Awoo.

Ask for opinion about a new player for Sonic 3D games

Tailsrules

Hi^^ I am an old fan of Sonic that has enjoyed all (almost all) the 2D games. I'd like to try something in 3D, but watching some video of gameplay is making me think that I could find particularly hard play it for too much speed that in a 3D world seems to be a bit hard to control. What do you think? Would you like to give me a tip about Sonic Forces? It looks awesome!

Thanks!

maxresdefault-1503596679542_1280w.jpg

By asking about if you should play Sonic Forces, you're opening the way for people to complain about why you shouldn't.

Despite your concerns, Sonic in a 3D space isn't so bad! It's designed in a way that it looks fast, but you can still play it just fine! Plus, compared to other 3D Sonic games, Sonic Forces is very forgiving.

• Thumbs Up 5

Forces, dare I say is actually a good way to start just to get the hang of the controls.

It's linear and does script you down pathways a lot of the time, which is a bummer for many, but as a person that needs to get used to the 3D stuff, I say it's the perfect jumping off point. It holds your hand most of the way through and as Polk said, very forgiving. There's not even a lives system.

After Forces, you can get to the more open and difficult games, like Generations and Unleashed. Unleashed especially can be quite the test of your skills so do that last.

Yeah, I'm not counting Colors, but that's because I'm assuming you wanna play HD games, so consider the 3 3D boost games in the sense of a difficulty tier.

Forces - Easy

Generations - Medium

Unleashed - Hard

• Thumbs Up 8

First, play Sonic 3D Blast. I know it's not 3D, but you should try to start somewhere. 

Then, well, probably either Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2 to get the 3D thing. (Although, if you don't like the tone, then I'd recommend you skip them)

Next, obviously Sonic Heroes, although it can be bullshit at some parts, but it's still generally ok.

Considering that you're in THAT category of the Classic fans, I'd recommend you skip Shadow, Riders, Sonic Next Gen and Sonic and The Secret Rings/Black Knight, because "UUU 2 EDGE, WHER ARE JOKE?" (Although, you can still check them out, heck, maybe you'll enjoy them just like I do), and just straight up play Unleashed... PS2/Wii. The main ones are way too hard, and the werehog sections are longer. 

Next, Sonic Generations. Colors has the shitty wisp gimmick, which kills the speed, while Generations is generally ok. Not to mention that it plays the closest to Unleashed. Also, Colors is a Wii exclusive, while Generations can be played anywhere.

And, in the end, we have Forces. It's the same as generations, exept the level design is worse and you can make your fan character Bonic the Hedgehog a reality. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah talking about the "boost trilogy", the easiest way to "get used" to the formula is starting with Forces, then Generations, then Unleashed (basically from the worst game to the best...). Now  about other 3D games, i really like the two Adventure games (yeah even the non speed based platforming ones like Knuckles and Tails's gameplays) so i say give them a try, Adventure 2 was my first 3D Sonic after years of 3&K and Sonic 1, and it did not let me down.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I think it should be noted that Sonic Team has this weird issue of changing up the formula for 3D titles every two to three games. So, opinions and basic mechanics change, along with tone of the titles and the quality of stories.

It'd be hard to honestly recommend any games because of this reason. I can give you my preferences, but my tastes may be highly different (and restricted) than yours. For instance, you may love Sonic Colors and Generations, while I just don't. I love the Adventure titles, while Jimmy thinks it's hot garbage. We're a really divided lot due to Sonic Team constantly changing the way they handle things. And if they settle one one style, now, they're likely to anger 2/3 of a fanbase -- whether this is worth the risk or not, I have no idea.

As for Sonic Forces, I pretty clueless. I imagine it plays like the other boost titles, but I haven't touched it myself. Which means, it's just fast-fast-fast with a couple times move to the side, you need to jump, do a homing locked chain jump and a bunch of 2D moments where it's more blocky Mario-type platforming. Even more so in Forces than even Generations, which 2/3 of that game was 2D. 3/4s here? Anyway, Forces may not be the best example of how the series will be handled in the future. Or maybe it will. I dunno. Sonic Team is weird. I kinda thought Lost World was going to be a bit of how they were going to handle the series in game mechanics, with alterations but y'know. Sonic Team.

Speaking of which, if you're looking at playing on the PC or Nintendo Switch, Lost World may be better for you if you're just trying to get used to handling a fast character in a 3D space. He's significantly slower there.

Although, I personally find the Adventure titles (1 and 2) extremely easy. Adventure 1 has "adventure fields" that allow you to control the characters without going to any level.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Forces is probably the easiest 3D game in the series, if not the easiest game in the series, which I guess makes it a good place to start for beginners.

