Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

Not true.  people love other non sonic Sega characters.  the problem is if it's not sonic Sega doesn't do crap in advertising or effort into them. Jet set. Monkey balls, house if the dead. Max anarchy could have been amazing but they rushed it out with good testing and did not advertise it at all. But sonic ho go buddy they will milk him dry

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Swing said:

What kind of logic is that? How many times could I for example play as Vyse form Skies of Arcadia? Only two times so far in his original game and one time in an All-Star game that's it. And what about Billy Hatcher? Just three times so far? In Riders 2, All-Stars Racing and his original game. A Sonic fan on the other hand could have played with Shadow and Blaze in more than 15 games already. How unfair is this against the people, who really want to play as their favorite characters again. Trust me. Sonic toegther with his bunch of questionable friends will live on for may more years. But the other Sega series only have this All-Star games left for them. Acting like Sonic is getting treated unfairly is really selfish thinking.

I didn't say I wasn't being selfish, but it is unfair for the Sonic cast. We want different things, this is why I said let them make different games, a SEGA crossover with Sonic alone from his cast (just to sell the game, basically) with an All-Star cast of SEGA characters, and then have a Sonic only spin-off with our favorite characters, and I want it by Sumo Digital.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Tangle Tango said:

Heck, some of the other franchises don't even have as many characters to give as the Sonic franchise.

That is because they have only one max. two games. No wonder they couldn't expand their universes more. I mean... duh! If Mario for example only had one game in his entire lifetime the cast would also be just Mario, Peach, Luigi, Toad and Bowser. No Yoshi, Daisy, DK, Wario, Waluigi, Diddy or Rosalina. 

11 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

We haven't played as Sonic's friends in years, only on mobile games, Shadow in Forces, Tails and Knuckles in Mania.

In the All-Stars series there have only been 7 Sonic characters, in the Mario & Sonic series there have been 10, which is an okay number, the rest were only playable in 1 event in Rio.

I just want a high level Kart game starring the Sonic cast, made by Sumo Digital and that can rival Mario Kart.

"We haven't played as Sonic Friend's in years except in a ton of mobile games over the last 5 years and a couple of games that just came out last year." is kind of cherry picking, and omitting Boom, which also had a variety of  characters playable. Runners is barely 3 years old and had  20 Characters, Forces Speed Battle came out last year and has like 16, all with different stats and items! And "only 7 Characters" in ASRT? Really? That was like a THIRD of the roster!

Look, I get that people want to play as characters they like. But there are plenty of options in the last few years alone, and yeah, some might shout "But I want it on console", but seriously, at least you got them somewhere. Meanwhile, there are so many Sega Franchises that haven't seen a new game in a decade, sometimes even two or more, so why can't Sonic Fans, who get games shoved down their throats on a yearly basis, not hold back once and let fans of other Sega Franchises that never get recognition in any way, shape or form have ONE game  that throws them a bone with tons of fanservice once in a while? 

There will still be lots of Sonic Stuff in an All-Stars Racing. There will be tons and tons of Sonic content in the future. Leave this one, ONE series partially to Sega Fans.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Thigolf said:

There will still be lots of Sonic Stuff in an All-Stars Racing. There will be tons and tons of Sonic content in the future. Leave this one, ONE series partially to Sega Fans.

You said it! Their are so many characters I want to see. If it wasn't for Transformed I would have not found out about Skies of Arcadia, which has turned out to be one of my top 10 favorite games of all time. Sonic fans have over 100 of Sonic games, had a long running comic series, a new comic series for 2018, mobile games, 5 TV shows, an OVA, toys, plushies, a huge fan community and an upcoming movie and still that is not enough for them. NOOOOOOOOO... Sonic's friends should also dominate the All-Star games. 

36 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I didn't say I wasn't being selfish, but it is unfair for the Sonic cast. 

Truly, I cry for the Sonic cast, who are in every other game ever.

Give me a break. This is the one time nowadays forgtten SEGA rep like Fantasy Zone gets fresh limelight (besides ports, which granted are magical with M2 at the helm) and we're complaining that it's unfair to Sonic!? When a third of the roster ends up being Sonic anyway?

Even then, it wouldn't necessarily increase sales to make it Sonic only - Sonic fans will buy it regardless of if sodding Infinite is in it, because Sonic's mainstays are there and there's a slew of tracks to match. Hell, several of the "beloved" characters you mentioned earlier (Cream? Really?) haven't been meaningful in nearly a decade! That's not to say they don't matter, but it's the same argument as the "SEGA IP aren't relevant" one. 

It'd just lose the additional sales that fans of SEGA's not-Sonic rep (and trust me, there's plenty of SEGA fans who aren't fond of Sonic in particular) would give. Just tells em that "hey, that thing we do to show appreciation of our fans that like things that aren't Sonic? Yeah, fuck it, MORE SONIC!"

• Thumbs Up 6

Lol this discussion is daft

I wouldn't be too upset personally about an entirely Sonic-focused game succeeding the AS series. Sonic is my favourite franchise, and I've always wanted to see some of the other characters and environments get a look-in beyond just the most well known ones. On the flip side, where else am I going to get new Jet Set Radio or Billy Hatcher material if not in the ASR series? SEGA aren't going to make new games from their log of defunct franchises any time soon, so losing out on this source would suck.

