Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

Maybe they'll learn their lesson, at last. And maybe then, will we have a functioning stream.

Or maybe there just won't be a stream. Which would be a death wish when you're revealing brand new stuff at the panel.

Personally I don't know how they plan to ever best that Sonic Mania announcement trailer...that was so good. They got a great reception to it too, at the event and online. Was a well put together trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

58 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Maybe they'll learn their lesson, at last. And maybe then, will we have a functioning stream.

Or maybe there just won't be a stream. Which would be a death wish when you're revealing brand new stuff at the panel.

I guess when it comes down to it they can just upload trailers or whatever online anyway. The problem with that, of course, is that...yeah, seeing reveals live at a panel (or at least in a presentation format ala Directs) is way more exciting and generally gets more attention.

Hopefully this time they're actually ready to do this. I'm guessing they have to clear things with the event organizers and stuff but like...if they got permission previous years surely it shouldn't be that much of a problem to get it done ahead of time?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Personally I don't know how they plan to ever best that Sonic Mania announcement trailer...that was so good. They got a great reception to it too, at the event and online. Was a well put together trailer. 

Funny thing about that is that apparently the people that were watching via the Twitch stream actually saw the trailer before the attendees did.

(Source: https://youtu.be/6NL50_W_mgU?t=3m30s)

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as this is only four days or so away, here's a lil' prediction list of what I reckon's gonna be talked about at the panel, sorted into categories of how likely each will be:

100% chance, will definitely happen:

• A chat about how well both Mania and Forces did (confirmed already)
  • That new game announcement (confirmed there'll be at least one new announcement, most likely the racing one if the many rumors are right - which to be perfectly honest, they probably are by this point. Either way we'll get a CG trailer, a release window and maybe a tiny snippet of gameplay if we're very lucky)
  • At least something related to the IDW comic (we're less than a month from launch and they've been really eager to promote it so this one's practically a no-brainer - possibly just some new covers shown off, maybe a bit more?)
  • A very brief mention of Sonic in Ready Player One (hasn't been announced properly yet and the film's not too far off now, so this one's very possible - it prob won't be much though, just "oh by the way he's in this film too")
  • A brief mention of how successful that Battle Racers boardgame was on Kickstarter (no announcements as such, just "look how damn great we are")

70% chance, may happen but may also not:

• Project Plus announced (whether it's announced here really depends on how substantial the DLC is - if it's just minor additions like level transitions and more bluespheres then it'll probably happen here, but if it's a ton more stuff like whole new zones and story bits then it may not happen just yet)
  • Something regarding the Paramount monstrosity movie (we could get a logo or a tiny snippet of info here, but it's more likely they'd save everything for SDCC where all the cool kidz announce their new films)

40% or less chance, most likely won't happen:

• Sonic confirmed in Smash 5 (if there's a Q&A someone's definitely gonna ask about it though, mark my fucking words)
  • Sonic Mania physical edition/soundtrack on CD (why must you hurt me this way S.O.E)
  • Anything else that could happen

I mean, I'm fully expecting to be proven completely wrong because that's just how these lists always are™, but here ya go I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Just touching on all that Adventure stuff from way back - why couldn't a theoretical on-foot racing game take the gameplay from them to test the waters for such a style returning? It was technically already touched on with SA2's Battle stuff, but I'm talking a full-on racing game separated from any sort of main game. But that's an idea for elsewhere.

The hinted karting game that seems likely to be announced at this event I'm hoping will be something interesting. If I'm being completely wild about this, I'd like to see a Doube Dash mechanic of having two racers per kart with only special character-specific powers available that are charged through collecting rings. The only power that would be charged would be the rear-facing character, so it would mean tactical swapping and usage of the powers.
Elsewhere, as above, I'm expecting the comic will be talked about, as well as mentions of other projects. I'm hoping an official livestream can be sorted, and with just a few days left, I'm interested in seeing what comes out of this.

• Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Just touching on all that Adventure stuff from way back - why couldn't a theoretical on-foot racing game take the gameplay from them to test the waters for such a style returning? It was technically already touched on with SA2's Battle stuff, but I'm talking a full-on racing game separated from any sort of main game. But that's an idea for elsewhere.

