Awoo.

What type of fanservice is next?

Swing

Well since Sega actually used the oc as one of the new selling points for one of their games, for me at least it is pretty much clear, that Sega is actually following fans online and try to find ways to please them. Actually, this wasn't actually the first time, they did this. According to what I have read on the internet Shadow the Hedgehog was created because a lot of little kids wanted to see Sonic with a gun and the same also with Black Knight, a lot of fans wanted to see Sonic swinging a sword. Well, since Sega is going this route what type of other Sonic fanserivce could be the next gimmick?

I actually have two in mind: The memes and the humanization.

Sonic is probably the videogame series who has created the most memes over the years and some of them are really popular even years later. The Sanic meme is so popular, that even Sega themselves are using it for their games, comics, twitter account and TV shows. Uganda Knuckles is also very popular right now. We can all agree that memes are one of the main reasons, Sonic is still alive and also keeps him alive. Because of that reason I think it is quit possible that the memes will be a new gameplay gimmick for a future Sonic game.

Also what could also be possible is the humanization of Sonic characters. All series who have anthropomorphic characters will get sooner or later a lot of fanarts were their are drawn as humans - usually in an anime like art style. After MLP:FIM Sonic seems to be the franchise, who has the most humanized drawn versions of its characters. I also could see this happening at some point in Sonic's lifespan. This would be actually kinda interesting for me to see, how Sega would handle humanized versions of Sonic and co. 

Anyway. What do you think. What fanserivce idea could be next?

Shadow with a gun, Sonic with a sword, and the Avatar actually lend themselves to gameplay concepts, which, short-sighted as those ideas turned out to be, IS the correct place to start with most game genres, platformers absolutely being one of them.

But memes, god no.  While the times that they're spot-on funny are worth it, even the Sonic social media only generally gets this right half the time.  The thing about memes as well is that they are funny for five minutes and they age fast (this is why Sanic kinda has felt forced for a long time and I really hope they're planning to mostly retire the "joke" now that it culiminated in appearing in an actual Sonic game).  You can't build a game around that, even like, literally games take years to make, and memes come and go within the space of days or weeks.

As for humanisation, I don't think it's really something people care about seeing in the games.  Drawing humanised Sonic characters is a fun artistic activity, but I can't really imagine any context that I'd enjoy it within a game, and I draw humanised Sonic characters about as often as I draw regular fanart of them.  This one is more likely, as the MLP example shows, but it seems like a thing better saved for comics or cartoons.  I don't think anyone really wants to play as a supersonic... human.  Like memes, it'd be funny for five minutes, but after that I'd rather play as Sonic - you know, that character with a physical design so generally appealing he's managed to stay relevant and well known for 25 years.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

The MLP example is applicable to MLP because the target audience of MLP is little girls, so a fashion doll line is perfectly complementary to the aims of the primary show. Would tween boys be so enamoured to a game with humanised Sonic characters? I kinda doubt it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Maker! Because SEGA always gotta try copying Nintendo and many fans already enjoy making 2D Sonic fan games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unhappy with Forces? Then SEGA Presents... Make your own Sonic game! Create the character you want to play as, the Sonic era it's set in, your own style from a list of possible gameplays (classic, adventure, boost, "Uganda" mode). If your game ends up sucking, remember: you are the one who made it!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Most humanized versions of the characters are atrocious to the eyes, except for a very few characters. I would puke if that happens.

---

56 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Momentum Physics.

We can always dream...

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Shadow with a gun, Sonic with a sword, and the Avatar actually lend themselves to gameplay concepts, which, short-sighted as those ideas turned out to be, IS the correct place to start with most game genres, platformers absolutely being one of them.

But memes, god no.  While the times that they're spot-on funny are worth it, even the Sonic social media only generally gets this right half the time.  The thing about memes as well is that they are funny for five minutes and they age fast (this is why Sanic kinda has felt forced for a long time and I really hope they're planning to mostly retire the "joke" now that it culiminated in appearing in an actual Sonic game).  You can't build a game around that, even like, literally games take years to make, and memes come and go within the space of days or weeks.

