Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

The colors definitely look better when they're closer to the original. There's a reason it was made like this in 1998. The greener grass stands out much more against the pink-ish towers. It's much better than the yellow-ish tone from the first few screenshots we saw. They've also changed the tower's roof color back to the original green instead of blue. Everything is much more vibrant and vivid than before, which mean they are indeed listening. I'm feeling the magic now.

Other than the graphics, it looks like Spyro himself controls a lot smoother, which is great, because in the original he was kinda stiffy, especially turning around. Sparx does its job too, very quickly and very responsive. But the  model appears to be missing the yellow glow and particle effects (it may be the video's quality tho').

The enemies and everything else is beautifuly and faithfuly recreated, even the grunts the sheppard does is pretty much the same. But IIRC, Spyro should bounce back when changing against them. Nothing gamebreaker tho'.

The music sounds very close to the original, didn't noticed any missing instruments or different melodies.

The only thing that looks kinda lazy yet is the HUD. Also, all 3 Spyro games had those fully 3D numbers rendered everytime you collect a gem, which also bounces and spins around a bit before exploding, it's pretty satisfying. They still bounce here, but the render (and the font) itself look a bit simple, unfinished perhaps. 

Also, I didn't noticed the gems sparking in the distance, they CAN'T remove this effect, it's essential to the game. 

In a nutshell, looking great and it's probably gonna get better and better. Can't wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m sorry guys, most of the enemy designs I’m not really feeling...everything else looks great tho

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the bit about the Elder Dragons now representing the world they inhabit through their designs. It's a really neat touch.

I played very little of Spyro 1, just up to Ice Cavern actually, but so far no re-design bothers me. Perhaps this will change (hopefully not!) when they start showing more of Spyro 3, the one I've played most back then and my favorite. Then agaaaaain, as long as they don't mess the main characters (Bianca, Sgt. Bird, Sheila, Bentley, Agent 9 and the Sorcerer), I'm OK with the re-designed side characters and enemies. Need trAAAAAAAILERRR thoooo. 

Seems like we'll have something on E3 after all.

Edit- More art

Ok at this point they're just spoiling us

• Thumbs Up 2

Indeed they are! Here, have more stuff, in GIF form now!

You didn't think this Wumpa fruit would pass unnoticed, huh TfB? :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it just me, or does Ripto's face look...off? I don't think snake eyes really fit his design.

Love everything else, though!

Ripto looks fucking ugly as hell. Ugh I hate how I’m not liking the enemy designs all that much outside a few

This looks amazing, with a lot more going on than the Crash N-Sane Trilogy final box art. So I guess now expect a trailer to be shown at E3 which will feature Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon.

Alright. That's Ripto? 

No. 

Not good, Toys for Bob. Not good.

The Sorcerer and Gnasty Gnorc look okay. But Ripto, what the fuck happened there. Ugh I'm having Skylanders' flashbacks...

Also, that in the middle is supposed to be Firework Factory?

Also², every gem has the same shape 😕

Ripto's honestly looking pretty good, I don't see what are people's problems. Outside of his big head being a bit distracting now, it's a good translation into HD, take the original, scale it up, add detail in the blank spaces. He looks more sinister now, which fits since he was basically a cartoon villain in Spyro 2, with no plot other than ''rule everything''.

They also gave him a snout, which honestly, helps knowing he's a dinosaur, while in the original, his lack of one made him almost look like a weird orange puppet with nostrils and eyes glued to his face. And it's also rather subdued compared to his ETD design, which looks dopey in comparison.

Overall, I liked it a lot, Ripto's my favorite villain in the trilogy and I can't wait to see his new design in motion.

• Nice Smile 1

It's hard to really judge from such a small picture, but I do think Toys For Bob is making the same mistake that VV did with Crash, being too over focused on fleshing out and giving everything high polygon-worthy detail to the point it looks a bit grotesque (only the main character looks to be kept respectful simple in both cases). Sure the PS1 models were basic as hell, but that wasn't down to actual base design. Sometimes streamlining things works better.

I'm wondering how the other good guys will look. Hopefully Bianca doesn't look like a humanoid furry wet dream like in ETD.

• Thumbs Up 3

The eyes, nose and massive grin just don’t look that great to me, and make him look less like ripto and more like just a ugly creepy gremlin vs a hammy villain. Idk just doesn’t mesh well in my mind 

I think he looks too sinister for his own good. It's the eyes, man. The rest looks fine.

The way I see it, Ripto was supposed to be one of thoses shorty and hot-headed villains, that inside are just big cry babies.

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

The eyes, nose and massive grin just don’t look that great to me, and make him look less like ripto and more like just a ugly creepy gremlin vs a hammy villain. Idk just doesn’t mesh well in my mind 

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I think he looks too sinister for his own good. It's the eyes, man. The rest looks fine.

The way I see it, Ripto was supposed to be one of thoses shorty and hot-headed villains, that inside are just big cry babies.

The grin and eyes won't have much effect on his model, considering the cutscenes will have him constantly changing expression, the nose, which is more of a snout now, fits Ripto's reptillian design, but still avoids being that bad ETD redesign with a giant snout, so I'm thankful for that.

EMAFEXO.jpg

Really, once you compare the designs, you'll see they're pretty close outside of more reptillian details, and slimmer limbs, WHICH is totally understandable, because in 2 Ripto, for all his moving around in cutscenes and boss fights, always looked awkward because his stubby limbs had no joints. Now the redesign seems to comfort the mobility Ripto exhibits throughout the game.

As for him looking too sinister, I'd say it's just the artwork showcasing his personality. Think of, say, Tachyon, or Nefarious from R&C. Their designs are both rather menacing and sinister looking, yet both have plenty of comedic moments, some of which highlighted by the contrast of this demonic looking gremlin or this big skeletal robot being either the source of the silly antics or the butt of the joke.

Yeah we’re gonna have to agree to disagree. I ain’t changing my stance here justification to your disagreement with me or not, and if anything comparing them side to side, only further makes me think the redesign is ugly as fuck to look at. Visual preference is a preference and if one finds something unappealing, doesn’t matter how you may argue, it’s visually just not gonna look well to someone