Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

Spyro, unless they fuck up the collision BIG TIME or fail to bugtest something, will all depend on how well they replicate the aesthetic, movement, designs and sound, as the gameplay itself is a lot looser and relaxed when it comes to platforming. It's less about precision and more figuring out how to get to certain spots.

1 hour ago, Candescence said:

Well, I'll give Toys For Bob credit at least, the remakes look significantly better aesthetically than the originals, and I don't mean the graphics. One of my main problems with the PS1 Spyro games was that the environments weren't really special or unique - Spyro 1's worlds in particular were about as bland as bland could be compared to Mario 64 and Banjo. The environments in this remake actually have some style injected into them.

Hopefully they don't make the same mistake made with the Crash trilogy and forget to make the platforming collisions as close to the originals as possible. Granted, I don't think Spyro was as big on precise platforming as Crash is.

The first Spyro was pretty empty, but never dull or bland. Color usage in special had a lot of charm and helped create the mood of the levels. Some levels felt really magical, some really comfy, some really misterious. The music then helped everything come together. IMO, Spyro was a much more refined game than Mario 64 in terms of art and sound.

The interview gave me confidence that Toys For Bob (still think this name is odd) will nail the gameplay. I just hope it's not like Enter the Dragonfly, where it looked okay on the surface, but it was very uncanny valley when you're actually playing it. That's the plague of remaking a game, there's always a chance of making the gameplay very close to the original, but never quite there, which end up leaving an uncanny valley feeling that can distract veteran players more than it should. Crash N.Sane Trilogy was like that, but I eventually managed to look past the little details and have fun. Never ever the NST gameplay made me loose a live for free tho', it's still solid and precise, just a bit different from the original. It's not broken or anything.

3 hours ago, AlphaRuby said:

Spyro’s more of a collector-phon IIRC.

Yep. I'll admit,  back in the day when I tried out those games,  that element kinda put me off them and I never really completed them (the first Spyro game U actually completed was Spyro: Orange The Cortex Conspiracy,  go figure :U ) So perhaps this remake  might give me the new chance to give it a go. 

@Shiroi ?

https://steamdb.info/sub/213423/apps/

The Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy Steam page was updated 19 hours ago on April 5th, the same day as the announcement of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Maybe the Spyro Trilogy trailer was added into the Crash Trilogy, so that could potentially be the case of a PC version of the Spyro Trilogy. So we'll have to wait until July 10th to find out. Also the Spyro Reignited Trilogy is already being advertised at PAX East 2018.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

https://steamdb.info/sub/213423/apps/

The Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy Steam page was updated 19 hours ago on April 5th, the same day as the announcement of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Maybe the Spyro Trilogy trailer was added into the Crash Trilogy, so that could potentially be the case of a PC version of the Spyro Trilogy. So we'll have to wait until July 10th to find out. Also the Spyro Reignited Trilogy is already being advertised at PAX East 2018.

Huh.

Looks like we might get Spyro on Switch and PC sooner than we think. (Which is a year)

7 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Huh.

Looks like we might get Spyro on Switch and PC sooner than we think. (Which is a year)

So much for whichever leaker claimed that Spyro would have a year of timed exclusivity.

It's like this:

PS4 and Xbox to play it first.

PC for fidelity.

And Switch for portability.

Unless they just go "fuck it" and announce it's coming to every platform at the same time.... And God knows why they haven't right way, it's so weird. This move only got people flooding YT coments and Twitter demanding a Switch port :U 

I don't get you Activision.

Anyways, Spyro is already Amazon's best selling game, the hype is real.

Confirmed that the Spyro Reignited Trilogy runs on Unreal Engine 4.

Also another thing since Toys For Bob is helping with the Crash ports, maybe Vicarious Visions will help bring Spyro to PC and Switch.

It seems that the that both have dropped the rivalry with each other.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:19 PM, Bobnik said:

It's happening, dudes.

In hindsight,  these "friends" take on quite the double entendre:

I have to ask, since people keep bringing it up: was there ever any rivalry between Sonic and Spyro at all? I mean, I know Crash threw down with Sonic (and Mario, for that matter) but still, when I think of mascots that took a crack at Sonic, Spyro isn't the first thing to come to mind.

16 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

I have to ask, since people keep bringing it up: was there ever any rivalry between Sonic and Spyro at all? I mean, I know Crash threw down with Sonic (and Mario, for that matter) but still, when I think of mascots that took a crack at Sonic, Spyro isn't the first thing to come to mind.

Back in the late 90's when the Spyro trilogy arrived, Sonic was (of course) still console exclusive, aka the Dreamcast and Spyro was on PS1, but they were never considered rivals. Crash was generally consider Sony's main mascot, ahead of Spyro. Even so, Crash and Sonic still weren't big rivals either. Nothing compared to what Mario and Sonic were in the 90's.

With Sonic, Spyro and Crash all multi-platform these days (I want to play a Mario game on PS4...someday XD), they'e now best-buds.

Image result for sonic spyro and crash

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

(I want to play a Mario game on PS4...someday XD)

Considering how the Switch is doing (and how people who predicted Nintendo's doom are crying) you're gonna have to hold out for a Sony console far into the future if that'll even ever happen, old friend. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from mobile (which is less like a rival and more like a force of nature that can level entire cities), I don't think Mario would ever make the jump to other platforms. He's too meaningful to Nintendo for that. 

That's the thing tho', people going all and about demanding Switch port of literally every game announced, which is quite frankly exausting... But God forbid someone ask for a Bayonetta 2 port for example. I don't think neither Crash or Spyro should be PS4 exclusive since these franchises are multiplatform longer than they were Sony's exclusive. But so did Sonic, and still it had a bunch of Nintendo exclusive games. Companies do these exclusive deals and people only act like it's a sin when it doesn't involves Nintendo it seems...