As for humanisation, I don't think it's really something people care about seeing in the games.  Drawing humanised Sonic characters is a fun artistic activity, but I can't really imagine any context that I'd enjoy it within a game, and I draw humanised Sonic characters about as often as I draw regular fanart of them.  This one is more likely, as the MLP example shows, but it seems like a thing better saved for comics or cartoons.  I don't think anyone really wants to play as a supersonic... human.  Like memes, it'd be funny for five minutes, but after that I'd rather play as Sonic - you know, that character with a physical design so generally appealing he's managed to stay relevant and well known for 25 years.

25 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

The MLP example is applicable to MLP because the target audience of MLP is little girls, so a fashion doll line is perfectly complementary to the aims of the primary show. Would tween boys be so enamoured to a game with humanised Sonic characters? I kinda doubt it. 

It's worth noting that the reason Equestria Girls works is a. Monster High was a thing Hasbro wanted to capitalize on, b. Meghan McCarthy found an interesting way to tie it in with the main universe and the Sunset Shimmer toys, and c. the gap between ponies and humanoids is wide enough that it comes with possibilities for inventive redesigns and different kinesthetics.

1 hour ago, Swing said:

Also what could also be possible is the humanization of Sonic characters. All series who have anthropomorphic characters will get sooner or later a lot of fanarts were their are drawn as humans - usually in an anime like art style. After MLP:FIM Sonic seems to be the franchise, who has the most humanized drawn versions of its characters. I also could see this happening at some point in Sonic's lifespan. This would be actually kinda interesting for me to see, how Sega would handle humanized versions of Sonic and co. 

Anyway. What do you think. What fanserivce idea could be next?

For what it's worth, SEGA's already made at least 2 official human Sonics.

eLJfNCv.png

This one was by Yuji Uekawa, for Tokyo Game Show 2005's poster.

ETR1DFo.png

This one (including Tails, who's a girl now apparently) was by KEI, for the SEGA Hard Girls series. KEI is better known as the designer of Hatsune Miku. This one appears more prominently in the SEGA Hard Girls light novel; which I actually own and should probably scan in the artwork from at some point.

There's a couple of others too, but these are the ones from SEGA JP. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Human Sonic can work if he still resembles Sonic a lot and keeps his powers or something. No need to change the setting that much.

It's simple really; Sonic Generations Remastered: Green Hill Zone Edition for the Xbox One and PS4. Now with 9001% more of what you love... Green Hill Zone! INstead of traveling through all of Sonic's past, now you only go through the part that matters, featuring 18 levels, 90 missions, and 8 boss fights all taking place in the hills of green. Pre-Order now and get Super Sonic for free, otherwise pay $2.99 at launch...

• Chuckle 1

They already did memes in Mania. Those went over well. I guess Adventure fan pandering is next. Or they do a game without gratuitous fanservice again and nobody likes it.  (See Lost world) 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

I guess Adventure fan pandering is next. 

That is definitely the way to go. It's been roughly 20 years since Adventure 1 after all.

And there actually has been demand for it.

personally, i'd love a play, create, share sonic game.

2D, 3D, 2.5D, doesn't matter. just let us go creatively fast.

loved creating stuff in littlebigplanet, loved creating courses in mario maker, and i'd undoubtedly love unleashing my creativity onto my favorite franchise.

Well, it probably will be more memes and classic. Come on, we all know that any other kind of fanservice will trigger everyone, because "OW THE EDGE IS REFERNCED?! GAME IS BAD!"

Not to mention that Sonic nowadays is nothing but nostalgia references and meta jokes, so I guess that this is the ideal fanservice for that.

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Or they do a game without gratuitous fanservice again and nobody likes it.  (See Lost world) 

Well, Lost Word technically had badniks for the classic fans, and bootleg koopalings for the Nintendo crowd, so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Well, it probably will be more memes and classic. Come on, we all know that any other kind of fanservice will trigger everyone, because "OW THE EDGE IS REFERNCED?! GAME IS BAD!"

