Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

2 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

That's for Sonic Dash.

Thanks for bothering to share the source.

Yeah, looks like it's Dash.

Hopefully another sprite based Sonic game developed by Whitehead and Stealth. Not necessarily a direct follow up to Mania plot-wise, but the same in terms of physics and overall level design - but this time with completely original zones, and zone transitions for all zones. 

Add a gimmick or two and maybe a character, but continue to let players pick and choose which character or combo of characters to play as. No forcing.

Hopefully no voice acting, or if there is voice acting hopefully it can be disabled.

EDIT: Oh, looks like the rumors point to it being some racing game. Well there goes my interest. Good to know in advance so I don't need to pay attention to SXSW now.

While we have numerous indications about a Sonic racing game being in development, as far as I know we don't actually have anything to tie that to an SXSW announcement or teaser.  It could still perfectly well be Mania Project Plus or something.  (Both would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Both is likely, we know they are gonna talk about Mania, and Project Plus is a thing that exists. The new Sonic racer could be the "big announcement".

I changed my mind about wanting a mobile release of Sonic Mania. Sega will surely ruin it like they did with the Sega Forever versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 2

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

While we have numerous indications about a Sonic racing game being in development, as far as I know we don't actually have anything to tie that to an SXSW announcement or teaser.  It could still perfectly well be Mania Project Plus or something.  (Both would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.)

THIS ^

I don't want to sound too pessimistic but we could be setting ourselves up for disappointment here. I jumped on the hype train for the Resident Evil 2 remake reveal on Resi 2's 20th anniversary the other week. Nothing was shown at all , we as fans hyped up something that never came to be.

I hope we get all we want at SXSW but as FFWF said, I'm not holding my breath.

19 hours ago, SaberX said:

Now thats interesting.

Digimon, Klonoa, or Power Rangers would be better candidates than PAC-Man here, but it’s nice to see Sonic’s had solo crossovers with all three of his Smash buddies. 

5 hours ago, molul said:

It must be Project Plus. Can't wait to see what Taxman is bringing. And I bet it will be a mobile release announcement too.

If this Project Plus turns out to be a thing, then what I expect is a more polished version of Mania. I.e. all music glitches fixed and all missing cutscenes completed. Additional content such as more zones is not a realistic expectation. Would be awesome if this was the case, but I'm 100% sure it won't be.

In which case; a bundle which includes Mania and Sonic 1&2 remasters would be more than enough.

5 hours ago, Sean said:

I changed my mind about wanting a mobile release of Sonic Mania. Sega will surely ruin it like they did with the Sega Forever versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD.

I don't think it will come to Sega Forever directly. It will first cost 5-8€ and then it will be moved to Sega Forever.

So we better pay for the initial release before the Forever brand ruins it xD I'm so glad I bought the remasters before the Forever brand arrived.

Did anyone actually "confirm" the project plus plausibility more or less in terms of strong evidence? I must have missed it but what evidence are people going on when they're talking about that game being a possibility?

I still think movie is most likely reveal. Makes too much sense within the general timeline.

2 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Did anyone actually "confirm" the project plus plausibility more or less in terms of strong evidence? I must have missed it but what evidence are people going on when they're talking about that game being a possibility?

Project Plus is a test branch that was added to SteamDB a couple of months ago. That's all the information we have. It can be inferred that it related to an update/DLC/additional content of some sort for Mania, but it's entirely guess work. SEGA haven't said anything about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully is a physical release, with the remastered versions of 1, 2 and CD, the missing cutscenes and bug fixes. Like an ultimate or GOTY edition, if you will.

I'll buy 3, thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/03/cb-com-new-sonic-game-to-be-revealed-at-sxsw/

Train now waiting at platform one, all passengers for the hype train proceed to platform one.

That article links back to this: http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/02/01/sega-sonic-future-title-sxsw-mania-forces/

It's pretty likely a new Sonic game will be announced at the panel anyway, but the CB.com article isn't confirmation of that since they're going off the panel's description.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:43 PM, FFWF said:

While Sega may quite well possibly say what the heck "Project Plus" actually is, I hold serious doubts that it will be the 'new game announced'. It is more likely to be DLC or even just a patch than an entirely new game. If there was anything Taxman-made that would be considered a 'new game', it would be Mania 2 (which I don't see that being announced until SDCC at the very earliest).

There's going to be something else. My money's still on the racer from Sumo Digital. There's more evidence (even if there is not much) for that game than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to the games at least, I think its going to take a while before Hype-Train Sempai stops by my house again.

That article doesn't appear to have any new information, let alone confirmation, on the nature of what will be shown at SXSW; they're just making an assumption.  It's not and has never been an unreasonable assumption, but there is no objective and reliable statement confirming an announcement.