Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

I honestly don't think it's worth remaking anything past SA2, and even remaking SA2 is kind of a hard sell to a lot of people.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I mean, what would Heroes' dumb shallow critic identifier be?

'too many people in one space'

57 minutes ago, Josh said:

I honestly don't think it's worth remaking anything past SA2, and even remaking SA2 is kind of a hard sell to a lot of people.

Well not a remake per se, but a remaster of Colors for Xbox, Switch and PlayStation would be nice considering it’s the only mainline game that showed up in Gens that was exclusive to Nintendo. That always didn’t sit right with me 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Well not a remake per se, but a remaster of Colors for Xbox, Switch and PlayStation would be nice considering it’s the only mainline game that showed up in Gens that was exclusive to Nintendo. That always didn’t sit right with me 

Colors sold more than gens so it's not like there's a bunch of people sitting around that didn't know what it is or didn't play it or anything. I wouldn't mind but it doesn't seem like there's much demand or an audience for it. 

If they ever bother with the Boost games they should do all 3 together imo.

I don’t exactky know why you brought sales into it, I wasn’t saying it’s a heavily desired thing or anything, simply something I personally would like to see. Not that I’d prioritize it over like a new game.

Honestly, I don't think anything past Sonic 3 will ever get the attention of Sega. Like, the Adventure/Modern fans are considered lunatics everywhere, and seeing how Sega listens to the vocal fans, I guess that even if they did the Heroes remake, it would just be Sonic alone, running through green hill and chemical plant. 

19 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Honestly, I don't think anything past Sonic 3 will ever get the attention of Sega. Like, the Adventure/Modern fans are considered lunatics everywhere, and seeing how Sega listens to the vocal fans, I guess that even if they did the Heroes remake, it would just be Sonic alone, running through green hill and chemical plant. 

Then it would stop being a remake considering the core gameplay is team-based (with the Heroes word in mind) and these stages do not appear at all in the original. Might as well be an entirely different game. Regarding the games Sega pays more attention to, I would say it's from Sonic 1 to Sonic 3D (occasionally including Sonic CD, Mean Bean Machibe, Spinball, and 8-bit entries), with countless re-releases, ports, and compilations that include them.

6 minutes ago, FairPlay said:

from Sonic 1 to Sonic 3D with countless re-releases, ports, and compilations that include them.

Nah, 3D blast got only 2 rereleases, to me it's more Sonic 1 to CD.

Like, Sega doesn't really like the post-CD era games. The compilations that featured them came out in 2001-2009. Heck, even Whitehead didn't remake Sonic 3 because of this treatment of these games.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, FairPlay said:

I guess I should read Twitter/watch Sonic streams a bit more. I take what Sega says with a pinch of salt though. Remember the Sonic 4/Colors/Generations days when Sega said they wouldn't bring Classic Sonic back? He was deconfirmed to reappear again in future games. Fast forward to 2017, he has appeared in the most recent main titles and has his own timeline/dimension.

I don't think that was so much "lying" as "changing their minds."

3 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Like, Sega doesn't really like the post-CD era games. The compilations that featured them came out in 2001-2009. Heck, even Whitehead didn't remake Sonic 3 because of this treatment of these games.

I find it somewhat unlikely that SEGA would nix a classic remastering just for such nebulous reasons, not least since I'm fairly sure CD was always far more obscure than 3&K; the theory that some of Sonic 3's music is tied up in impenetrable rights issues which they don't want to have to make a statement on strikes me as more likely.  After all, S3&K material got remade for both Generations and Mania.

14 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I don't think that was so much "lying" as "changing their minds."

They are quite unpredictable with their decisions. The Heroes remake/remaster seems far more unlikely than Classic Sonic appearing again though. Who knows really... Forces puts a lot of emphasis on teamwork with these "Tag" stages and, the last section of the final "Death Egg Robot" boss makes the player control all three characters together.

