Awoo.

Sega is teasing a new Sonic something reveal for SXSW 2018

molul

5 minutes ago, Swing said:

It is called Sonic & All-Stars because it will sell more. It has nothing to do with that Sonic is the better series, it is because it is the only known IP from Sega. Even Sega, the company itself, are more unknown in the public than on of their own properties the own. That's why! 

Also, it makes no sense  to turn a crossover game into a half Sonic game. Also, if you guys really, really, really want to have an only Sonic racing game just ask for another Riders. You already have your won racing series with a Sonic only cast! Why on earth do you want to destroy the All-Stars series into another generic Sonic game if you already have one! Just ask for that for crying out loud!

I mean, let's be honest here. You Sonic fans already made it clear, that the biggest priority is not to have a good, fun game, that represents the history of the company, no, you just want to play as Sonic's pals. And for that the Riders series already exist. Here you can play as Blaze, Silver, Vector, Rouge, Cream, maybe even Classic Sonic and Sticks if we get a 4th game. Here you can go and play as many Sonic characters as you want. And the best part is you will not vomit by playing a Riders game. Do you know why. Because this series has no disgusting Sega characters like Ulala, or nights or Vyse or Billy Hatcher in it. Isn't that great? ISN'T IT? 

It does actually, Riders has guest characters. It's not a bad thing, I like the SEGA characters, it's not black and white as you put it, that's why I'm interested in another All-Stars Racing in the first place. I don't just want to play as my favorite Sonic characters, I want them in a GOOD GAME, and Riders is not that good IMO. So I'd be okay with 10 Sonic characters in a crossover game, what's so bad about it? You still get your 20+ SEGA characters, if that's not good enough for you, I don't know what to say, it's like you want to avoid a Sonic cast invasion into your precious SEGA game.

2 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

So I'd be okay with 10 Sonic characters in a crossover game, what's so bad about it? You still get your 20+ SEGA characters, if that's not good enough for you, I don't know what to say, it's like you want to avoid a Sonic cast invasion into your precious SEGA game.

Because this is just way to much. Mario is Nintendo's mascot but this series doesn't get 1/3 of the content in Smash Bros. Why on earth must Sonic get this treatment? And why on earth does only Sonic has to get a good racing game and the other Sega characters not? 

8 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

it's like you want to avoid a Sonic cast invasion into your precious SEGA game.

I mean, when the ASR games are one of the few times these characters get limelight, I can kind of understand why people would be miffed with it becoming more and more of a Sonic affair when Sonic's constantly in the limelight anyway, yeah. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

I mean, when the ASR games are one of the few times these characters get limelight, I can kind of understand why people would be miffed with it becoming more and more of a Sonic affair when Sonic's constantly in the limelight anyway. 

That right here is my point! I want to see my beloved Skies of Arcadia crew in action again! And this only possible with the All-Stars game. Same with Billy Hatcher or Nights. Ulala and Beat. Non of them will ever have a new game in the future. Sonic on the other will live one for at least 20 more years. Why is it so hard for people to understand that this series is mostly made for other Sega Ips. It is not just another Sonic game, it is something unique and special and even good. 

3 minutes ago, Swing said:

Because this is just way to much. Mario is Nintendo's mascot but this series doesn't get 1/3 of the content in Smash Bros. Why on earth must Sonic get this treatment? And why on earth does only Sonic has to get a good racing game and the other Sega characters not? 

1. Mario got 9 characters in Smash Wii-U plus 7 Koopalings skins. That's a good treatment.

2. Can't Sonic get his own good spin-off? Do they have to be all crossovers with Mario and SEGA stuff as it's been since 2010?

3. As I said, the Sega cast got ASR and Transformed as good games, where are the good racing games with the Sonic cast? R sucks, the Drift series sucks, the Riders series sucks aside from maybe the first one.

1. Mario got 9 characters in Smash Wii-U plus 7 Koopalings skins. That's a good treatment.

2. Can't Sonic get his own good spin-off? Do they have to be all crossovers with Mario and SEGA stuff as it's been since 2010?

3. As I said, the Sega cast got ASR and Transformed as good games, where are the good racing games with the Sonic cast? R sucks, the Drift series sucks, the Riders series sucks aside from maybe the first one.