From there, I'd go to Generations, which is more intricate with its 3D levels and a bit harder.

Unleashed I'm reluctant to recommend. Not only is it the fastest of the boost games, but it requires sharp reflexes if you wish to avoid dying, and Sonic's traction is next to non-existent. Plus you have to deal with the Werehog at night.

Optional:

Colors. It's probably the slowest of the boost games, so it shouldn't be that hard to get a handle on it, but most of the game is in 2D and you may or may not find the WIsps enjoyable.

Sonic Adventure 1. Sonic isn't exceptionally fast here and aside from a few moments, you have absolute control over Sonic's movement. Supposedly, all the ports are terrible, though, and you may find yourself having less and less fun after you finish Tails' story. Plus, the game itself is pretty dated.

As for Lost World, while it is true that Sonic is slower there, suggesting easy handling, the Parkour system isn't very intuitive, the level design can range pretty good to downright terrible, and the level concepts are just completely out of left field at times. This ain't a game for beginners. I suggest you skip it.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

First, play Sonic 3D Blast. I know it's not 3D, but you should try to start somewhere.

Then, well, probably either Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2 to get the 3D thing. (Although, if you don't like the tone, then I'd recommend you skip them)

Next, obviously Sonic Heroes, although it can be bullshit at some parts, but it's still generally ok.

Considering that you're in THAT category of the Classic fans, I'd recommend you skip Shadow, Riders, Sonic Next Gen and Sonic and The Secret Rings/Black Knight, because "UUU 2 EDGE, WHER ARE JOKE?" (Although, you can still check them out, heck, maybe you'll enjoy them just like I do), and just straight up play Unleashed... PS2/Wii. The main ones are way too hard, and the werehog sections are longer. 

Next, Sonic Generations. Colors has the shitty wisp gimmick, which kills the speed, while Generations is generally ok. Not to mention that it plays the closest to Unleashed. Also, Colors is a Wii exclusive, while Generations can be played anywhere.

And, in the end, we have Forces. It's the same as generations, exept the level design is worse and you can make your fan character Bonic the Hedgehog a reality. 

Good lord no, don't do 3D Blast! That game just about scared me away from the fandom in the late '90s. The isowhatever gameplay physically gave me headaches, there was no save feature anymore, and Sonic was the only playable character!

Sonic Adventure costs $3.99 in the playstation store. That's less than a combo meal at a fast food restaurant. Just eat a peanut butter sandwich instead of McDonalds one night, and it's like you got the game for free. Try it out like I did. If you enjoyed the 2D games, try to see it as a conclusion to Knuckles's story arc.

I had earlier bought Sonic Generations for zone nostalgia. It's pretty fun to re-experience Green Hill, Chemical Plant, and Sky Sanctuary in an updated light--and it gave me a medium-difficulty taste of boost gameplay. I've also tried Sonic Heroes because I love playing all those characters, but the gameplay takes getting used tk and I haven't finished it yet.

Bottomless pits stink, of course. A lot of 3D Sonic games make me as nervous as Wing Fortress Zone, if you know what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite being ridiculously easy to S rank in the first half, Generations is also fine to play even without boost. But as you don´t have any upgrades in the beginning, there is a high chance you will have to boost in 2D sections.

3 minutes ago, Tailsrules said:

May I play Forces at hard  difficulty?

Not much changes in hard, so I say you're okay with it.

What changes is that you can collect 999 rings but once you're hit, you lose them all. While in normal, you can collect a max of up to 100 rings at a time, and when you're hit, you only lose 20.

So it's up to you on how you like the ring mechanic to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

Not much changes in hard, so I say you're okay with it.

What changes is that you can collect 999 rings but once you're hit, you lose them all. While in normal, you can collect a max of up to 100 rings at a time, and when you're hit, you only lose 20.

So it's up to you on how you like the ring mechanic to work.

So better hard. Is this the only difference?

1 minute ago, Tailsrules said:

So better hard. Is this the only difference?

As far as I know, this is the only difference aside from your time won't be recorded in Normal mode when it comes to online rankings.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard in general isn't much of a step in difficulty for Forces. I would recommend playing it on that difficulty because that is the way Generations and Unleashed will automatically play and both have no difficulty selection. Because of that, you'll get used to it in Forces while still having the additional benefits of no lives and being a lot more linear so you can get used to playing 3D Sonic.

Just be aware that there are aspects in Forces that will not be part of other games. Classic Sonic controls terribly in Forces while he plays a lot better in Generations, and the Avatar is a completely new element for Forces that involves using weapons along with Modern Sonic gameplay. It's still a good jumping on point, but be aware that there's still plenty of issues that will not effect the other games in the series.

• Thumbs Up 1