Nintendo funded development of Bayonetta 2 and 3, of course it's going to be exclusive. They literally wouldn't exist if Nintendo didn't pay up. Sony isn't the ones funding Crash NST nor Spyro Reignited. 

4 hours ago, Jango said:

But God forbid someone ask for a Bayonetta 2 port for example.

Because logically, that ain't gonna happen considering how Nintendo calls the shots on them. It's the equivalent of wanting Mario on a Sony console. It'll only happen the day Nintendo dies or goes third party which is not looking likely.

5 hours ago, Jango said:

That's the thing tho', people going all and about demanding Switch port of literally every game announced, which is quite frankly exausting..

Admittedly, it makes more sense than exclusivity begging. You want a game on a console, you gotta let them know there's demand for it.

Well, replaying Spyro 2 - just found something I'm hoping is added - proper analogue camera support. The right stick doesn't do much here.

Also - is it just me or does Spyro 2 have some framerate/slowdown issues? I'm playing the EU PS3 classics port and the music slows down at random points. I thought it might've been the usual PAL slowdown nonsense on our classics - similar to what Klonoa 1 has, but our version says "Ripto's Rage" on the title screen, indicating it's the US ISO.

25 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Also - is it just me or does Spyro 2 have some framerate/slowdown issues? I'm playing the EU PS3 classics port and the music slows down at random points. I thought it might've been the usual PAL slowdown nonsense on our classics - similar to what Klonoa 1 has, but our version says "Ripto's Rage" on the title screen, indicating it's the US ISO.

I had the same issues while playing Spyro 3 on PS3 a while back. The game would just slow down every few seconds.

And yeah, for some reason the EU (or at least, the UK) PS1 Classics releases of the Spyro trilogy are actually the US versions (hence why the American flag appears on their PS Store icons). I'm not sure why that is, though.

Just now, NegaMetallix said:

I had the same issues while playing Spyro 3 on PS3 a while back. Though I think both the music AND the game itself would slow down every few seconds.

And yeah, for some reason the EU (or at least, the UK) PS1 Classics releases of the Spyro trilogy are actually the US versions (hence why the American flag appears on their PS Store icons). I'm not sure why that is, though.

I'm fine with US ISO personally - granted they bother to ensure it's 60hz so it runs at proper speed. Klonoa is constant 50 and it drives me absolutely insane because of it because all of the music sounds butchered.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm fine with US ISO personally - granted they bother to ensure it's 60hz so it runs at proper speed. Klonoa is constant 50 and it drives me absolutely insane because of it because all of the music sounds butchered.

I see. That might explain why they went with the US versions, then.

...Not that it matters much, when they suffer from those framerate issues. I think I got through a full level or two in Spyro 3 before unfortunately dropping it, 'cause the constant dips were just getting ridiculous.

They confirmed on a IGN interview that just like Crash had it's controls tweaked to fit the new standard, Spyro will too, using the camera mapped to the right stick as an example

• Fist Bump 1

11 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Well, replaying Spyro 2 - just found something I'm hoping is added - proper analogue camera support. The right stick doesn't do much here.

I dusted-off my old PS2 and played my PS1 copy of Spyro 2:

DaLXIgvWAAAcO0T.jpg

I then played the EU PS3 classic version which - as you said - is the NA Ripto's Rage version. I played through the first stage "Glimmer" in both versions. There is no music or frame-rate slow down in the PS1 version (which I played on my PS2). Whereas upon starting Glimmer on the EU PS3 classic version I immediately experienced the music and frame-rate slowdown which you mentioned and also later on in the level.

So the PS1 version is fine and the EU classic version is a shitty emulation.

I also agree that improvements to the camera are a must. 

This video is a good analysis of the trailer compared with PS1 footage. I'm really liking the improvements-especially to the backgrounds which give the levels more personality. I'm more impressed with this footage than I was with the first footage shown-off for the N-Sane trilogy.

11 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

From what I've heard, it's from the PS3's PSOne Emulation, not the game itself. If you use a PSOne disc of the game, there's no slowdown.

38 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

I dusted-off my old PS2 and played my PS1 copy of Spyro 2:

DaLXIgvWAAAcO0T.jpg

I then played the EU PS3 classic version which - as you said - is the NA Ripto's Rage version. I played through the first stage "Glimmer" in both versions. There is no music or frame-rate slow down in the PS1 version (which I played on my PS2). Whereas upon starting Glimmer on the EU PS3 classic version I immediately experienced the music and frame-rate slowdown which you mentioned and also later on in the level.

So the PS1 version is fine and the EU classic version is a shitty emulation.

I also agree that improvements to the camera are a must. 

This video is a good analysis of the trailer compared with PS1 footage. I'm really liking the improvements-especially to the backgrounds which give the levels more personality. I'm more impressed with this footage than I was with the first footage shown-off for the N-Sane trilogy.

Great video by VTNVIVI, I wonder how Year of the Dragon will look compared to the original.

8 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

From what I've heard, it's from the PS3's PSOne Emulation, not the game itself. If you use a PSOne disc of the game, there's no slowdown.

Yep, you're correct. Just tried my PS1 disc-copy in my PS3 and there's no slow-down in the Glimmer level. So it's just PS3 EU classic emulation which experiences slow-down.

2 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Great video by VTNVIVI, I wonder how Year of the Dragon will look compared to the original.

I think all three games are gonna look gorgeous. Spyro 1 will probably stand-out more purely because visually the PS1 version was not as impressive as the better-looking Spyro 2 & YOTD.