Whatever happens, I could be happy with either of these possibilities. Both sides are valid, although I do have to edge more towards the SEGA side being the best of both worlds situation.

• Thumbs Up 6

Let's not forget those people asking for Miku's inclusion just to fulfil their hentai dreams :V

I kid, I kid. If I was in charge a lot of you would hate me, I'll pick Sonic and Eggman at best to represent the Sonic IP and that's it. I'd give you Toejam & Earl, Ristar, Kid Chameleon, Dynamite Headdy, Axel and Blaze, Sketch Turner, Vectorman any day.

Maybe make the Sonic characters paid DLC :P

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

Maybe make the Sonic characters paid DLC

Huh,  funnily enough even SEGA weren't dumb enough to stoop to lows in that kind of EA territory with Forces,  kek. Thankfully. 

Hopefully they've also gotten the message after the Super Sonic dealio too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Thigolf said:

"We haven't played as Sonic Friend's in years except in a ton of mobile games over the last 5 years and a couple of games that just came out last year." is kind of cherry picking, and omitting Boom, which also had a variety of  characters playable. Runners is barely 3 years old and had  20 Characters, Forces Speed Battle came out last year and has like 16, all with different stats and items! And "only 7 Characters" in ASRT? Really? That was like a THIRD of the roster!

Look, I get that people want to play as characters they like. But there are plenty of options in the last few years alone, and yeah, some might shout "But I want it on console", but seriously, at least you got them somewhere. Meanwhile, there are so many Sega Franchises that haven't seen a new game in a decade, sometimes even two or more, so why can't Sonic Fans, who get games shoved down their throats on a yearly basis, not hold back once and let fans of other Sega Franchises that never get recognition in any way, shape or form have ONE game  that throws them a bone with tons of fanservice once in a while? 

One? Project X Zone is still a thing, right? Too bad about very old or non-Japanese characters, though...

And even Sumo has largely neglected the possibility of more characters and IP in a non-playable fashion, or DLC that makes sense (yes, I do consider the acquired Total War characters to make sense, though I would have greatly preferred just one of them due to being crushingly realistic). 

There’s also stuff like Denki Bunko Fighting Climax...

7 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

One? Project X Zone is still a thing, right? Too bad about very old or non-Japanese characters, though...

There’s also stuff like Denki Bunko Fighting Climax...

In the case of PxZ, I agree... but also PxZ is widely considered to be pretty mediocre to actually play. At least with ASRT the characters get to be in a game that's got a wider audience, in a more accessible genre. 

Much as I love Dengeki Climax, there's only two actually playable SEGA characters in that. Which I don't mind because Taiga is all I need, but hey. 

Personally, much as I like the various Sega franchises and wouldn't mind another crossover game, I'd rather Sega tried getting someone to develop a new title in one of those series instead of throwing them as is into a crossover. People lament the state of the Mother and F-Zero franchises at Nintendo, but on the flip side Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon etc are mostly healthy. Even Star Fox and Kid Icarus have games from just last gen. At Sega, most of ASR's lineup is of F-Zero and Mothers. At some point, they cease to be a selling point for casual, contemporary audiences.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Personally, much as I like the various Sega franchises and wouldn't mind another crossover game, I'd rather Sega tried getting someone to develop a new title in one of those series instead of throwing them as is into a crossover. 

I'd love that too, but frankly that's slightly unrealistic. And even if it weren't - why not both?

EDIT: Actually I take that back - I think handing a few older IPs to M2 would be feasible and result in some neat stuff 

I don't know why people ignored my post-idea where I said I'd be open to a SEGA crossover racing game or another kind of spin-off where it's only Sonic from his own cast and all SEGA characters, as long as there are good spin-offs that offer a great cast of playable Sonic characters, or, I dare to say, playable in main games. I have nothing against the other SEGA franchises, I just want quality games that focus on my favorite characters. But most of the replies to my posts are basically "How dare you wish for those shitty Sonic characters to invade the only chance at spotlight for our beloved and glorious SEGA franchises!".

3 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I don't know why people ignored my post-idea where I said I'd be open to a SEGA crossover racing game or another kind of spin-off where it's only Sonic from his own cast and all SEGA characters, as long as there are good spin-offs that offer a great cast of playable Sonic characters, or, I dare to say, playable in main games. I have nothing against the other SEGA franchises, I just want quality games that focus on my favorite characters. But most of the replies to my posts are basically "How dare you wish for those shitty Sonic characters to invade the only chance at spotlight for our beloved and glorious SEGA franchises!".

Making a completely separate game just so Sonic's not intermingled with Those Dang Dirty SEGA IPs would be a huge waste of budget, given again, most Sonic fans would just buy the crossover anyway. It's just as overwrought a 'solution' as axing the SEGA IP in the first place. 