What works for a racing game doesn't necessarily work for a platformer. I enjoyed SA2B's racing mode well enough back in the day, but I don't think it could be directly scaled up into a full fledged racing game, and what changes they'd have to make wouldn't necessarily translate back properly into a platformer. Likewise I'm not sure interest in one directly translates to the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

Seeing as this is only four days or so away, here's a lil' prediction list of what I reckon's gonna be talked about at the panel, sorted into categories of how likely each will be:

100% chance, will definitely happen:

• A chat about how well both Mania and Forces did (confirmed already)
  • That new game announcement (confirmed there'll be at least one new announcement, most likely the racing one if the many rumors are right - which to be perfectly honest, they probably are by this point. Either way we'll get a CG trailer, a release window and maybe a tiny snippet of gameplay if we're very lucky)
  • At least something related to the IDW comic (we're less than a month from launch and they've been really eager to promote it so this one's practically a no-brainer - possibly just some new covers shown off, maybe a bit more?)
  • A very brief mention of Sonic in Ready Player One (hasn't been announced properly yet and the film's not too far off now, so this one's very possible - it prob won't be much though, just "oh by the way he's in this film too")
  • A brief mention of how successful that Battle Racers boardgame was on Kickstarter (no announcements as such, just "look how damn great we are")

70% chance, may happen but may also not:

• Project Plus announced (whether it's announced here really depends on how substantial the DLC is - if it's just minor additions like level transitions and more bluespheres then it'll probably happen here, but if it's a ton more stuff like whole new zones and story bits then it may not happen just yet)
  • Something regarding the Paramount monstrosity movie (we could get a logo or a tiny snippet of info here, but it's more likely they'd save everything for SDCC where all the cool kidz announce their new films)

40% or less chance, most likely won't happen:

• Sonic confirmed in Smash 5 (if there's a Q&A someone's definitely gonna ask about it though, mark my fucking words)
  • Sonic Mania physical edition/soundtrack on CD (why must you hurt me this way S.O.E)
  • Anything else that could happen

I mean, I'm fully expecting to be proven completely wrong because that's just how these lists always are™, but here ya go I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why that wouldn't happen? Not even an announcement if so? Mania's development ended 8 months ago, I'm pretty sure the team could cook up some new content for Mania.

Okay, i am just as hyped as most of you all, but everyone keeps bringing up this INCORRECT point as a "reassurance" that something big will be revealed.

SXSW WAS NOT THE REVEAL OF SONIC MANIA/FORCES.

SXSW 2016 was this: 

No reveals. They announced that there will be the Sonic 25th Anniversary Event on July 22nd.

AT THAT ANNIVERSARY PARTY, they revealed Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces (on July 22nd, 2016).

SXSW 2017 revealed Sonic Forces' name (so it wasn't just Project Sonic 2017) and Flying Battery Zone (+some more tiny bits) for Sonic Mania.

People are mixing up SXSW with the Anniversary Event, and you need to remember that SXSW (for the past 2 years AT LEAST), has had NO game reveals. 

So remember, SXSW is NOT where the 2 games were revealed, so please keep that in mind when you think "oh they revealed Mania and Forces here, so they must reveal a new game here!"

Just saving the potential disapointment down the line.

Regardless... HYPE!

29 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Why that wouldn't happen? Not even an announcement if so? Mania's development ended 8 months ago, I'm pretty sure the team could cook up some new content for Mania.

I do think that, somehow, no Mania news would still be good news/ could be revealed at e3 perhaps; it would still indicate there is something going on that can't be revealed yet! 

However it does seem like a key and most welcome space to communicate about the continuation of both realms of Sonic!  One would think they would definitely present something new for 2D Sonic, as long as there is something that fits to be shared, due to how many people are currently interested and enthusiastic!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wpulddoubt they would save a e3 reveal for a 2d sonic game unless huge expansion. 20+ new levels. Otherwise a smaller show will be fine for it. It shouldn't be hard to whip up new stages for 2d seeing as the mod community is able to do it left and right in a few weeks if not months.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

What works for a racing game doesn't necessarily work for a platformer. I enjoyed SA2B's racing mode well enough back in the day, but I don't think it could be directly scaled up into a full fledged racing game, and what changes they'd have to make wouldn't necessarily translate back properly into a platformer. Likewise I'm not sure interest in one directly translates to the other.

When you say that, I suppose it could just be used for a racing game. A platformer, a racer, and the boost games could all co-exist. Different things for different people, though overlap can happen.

