "black and white" mentality. They can still have a crossover with other SEGA properties. Just don't act surprised that Sonic and company are the dominant presence. Heck, some of the other franchises don't even have as many characters to give as the Sonic franchise.

While obviously the bigger franchise is front and center, other character could still potentially be used to attract other fans of those series all the same.

I mean, it IS a crossover, so of course the selling point is going to be multiple franchises. Just remember, especially with companies that have mascots, that there's going to be a chain/pyramid of priority of how many characters from each franchise come. Is there need to balance? Heck yes, but hacking at the main event characters is a needless, baseless, and pointless venture for businesses trying to turn a profit in SEGA's case here.

17 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

And you can play as your favorite SEGA characters in their original games, Sega Superstars, Tennis, ASR, and Transformed. I'm using your own logic.

We haven't played as Sonic's friends in years, only on mobile games, Shadow in Forces, Tails and Knuckles in Mania.

In the All-Stars series there have only been 7 Sonic characters, in the Mario & Sonic series there have been 10, which is an okay number, the rest were only playable in 1 event in Rio.

I just want a high level Kart game starring the Sonic cast, made by Sumo Digital and that can rival Mario Kart.

What kind of logic is that? How many times could I for example play as Vyse form Skies of Arcadia? Only two times so far: In his original game and one time in an All-Star game and that's it. And what about Billy Hatcher? Just three times so far? In Riders 2, All-Stars Racing and his original game. A Sonic fan on the other hand could have played with Shadow and Blaze in more than 15 games by now. How unfair is this against the people, who really want to play as their favorite Sega characters again? Trust me. Sonic, together with his bunch of questionable friends, will live on for many more years. But the other Sega series only have this All-Star games left for them. Acting like Sonic is getting treated unfairly is really selfish thinking.