9 characters in a series with as many characters as Smash is pretty much proportional to Sonic's current treatment in ASRT. In fact, even moreso: Sonic has characters in ASRT, and that's bearing in mind ASRT has far fewer characters than Smash.

Sonic can have his own spin-offs sure, but another kart racer is what we're talking about here. And now, I just don't see a Sonic-only kart racer as a logical progression after ASRT.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

9 characters in a series with as many characters as Smash is pretty much proportional to Sonic's current treatment in ASRT. In fact, even moreso: Sonic has characters in ASRT, and that's bearing in mind ASRT has far fewer characters than Smash.

Sonic can have his own spin-offs sure, but another kart racer is what we're talking about here. And now, I just don't see a Sonic-only kart racer as a logical progression after ASRT.

Then let's just have a bigger roster. And I just want a Kart racer dedicated to Sonic, not another Riders.

If you guys are not okay with 10 Sonic characters and 20 SEGA characters in the roster, you are really gonna be disappointed because this is the most realistic scenario. I would be happy with this, so good for me.

And the only roster that satisfies me so far is the one in Mario & Sonic Rio, even though a lot of them are just 1 event guests.

Then let's just have a bigger roster. And I just want a Kart racer dedicated to Sonic, not another Riders.

If you guys are not okay with 10 Sonic characters and 20 SEGA characters in the roster, you are really gonna be disappointed because this is the most realistic scenario. I would be happy with this, so good for me.

And the only roster that satisfies me so far is the one in Mario & Sonic Rio, even though a lot of them are just 1 event guests.

The realistic scenario is the one we already got two games prior. It worked fine there. Bigger rosters cost bigger money, and the balance wasn't an issue as is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If was for me I would just out in Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman and that's it. And also the classic version so they will be not able to talk and say one liners. 

7 minutes ago, Swing said:

And also the classic version so they will be not able to talk and say one liners. 

That's a silly reason to include a character if you ask me. :U

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Tangle Tango said:

That's a silly reason to include a character if you ask me. :U

Like I said, this is just my personal reason. Some of the dialogues that Sonic characters say make me really cringe. I actually prefer when they are not talking like in Mania. 

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

it's more of a labour of love than the cynical cash grab you give it credit for.

Well, if that's the case, then explain me WHY exactly does it have to market itself as a Sonic game? Because SASR isn't a SEGA game. It's a Sonic game. Notice how many tracks/characters/music there is from the supposed "Sega" part. One character for each game, one stage for each game, and one or two music tracks for each game. Now look at THE AMOUNT OF SONIC IN IT! There's FIVE stages, SIX CHARACTERS, a crap ton of music, etc. Heck, even on the cover of SART, it's not Sonic racing Nights or Ulala, it's SONIC racing TAILS AND EGGMAN. If Sumo were such huge fans, then they'd, I dunno, INCLUDE MORE CHARACTERS FROM OTHER SEGA GAMES, like, I dunno, Ristar.

Heck, SASR is a cash grab in every sense. Remember that time Wreck-it-Ralph and Danicia Patrick were in the game? Yeah, these were definitely here because of the heart and soul.

*Sorry for the screwed up message. My internet connection went bonkers for a moment*

7 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Well, if that's the case, then explain me WHY exactly does it have to market itself as a Sonic game? Because SASR isn't a SEGA game. It's a Sonic game. Notice how many tracks/characters/music there is from the supposed "Sega" part. One character for each game, one stage for each game, and one or two music tracks for each game. Now look at THE AMOUNT OF SONIC IN IT! There's FIVE stages, SIX CHARACTERS, a crap ton of music, etc. Heck, even on the cover of SART, it's not Sonic racing Nights or Ulala, it's SONIC racing TAILS AND EGGMAN. If Sumo were such huge fans, then they'd, I dunno, INCLUDE MORE CHARACTERS FROM OTHER SEGA GAMES, like, I dunno, Ristar.

Heck, SASR is a cash grab in every sense. Remember that time Wreck-it-Ralph and Danicia Patrick were in the game? Yeah, these were definitely here because of the heart and soul.

