Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

So now there's a rumor for Forces 2? LOL, which ties into a Heroes remake without Team Rose, but with Team Forces! And Mania 2 with Rosy the Rascal. Honestly this sounds like a bad joke, trying to be funny.

I saw these in a youtube video, not sure where the info came from, it says it's an article, but I assume it's from 4chan. What do they think we are? As gullible as Knuckles?

I'm thinking they might do a repeat of 2016 where they use SXSW to announce a Sonic event, where we get more of a look at whatever's next.

IDW news is highly probable too, of course.

Though if we are speculating, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Mania 2 is already in production and it would be confirmed at either this panel or the hypothetical 2018 event. Mania's presumably a low enough intensity project with enough fanfare and return on investment I could see them making a new one every 2-3 years.

Let's remember that in the golden age of the PS2 platformers, they were releasing the games virtually back to back.

• Nice Smile 1

What did they announce last year's SWSX? The heavies and Flying Battery maybe? If so, I'd say it's the right place to announce what comes with project plus.

17 minutes ago, molul said:

What did they announce last year's SWSX? The heavies and Flying Battery maybe? If so, I'd say it's the right place to announce what comes with project plus.

Also they named Forces and played Fist Bump for the first time.

2 hours ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

I'm thinking they might do a repeat of 2016 where they use SXSW to announce a Sonic event, where we get more of a look at whatever's next.

IDW news is highly probable too, of course.

Though if we are speculating, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Mania 2 is already in production and it would be confirmed at either this panel or the hypothetical 2018 event. Mania's presumably a low enough intensity project with enough fanfare and return on investment I could see them making a new one every 2-3 years.

Let's remember that in the golden age of the PS2 platformers, they were releasing the games virtually back to back.

Sonic project 2019

• Thumbs Up 1

actually, a 3D sonic game this year isn't too farfetched.

it's happened before, colors got released in 2010 while generations got released in 2011. it's possible that they did the same thing with forces and this unannounced other game, as they thought they would once again get good critical reception, while sonic forces only managed to get completely mixed critical reception. hopefully, if there is a new 3D sonic game coming, it won't cause a flamewar... again.

Why do you guys think they are gonna announce another Sonic party where they are gonna make announcements? I hope this is not the case because I would not be happy to wait more... but I seriously doubt it, 2016 was Sonic's anniversary, so of course they made a party, plus the SXSW event was basically pointless, but now? I don't see it happening again.

8 hours ago, Bergamo (Ogilvie) said:

This. Just a "so yeah, we are making Mania 2, more on it during the June-July event". I don't wanna see nothing of it, just say the words: Taxman and crew are on it, it would be bigger and better. And fucking call it Sonic Fever. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Why do you guys think they are gonna announce another Sonic party where they are gonna make announcements?

Because it's been done before. Several years in a row, in fact.

1 hour ago, Jack of Tangles said:

2016 was Sonic's anniversary, so of course they made a party

The trend is they've held the events whenever there was big news to share (and conversely, didn't hold them in years where there wasn't, hence why 2015 and 2017 get left out). It's not just about anniversaries. Although the first was held to coincide with the 20th and the most recent was held to coincide with the 25th, so the ball is really in the community team's court as to whether they make it a mostly-annual thing like it was in the early 2010s, or make it an anniversary thing alone.

These events also have a dedicated press pool invited to them, which probably assists getting the word out when they're not being drowned out by every other company's projects at a larger event.

Hey, I'm not saying it's impossible, I just wouldn't want to wait more. But I doubt it's the case, because they legit said "world exclusive first look", and now they teased the event more on Twitter, something that reminds me of when they teased the date of that party in 2016.

I have heard rumors that Sonic Heroes is getting a remake/sequel. While I personally would love to see that, how realistic are the chances for this? Considering the direction they''re going with the Boost formula, it seems pretty unlikely to me. Maybe it's possible though, as seen in the third part of the final boss in Forces, where one controls all three playable characters at once.

6 minutes ago, FairPlay said:

I have heard rumors that Sonic Heroes is getting a remake/sequel. While I personally would love to see that, how realistic are the chances for this? Considering the direction they''re going with the Boost formula, it seems pretty unlikely to me. Maybe it's possible though, as seen in the third part of the final boss in Forces, where one controls all three playable characters at once.

It's fake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's fake. 

Yeah I know, but, as an example, back in 2016 people also said character creation in a Sonic game would never happen. Look at Forces now.

30 minutes ago, FairPlay said:

Yeah I know, but, as an example, back in 2016 people also said character creation in a Sonic game would never happen. Look at Forces now.

The character creation was never deconfirmed by Sega. Heroes remastered was

19 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The character creation was never deconfirmed by Sega. Heroes remastered was

Really? Was a Heroes remake/remaster truly deconfirmed by Sega? Even if it seems extremely unlikely, one can dream at least.

19 minutes ago, FairPlay said:

Really? Was a Heroes remake/remaster truly deconfirmed by Sega? Even if it seems extremely unlikely, one can dream at least.

Aaron literally tweeted that the rumors were flat out not true. 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Aaron literally tweeted that the rumors were flat out not true. 

I guess I should read Twitter/watch Sonic streams a bit more. I take what Sega says with a pinch of salt though. Remember the Sonic 4/Colors/Generations days when Sega said they wouldn't bring Classic Sonic back? He was deconfirmed to reappear again in future games. Fast forward to 2017, he has appeared in the most recent main titles and has his own timeline/dimension.

I guess we'll have to wait. Even then, I still think maybe they are saying the truth this time around, I remain very skeptical about the Heroes rumor.

2 minutes ago, FairPlay said:

I guess I should read Twitter/watch Sonic streams a bit more. I take what Sega says with a pinch of salt though. Remember the Sonic 4/Colors/Generations days when Sega said they wouldn't bring Classic Sonic back? He was deconfirmed to reappear again in future games. Fast forward to 2017, he has appeared in the most recent main titles and has his own timeline/dimension.

I guess we'll have to wait. Even then, I still think maybe they are saying the truth this time around, I remain very skeptical about the Heroes rumor.

Sega saw the success of classic which sparked him coming back. I don’t think that can be mimicked with heroes given it’s reception

• Thumbs Up 2

People liked Heroes when it came out. It's not even put up as a "bad Sonic game" very often, usually because it's easier to take shots at the errant stupidity of "the one with the sword" or "the one with the werewolf" or "the one with guns". I mean, what would Heroes' dumb shallow critic identifier be? "The one with bad voice acting and somewhat slippery controls and too much combat sections and it makes you play it four times"? Let alone that those are all problems not unique to it.

Not to say a Heroes remake is likely, possible, or even a good idea, but it's not the least likely candidate.

I mean, obviously they just need to remake SA1, 2, Heroes and Shadow all in one collection with massively overhauled structure, writing and physics but y'know

• Thumbs Up 1