Awoo.

Sonic Lost World vs. Sonic Forces

Blueknight V2.0

I've been trying to compare Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces, both on PC, so far I haven't really gotten very far because I haven't played either one. I want to play both, but can't decide which  one to get first. So if anyone out there who has the same problem, here is a quick comparison between the 2 games on PC, some of these are my reasons to get.

1. Boosting - Sonic Forces contains boosting for Modern and Super Sonic, Shadow, Tag Team stages as well as the final boss.

Sonic Lost World runs  on Hedgehog Engine from Generations, but loses the boosting, instead using an upgraded spin dash.

2. Characters (Playable and Non-Playable) - Sonic Forces has the most characters out of both games, having almost all of the characters from Generations (minus Blaze and some others). Forces also has 4 playable characters Modern/ Classic Sonic (includes Super forms), custom avatar and (my deciding factor) Shadow, who has not been playable on consoles since 2006 and Black Knight). Infinite also serves as a better villian than the Zeti, now Eggman is still the main villain in charge.

Sonic Lost World, on the other hand only has Sonic playable along with his super form. As for NPC's there is only Amy, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman Orbot and Cubot along with the Zeti.

3. Story - Both games have equally more serious stories than most other Sonic games. Lost World might've pushed it too much, while Forces felt just right especially with it's more experienced voice cast from Sonic Boom, infinite's voice also matches the character perfectly. In Forces the voices are spot on, even for Shadow, as opposed to Lost World,  Generations even Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric (Shadow's only in Boom season 1 and RoL and SC).

4. Level Length and Layout - Now most levels in Forces are more notably shorter than Generations or Unleashed, especially Modern Sonic and Shadow's stages. Custom Avatar and Classic Sonic's have more length to them,. Lost Worlds levels were noticibly longer than Generations and Forces, but didn't rely on boosting instead on parkour and Wisp power-ups. Now Lost World's tubular levels are a little more tricky to navigate but do carry over to Sonic Forces in Boss fights like Infinte round 1.

5. Wisps - Lost World is kind of like a copy of Colors, with the use of Wisps temporary abilities. Forces lost this for Modern Sonic and Shadow (as they can only use the White Wisp for boost), while the custom character can use the Wisps regular abilities in addition to the Wispons upgraded Wisp abilities.

Now I can go on forever on comparison's but I can't, now another thing I like in Forces is the World Map as well as the in-game dialogue from the characters. As for music, Sonic Forces wins that round as it is full of remixes and new pieces. If I missed anything let me know, also be sure to post which one you think is better.

Gameplay: Well, overall, I think Forces is better in that regard. At least it doesn't throw stupid Chibi-Robo-esque puzzles at you every stage. Not to mention that the Avantar and Classic, although not perfect, are WAY BETTER than the parkour and snowball mechanics. Also, at least there's no run button in Forces, so that's a point for SF.

Levels: Well, Forces and Lost World suffer the same problem: The level design is awful. Lost World has these long, winding Mario-Esque levels, while Forces has shrot straight lines. No points for any game.

Story: Well, I wouldn't say that Forces' story is AMAZING, but it's way better than Lost World's story. At least Forces had a consistent tone, while Lost World hopped from "Saturday Morning Cartoon" to "Serious Dilemmas", while looking like a Tellytubbies game. Another point for Forces.

Music: To be fair, Lost World has a few catchy tracks, but they're quickly overshadowed by the stock platformer music that is in 80% of the game. Forces has a lot more energy and "Sonic" to it in my opinion. Point for both. 

