Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

26 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Ah, yes, Megaman, a currently very healthy and prolific series.

Aren't they making Mega Man 11?

• Thumbs Up 5

I agree we're getting off topic when all signs are pointing to a racing game. I'll just go ahead and add that I liked the multiple gameplay styles of SA1/SA2 and would want Tails' flying, Knuckles' treasure hunting, and Gamma/mech shooting and the like in a new Sonic Adventure inspired game. Big's levels were even some of my friends' favorite parts about replaying SA1 due to how lax and exploratory they felt.

But yeah, still looking forward to that likely new Sonic kart racer. If it follows the same pattern as Transformed, we should get a generic trailer for it at SXSW with a release date of Q4 this year, since we got Transformed's reveal trailer in April of 2012 and the game released that November. Then maybe we'll get a better idea of the new Sonic characters and courses this summer, as we got the trailer with Gilius and Vyse in July.

Megaman 11 was announced after nearly a decade of no new games, the last original release --Megaman 10-- was back in 2010; or 2012 if you count the officially-sanctioned fangame Street Fighter X Megaman. It's been only ports/compilations and a few mobile games (i.e. the notorious Rockman Xover) since then.

Megaman's death, as already mentioned, was mostly due to the series' chief producer leaving the company and nobody stepping up to take the mantle; but there is also the brutal reality that the Megaman IP has never seen much commercial success despite being one of Capcom's most prolific series and having a ridiculously large amount of games released for it. Out over over 130 games in the entire Megaman franchise, Capcom's historical IR sales reveal only four Megaman games have actually sold more than one million copies worldwide (Megaman 2 and 3; Megaman X, and Megaman Battle Network 4). Nearly all of those branches were at some point annualized series (releasing a new game a year), which only served for further cannibalize/oversaturate the series. It's not too hard to imagine extensive franchise fatigue came home to roost.

Being able to branch an IP out into different directions only works if your series is actually healthy enough to expand and if those branches in of themselves are themselves sustainable as it is. In both cases Megaman was neither; which arguably played a big role as to why Capcom was content with dumping the handful of in-development Megaman projects it had at the time and put the series on the shelf.

• Thumbs Up 5

19 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

And I'm saying we want a better spiritual SA3 than Next Gen. Why is that so hard to understand?

It’s all just hypocrisy. 

Classic fans are allowed a better game that caters to them after Sonic 4. Yet wanting an ACTUAL game that understands what people love about the Adventure era is somehow criminal to think about.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, knuckles20 said:

It’s all just hypocrisy. 

Classic fans are allowed a better game that caters to them after Sonic 4. Yet wanting an ACTUAL game that understands what people love about the Adventure era is somehow criminal to think about.

I guess it has to do with the gameplay and mechanics of the classic games work as well as they did in the 90s on the other hand the gameplay of the adventure games has not aged well trying to go back to that formula can cause more problems than benefits.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

I guess it has to do with the gameplay and mechanics of the classic games work as well as they did in the 90s on the other hand the gameplay of the adventure games has not aged well trying to go back to that formula can cause more problems than benefits.

As opposed to releasing the same game over and over and having the 3D games be half 3D games. So glad that you used that pathetic "hasn't aged well" excuse.

Why is it a problem that some fans want an actual 3D game and non-Sonic characters being playable and becoming more involved with the plot.

19 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

But even then, Mania was built upon a solid gameplay foundation that people know works. One cannot say the same thing about the adventure games. There may be ideas that can be extracted from them, but to have a game be titled SA3 and try to execute the same design philosophies that SA1&2 did (which was the point of Mania)....that won't ever happen and be successful. And at that point, why bother to title the game 'SA3'?

I'm telling you right now, the title of the game is the last thing of most Adventure fans concern. As long as it has characters playable, ACTUAL 3D gameplay (and not half assing it with 2D sections) and a plot worth giving a damn, fans won't care if it's called Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic Ultra Crazy Fun Time Journey & Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

2 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

It’s all just hypocrisy. 

Remember that the classic fans had to wait 5 years between E2 and Mania, I expect the Adventure fans to get the same treatment.

22 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Remember that the classic fans had to wait 5 years between E2 and Mania, I expect the Adventure fans to get the same treatment.

