Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

As posted by @Ratcicle King in the status updates, there was a store a while back that put up listings of (un)announced Sega games for pre-orders. One of them was "Sega MegaDrive Collection" for a Q2 release; and another game listed was Mania (presumably a physical release).

DJYDJxrVAAAoYFf.jpg&key=ca858d39f6d65e4e

Assuming the Genesis Classics compilation is related to MD Collection listing in this listing; it could mean a physical release for Mania may be revealed at the Sonic SXSW panel this week.

e: This listing leak was first discovered back in September from last year, for those wondering how long ago this leak was floating around.

e2: Also worth bringing up store listings about a physical release for Mania have persisted for months following the game's reveal

• Thumbs Up 3

If Mania's Project Plus thing was a substantial expansion of some kind, then I guess a physical release could be on the cards. Especially now they know the title will sell. 

Edit : Perhaps Project Plus could even be an addition of content or fixes, and adding Taxman Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD into some kind of physical release. I could see a Sonic collection  of sorts with Mania includes being a good physical selling point 

• Absolutely 1

Like the article mentions I'm wondering where the Switch version is. Seems like a no brainer to cash in on the lack of a Virtual Console service and let people take the Mega Drive titles on the go.

That and the weird coming to PC bit...when it essentially looks like a port of the entire Steam set up for the Mega Drive titles. It's already on PC. Unless there's a free Steam update with new features.

Speaking of, do you think the console version will be as open as the PC one with the sharing of custom roms etc? Got to get Sonic 3 Complete in there somehow. Hopefully Sonic 3K works too unlike the PS3 collection...

1 hour ago, R.C. said:

@Tenko Is Sonic 3 even in the collection? I first read about the collection on Sega Bits, and the article didn't mention Sonic 3.

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/03/13/sega-genesis-classics-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc/

Doesn't appear in the screenshots either.

There's 59 titles on the Steam version of the Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics Collection. I just looked at mine in case I was thinking of another collection or platform, but Sonic 3K is 100% on there. So...is this another case of Sonic 3, and by extention Sonic & Knuckles being unable to be put on newer systems/collections due to this whole perceived music rights issue again? 

rsz_20180314_190430.thumb.jpg.c1ad7cd719fece97aea8b066d3da4f0e.jpg

I'm almost willing to bet they have removed the Archie Sonic comics from the ground that sit to the right of the games shelf too.

• Fist Bump 1

The lack of Sonic 3 in our lifes is so painful. Seriously, change the music, and remaster that game, c'mon SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

2 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

What in the fudge, so it's all about this? I think I already own these games at least three times. 

This seems like something they will mention, enthusiastically, during the course of the hour discussion, but not as one of the main reveals! ^_^  Although it is good to approach this with lowered expectations, because it is probably going to be quite exciting after all, in one way or another!  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

This seems like something they will mention, enthusiastically, during the course of the hour discussion, but not as one of the main reveals! ^_^  Although it is good to approach this with lowered expectations, because it is probably going to be quite exciting after all, in one way or another!  

Thank goodness, now I can breath. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BlueFlare said:

Thank goodness, now I can breath. :lol:

Moreso now: it is actually officially announced, before the panel :):)  I was being optimistic but now it does seem like it will be something to give a positive mention briefly as recent exciting news, but, definitely not a reveal!   https://twitter.com/SEGA

I just noticed all the Ecco the Dolphin games on the Steam version of the Mega Drive Classics Collection are missing from the console release too, there must be one or two others as well since the PC version has 59 titles and the console release is listed as only having 53....Sonic CD was moved as a separate title into the titles supported by the collection so that's one more.

Wonder why Ecco is missing? More copyright issues?

On 3/12/2018 at 11:42 PM, Jango said:

Will there be our good old MOTOBUG stream? :)

On 3/13/2018 at 2:14 AM, Polkadi said:

No doubt about it. But that also depends on whether the SXSW panel is actually being livestreamed.

Just saw this, it will indeed be streamed on Motobug, granted that we actually know the details of the livestream.

but god help me if it ends up being like the 25th anniversary party stream, i cant go through that again I JUST CANT

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SaberX said:

Maybe. This collection doesn't seem to be a big deal at all. From my perspective is just another bad milking strategy...like many others in the past.

Anyway, since we're pretty close to the event I'm somehow more inclined to believe this game might not be what we expected. I could be wrong though.

I'm inclined to agree, the loss of Sonic 3K might be a deal breaker to some but these particular games have been released so many times now I would imagine that might impact sales. Those that didn't have the PS3 release may pick this up however.

It does mean whatever the announcement will be at the panel tho won't be this, as it wouldn't be a world first

Well, guess that's a confirmation then.

Happy to announce Motobug will be streaming this, just need the time of the stream in GMT so I (or the other members on Motobug) know when to start the stream. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

8 hours ago, Tenko said:

I just noticed all the Ecco the Dolphin games on the Steam version of the Mega Drive Classics Collection are missing from the console release too, there must be one or two others as well since the PC version has 59 titles and the console release is listed as only having 53....Sonic CD was moved as a separate title into the titles supported by the collection so that's one more.

Wonder why Ecco is missing? More copyright issues?

The six missing games are:

• Sonic CD
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco: Tides of Time
  • Ecco Jr.
  • Eternal Champions

Sonic CD is the Whitehead remaster, doesn't run in a Mega Drive emulator. Sonic 3 is probably the music legal issues. 

There was a lawsuit regarding Ecco the Dolphin a while back. They settled, but the outcome isn't publicly known: https://venturebeat.com/2016/12/16/ecco-the-dolphin-creator-settles-lawsuit-with-sega-possibly-paving-way-for-series-rebirth/

Eternal Champions has some Mortal Kombat style violence, which would raise the age rating of the collection, whereas in Steam each title is sold individually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ecco and its sequel and spin-off are listed on the PSN write up for the release. So it appears they aren't missing after all. 

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

Ecco and its sequel and spin-off are listed on the PSN write up for the release. So it appears they aren't missing after all. 

Source?

Nah, they're missing. A PSN write up is probably just listing the PS3 collection which included all three Ecco games.

Edited by TheOcelot

1 hour ago, TheOcelot said:

Source?

Nah, they're missing. A PSN write is probably just listing the PS3 collection which included all three Ecco games.

Whoa, damn your right the PSN Blog that Sega linked to on Twitter seems to have been stealth edited. The Ecco titles aren't on there anymore, yet they were this morning when I was going to do my own comparison list and decided not to since it didn't seem to be missing much outside of Sonic 3K and Sonic CD.

Guess that legal issue with them wasn't sufficiently resolved after all.