So, if it's not obvious already, I prefer Forces over SLW. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Lost World is way more creative and just a better direction overall. The stages in both games are actually pretty similar in length, but Lost World makes better use of it's stage size by literally having Sonic be slower. I'm honestly kind of shocked that the game was criticized for that, since it's the thing that holds the boost games back the most and it's still faster than 90% of every other non-Sonic platformer. The stages throw a lot of new stuff whenever they come at you, and I'm not gonna be the first to say not all of it is good, but I think it shows a lot more initiative on the part of the devs that they're willing to push the bill with new mechanics. I just wish the game had more levels in-between to make it feel more focused overall. Like, say we got a LW remaster that added in a bunch of extra levels per-zone that were inspired by the 3DS version's stages (I say inspired by because the 3DS stages themselves are the actual worst in the history of the franchise bar-none). That would make it reflect a lot better overall because you'd get more stages that are just Sonic running around doing Sonic things. The honest worst problem with them is just that they neglect to explain themselves. The level design encourages experimentation with Sonic's abilities and the stage gimmicks but the gameplay design itself doesn't, with all of the lives shenanigans and a total lack of any tutorials to just give you some clarity on what buttons actually do what.

The run button and parkour mechanics themselves are...weird, not fully realized for sure, but I don't feel they limit Sonic, so much as their execution needs to fall back in line with the rest of the series. In Forces...well, he controls alright when things aren't moving too fast, and other than the turns in metropolis he's not that bad when at full speed either. It's just painfully obvious that they gave him an automatic run toggle that just activates after jogging a certain amount of time, which makes transitioning between the two the problem. Ideally if you wanted good SLW-style control you'd have an option to either have a run button that literally just unlocks Sonic's full acceleration potential (rather than simply giving him two distinct speeds that the run button switches between) or to toggle it to be on all the time. It'd be the right blend between Sonic veteran control and something more accessible to newbies. I legitimately believe that a ton of problems with video games would be solved just by giving players really dense options menus. Anyhoo, Forces' gameplay is basically no different from the other boost games otherwise, other than not having the drift, and that's perfectly fine. It just needs longer levels.

Lost World's soundtrack is a lot better. I honestly cannot relate to anyone who thinks it's anything short of wonderful. Forces' soundtrack isn't bad or anything, but there's so much less variety. You know exactly what to expect from tracks simply depending on the character, and it never changes. If the tracks changed with the level theme like they -sort of- do in Lost World, then the experience would feel less samey throughout the journey. They're good enough individually -- but as a whole it suffers from it's character-specific constraints. That's also ignoring the fact that Lost World would sometimes just surprise you with a new level theme (and music track to go along with it) in the middle of a completely different setting. It's weird as shit but it keeps you on your toes.

Storywise, I dunno. They're always pretty weak. I think Lost World when it tries shows off the best of Pontaff's comedic side, but overall it just has so much more dumb bullshit like Tails' entire...whatever he had. I'm not calling it a character arc. He sucks in Forces too, but at least they don't try to act like it matters there. I'd say Sonic himself is way better characterized in Forces as well. He's just a snarky asshole who isn't taking this much seriously than we are, and that's exactly the way it should be...at least in cutscenes. The cheesy "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" stuff I could do without, but Sonic and cheese are pretty much interlocked at this point so I can't say I'm all that bummed. Forces also at least gives some more dialogue to the other characters than Lost World's "AMY AND KNUCKLES ARE ALSO HERE". Not much, but better. Though I'd much rather Lost World have been about Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy travelling to Lost Hex together and each of them (plus Eggman) getting their own dynamics with each member of the Deadly six. Even if you didn't play as anyone but Sonic, seeing Knuckles, Tails, Amy and Eggman each get a little cutscene showing them beating whichever member of the D6 they bounced off of would be nice (of course, Sonic still takes down two of them, but whatever).

So basically Lost World wins. I like Forces too but Lost World, flaws and all, at least felt like it was trying to be different if you divorce it from it's level themes and plot, which as far as I'm concerned don't necessarily represent the developer's ideas about the game design. Forces is prettier though, I'll give it that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly both games are great and a ton of fun though Lost World handles very differently to any other main line Sonic game. Forces is a shorter experience (story wise anyway),Lost world is way more vibrant and colourful. Lost Word will last you longer too.

I agree that Lost World is better, it's longer, more polished, more fun to play, more colorful and vibrant, less automated, with better bosses, although too easy at times.

My only gripes with Lost World is that it plays too different from how a Sonic game should be, and I'm not a fan of the graphical style, too simple, I prefer the balanced one in Forces, and of course, it's too slow.

Although your analysis falls a bit flat because you haven't played either game, Bluestreak.

