Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

Just now, Mayor D said:

Whats that?

Sonic 06? I've heard it referred to as Next Gen before now.

And he's not wrong...but then that was the last main game for most characters in the Sonic franchise, if not Heroes. 

20 minutes ago, molul said:

When was the last time Amy was a playable character?

Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice ,I think. Thats if you count that lol

...Actually... just look at Speed Battle... add the villains I listed.

= modern cast list. Which is all sorts of depressing.

Just now, Mayor D said:

...Actually... just look at Speed Battle... add the villains I listed.

= modern cast list. Which is all sorts of depressing.

Legitimately curious; what about it makes it depressing to you? The size of the cast? The actual characters?

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Legitimately curious; what about it makes it depressing to you? The size of the cast? The actual characters?

Fact that they're literally there just to please the fanbase of the characters over actually being characters that contribute anymore.

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Fact that they're literally there just to please the fanbase of the characters over actually being characters that contribute anymore.

That's Sega's fault and the games fault, and the solution definitely is not by not having the characters in a spin-off. And if it is Sonic only, we could have a story and the characters might be useful.

Anyway, your post is why I think it won't be Sonic only, but definitely with a greater Sonic focus, otherwise the Bayonetta rumour would be false, I assume we will get 12-15 Sonic characters and 15-18 Sega characters, plus a couple of guests. By the way, the past ASR games had more or less 13-14 Sega characters. It would be perfect this way, for me.

Edited by Jack of Tangles

45 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

That's Sega's fault and the games fault, and the solution definitely is not by not having the characters in a spin-off. And if it is Sonic only, we could have a story and the characters might be useful.

Anyway, your post is why I think it won't be Sonic only, but definitely with a greater Sonic focus, otherwise the Bayonetta rumour would be false, 

I thought it was already established the Bayonetta thing was just someone's University project?

11 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I thought it was already established the Bayonetta thing was just someone's University project?

It was. JoT is mistaken.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think it won't be Sonic only but with a greater focus on Sonic, and more or less the same amount of Sega characters from the other games, this way everyone will be happy. Sonic characters who I think should be included: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Infinite (Forces representation), Sticks (Boom representation), Silver (fan favorite), Vector, Blaze, Rouge, Espio, Jet, 15 max.

Some people obviously won't be happy, because they aren't just asking for the Sega characters, but they wish it won't feature any Sonic characters. Which is impossible, so we know they won't be pleased.

23 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I still think it won't be Sonic only but with a greater focus on Sonic, and more or less the same amount of Sega characters from the other games, this way everyone will be happy. Sonic characters who I think should be included: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Infinite (Forces representation), Sticks (Boom representation), Silver (fan favorite), Vector, Blaze, Rouge, Espio, Jet, 15 max.

I still want Fang.

• Fist Bump 1

Honestly, it’s long overdue for a new Sonic racing game or console spin-off game in general since what, Free Riders ?

A Sonic exclusive racing game would sell a shit load with the younger audience who are familiar with the characters and so fans would actually be able to race as their favorite Sonic characters.

So yeah, unless you’re a diehard SEGA fan or played other franchises before, I don’t see really a reason to be disappointed by this, and this is coming from someone who has played other SEGA games before.

Hell, even if it was a SEGA game, I wouldn’t count on the roster being any decent considering the last one had self insert advertisements like Diana Patrick.

• Fist Bump 1

She's alive? It must have been sonic cds eng vocalist.

Also cause the music is one of the main things people remember from the game as it sure wasn't the gameplay

3 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

ASRT had 33 characters including DLC and mii/avatars, right? I wonder how many they'll have on a current gen system.

Probably the same ballpark figures as before. The main hold back on roster size is the work that is involved in making them, not the system power.

• Thumbs Up 3

Remember that ASRT had the transforming gimmick, so they had to make 3 vehicles for each character, plus the transformation animations. This limited both the character and stage count.

1 hour ago, Dee Dude said:

So yeah, unless you’re a diehard SEGA fan or played other franchises before, I don’t see really a reason to be disappointed by this, and this is coming from someone who has played other SEGA games before.

Handily, most of the people complaining here fit that bill. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

I doubt power would be an issue with super transformative stages this time n

oonon the pro and 1x but I doubt they will push the game much if they want a switch version as well but we could be over thinking it all.

Just now, Mayor D said:

If it really is Sonic only... this will be the cast.

Hide contents

Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Eggman: You really have to ask why?

Shadow: Because money.

Sticks: Because Sega is trying to put her in everything.

Infinite: Because Sega is desperate for us to like him. Which is why he's in the board game, he has merch out already.

Amy/Rouge/Metal Sonic/Omega: These guys are the new supporting cast.

Classic Sonic: Because Modern and Classic are now two separate characters.

Zavok: Sega thinks we like him.

Blaze/Silver: In case there's some spare memory in the character array.

Reveal hidden contents

That's pretty much the modern cast right now.

Shouldn't Amy be in the "You really have to ask why" class being a main character in most games and making it in all the All-Star games with limited Sonic characters. 

The SEGA IPs didn't just provide a stronger variety of characters to the roster, but also spiced up the games with unique tracks and music in different styles.  The variety of IPs are one of the main reasons why the all-stars series is so good, I daresay it's the main draw even. I don't understand why Sonic fans would want to take that away, even if you don't care about other SEGA games, the lack of variety in tracks, themes, motifs,  and characters won't do it any favors.

Imagine a Super Smash Bros. game with only Mario characters and stages.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

A non-SEGA racer I feel would be a waste, since SEGA has had some big hits lately.

There could really be better representation for Total War and Company of Heroes, two big PC SEGA franchises. Yakuza is a surprise hit with western audiences, so that's on the table now. Bayonetta is also a reasonably big SEGA framchise now, with a Smash Bros appearance and a new game coming soon. And SEGA Sammy now owns ATLUS, giving access to far more games to put under the SEGA umbrella.

I'm not saddened by the prospect of a purely Sonic racer, but there's just so much more that SEGA has now.

Though, please do knock it off that SEGA will only push certain characters in the game because they feel like it, they will shove in any and all Sonic characters to try their best to appeal to Sonic fans. Think their roster in the Mario & Sonic Olympic games, but with added characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Pao said:

Imagine a Super Smash Bros. game with only Mario characters and stages.

Imagine a Mario Kart game with Samus, Fox, and Kirby but not Daisy, Waluigi, or Yoshi.

As has been said before, I totally get preferring a Sega crossover title, but I still find it odd so many don't see why people would be interested in a a title with more Sonic content. Especially on a Sonic message board.

We're discussing personal preference here, and I understand that. There's not a right or wrong option here, it depends on your taste. If this is all hot air and we get a game that lets me play as Ristar and a Panzer Dragoon racer across Space Harrier I'll be happy. If I get a game that lets me kart race with Sticks and Infinite on Final Rush I'll be happy. I'm in the fortunate position where both appeal to me and I'm just impatient to learn more about it.

...but please make the changes I listed off earlier in the thread. This can still be a deal breaker.

• Thumbs Up 5

16 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Imagine a Mario Kart game with Samus, Fox, and Kirby but not Daisy, Waluigi, or Yoshi.

Sounds pretty cool to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

21 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Give me Samus over bloody Daisy any day of the week. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 3

6 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Give me Samus over bloody Daisy any day of the week. 

I will fight you. 

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1