Awoo.

The misconception that Sonic is killed in ‘06.

Gotta Go Rational

Hey folks. Shortly after Sonic 06’s release, I admit that I was swept up in the community’s commonly held belief that Mephiles supposedly kills Sonic in Sonic ’06. But looking back at the game more recently, I’m honestly not sure why a lot of us didn’t seem to pay much attention to Elise saying “I don’t think he’s dead yet!” which is the catalyst for their attempt to heal him with the Emeralds before he actually does die. To this day that line remains largely unacknowledged and I still see people repeating their belief that he’s been killed at that point. I know a solid beam through the chest would likely be swiftly fatal in real life, but Sonic be far from real life.  Is it just the “factoid” effect where it’s been repeated so often since release that it’s just assumed to be true? Is the notion of Sonic being dead more dramatic than the notion of him being merely close to dying, and so we’ve stuck to what sounds more sensational? Not sure myself, but curious to know your thoughts. :)

I don't think it really matters. They specifically needed the Chaos Emeralds(and apparently some of Elise's leftover power) to revive him.

The point is still that Mephiles got definitely closer to killing Sonic than even Eggman in Adventure 2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

After that game, Sonic the Hedgehog franchise was dead. There, I made that lame joke. Now no one else has to do it.

Besides that, what DaBig said.Still better than dumb fake-out in RIse of Lyric.

I would interpret the "I don't think he's dead yet!" line as more referring to... well, permanent death, which is not quite so straightforward a matter in fantasy.  His soul still lingers.  He's not gone for good.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, superman43 said:

I think that the very same thing happened in Sonic Generations, but it was way less toned, maybe due to ´06.

I'm pretty sure it's just implied that Sonic was just briefly knocked unconcious by the Time Eater there.

Just now, JezMM said:

I'm pretty sure it's just implied that Sonic was just briefly knocked unconcious by the Time Eater there.

Might be, but almost the whole process was similar, albeit in 06 Elise made him super and in Generations friends made both Sonics super.

Though, I admit it. He was close to being utterly dead in 06, being knocked unconcious heavily in Generations and being knocked just slightly more than Eggman did in Generations (before the Warping Arm squishing) with Infinite and the replicas in Forces.

Being knocked out I don’t think is in anyway similar to being impaled by a laser to the chest, but to each their own I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 3

He was stabbed in the chest by a laser crystal thing. Of course he's dead. The whole "I think Sonic's not dead" thing is a translation error, and originally was "Sonic's spirit is still alive" or something like that. 

6 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

He was stabbed in the chest by a laser crystal thing. Of course he's dead. The whole "I think Sonic's not dead" thing is a translation error, and originally was "Sonic's spirit is still alive" or something like that. 

"I feel Sonic´s wind"... then it´s mentioned that his soul is nearby. So yes he is dead. 

I mean.

Not to be hopelessly mean sounding.

But 12 years later is a bit late to correct a misconception (that is really just a different interpretation of dialog badly written to begin with) in a minor part of a scene that no one remembers compared to the part that they do remember.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting answers, thanks guys!

You're not being hopelessly mean at all, Tornado. :) But I'm not a representative for the Sonic franchise. It's not my duty to correct anything, so I don't consider it "a bit late" because this is a forum where as far as I know any aspect of the Sonic franchise can be raised anytime by fans, with no cut off point where it's considered inappropriate or too late to bring an aspect of it up.

To me, it's not relevant how few people remember that part of the scene, it still happened just as much as the part people do remember, it doesn't make its occurrence any less true, and is especially interesting when one part seems to contradict the other. I didn't know there was an established consensus that "I don't think he's dead yet" was widely considered to be a badly written or mistranslated line before this topic. That was the point of this, to see how some of us reconcile that line with the often held contradictory assertion that Sonic died. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, FFWF said:

I would interpret the "I don't think he's dead yet!" line as more referring to... well, permanent death, which is not quite so straightforward a matter in fantasy.  His soul still lingers.  He's not gone for good.

In the Japanese version, Elise says "He isn't gone yet...!" Which makes more sense with his soul still lingering.

• Thumbs Up 1