• Thumbs Up 3

Without comparing the way they play, Lost World has less automation, last longer, and has actual level design.

With comparing, I would've taken Lost World anyway because it's not the boost.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Although your analysis falls a bit flat because you haven't played either game, Bluestreak.

Well, I'm just going by what I've seen from the 2 games, the closest I came to playing Lost World is the 3DS version, but I would still prefer the PC version over the 3DS for obvious reasons like better graphics. Now I know the 3DS version doesn't run on Hedgehog Engine, but it should run and operate similar to the PC version with each their own differences. But the 3DS version is one of the better handheld games, but inferior to the PC version. However, the final boss in both versions of Lost World still stay true to running style bosses in the Sonic games.

Also another thing, what is the HDD space requirements for the PC versions of both games? I seen Lost World taking about 8GB, while Forces with DLC included would take about 16GB, now I don't know if that is just an estimate by Steam or if that's the actual space required and would these 2 games work on a Windows 10 laptop with Rock Candy Xbox 360 wired controller.

I was never fond of Lost World, since it's initial reveal, be it the graphic style, the overall bland and generic music (aside from some tracks) and the gameplay, nothing really attracted my attention, until one day a friend of mine gifted it to me on Steam, then i went to play it to see if my predictions were right, aand for the most part they were, Forces on the other hand, while it was a big let down on some aspects, i still managed to have more fun with it than i had with Lost World, plus all the problems i listed in the fist line are not in Forces. So, while Lost World is technically a better game, i had a lot more fun with Forces, even with it's flaws.

• Nice Smile 1

I've got the biggest soft-spot for Lost World. While I don't think it's a great title by any means, I appreciate what it was trying to do.

Now, I had fun with Forces, but there was nothing in that game that ever made me think the designers were being clever, creative, or having fun. The whole thing seems like it was made just because they HAD to make it.  I had fun, but in any case, it's a mighty huge step down from Generations, Colors and Unleashed. Lost World, to me, was at least ambitious and experimental, which hasn't always worked out with Sonic's career, but there was a semblance of care put into it. Forces is a horribly lazy game of re-packaged assets and gameplay ideas under the guise of something new. The avatar, the only new thing, was horribly shallow and had less options than an online Sonic OC creator game.

• Thumbs Up 1

They are both mediocre games with serious flaws (some shared, some separate); but Lost World is to me a noticeable few steps ahead as the better game; because it at least feels like a complete product in its content and design, despite its scattershot focus and half-baked execution. Forces feels like an junkyard project that was fudged together into a shippable game as quickly as possible to reach a production deadline, despite being in development for a longer period of time.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought both were very underwhelming. If I were to pick which was better, it would probably be Sonic Forces, for it had better replay value.

I hated the sluggish  controls and physics for both games. I thought the visuals for Lost World were terrible and lacked detail, andI thought both games portrayed Tails poorly.

While both games had weak stories, I can at least say Forces had more entertaining cutscenes. 

I kind of liked what Lost World was trying to do with it’s parkour system, but I feel it was poorly done. If Sonic is running up a wall, he should be able to do it swiftly, not slowly with a magical glitter effect surrounding him. You’d think a Sonic game would know that parkour stunts are supposed to be fast paced, yet they didn’t do much to give the parkour a flare suitable for a Sonic game.

The Deadly Six were very annoying as well, I hated how their repetitive boss fight were forced into levels, instead of seperate stages, or not included at all. They were some of the worst bosses in Sonic history, and their constant chattering throughout levels got really old.

The wisps were very pointless in Lost World. I thought they were well executed in Colors, yet did nothing effective in Lost World. Even Forces did something more productive with them, like making the white wisps Sonic’s boost fuel, and having color wisps as power ups for the Avatar’s weapons.

However, Lost World does have it’s moments, I actually liked the Windy Hill stages, I liked some of the cutscenes, (too bad there was no cutscene replay mode...) and I loved the grinding stages (that music was amazing!) I also thought Lost World had better music variety, I loved the orchestrations for that game, while Forces had too much reliance on synthesized sounds, which personally held the music back in my opinion. Plus the DLC stages for Nights, Yoshi, and Zelda were fun for one play through.

