Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

I never said the game wasn't well-received. It had a great reception as we all know that. However, there were a lot of roster complaints up until release, even the Sumo staff that visited the Sega Forums were acknowledging that. It didn't stop the game from being great fun, and I'm not saying there's a correlation with roster and sales (that's more of a fandom issue), but fact is compared to the predecessor Transformed had lower sales. It was revealed as the big Sonic title of the year, had a bigger budget, but shifted 1.3 million copies in about 5 months compared to ASR, which sold 1.07 million in a month. For a title that was on six platforms, this is not very impressive, even if it did reach 1 million on Steam (don't forget it had countless huge discounts, bundles and even a free-to-play weekend). Transformed quickly got huge price cuts all over the world and combined with the good word-of-mouth, sold much more in the long-term, but Sega having no interest to continue the series for several year does say a lot. Maybe they've changed their mind now, who knows really? I still expect some rebranding here.

I trust Sumo, I think they will deliver a great game, if the rumours are true

Btw, am I the only one dreaming for a 2D fighting game with Sega characters developed by arc system works?

can you imagine Sonic ,Bayonetta, Jack Cayman, Ryo, Gilius... characters from Phantasy Star, Yakuza, Persona, Shinobi, Valkyria Chronicles.... ok I’ll stop... D:

Yeesh, what happened here? We went from SXSW to "I want Sonic to go vroom vroom but with these specific characters". Calm yourselves.

• Fist Bump 1

I'd be fine with Sonic Kart even if I'd prefer All-Stars Racing. I love the other characters and they all bring a different aesthethic, themes and music to the game.

I am afraid that a Sonic-only Kart racing game would be full of GHZ, CPZ, SSZ, and anything else they can reuse from Lost World/Generations/Forces.

A bit of news from tonight’s stream: Aaron Webber doubled down and stated again that there was no new “SART” coming.

He also deconfirmed some rumor that was apparently spread on reddit, but he never explicitly said what that rumor was, and I’m not really sure myself.

The only rumor I ever saw on reddit was the Sonic Heroes remake rumor. And I'm still pretty sure (not to mention hopeful) that it's not a thing.

1 hour ago, Kellan said:

He also deconfirmed some rumor that was apparently spread on reddit, but he never explicitly said what that rumor was, and I’m not really sure myself.

Ok, I found out what it was. Some guy on 4chan claimed that he worked at Sega. He said that Forces was a financial disappointment, that the Heroes remake was BS, and that Sega of Japan was responsible for essentially every problem ever, mostly because they’re apparently racists. And that Mania 2 wasn’t happening because Sega of Japan doesn’t like American developers.

Aaron said that the rumor was false. He was super unspecific, but he mentioned that the person didn’t work for Sega, and that Forces wasn’t a financial disappointment. He also deconfirmed it on Twitter, which is how I found it.

If it was a Sonic-only Kart game, he wouldn't need to misdirect us by specifically mentioning "SART"... He would instead say there is no "All-Stars" racing game in development.

Posted 9 days ago by a UK artist (Sumo is in the UK), make of it what you will:

"Sonic Sega All Stars DLC Assignment
Sonic Sega All Stars DLC Assignment, Made in 3DS max, textured in Substance Painter, presented inside UE4"

D6STMA9.jpg

If legit, it means:

1- Bayonetta is planned for DLC

2- Doesn't seem to have a transformation mechanic, which would be a shame if true

Though this could very well be a University assignment like the ones I posted about a few pages back, rather than someone breaking their NDA, but it's weird how it specifies "DLC".

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/22v1a

You have no grounds to call it a misdirection at this point.

Nah, there are plenty of signs pointing for a misdirection.  

Except they'd never handle it this way if it was. Why tell us anything if they were going to make it such an obvious farce? What the hell is the point of a deliberate misdirect if you know you're being misled?

3 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Except they'd never handle it this way if it was. Why tell us anything if they were going to make it such an obvious farce? What the hell is the point of a deliberate misdirect if you know you're being misled?

It wasn't an obvious farce, not sure where you're getting that from. 