(From 4:23 onwards)

From a personal, technical and artistic point of view, I'd say Sonic adventure 1 is the best game to remake, as it always struck me as a game with ambitions too big for what they could pull of in 1998. And being Sonic Team's first experimental jump into 3d it comes across as a bit messy and held up by scotchtape here and there.
A game mostly flawwed for technical reasons more then conceptial reasons (Outside of Big the Cat) so it's the one that can gain the most of getting a cleaner modern take.

From a Sega point of view, I fully expect them to go for Heroes tough. It's drenched in Classic Sonic imagary, only has 14 levels and 7 level themes, so relatively cheap to make.
It's biggest flaw is that it's kinda dull, which means it has little of the kind of internet "This game is so terrible!!!" hyperbole surrounding it.
Even the cutscenes are closer to Modern Sonic's cutscenes, being seperate pre-rendered video's instead of in-game sequences.
Cheap, mediocre, below the radar of controversies, and filled with Classic Sonic imagary. Heck, there's even Green Hill zone 2.0 in it trough Seaside Hill. Yeah, I can see why Sega would take this one as their big remake game, if they do one.
I would say I'd love a Sonic Heroes remake if they can spice up the level design a little, but...Hah. Modern Sonic Team and Level design.

That said, I doubt we'll get any game anouncement. Not getting my hopes up for nothing. I still remember 2015 with it's Thousand and one Sonic parties and zero anouncements. And even 2016's first half was mostly endless Sonic themed parties with nothing but "maaaybe something maybe wink wink." nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 8

Except this time they are teasing the date of SXSW, and the description says "world exclusive first look" or something like that. While in 2016 they didn't tease the event, the only thing they teased was the July party, and that was something big.

Yeah yeah, I know, "don't believe Aaron, SEGA or PR"... whatever.

I've read the rumours about Heroes Remastered, and I wonder, if they were real, why would Sonic Team want to remake a game as mediocre as Heroes?

The controls are as slippery as a floor covered in grease, the levels are long and boresome to play through (and you need to play all of the levels 4 times to get the ending), the bosses are repetitive, and the game is just dull and bland altogether. Also, Seaside Hill. No. Just no.

Sonic Adventure 1 is far more deserving of a remake than Heroes ever will. Not only is it arguably the most iconic of the 3D sonic games, but for its time it was an innovative title, despite flaws with its camera and the bosses being easy enough to complete blindfolded. Controls were perfect for a Sonic game, the levels were memorable and the soundtrack is purity. You can still enjoy playing that game nowadays (I played through the game a year ago and it was still enjoyable despite the camera issues and that purple cat I will never mention the name of)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

As much as I love Sonic Heroes, I probably would hate the remake. Heck, I would probably hate any remake of Dreamcast Era with current voice cast and terrible writing.

It's not that I hate Sonic Voice actor or anything, I think he is a good fit, but his Sonic is kind of reckless and he seems like he does not care. I really liked Roger as Ezio, but something in his version of Sonic rubs me the wrong way.

As for new 3D game I dont have high hopes. I was really dissapointed with Forces. What I would love is a 3D platformer inspired by SA1/ SA2 Sonic stages mechanics.

Also Hi guys, I've been reading forums for a long time, finally decided to post something :)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Adventure fans are becoming more and more vocal, despite currently being seen as madmen. Weren’t classic fans once seen like that? 

Sega actually never made a Remake of any Sonic game. Why should they start now? Also Heroes is a pretty odd choice. It is not a hated game but also not a very beloved one.

The only games worth remaking are the 4 classics (1, 2, 3&K and CD) with hand drawn graphics (or another fancy artstyle, just not those unispired and ugly 3D), obviously using the same exact physics, pretty much. In fact, it would be a remake of Taxman's remasters, which already have extra stuff and fixes, like speed cap, more levels, modes and playable characters.

Maybe the first Adventure? I just don't know HOW could they do it. At the end of the day, it would end up being a totally different game, so why not just make a new one instead? Unless they wanna use the same story elements and what not. Then again, the story in Sonic Adventure is nothing stellar either.

• Nice Smile 1

Hello all, I'm new here.

I would like to show you guys why I think the game that's being teased is likely a new All-Stars Racing game.