It's marketed as a Sonic game to help sell. That's common business sense, not indicative of a lack of soul in the game itself. Sometimes marketing has to come first, and that's just life innit. Same goes for the amount of Sonic content - he's SEGA's mascot, of course he takes precedent. There's still a combined total of other SEGA characters above the Sonic character total in ASRT. Same for tracks.

It's like how Sonic Mania was marketed by SEGA as a Mega Drive throwback, whereas dev comments and unused files indicate pretty clearly it's a Saturn homage. The marketing gearing more towards Mega Drive to help sell the game to a wider audience doesn't overwrite the love and care put into the Saturn aesthetic in the game itself. 

SUMO are very evidently huge fans, but they've also got licensing agreements to uphold, SEGA mandates to skirt around, and stuff to test with. For example; in Ristar's case, they said they tested him but due to the behind-the-car view it didn't look great due to RIstar's design. Hence he was made into a flagman to get him in there somewhere. Same goes for Panzer Dragoon's stage, where they passed everything by the original creator to ensure consistency with his vision, or Skies of Arcadia's track which had added content to the PC version as a shout-out to fans. Same goes for hiring fans to do some of the badge art for the game (as well as the graffiti on the JSR track), asking for fan opinions on DLC, constantly coming here to discuss dev processes and descision making, etc.  

ASRT is only a cash-grab in the sense it's made to make money, like every video game ever. But SUMO come from a place of love for SEGA, and that's evident even before they did ASRT (including the Daytona USA 2 and SCUD Race tracks in OutRun 2 Xbox, tracks that would've stayed arcade exclusive otherwise). 

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

It's marketed as a Sonic game to help sell. 

Well, I think that they could sell it better even without the Sonic stuff on the cover. Super Smash Brothers wasn't called "Mario and friends fighting" and look how well that did. Sega's franchises are beloved by many, and putting Sonic above them all is just... Insulting.

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Same goes for the amount of Sonic content - he's SEGA's mascot, of course he takes precedent. 

Okay, then why doesn't PlayStation all-stars have 10 versions of Sackboy? Why doesn't SSMB have 30 Mario characters? Simple, really. Sega doesn't give a shit. They've slapped these old mascots in just for cash.

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

There's still a combined total of other SEGA characters above the Sonic character total in ASRT. 

Funny how the combined total of characters from MULTIPLE game series is still barely bigger than the amount of characters from ONE game series. Actually, that's really sad.

4 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Well, I think that they could sell it better even without the Sonic stuff on the cover. Super Smash Brothers wasn't called "Mario and friends fighting" and look how well that did. Sega's franchises are beloved by many, and putting Sonic above them all is just... Insulting.

Nintendo's franchises are better known than SEGA's on the whole. That's the sad truth. JSR doesn't have the selling power of something like Zelda, and you're kidding yourself if you think it does.

And before you shout "ah, selling power! No soul!" - companies don't run on fan dreams, they run on money. Considering that, it's impressive how much they do with ASRT. ASRT is Sumo's balance between making a product to sell and a passion project. 

Okay, then why doesn't PlayStation all-stars have 10 versions of Sackboy? Why doesn't SSMB have 30 Mario characters? Simple, really. Sega doesn't give a shit. They've slapped these old mascots in just for cash.

Smash Bros does have a large amount of Mario characters compared to the rest of the cast. Furthermore these are different characters, not variants. If it were Sonic, Classic Sonic, Super Sonic, Darkspines Sonic and Sausage Roll Sonic, I'd agree. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nintendo's franchises are better known than SEGA's on the whole. That's the sad truth. JSR doesn't have the selling power of something like Zelda, and you're kidding yourself if you think it does.

But wasn't that the whole point of the game? To bring obscure franchises back in the spotlight and maybe do something with them, not "Put them in Sonic's shadow for the rest of eternity"?

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Smash Bros does have a large amount of Mario characters compared to the rest of the cast. Furthermore these are different characters, not variants. If it were Sonic, Classic Sonic, Super Sonic, Darkspines Sonic and Sausage Roll Sonic, I'd agree. 

