Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

If we actually do get a new ASR or whatever Sega crossover kart game by Sumo (hopefully) then I fucking hope we get some Yakuza and Phantasy Star representation, hell get someone from Atlus why not, I'd love to see someone from Persona racing by Kiryu and Sonic. Also hope to have some newcomers from ASRT comeback with some of the racers from ASR like Billy and  Robo & Mobo etc.

It would be kind of a bummer if it was a Sonic only kart racer tho', and I wouldn't mind it and all but one thing I love about the two ASR games was not just how well they played but just having all these neat SEGA character side by side and doing something with them besides just having them just sit and collect dust.

Although, I guess nothing is stopping a Sega Superstar game from being made by someone else, but it sure be great if it was actually made by Sumo Digital.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd love Kiryu (hey, if Bayonetta can be in Smash Bros I'm sure they can figure something out here) and Arle to show up, personally. AGES returning would be a must, too. 

And bring back my boy Opa-Opa, for pete's sake!

...and Miku. Just for the reactions.

• Thumbs Up 2

It is really sad to think that Nintendo did such a great job in taking care of their Ips while with Sega it seems they do not have any real bound with them. Even Rare seems to care about their series even until this day. Sega really has no love and care for their series while others like Whitehead and Sumo do.

3 minutes ago, Swing said:

It is really sad to think that Nintendo did such a great job in taking care of their Ips while with Sega it seems they do not have any real bound with them. Even Rare seems to care about their series even until this day. Sega really has no love and care for their series while others like Whitehead and Sumo do.

I'd argue SEGA do take some care towards their older IP. Key example would be giving the porting jobs to M2 (or just letting Sumo go crazy with the IPs in the first place, to be honest). It's not new games, but admittedly applying budget to these very niche titles is somewhat less feasible than I wish it were.

I think they're getting better though, with modern IP like Yakuza and Puyo gaining more traction in the West. 

In M2's case particularly, their 3D Classics range are simply some of the best ports of any games I've ever played. Ironically the only let-down M2 put out in that range quality-wise was... Sonic 1, since the spindash wasn't even properly programmed. Even then it's still far above the likes of Classic Collection. 

10 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Oh yeah absolutely, no denying that. But hey - the SEGA IPs give it an extra push, so they may as well keep that.

Tragically, you're right here too. Shit, I'd argue we're seeing it in this bloody thread.

This is mostly Sega's fault for prioritizing Sonic so much over literally all of their other IP's. People treat the other Sega IP's as unimportant because Sega's treated them like that for years over Sonic. 

Remember that they slapped Sonic's name on the series just so it could sell more, and the Sega characters are pushed back more and more on the cover just so Sonic and Eggman can have more spotlight.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

This is mostly Sega's fault for prioritizing Sonic so much over literally all of their other IP's. People treat the other Sega IP's as unimportant because Sega's treated them like that for years over Sonic. 

Remember that they slapped Sonic's name on the series just so it could sell more, and the Sega characters are pushed back more and more on the cover just so Sonic and Eggman can have more spotlight.

It's not ideal, but honestly I don't mind Sonic taking precedent. He is the mascot after all - I'm just grateful that ingame, just as much love and care is put into crafting the other characters and worlds. T'is business, innit.

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's not ideal, but honestly I don't mind Sonic taking precedent. He is the mascot after all - I'm just grateful that ingame, just as much love and care is put into crafting the other characters and worlds. T'is business, innit.

Yea, it's just irksome that's not good enough for some people and that Sonic needs his own entire game separated from the Sega IP's.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That just shows how badly they treated their other IPs. Or do you guys remember the opening scene for Transformed. They only focused on Sonic and his pals (at least Vyse could do a little bit more, but that's not enough.) Now watching it again I totally forgot that Gilius and Aiai were also in the intro. 

Broke: Wanting the game to be either just Sonic characters or a mix of Sonic and SEGA characters

Woke: The entire roster is now just multiple copies of Danica Patrick

danica-patrick-sonic-and-all-stars-racin

(in all seriousness, I'd prefer it with the other SEGA IPs in tow as it's more fun an' varied that way innit - I'd still buy it either way tho so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ innit)

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Jango said:

Sometimes I forget Danica happened. It was so surreal.

I just thought the same. What was that? And the charity character... Pure filler.

The franchise should be Sega All-stars Racing. Shorter and more accurate. I know the name "Sonic" is there just to sell more, but I don't care.