Almost everyone bought Aaron's debunking of the rumor, it was only until ZhugeEX's tease that I knew something was up,  and from thereon we've got other tidbits like the Toy Manufacturer saying there's a new Sonic Racing game coming this year... Only by taking those things into account you would view Aaron's tweet differently, and see how a misdirection is likely afoot.

He had another chance in the latest stream to claim that a new Sonic Racing/All-Stars game wasn't in development, but he STILL chose to say "SART" again. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It is weird he keeps saying specifically SART, as in, with the T. As in, a specific Sonic all stars TRANSFORMED sequel is debunked. Which is only the specific title of the sequel, not the series in general.
This being Aaron, I wouldn't be surprised that's his "Well, this new sequel doesn't have the word Transformed in the title" loophole.
As bonus, it's a hint that transformations won't be a part of the game, like the Bayonetta bike seems to imply.

That said, I still won't get too excited yet. I'm not super convinced this is happening, if anything i'm too sore for all the unsatisfying dead end clue treasure hunts from the past few years to get roped into one again. Just saying.

And about that Bayonetta bike, could it have been made for the original Sonic all stars in 2010? I remember hearing stories about them toying around with using Bayonetta until they got concerned it might affect the rating of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Pao said:

Posted 9 days ago by a UK artist (Sumo is in the UK), make of it what you will:

About 99% sure it's a university assignment.

Checked his CV on the same website. Lists his status as a student at Staffordshire University.

Edit. Every one of these was likely done for this competition.

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/news/top-gaming-competitions-descend-on-staffordshire-university-tcm4293696.jsp

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Checked his CV on the same website. Lists his status as a student at Staffordshire University.

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/news/top-gaming-competitions-descend-on-staffordshire-university-tcm4293696.jsp

True. It's likely a university assignment like the ones before.  Just feels weird that it specifies "DLC" ...

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Oh hey, my home town gets to be the centre of the rumour mill for this one. I could theoretically take a bus to Staffs Uni and just ask them in person. 

At the end of the day, kids and Sonic fans want more Sonic characters, and old Sega fans want more Sega characters, so I think they should try to please all type of fans by simply having a larger roster, if there are likely 12 players in a race, I think it's reasonable to ask for 30 something characters. And obviously I don't need to say that Sonic fans will not be satisfied with the usual 6, just like there is no way Sega fans would be satisfied with playing only with the usual AiAi, Amigo, NiGHTS, Ulala, Beat and Alex Kidd, if people wanted to play just as the same characters, there would be no need for a new game, but I'm not saying a new game should only have a different roster, I would like some new mechanics and gimmicks, different from the transforming gimmick because that's been done before, I would like a more traditional racer but with a new twist.

One again. If you guys really love Sonic so much, than buy the new riders game (if a new one will come out). Riders offers all the Sonic pals you want. I really do not see a reason to fill in so many Sonic characters if their is already dozens of games that already offer you your biggest wish for the perfect Sonic game.

Okay then, and if you want to play as the Sega characters, just play their original games or Sega Superstars Tennis, or Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, or Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, or more games of their own series if they will come out^^

I will deadass buy 3 copies of this game if Queen B is in it let's go

5 copies if she does this in an E rated game
SentimentalJampackedChupacabra-size_rest

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh hey, my home town gets to be the centre of the rumour mill for this one. I could theoretically take a bus to Staffs Uni and just ask them in person. 

Or you could ask me since I'm studying computer science at Hull University and have just realised what this competition is.

Basically, every now and again I get an email from my department saying "Opportunities" this will either be a job or a competition. 

In this case, the Search for a Star thing looks mainly at programming but there are a few other categories. Sumos competition which is named something similar literally looks like in this Sumo is just piggy backing off that for it's own competition which is more 3D art focused. 

The fact it says DLC assignment is a complete red herring since in most cases there isn't a well defined 'title' brief for these things, especially if there's multiple options to choose from, and given how one of the ASR finds specifically stated 'ASR Option' I bet there was multiple categories and Sumo just said ASR because it's a great test of creative thinking as well as skill with 3D modelling software.

• Thumbs Up 1