Well, to be fair, Dr.Mario was added in SSB4, and before that we didn't really have that many recolors. 

Also, if SART was completely like SSB in it's roster, then we'd see Death Adder, Skate from Streets Of Rage and maybe even Flicky the bird return. Wouldn't that be awesome? 

7 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

But wasn't that the whole point of the game? To bring obscure franchises back in the spotlight and maybe do something with them, not "Put them in Sonic's shadow for the rest of eternity"?

Well, to be fair, Dr.Mario was added in SSB4, and before that we didn't really have that many recolors. 

Also, if SART was completely like SSB in it's roster, then we'd see Death Adder, Skate from Streets Of Rage and maybe even Flicky the bird return. Wouldn't that be awesome? 

If SART was like SSB in its roster, SUMO would need a bigger budget. Again, companies don't run on fan dreams. There's got to be a balance between being passionate and being practical. I adore the SEGA Saturn like nothing else, but I fully understand why Mania was marketed as a 'Mega Drive' title - because the Saturn sold like ass.

Also, like half of Melee's roster is clones. Dr Mario was introduced in that game.

If you want to believe that Sumo are some souless corporation out to exploit SEGA fans by

- hiring them to do artwork 

- putting a good amount of beloved SEGA characters in several games

- recreating various SEGA worlds from scratch in full HD

- constantly asking fans what they want to see and giving an insight into the development process

Just because Sonic, SEGA's poster boy, is the poster boy of the SEGA racer, then I don't know what to tell you at this point. 

Also: emphasis on beloved. Flicky isn't beloved. At least the Duck Hunt Dog had some form of memetic popularity going for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, the good old Sonic vs Sega war is back before we even know what is coming. Funnily enough, I could see the same argument happening with Sumo Digital and Sega in a smaller manner, only with Sega taking the Sonic side lol Due to some points though, I hold onto my prediction that we're not getting a direct ASR sequel and instead some sort of relaunched Racing series (10$ on Super Sonic Racing), but we'll have to wait and see which franchises that includes. I definitely see a larger Sonic focus happening this time, but I could be wrong.

Personally? I thought the roster from the first All-Stars Racing was balanced and large enough that both Sonic and Sega franchises got lots of representation (not counting the tracks here). Had they expanded the sequel with one/two more Sonic slots while also having more returning Sega veterans and newcomers, I don't see how either side could complain. However, the transformation aspect really impacted and limited the roster possibilities (and I say that as someone who loves the plane/boat gameplay), so in the end neither Sonic nor Sega fans were really happy.

Add SEGA to the mix, who clearly have no confidence in the market power of their old IPs, and as a result we get an Everybody's Racing type of game starring Danica, Ralph, Yogscast (though I kinda respect that one), Team Fortress and Banjo-Kazooie, instead of requested characters like Vectorman or Sonic character X. I really did not like the direction they were taking the series in.

While I'd be fine with a Sonic Kart, I still think building onto the roster of SASR would have been a better decision. Sonic-wise, there were like 7 more characters that'd usually appear in a Sonic-spinoff, and some of those could have been put into one character slot as newcomers in sequels. A Sonic-exclusive racer on the other hand would have 16~20 recurring characters, depending on who you count as recurring, and then get into the same roster fodder nonsense Mario Kart has been going through. Eggman Nega, Classic Sonic, Werehog Sonic, Classic Tails, Avatar-Bear, Avatar-Wolf, etc would only be the beginning before we eventually get Pink Gold Bitchy Tails. The question is of course, if Sega thinks a stand-alone Sonic spin off itself still has enough selling power, or if they would just throw in random guest stars either way.

I'd rather have the ASR series continue, but actually grow both the Sonic and Sega parts of the game instead of inserting Winnie the Pooh and Funky Kong. I doubt the Sonic vs Sega roster war would ever stop either way.

Just because Sonic, SEGA's poster boy, is the poster boy of the SEGA racer, then I don't know what to tell you at this point. 

But that kinda makes the whole "Bring the old Sega stuff back" thing completely pointless. These characters aren't getting their time to shine, and instead have to share 3 4ts of the spotlight with Sonic. Not to mention that SONIC IS the only thing people see when it comes to Sega as is, why do you have to make him prominent in the "Nostalgic return of old franchises thing"?

