Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

Oh, I like thisss. Both Elora and Hunter look and sound fine. Love'em. I'm glad Tom Kenny did a more natural voice for Spyro in 2, unlike Spyro 1 where he's clearly trying to mimic Carlos' more nasal voice... Which I am not a huge fan.

The animation is beautiful, looks like a Pixar movie. The only thing that bothers me, but that's just because I'm a graphic designer, is Ripto's flag design. In the original, his silhouette kinda worked as a logo, which is nice, now it's just a concept art of him. Not saying it looks bad, but the more minimalist and "icon-ic" flag is more appealing to me.

The redesigns look great to me so far. The original designs outside of Spyro himself looked lame & forgettable to me. For example the kangaroo actually looks like a real character now, even if i'm not sure about the hair... at least she doesn't look like some background NPC as before. The update on the faun girl is my fave so far.

She does look more in line with an actual faun now. It's not a bad redesign.

Also, does this animation ramp up the charm, or what?

Here's Reignited Elora's concept art, by the way:

• Thumbs Up 2

Uhm, did Elora sounded so... positively amused when she said "I'm a faun, you dork" even in the original game? Because the italian dub made her sound really pissed when saying that line, giving more sense to Spyro's apology

Other than that, i'm ok with these redesigns.

16 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Uhm, did Elora sounded so... positively amused when she said "I'm a faun, you dork" even in the original game? Because the italian dub made her sound really pissed when saying that line, giving more sense to Spyro's apology

Nah, the original delivery of the line had an annoyed edge to it, IIRC. Still, I do like how it's delivered here.

Wasn’t being sassy a bit to her character though, hence the annoyed response? Seems like they may have ignored that about her to make her more in line of the “cutesy happy go lucky” girl trope. Can’t say I liked her delivery here. But I like her design 

I still hear a bit of sass in the delivery, it's just that now she seems more playfully snarky than outright annoyed. Like it may have bugged her a little, but she still tried to be a little courteous to the guy who's here to save everyone.

I mean, i guess it's just nitpick for a minor change.
What i'm more curious about is how tired and in pain Hunter looks when he emerges from the portal. Wich makes me ask, just how do non-winged characters experience the transition from one end of a portal to the other?

Not a fan of the giggly delivery of my favorite line from Spyro 2. "I'm a faun, you DORK!" I mean, I understand why they changed it, but still. Is that Melissa Disney reprising her role? Sounds just like the original.

And does Spyro sound kinda...goofy to anyone else? Like, way too peppy?

All just little nitpicky things, of course. Everything looks absolutely fantastic.

In the original english dub, Elora does deliver that famous line in a clearly annoyed tone, as if she gets asked that same question everytime. 

The new take didn't bothered me, but I felt that the "oh no" sounded kinda... "Whatever"? Felt more like a "oh, yeah, this kinda stinks", which didn't suited the situation there... In fact, the whole cutscene had that tone, they completely removed that heavy guitar riff that plays when Ripto's flag drops over the castle. That riff, man. In the remake the scene is just: (...) You can even hear birds in the background lol 

The tone could be closer to the original, I mean, an evil sorceress has just taken control of your home. That's terrible. Oh, and the new background music doesn't help either.

Still looks insanely good and well animated. Also, Elora sounds a bit like Nina Cortex from Crash of the Titans/Mind Over Mutant. Same VA?

Elora sounds really good-true to the original voice and she looks hot. Yeah, I said it XD

Hunter sounds a bit more different to his original version. Almost a bit like Roger Craig Smith. Although he still sounds good!

Speaking of Spyro 2, AndDude uploaded a review yesterday:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Is it just me or does her concept art design look WAY more loyal to the original?

I feel like something is getting lost in translation through the modelling, like the guys doing the 3D haven't seen the old games or can't quite translate the drawing style right. I suspect some like Sheila looked completely different even on paper though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's more likely that they just decided to tweak the design between concept art stage and final stage. I mean, there's more steps to a design getting in than "you make concept, it goes straight to modelling". 

I think I can guess why it was tweaked before getting into the game as well; Elora's old design looks like she's in her 20's. You want to try having Spyro and Elora teased as a ship when he's like 12-13 and looks younger in the remake than the originals?

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think it's more likely that they just decided to tweak the design between concept art stage and final stage. I mean, there's more steps to a design getting in than "you make concept, it goes straight to modelling". 

I think I can guess why it was tweaked before getting into the game as well; Elora's old design looks like she's in her 20's. You want to try having Spyro and Elora teased as a ship when he's like 12-13 and looks younger in the remake than the originals?

That always tends to be a general problem with female characters though, since they're regularly made more humanoid than the goofier males. Coco for example nearly always looks older than Crash despite being his baby sister, even in the remake this is kinda true, just VV circumvented it a bit by 'shrinking' her model to make Crash look taller.

It's not just proportions anyway, some changes look really superfluous, like the over-the-top anime hairstyle and the darkened forehead.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose they're still tweaking stuff? Then again, these cutscenes are pre-rendered, right? I'm fine with Elora being cute tho'. I wouldn't mind much about the concept art looking better, they always do, in like, ANY game. 

2 hours ago, AlphaRuby said:

I knew I recognized Morgana in Elora's new voice

“What are you, some kinda cat?”

”I'm a HUMAN, you dork!”

Oh, I haven't made a post in this topic yet? Well, everything in this game actually looks really impressive so far, even if some of the character designs are a little iffy. And looking at some of these designs, I am ultra convinced there are more than a few furries on the character design team for this game not that i was ever complaining about that

Also, a special edition at the EB Games in my country? Hmm, maybe I'll check this out...

I love Cassandra Lee Morris! As if I didn't already have enough reasons to love this new Elora!

Btw minor nitpick but shouldn't the topic title be altered to reflect the new release date?

5 tips on Spyro Reignited Trilogy. First look at the hockey mini game. Also, the game is playable at PAX West and FanExpo. 

On 8/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, Operationgamer17 said:

Elora voice actress confirmed.

Sure going to be exciting to have an Elora that's obsessed with donuts and nags Spyro to go to bed somehow psychically knowing when he's tired.