So we can expect an Adventure-ish game in 2022. Well at least I got the IDW comics to hold me over.

• Fist Bump 1

As opposed to releasing the same game over and over and having the 3D games be half 3D games. So glad that you used that pathetic "hasn't aged well" excuse.

Why is it a problem that some fans want an actual 3D game and non-Sonic characters being playable and becoming more involved with the plot.

I'm telling you right now, the title of the game is the last thing of most Adventure fans concern. As long as it has characters playable, ACTUAL 3D gameplay (and not half assing it with 2D sections) and a plot worth giving a damn, fans won't care if it's called Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic Ultra Crazy Fun Time Journey & Knuckles.

That's not an excuse especially if you compare Adventure with other modern games like Generations or Colors, the "problem" with Adventure fans is that the nostalgia not allow them to see the flaws in the gameplay and mechanics of the adventure series.

There can make a true 3d Sonic game without the need to return to outdated formula.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

That's not an excuse especially if you compare Adventure with other modern games like Generations or Colors, the "problem" with Adventure fans is that the nostalgia not allow them to see the flaws in the gameplay and mechanics of the adventure series.

There can make a true 3d Sonic game without the need to return to outdated formula.

I never said the Adventure games were flawless. The flaws that do exist don’t bother me. But then again most Adventure fans don’t care much about the mechanics as do other fans. 

I feel that the Adventure formula can work as long as there are people behind he games give it the appropriate amount of time and effort it needs.

Also good job portraying the hypocrisy of Classic fans can be nostalgic to their favorite games but Adverture fans can’t 

They can both be bad you know.

The problem is that this desire is phrased as "make SA3", which inherently drags a lot of the Adventure games' bad decisions along with it. You can have fully 3D gameplay and multiple characters involved in both gameplay and story without making a game that could be called SA3.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

They can both be bad you know.

The problem is that this desire is phrased as "make SA3", which inherently drags a lot of the Adventure games' bad decisions along with it. You can have fully 3D gameplay and multiple characters involved in both gameplay and story without making a game that could be called SA3.

What part of I don’t care about the title do you not understand? 

What you’re saying is very contradictory. You say we can have full 3D and multiple characters but right before it you label that desire as “make SA3”. So which is it? Are we allowed to want those elements in a Sonic game or not? Because if it’s the latter I’ve past the point of giving a damn. Especially to those who think Sonic can only be “good” by rehashing 1991 on an infinite loop.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

I joined the fandom in 2012, so there isn't any nostalgia on my part. I know the Adventure formula isn't perfect, but I believe it can be fixed.

• Fist Bump 1

This is going to sound shallow and neurotic, but I honestly just want a game NAMED Sonic Adventure 3, mostly so we can point at it and say, “This is SA3.” It won’t live up to the hype, but hopefully it would be decent. Then we can de-mystify our community’s Half Life 3 and move on. 

3 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

What part of I don’t care about the title do you not understand? 

Well... probably because whenever anyone points to Heroes, Shadow, 06 and to a point pretty much Forces being a continuation of the Adventure series in some way the response of 'that doesn't count' comes into effect.

There really is utterly only two sometimes three issues here, regardless as to how many times this argument is brought up, it always has 

1: The game isn't called SA3.

2: The ones which were pointed out above range from terrible to average.

sometimes 3: A chao garden.

Before someone comes at me with the 'I want a good story that I like, I want good gameplay that I like' those things are what everyone wants in any game. 

but I honestly just want a game NAMED Sonic Adventure 3, mostly so we can point at it and say, “This is SA3.”

No it won't, it would have to tick 2 boxes. It would have to be named that, and be the bestist thing ever, otherwise people would say it doesn't count... and we have recent evidence of this, the SA3 Facebook group (lol) were practically praising Forces like Jesus before it was released... Then suddenly when they got their hands on it, they invented a conspiracy about journalism and said 'Forces is a bit naff' doesn't count' anymore.

You can bet if Forces haddn't been shit, people would be praising akin to a new post adventure adventure esq type game just because it had all the hallmarks of one... like so many titles in between it and Adventure 2 did.

Anyway, I heard something about a racer game.