Honestly, Superstars on PS2 did it way better. That had ONE Sonic minigame and that's it. Everything else was Sega only.

4 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

However, the transformation aspect really impacted and limited the roster possibilities (and I say that as someone who loves the plane/boat gameplay), so in the end neither Sonic nor Sega fans were really happy.

Again, I don't get where you're getting the idea ASRT wasn't liked or popular from. 

To make it clear, the game is currently sat at nearly 1 million owners on PC alone, with 10/10 from the Steam reviews. And Steam reviews are usually a hellhole, so I feel like that says something. 

But that kinda makes the whole "Bring the old Sega stuff back" thing completely pointless. These characters aren't getting their time to shine, and instead have to share 3 4ts of the spotlight with Sonic. Not to mention that SONIC IS the only thing people see when it comes to Sega as is, why do you have to make him prominent in the "Nostalgic return of old franchises thing"?

Honestly, Superstars on PS2 did it way better. That had ONE Sonic minigame and that's it. Everything else was Sega only.

If the sheer sight of a Sonic character on-screen suddenly induces blindness that renders you unable to see or play as other SEGA characters, then it's time for a trip to Specsavers; cuz that sounds naff.

I'll just look at my beloved Hudson Hornet and Sonic simultaneously, in the meantime. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

If the sheer sight of a Sonic character on-screen suddenly induces blindness that renders you unable to see or play as other SEGA characters

It's less "Seeing a Sonic character" and more "Seeing nothing but Sonic and a few Sega characters".

Like, if they had one character for each game/10 characters for each game, then I wouldn't be loosing my marbles over it.

Honestly, they should just call it "Sonic Drift 4" and then write "Featuring the Sega Superstars" in the corner. That would be more honest.

36 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Like, if they had one character for each game/10 characters for each game, then I wouldn't be loosing my marbles over it.

You do know that some of those other SEGA franchises don't even have as many viable characters right?

Sometimes one from a franchise is all they've got anyway. It's not like Sonic and company even overshadowed the roster in all the other SEGA all-star games either. Sheesh. 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Again, let me know when you can convert your dreams into money that can actually be used to make games, because 10 characters per franchise is ridiculous. Or when Sonic isn't SEGA's poster boy, hence his majority.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Swing said:

It is called Sonic & All-Stars because it will sell more. It has nothing to do with that Sonic is the better series, it is because it is the only known IP from Sega. Even Sega, the company itself, are more unknown in the public than on of their own properties.

Also, it makes no sense to turn a crossover game into half of a Sonic game. Also, if you guys really, really, really want to have an only Sonic racing game just ask for another Riders. You already have your own racing series with a Sonic only cast! Why on earth do you want to destroy the All-Stars series into another generic Sonic game if you already have one! Just ask for that for crying out loud!

I mean, let's be honest here. You Sonic fans already made it clear, that the biggest priority is not to have a good, fun game, that represents the history of the Srga, no, you just want to play as Sonic's pals. And for that the Riders series already exist. Here you can play as Blaze, Silver, Vector, Rouge, Cream, maybe even Classic Sonic, Infinite, Mephiles, Tangle, Sticks ad other beloved if we get a 4th game. Here you can go and play as many Sonic characters as you want. And the best part is you will not vomit by playing a Riders game. Do you know why? Because this series has no disgusting Sega characters like Ulala, or Nights or Vyse or Billy Hatcher in it. Isn't that great? ISN'T IT? 

Okay now, even I think you're being a little too much... I want more SEGA characters just like you, but there's no need to treat the Sonic's characters like a disease or something :P

Let's remember the game wasn't even announced yet...

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh, whatever. I don't want this to turn into WW3: Internet Edition, so I'll end this here:

I don't give a crap about what Sega does at this point. Like, really, my suspension of disbelief has been blown apart the day SEGA slots was announced. Heck, even if they put that guy from the Saturn commercial into ASR, I still wouldn't care.

*Off topic*

I'd really like to see a Sega version of Kingdom hearts. Like, you know, the whole "Protagonist travels from world to world to defeat the great evil" thing.