Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

Remember when I said that the download crap was definitely because Activision rushed development and production? Yeah, the emerging bugs and the fact another team had to work on 3 shows that too. Would also explain why things like the main menu is a bit boring in comparison to N Sane Trilogy.

Fucking hell Activision.

• Absolutely 2

I don't get it. I remember before the official announcement in April, people found trace of the Reignited Trilogy (project Falcon) being in development even before Crash N. Sane Trilogy, or almost at the same time. Granted, all 3 Spyro games are waaaay bigger than Crash, but still. Crash started development in 2015, and so did Spyro. How it took that long and still end up being rushed and unpolished? I feel like they should've revealed this even earlier, because definitely the fan feedback helped a lot these last months... But hopefully they'll patch it all up soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

There IS a post from a supposed TFB dev on 4chan that said they were originally making a new Spyro but were forced to retool it into a remake of the trilogy after N.Sane gathered so much attention. Seems fishy at first, but they also said they were fighting for a delay(before the delay got revealed) and that 1 is pretty much done, 2 is on the final polishing stages but 3 needs more time for animation rigs and model development. All of which seem to be true with the current stuff people are saying about the game. This would explain why the game having so much time in development would still end up like this AND why TFB was so reluctant to talk about the development cycle of the game.

• My Emmerdoods 1

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

I don't get it. I remember before the official announcement in April, people found trace of the Reignited Trilogy being in development even before Crash N. Sane Trilogy, or almost at the same time. Granted, all 3 Spyro games are waaaay bigger than Crash, but still. Crash started development in 2015. Could Spyro actually have took that long and still end up being rushed and unpolished? I feel like they should've revealed this even earlier, because definitely the fan feedback helped a lot these last months... But hopefully they'll patch it all up soon.

I can tell you as someone who studied Game Design and development, traces of development doesn’t mean what a lot of us think. Back then, even between 2015 and 2016, what we were told for a potential project being in development might’ve just been core ideas. As in “this is a possibility” and nothing else.

I have my doubts they were developing Spyro in 2015, or even 2016. Crash was a risk in their eyes and I doubt they’d put Spyro in development til they knew for sure they’d get a return on the investment. Not only that, but Skylanders was still running strong with Superchargers having just released in 2015. If ANY trace of Spyro was in development in 2015, it was nothing more than Activision raising the possibility if Crash succeeds. 

When Crash began looking like it was going to be a success and Skylanders going into a bit of a hiatus in 2017, that is the only time I can truly believe they actually began development. It reeks of typical Activision greed. Crash did well so let’s not only get them ported to every console ASAP, but let’s move ahead on Spyro! It begins to make a whole lot more sense when you recall upon the first announce trailer, we only had Spyro 1 footage and nothing else. It begins to show that this was a rushed developmental process. To be absolutely honest, it makes sense now why the game was delayed, because I truly believe they literally didn’t have 2 or 3 finished and NEEDED the additional two months to get them to at least workable states. 

If you need any more evidence on this, Sansaru only just finished their last game project a few months ago (A Marvel VR game). If they’re the ones who worked on Spyro 3, that means it’s highly likely Spyro 3 only ended up with a few months of dev time likely making use of already made assets from Toys for Bob when it became apparent how much of a bad situation the game was in. 

With that, it becomes clear what REALLY happened. With the delay to November, Activision clearly rushed the game hard to make the holiday deadline, which explains not only the rushed disc print, poor optimisation and such but also explains why they’re still unpolished. 

The final piece of evidence begins to become clear when you then take into account the download controversy. It begins to make sense now why not only is the disc contents total rubbish, but why the game itself when downloaded reaches 70GB, more than GTA V, and Spider-Man PS4. The rushed development likely means Toys for Bob and Sansaru got little to no time to actually figure out how to compress their assets and such and optimise them to fit into a lower file size without losing quality, because put simply, Activision rushed development and it came down to either optimising the game or trying to ensure as much of it was in a polished state as possible.

Now, is this what happened? I don’t know, I could be completely wrong, but that’s the only conclusion I can come to when you tie everything together.

• Thumbs Up 4

Don’t remember if this was posted but, Playstation Access talked with the devs, and they revealed that the dragons in the first game were originally designed after celebrities but had to drop the idea to avoid legal trouble.