• Thumbs Up 7

19 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Sonic World Adventure is an example of "In name only". It is much less similar to Sonic Adventures 1&2 than '06 is...though not to say that they have absolutely nothing in common. But World Adventure has far more in common with Colors and Generations than it does SA1/2.

Does it really? How the levels are structured, the places you travel to(Adventure 1 was like this but SWA topped  lit up in scale) the story is presented and the entire philosophy of the game seems to be an oddball of a mirror to Adventure 1 and SA2 for how the levels are designed(in some manner).

11 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

You say we can have full 3D and multiple characters but right before it you label that desire as “make SA3”. So which is it?

I'm not the one labeling the desire "make SA3". All the people who call for SA3, by name, are labeling the desire "make SA3". And by saying "make SA3" rather than being specific about what aspects from the Adventures they want to return, they drag along all the baggage and bad ideas associated with the Adventure games.

Especially to those who think Sonic can only be “good” by rehashing 1991 on an infinite loop.

Nobody thinks this.

• Thumbs Up 8

16 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'm not the one labeling the desire "make SA3". All the people who call for SA3, by name, are labeling the desire "make SA3". And by saying "make SA3" rather than being specific about what aspects from the Adventures they want to return, they drag along all the baggage and bad ideas associated with the Adventure games.

Nobody thinks this.

What you consider bad ideas and baggage is not the same to other fans. For example I feel having a “3D game” be padded out with 2D sections and still calling it a 3D game is dumb. Same as constantly going back to Sonic’s roots or shoving Classic sonic in Forces was really unnecessary.

And you want specifics of what I want in a 3D game:

at least 2-3 non-Sonic characters playable

100% 3D gameplay (I shouldn’t have to explain this)

A plot that balances humor and drama

It may not be as detailed as others but I know what the hell I want.

18 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Well... probably because whenever anyone points to Heroes, Shadow, 06 and to a point pretty much Forces being a continuation of the Adventure series in some way the response of 'that doesn't count' comes into effect.

Yet It doesn’t stop Classic fans from saying Sonic 4 doesn’t count even though it meets the criteria of a Classic game.

Hell Sonic Mania should be really called Sonic 5 if we’re aren’t allowed to disown games.

Adventure 3 is just a placeholder title.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Yet It doesn’t stop Classic fans from saying Sonic 4 doesn’t count even though it meets the criteria of a Classic game.

Hell Sonic Mania should be really called Sonic 5 if we’re aren’t allowed to disown games.

OK. Mania is now Sonic 5.

... ... .... ... 

How does this impact anything again?

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

OK. Mania is now Sonic 5.

... ... .... ... 

How does this impact anything again?

I’ve should have use Forces because I was pointing out the hypocrisy how fans can call 06 SA3 all they want but the minute anyone wants to call Sonic Forces as Generations 2, they bring out the pitchforks and torches.

But If Adventure fans have to deal with 06 happening then Clasic fans shouldn’t be allowed to dismiss Sonic 4 and call Mania “the true Sonic 4”.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK people, it was fun for a while, but no more Sonic Adventure 3 discussion please. We ban SA3 topics for a reason, and discussing SA3 in a different thread isn't exactly better. Not saying anyone did anything wrong, just asking everyone to drop it. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Did Sumo ever consider having different karts characters could choose from? Or is each racer having a specific kart only a design choice they wanted?

3 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

So we can expect an Adventure-ish game in 2022. Well at least I got the IDW comics to hold me over.

Indeed! But in addition to IDW (and the movie, and yet I doubt Boom will get a third season), there will be plenty of pandering and false-starts as well. Unfortunately, the 2022 game will come too late for many fans.

2 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

Did Sumo ever consider having different karts characters could choose from? Or is each racer having a specific kart only a design choice they wanted?

I don't quite know, but I would like for racers who had had different vehichles or can have different vechicles to have them selectable. 

For example, if this is a sonic primary joint , rouge could have her car from sonic adventure 2 like shadow's bike from his game ( Sumo bring the bikes back please ). Or tails have an airplane car like in the first game, and also having his other car, which iirc is similar to the cars from the sonic adventure 2 racing mini game. They could also create new vehicles, possibly some very unique ones depending on the character

• Fist Bump 1

As far as I recall, one kart for each character was the idea from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1