20 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Because it gets old fast, though im sure most would enjoy seeing 2d games only going forward.  Sega needs to learn from nintendo on making vast world games that always surprise you. As far as the transfomred games ive been trying to think of what they could do new. Unless they go the split/second route and make the stages change depending on what characters do on the stage, break building to make new routes or team based races.

Sonic isn't Mario. Sega has made many Sonic in 3D but, be honest, noone of them is so cool like the 2D (gameplay) Episodes. I cannot imagine a Sonic like Mario Galaxy :/

I'd like to play a Sonic Galaxy anyway.

3 hours ago, Tailsrules said:

I'd like to play a Sonic Galaxy anyway.

Sonic Lost World exists. That's pretty much the same game.

As for the whole "NEW ALL STARS RACING THING", eh, I'm not too exited. Most of these old Sega mascots have already been degraded to "That guy from SASR", and I don't really like that. I'd rather see a new Golden Axe or Jet Set Radio than see Julius and Beat appear in a racing game for the Nth time. Not to mention that SASR is already 35% Sonic, and knowing Sega's modern policy, there will be EVEN MORE Sonic characters in the sequel, I'm telling ya. Like, I dunno, Zavok, Sticks, Jet, maybe even the triumphant return of Big the Cat and then MAYBE Arle from Puyo Puyo/Ristar as a cameo. 

Myself personally, I would like a Riders 4. Like, if Sega wants to have a damn Sonic racing game, then they should just make one, and not lure poor Sega fans who just want to see Nights or AiAi return into buying that with some "Hey, there's that one Sega character, that isn't Sonic in a game that's 50% Sonic! BUY IT NOW, FILTHY PEASANT!" 

As a huge fan of those All-Stars Racing games, I'll admit that while an All-Sonic cast racer would be way up my alley, the charm of a bunch of characters from a bunch of series I've never played before (aside from Super Monkey Ball and Samba De Amigo, which I actually did play a game from each of them) actually did hit me well enough to become interested in them. It was great seeing them all there with their crazy designs and interesting premises when I got around to looking them up. I'd say I'm far more interested in these SEGA Ips than a lot of the Nintendo ones just going by how they look and the general feel I get from playing as them in the games. Hell, I got the Wii version of Samba De Amigo for Christmas because me and my brother were interested after playing the All-Stars Racing game. And we had a lot of fun playing it too. Got us into a lot of songs we hadn't heard of or had forgotten were a thing too.

There's definitely a benefit to keeping the other IPs around but that benefit only bares fruit if SEGA themselves are interested in doing something with them. If anything, playing those games have made me want to become a Modern fan of SEGA's stuff but I can't because they don't really do anything with their All-Stars.

It's like being shown the modeling sheets for a new set of awesome action-figures and then finding out that they're never actually going to come out.

I'll say that I'm torn but if SEGA's not actually going to do anything with their IPs anymore than why not just do a Sonic racer I guess. There's so very little hope left for even Sonic himself at this point.

You know, that's the truly messed up thing. They focus so much on Sonic in lue of all this other stuff that I'd love to get into should they come out with more modern games, and they can't even get a modern version of Sonic down right.

There's evil companies like EA and Activision. And then there's companies that I think are just consistently drunk, like SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 3

In my vision, all the old SEGA IPs were retired (as if their games were their jobs), then one day they've decided to meet up do some races :V There isn't much lore or reason needed to bring them, even if SEGA isn't going to make a brand new game out of one or more of them... I mean, not long ago a new Jet Set Radio was pitched to SEGA, AND IT LOOKED FREAKING SWEET, and they didn't gave a damn... Same with Streets of Rage.

I'm kinda over the fact that these IPs are not coming back, and if the All-Stars games are a mean to keep them alive, I'm happy, at least these ARE great games (well, except the tennis game :V). 

6 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Sonic Lost World exists. That's pretty much the same game.

As for the whole "NEW ALL STARS RACING THING", eh, I'm not too exited. Most of these old Sega mascots have already been degraded to "That guy from SASR", and I don't really like that. I'd rather see a new Golden Axe or Jet Set Radio than see Julius and Beat appear in a racing game for the Nth time. Not to mention that SASR is already 35% Sonic, and knowing Sega's modern policy, there will be EVEN MORE Sonic characters in the sequel, I'm telling ya. Like, I dunno, Zavok, Sticks, Jet, maybe even the triumphant return of Big the Cat and then MAYBE Arle from Puyo Puyo/Ristar as a cameo. 