43 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

Okay, i am just as hyped as most of you all, but everyone keeps bringing up this INCORRECT point as a "reassurance" that something big will be revealed.

SXSW WAS NOT THE REVEAL OF SONIC MANIA/FORCES.

SXSW 2016 was this: 

No reveals. They announced that there will be the Sonic 25th Anniversary Event on July 22nd.

AT THAT ANNIVERSARY PARTY, they revealed Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces (on July 22nd, 2016).

SXSW 2017 revealed Sonic Forces' name (so it wasn't just Project Sonic 2017) and Flying Battery Zone (+some more tiny bits) for Sonic Mania.

People are mixing up SXSW with the Anniversary Event, and you need to remember that SXSW (for the past 2 years AT LEAST), has had NO game reveals. 

So remember, SXSW is NOT where the 2 games were revealed, so please keep that in mind when you think "oh they revealed Mania and Forces here, so they must reveal a new game here!"

Just saving the potential disapointment down the line.

Regardless... HYPE!

That doesn’t mean they couldn’t reveal a minor-spinoff, additional content for a released game, or the future of alternate media there. I say the reveal of whether Boom gets a third season or not is also 70% likely.

32 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

That doesn’t mean they couldn’t reveal a minor-spinoff, additional content for a released game, or the future of alternate media there. I say the reveal of whether Boom gets a third season or not is also 70% likely.

Oh I know, I never said that there CANT be a reveal.

I just know that a lot of people (including that video up above posted by Soneez) claim that "last time at SXSW they revealed Sonic Forces and Mania!" so im just reminding people that it wasn't SXSW where it was revealed.

• Fist Bump 1

The movie? Might be too early for that tho. The two toy company lines for racing products, as well as the Project Plus data do indicate we have at least one potential game and one possible expansion/update coming. It's just a case of when.

It's a pity the racing products seem to indicate karts, especially when Sumo have said if there is a new ASR brand game it isn't them being contracted to do it. Could be a white lie to cover NDA as has happened in the past, especially since Aaron said there's no racing game, yet the toy fair stuff says otherwise. But if Sumo isn't doing it I would rather it be a different type of racer, as a new studio could potentially ruin the so far good track record (no pun intended) of that series.

Heck, give me Sonic R2 by a new developer with refined gameplay, better physics, more tracks, story/arcade mode, more characters, cheesy was music etc and I would be pretty interested. 

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Tenko said:

Heck, give me Sonic R2 by a new developer with refined gameplay, better physics, more tracks, story/arcade mode, more characters, cheesy was music etc and I would be pretty interested. 

Yes ^_^  Sonic R is a roomiest of hype trains that i think many people would understand and get onboard, as long as it were presented showing its best attributes!  it's exciting, simple, the first game is legendary in its own right, and it would have a similar higher intensity to Mania due to the original game being released a bit over 20 years ago! 

The potential is there for at least a complete mode or two, with numerous courses, within a larger new racing game. 

I literally keep hoping for a proper SatAM game even though SEGA keeps trying to push it under the rug

I don't really care for Sonic racing games

I will constantly mock the movie trailer if there will be one

• Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I literally keep hoping for a proper SatAM game even though SEGA keeps trying to push it under the rug

This implies there's a huge demand for it that they're trying to ignore.

SatAM is dead. It's not coming back, whether we like it or not.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

This implies there's a huge demand for it that they're trying to ignore.

SatAM is dead. It's not coming back, whether we like it or not.

Unless the stars align just right when something akin to what caused the Boom initiative happened...

I hope we get anything related to Sonic Mania, even if it's just some charts showing how well the game did. That game should be reference for every Sonic game from now on. I still don't believe it happened, and in the same year as that crap Forces. It's surreal how this franchise can go so high and so low this quickly. Hopefully we can stay high... I don't want to end everything with one game.

What the?!?!

Oh. It's those games again. Well, that was going to happen eventually. I would totally get this for the Taxman's versions of Sonic 1 and 2 alone, but it's most likely the usual shaddy emulation.

I think it's fairly likely this isn't THE reveal we're waiting for. Wouldn't shock me if it's getting formally announced at the event or the same day but yeah nah a Mega Drive compilation, as cool as it is to have on current gen, isn't exactly worth hyping on its own so there's no doubt more to see!