While I personally admit Forces wasn’t as bad as Lost World, this doesn’t mean I think Forces was a good game. I still think Forces is a very mixed game, with more flaws than strengths.

• Nice Smile 1

I haven’t played Forces yet (nor do I plan to) and it’s been a long while since I played Lost World, but from the looks of it, I think I’d like Lost World more. Forces to me looks like a poor man’s version of Generations with a poorly-made story that almost makes me wish they went back with Pontaff’s style of writing, really awful controls (which I actually experienced myself since i did play the demo), crap “level design”, and that lame avatar gimmick. Lost World isn’t particularly good and I don’t see myself playing through it again, but atleast it was nicely polished, had some level design, and controlled okay for the most part.

This might change if I do end up playing Forces, but I honestly doubt it.

On 2/3/2018 at 8:32 AM, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Well, I'm just going by what I've seen from the 2 games, the closest I came to playing Lost World is the 3DS version, but I would still prefer the PC version over the 3DS for obvious reasons like better graphics. Now I know the 3DS version doesn't run on Hedgehog Engine, but it should run and operate similar to the PC version with each their own differences. But the 3DS version is one of the better handheld games, but inferior to the PC version. However, the final boss in both versions of Lost World still stay true to running style bosses in the Sonic games.

Also another thing, what is the HDD space requirements for the PC versions of both games? I seen Lost World taking about 8GB, while Forces with DLC included would take about 16GB, now I don't know if that is just an estimate by Steam or if that's the actual space required and would these 2 games work on a Windows 10 laptop with Rock Candy Xbox 360 wired controller.

I'm fairly certain the file sizes are accurate, and both Generations and All-Stars Racing Transformed worked fine with my wired controller, so I'd expect Lost World and Forces to be the same. However, since you haven't listed your laptop's specs, I can only guess that the games can run on your laptop, but it may come at the cost of poor performance if it's not powerful enough to handle it; the games' Steam Pages should list the recommended requirements (Forces is recent so it'll probably be more demanding than Lost World; but if they're like the PC versions of Generations, there might be options to reduce graphical quality if performance is really an issue). 

Lost work easily beats out Forces for me. Lost World is far from a great game but at least there was effort put into the gameplay and some creativity.  Forces is just Generations trying to emulate the adventure games darker tone which I've always loathed.

I'm still going to stay by my opinion of Forces being better than Lost World to me, both WiiU/PC and 3DS versions.

Gameplay-wise both games weren't that good, controlling the characters was somewhat of a pain in both games, but I find Lost World's control scheme of "hold button to run" really stupid and too convoluted for Sonic's mentality of "simpler" controls. Not only that, the parkour system and other one-off gimmicks (looking at you, Snowball Sonic) are jankier than the Avatar gameplay or to Classic Sonic (even though that one was janky as well). Levels-wise both games are bad, and I can't pick the levels that I prefer (outside of maybe Mortar Canyon, that was closest to the actual "ok" level design. Too bad it's really short)

Art-style in Lost World is too Mario-esque for my tastes. It's very bland, plain and too simplistic. Because of that, the graphical fidelity was also... barely there, meanwhile Forces has its moments of beauty (space portion of Egg Gate and Metropolis are probably the main examples).

Story-wise Lost World was just an empty air to me - uninteresting, tonally unbalanced, not entertaining, the jokes aren't funny at all, the characteristics for characters are just...not good. At least in Forces Sonic felt like, well, Sonic. At least I wanted to follow the story of Forces and, while still not good, at least was somewhat entertaining to me in terms of writing and cutscenes.

Music-wise, while not bad, Lost World was forgettable to me with the orchestrated pieces compared to Forces' more EDM-directed OST. Though I do have somewhat of a bias towards EDM music, so it's very subjective to me. Yeah, Classic tracks aren't great for the most part and Modern's tracks have overused synths, but the melodies are still more memorable to me in this game compared to Lost World's OST.

And overall I had more fun with Forces than Lost World, even though it's arguably the worst in the "Boost Era" games. Soooo yeah, my vote goes to Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1