If it were say, another Riders game, then sure go crazy. But making two Kart Racers, one with Sonic & SEGA IPs and one with just Sonic would be daft. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

Making a completely separate game just so Sonic's not intermingled with Those Dang Dirty SEGA IPs would be a huge waste of budget, given again, most Sonic fans would just buy the crossover anyway. It's just as overwrought a 'solution' as axing the SEGA IP in the first place. 

What do you suggest they do then?

Just now, Jack of Tangles said:

What do you suggest they do then?

If they're going to do a Sonic-only racer, make it something unique like Riders or R. Especially R. I'd love another R style game. 

• Thumbs Up 6

29 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Personally, much as I like the various Sega franchises and wouldn't mind another crossover game, I'd rather Sega tried getting someone to develop a new title in one of those series instead of throwing them as is into a crossover. People lament the state of the Mother and F-Zero franchises at Nintendo, but on the flip side Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon etc are mostly healthy. Even Star Fox and Kid Icarus have games from just last gen. At Sega, most of ASR's lineup is of F-Zero and Mothers. At some point, they cease to be a selling point for casual, contemporary audiences.

And some of the characters found nowhere within these have gone to StarTropics and Eternal Darkness levels of forgotten. 

I think Shenmue 3 could be a good starting point in reviving the old franchises. Sega needs to dedicate time and energy to it though. I'd rather they work on that instead of relying on Sonic fans and nostalgics to keep those franchises alive.

Again, if we got another crossover I won't complain, I just think it doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective. Not as much as trying to see how well the Sonic brand can still sell anyways.

6 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Again, if we got another crossover I won't complain, I just think it doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective. Not as much as trying to see how well the Sonic brand can still sell anyways.

There's already a line of main games to see how Sonic's brand sells. ASRT just has that, plus the benefit of all the SEGA rep. Makes sense from a "SEGA want to make money" perspective. Shit, Sonic's name is literally on the box of each one.

How much of ASR's revenue was from the Sega franchises, and how much was it Sonic? People want to see Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow playable, will we increase sales if we also have Vector, Silver, and Blaze playable? Mania sells but Forces maybe not, is the Sonic brand strong enough to make a profitable spin off title?

Those are the kinds of questions Sega might be thinking about with regards to a Sonic only racer. Or maybe not. All I can do is speculate.

7 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

How much of ASR's revenue was from the Sega franchises, and how much was it Sonic? People want to see Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow playable, will we increase sales if we also have Vector, Silver, and Blaze playable? Mania sells but Forces maybe not, is the Sonic brand strong enough to make a profitable spin off title?

Those are the kinds of questions Sega might be thinking about with regards to a Sonic only racer. Or maybe not. All I can do is speculate.

ASR's revenue was from ASR. It's nigh impossible to quantify it "by franchise."

Sonic fans would buy a new ASR because of Sonic anyway. I doubt sales would substantially increase if it were Sonic only - again if anything they'd go down since it'd cut out a lot of the appeal for some people. Not every SEGA fan is necessarily a fan of Sonic - shit, a sizeable chunk of SEGA fans resent Sonic due to his huge focus and middling games. Cut out the SEGA characters and you cut out a hefty chunk of the nostalgic appeal for players.

Not that sales would be terrible if it were Sonic only, but why bother when you can get Sonic fan money and general SEGA fan money?

On a related note: I'm not sure where the idea earlier in the thread that ASRT did poorly came from. It's got nearly 1 million owners on PC alone. And certainly sales factor into that, but it's still not bad innings.

• Thumbs Up 6

@Tracker_TD is right. And like the Game Grumps said. Fans will in the end buy everything from Sonic. So you will not really use anything if the other Sega series show up in a game. And by the way, almost 1/3 of the content in this game. Tracks, songs, characters, items etc. is Sonic based. Their for you Sonic fans still get the most out of it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

ASR's revenue was from ASR. It's nigh impossible to quantify it "by franchise."

Sonic fans would buy a new ASR because of Sonic anyway. I doubt sales would substantially increase if it were Sonic only - again if anything they'd go down since it'd cut out a lot of the appeal for some people. Not every SEGA fan is necessarily a fan of Sonic - shit, a sizeable chunk of SEGA fans resent Sonic due to his huge focus and middling games. Cut out the SEGA characters and you cut out a hefty chunk of the nostalgic appeal for players.

Not that sales would be terrible if it were Sonic only, but why bother when you can get Sonic fan money and general SEGA fan money?

On a related note: I'm not sure where the idea earlier in the thread that ASRT did poorly came from. It's got nearly 1 million owners on PC alone. And certainly sales factor into that, but it's still not bad innings.

I agree with this mostly, although I would maintain that Sonic's name carried ASR/ASRT to perform as well as they did. SEGA, in their infinite wisdom, could instead perceive such a thing as the other IPs holding Sonic back.

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I agree with this mostly, although I would maintain that Sonic's name carried ASR/ASRT to perform as well as they did. 

Oh yeah absolutely, no denying that. But hey - the SEGA IPs give it an extra push, so they may as well keep that.

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

SEGA, in their infinite wisdom, could instead perceive such a thing as the other IPs holding Sonic back.

Tragically, you're right here too. Shit, I'd argue we're seeing it in this bloody thread.

• Thumbs Up 1