Let's start with the Elephant in the room, recently there were leaked slides from a Sumo Digital presentation that claimed there was a new Kart Racer based on a global IP,  everyone naturally assumed it's a new Sonic All-Stars Racing game, until Aaron Webber's tweet:

Hi guys – saw rumors floating today about another SART game. Just wanted to confirm it’s not a thing!

Normally, this would be enough to put matters to rest.  But I think this tweet is a bit deceptive. First of all, he specifically wrote it as "SART", aka Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed... But who is to say the next game will be called 'Transformed' ?  Maybe it's called something else.  Like SEGA & Atlus All-Stars Racing? Or another subtitle? 

Moving on, there was a thread on ResetEra about that very tweet.  Some users expressed disappointment after hearing a new All-Stars Racing was not in the works, but a ResetEra admin and industry analyst ZhugeEX responded to one of these posts.  Here is what he said:

zxHtspH.png

ljEvdjx.png

Sounds to me like he's hinting at SEGA kart game from Sumo.

Anyway, I decided to look for further evidence, and I came to know that Sumo had some sort of an internship / competition program in partnership with certain UK universities, where they hire (or least job interview) the winners to join their studio.  Amongst the challenges was "design a vehicle based on a SEGA character"  for a SEGA All-Stars Racing. 

Here are some of the entrees:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/45Zz2

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1WWW2

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YvRzV

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Eo2Ze

Mind you, this was fairly recent (around April last year), so perhaps they are trying to recruit people who would be a good fit with their current project?

And lastly, comes the fact that Sonic Team just shipped a game, so I don't think they have a game ready for 2018 yet, same goes for TAXMAN and co.   So it would make sense if the Sonic game of 2018 came from Sumo  like what happened in 2012 with Transformed.

• Thumbs Up 3

The basis that "well he had a T in there so it must be proof that I'm right" is an incredibly flimsy one. If Aaron really didn't want to get rid of the idea that there was a new All-Stars Racing game in the works, he wouldn't have said anything, or at least he shouldn't have. Why would you want to lower people's hopes for something that you actually are doing, only to leave a clue that would un-lower everyone's expectations once it became widespread anyway? To keep from spoiling the surprise that you're already spoiling anyway?

Plus, I don't honestly want another All-Stars Racing game. I want Sonic to get racing games, and I want the neglected cast of ASRT to get new entries in their own franchises. Or maybe a fucking PORT OF JET SET RADIO FUTURE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE CONSOLE PEOPLE ONLY BOUGHT FOR HALO FIFTEEN GOD DAMN YEARS AGO?

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

The basis that "well he had a T in there so it must be proof that right" is an incredibly flimsy one

Oh come the fuck on, please..How reductionist can you get if that's what you're taking away from my post? 

Why would you want to lower people's hopes for something that you actually are doing, only to leave a clue that would un-lower everyone's expectations once it became widespread anyway? To keep from spoiling the surprise that you're already spoiling anyway?

What clue?  Aaron didn't give any clues.

He wants to make the SXSW announcement a surprise again.  Because the leaked slides pretty much spoiled it.  It's not the first time a developer pulled this trick, and if my memory serves me right, Aaron did something similar in the past.

I would agree that being over-analytical about the exact phrasing of Aaron's tweet is probably redundant.  He wanted a short but instantly recognisable way of describing the Sumo Sonic racers, so he simply abbreviated the most recent installment's title; I doubt he thought about his wording for more than a second.  As for the Sumo internship challenge, it makes sense that they would ask potential staff members to create something comparable to Sumo's existing work; they wouldn't give away a future project so openly and so far in advance.  And as for the "insider" clues, they're probably an indication of what is already obvious, that the new Sumo kart racer represents a popular IP which people will not be disappointed in, one which will satisfy people who enjoyed the All-Stars racing gameplay without its character representation.

Now, is it possible that everyone involved is being especially cryptic and hinting almost by reverse psychology that a new Sega All-Stars racer, or even something like a new Sonic racer with a separate concept, is coming?  Absolutely.  But it's neither the most plausible nor the most probable explanation.

• Thumbs Up 2