Myself personally, I would like a Riders 4. Like, if Sega wants to have a damn Sonic racing game, then they should just make one, and not lure poor Sega fans who just want to see Nights or AiAi return into buying that with some "Hey, there's that one Sega character, that isn't Sonic in a game that's 50% Sonic! BUY IT NOW, FILTHY PEASANT!" 

I don't see it as quite that cynical. Sumo are very evidently huge fans of SEGA's IP and it shows in their efforts recreating the worlds and characters to modern standards. I don't see it as an attempt at "luring along" old SEGA fans - it just throws them a bone without wrecking their finances as badly as taking a chance on all these niche IPs would, innit. I'd love a new JSR for instance, and I think one would perhaps do better than SEGA think - but I can understand why ASR is the main source of JSR content now, and I think it's more of a labour of love than the cynical cash grab you give it credit for.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, SaberX said:

True. Although, I remember Sega at least trying with some of those old IPs long time ago. I think they gave up because most of them failed.

Because they didn't cared enough.

I don't think SEGA forgot about their retired franchises, they do keep them alive in some ways, with ports and don't forget that Forces had the Avatar costumes as pre-order bonus, with AiAi, NiGHTS, Joker, Amitie and Beat. I know most of you don't care about the Avatar feature, but it's still something.

That's why I think SEGA is still interested in making an ASR crossover. If they don't do the transforming gimmick, we could easily have a roster of 30 plus characters, with 10-11 Sonic characters and more than 20 SEGA characters I'd be more than happy. Just give me for the Sonic side, Silver, the Chaotix (together), Sticks and Infinite.

If you really want to play other Sonic characters in this crossover, than we should just get rid of some of the other Sonic characters. Trow out, Knuckels, Shadow and Metal and than give the spotlight to Silver, Blaze and Team Chaotix. Problem solved! 

A new All-Stars Racing game fits Sega's supposed new strategy of bringing their old franchises back. It's a great way to showcase their legacy, but if they don't immediately or very quickly launch a new game from any of those franchises, the effect fades out soon.

Maybe this new entry is better planned as part of this strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Swing said:

If you really want to play other Sonic characters in this crossover, than we should just get rid of some of the other Sonic characters. Trow out, Knuckels, Shadow and Metal and than give the spotlight to Silver, Blaze and Team Chaotix. Problem solved! 

I would strangely be okay with this, I've thought about it, but I'm pretty sure people would get mad. Why can't there be 10 Sonic characters and 20 SEGA characters? Since it's supposed to be "Sonic & All-Stars" Sonic should get 50% of the roster, I think it's generous giving a 33% to the Sonic cast and 66% to the other SEGA franchises, and considering that most customers are Sonic fans. Not that any of us get to decide the roster anyway...

5 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I would strangely be okay with this, I've thought about it, but I'm pretty sure people would get mad. Why can't there be 10 Sonic characters and 20 SEGA characters? Since it's supposed to be "Sonic & All-Stars" Sonic should get 50% of the roster, I think it's generous giving a 33% to the Sonic cast and 66% to the other SEGA franchises, and considering that most customers are Sonic fans. Not that any of us get to decide the roster anyway...

Sonic gets top billing because a) that's business and b ) he's SEGA's mascot. That doesn't mean his franchise should take up 50% of the roster. It's already got a majority as is - they've struck a good balance in past games. 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

It is called Sonic & All-Stars because it will sell more. It has nothing to do with that Sonic is the better series, it is because it is the only known IP from Sega. Even Sega, the company itself, are more unknown in the public than on of their own properties.

Also, it makes no sense to turn a crossover game into half of a Sonic game. Also, if you guys really, really, really want to have an only Sonic racing game just ask for another Riders. You already have your own racing series with a Sonic only cast! Why on earth do you want to destroy the All-Stars series into another generic Sonic game if you already have one! Just ask for that for crying out loud!

I mean, let's be honest here. You Sonic fans already made it clear, that the biggest priority is not to have a good, fun game, that represents the history of the Srga, no, you just want to play as Sonic's pals. And for that the Riders series already exist. Here you can play as Blaze, Silver, Vector, Rouge, Cream, maybe even Classic Sonic, Infinite, Mephiles, Tangle, Sticks ad other beloved if we get a 4th game. Here you can go and play as many Sonic characters as you want. And the best part is you will not vomit by playing a Riders game. Do you know why? Because this series has no disgusting Sega characters like Ulala, or Nights or Vyse or Billy Hatcher in it. Isn't that great? ISN'T IT?