Not to mention that Sonic nowadays is nothing but nostalgia references and meta jokes, so I guess that this is the ideal fanservice for that.

Well, Lost Word technically had badniks for the classic fans, and bootleg koopalings for the Nintendo crowd, so yeah.

SLW’s fanservice didn't Feel as excessive, and had plenty of inventive and experimental concepts. Such as the pastel artwork, gimmick stages, etc. 

Just now, Miragnarok said:

SLW’s fanservice didn't Feel as excessive, and had plenty of inventive and experimental concepts. Such as the pastel artwork, gimmick stages, etc. 

It's a shame that it was fanservicing the Nintendo crowd with all of the aforementioned stuff. Like, really, SLW feels like a scrapped Maro/Sonic crossover. 

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I guess Adventure fan pandering is next.

I think Forces was meant to be for Adventure fans, at least story wise. Serious tone, classic villains etc. They failed at it, but that's different story.

They also added Green Hills, Classic Sonic and Avatar, and that's yet another story.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I think Forces was meant to be for Adventure fans, at least story wise. Serious tone, classic villains etc. They failed at it, but that's different story.

They also added Green Hills, Classic Sonic and Avatar, and that's yet another story.

Because Forces tried to appeal to everyone, which is impossible, that's why it failed with fans.

Adventure fans: serious story, edgy villain, vocal tracks

Classic fans: returning zones, Classic Sonic

Kids and teens: Avatar

Fans of good games: ???

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

2 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Fans of good games: ???

Fans of good games: whatever appealed to the Sonic Forces Defense Squad.

As for how Sega/Sonic Team will desperately try to please fans next, I won't be surprised if its just classic Sonic again. You know, like that other gimmick Iizuka said would be a one-time thing before he changed his mind.

May I question why "fanservice" has to be a derogatory thing now? Or why apparently anything SEGA does (besides openly bringing back old zones, of course) is just pandering?

8 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Badniks in and of themselves aren't really nostalgia pandering, I don't think.

And I'm pretty sure people were wanting them back anyway because they provided variety. They were in Colors without any incident alongside Egg Pawns, after all. 

As for the Deadly Six, yeah, they probably could've made them seem less like the Koopalings. It is worth noting that they were apparently meant to be oni/demons though.

1 hour ago, Dizcrybe said:

Fans of good games: whatever appealed to the Sonic Forces Defense Squad.

As for how Sega/Sonic Team will desperately try to please fans next, I won't be surprised if its just classic Sonic again. You know, like that other gimmick Iizuka said would be a one-time thing before he changed his mind.

I do think they got the message that people are sick of Modern & Classic crossovers, so I think Classic Sonic will be only in future Mania titles.

34 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Games focused on the other characters?

I wish, I don't think it would sell because Sonic is the big name character and icon, but maybe as a spin-off?

Look, Sega goes with tentatives, what works and what doesn't.

Sonic 06: everything was a flop, let's scrap the alternate gameplays like Shadow, Silver, and the friends that people criticized.

Unleashed: let's keep the boost formula which is successful. The werehog? Scrapped.

Colors: successful game, wisps and boost return in future titles.

Sonic 4: people wanted Classic Sonic and the classic style? Let's make...

Generations: boost formula and Classic Sonic have been done, it was successful so let's try something different...

Lost World: a flop, let's go back to Generations and Colors classic and modern gameplay, oh and the wisps...

(Now starts my speculation)

Mania: successful game, let's make more classic games with multiple playable characters and a bigger budget. Bring the Mania team for main games perhaps.

Forces: divisive game but sold well, let's scrap what flopped: boost formula, classic and modern crossover; let's keep successful things: vocal tracks, Infinite and the story tone, the Avatar (maybe as a spin-off). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Sonic 06: everything was a flop, let's scrap the alternate gameplays like Shadow, Silver, and the friends that people criticized.

They did bring back Shadow, so maybe there's hope of the other characters being playable again.