Well shit, @Ratcicle King and @Ryannumber1gamer, now I get it. Especially if the 4chan stuff is true. I know game development doesn't go from "hey, let's make a game!" to people riging and rendering stuff the next day, but this is a remake, they didn't had to figure it out many things, TFB have talented people, clearly. Besides, they said in a recent interview that the Spyroscope was created in just a month or so. But if we take the 4chan rumour as real, it makes PERFECT sense, that it began as a new Spyro game, but had to shift over to a remake after Crash made huge success. So basically, the game only came to be late 2017 😥

And UNLESS their original Spyro game was classic inspired (which I kiiiiiinda doubt, don't forget that TFB also did the infamous Skylanders' Spyro) they probably couldn't have used anything...

Fucking hell, Activision.

It's also worth mentioning that Toys for Bob worked in Skylanders Imaginators in 2016 AND assisted on the development of N.Sane Trilogy in 2017, including the ports this very year, which means not only what @Ryannumber1gamer and the 4chan post refer to probably happened, but also happened while TFB had a part of their teams focused on other projects during the entire development cycle.

The game's effective at making me have "I remember this" moments from when I originally played the first game back on the PS1. We'll see how effective that is come the third, and whether it unlocks any memories of the second - which I have no idea if I actually played.

I'm tired from work... But I can't wait no longer 😣 Gonna grab a Coke + coffee and dive in. See ya soon!

EDIT: MOTHET F*, the Activision logo animation is at 60FPS, these duckers! >: ( It's literally the first thing you see upon turning the game on.

EDIT 2: Erm... Why the active camera doesn't work?

I'm actually wondering why you can't turn the motion blur off, this sucks.

Game is fucking charming. When you reach those large open areas like Peace Keepers World, with the sun shining and everything, it's gorgeous and you get sucked into it. I have no complaints about the graphics untill now. Everything is very clean and colorfull. Tho', some textures are out of place, like the cactus in Peace Keepers having glossy texture and the rocks... Looking way too smooth. Other than that, there's a bunch of little details added, as well as big details, like the book shelves and candles in Dark Hollow, which looks beautiful. Love how the flames not only burn grass, but light up dark areas and even casts a perfect shadow around. It's very neat.

Spyro is a little quickier than before. Not a gamebreaking thing, you just need a few minutes to readjust. But in consequence, he's also snapier. Zero input lag (unlike his orange friend). I've managed to save myself from falling into pits quite a few times because Spyro jumps and turns around really quickly. It's great. Really hope this is carried over to Spyro 2 and 3.

The passive camera actually works... But it doesn't keep up with Spyro as quick as it should. Also, I feel like the camera is closer to Spyro than in the original, which is kinda annoying to be perfect honest. I wish they had added a camera distance control similar to games like GTA V and Red Dead. Oh, and I'm playing with the retro control scheme, rotating the camera with the right analog and pressing circle doesn't work for me, I have to quickly let go my thumb from the analog to do it and put it back, which annoys me. Gonna stick with R2 and L2, it works fine. Just inverted the X rotation.

The soundtrack. I enter the level, listen to the remix once and go "eh"... everytime. Not a single remix untill now grabbed my atention, except Peace Keepers World. Thank God we have that option. 

I'm having a good time so far. Playing Ice Cavern right now. Speaking of it, there's an invisible rock right in front of its portal! Sparx almost couldn't grab a red gem because of that. Did nobody play tested this? It's Impossible to miss.

What I didn't liked / what called my atention: 

- Motion blur. Please, give an option to turn it off in a patch. I know it's used to mask the framerate, but I rather deal with some hicups than a headache.

- Speaking of it, yeah, the framerate drops once in a while. It stutters quite a lot. PC version will likely run fine and at 60FPS, and I'm already imagining how amazing it's going to look. Fuck bad optimization for consoles...

- Sometimes I feel like there's an abundance of visual effects. Those little assholes egg thieves leave behind too much "cartoon smoke", you can't barely see and focus on them. The gems also leave a bit too much sparkle for my taste.

- There's definitely a few pop-ups. Which is really ridiculous, considering the original games from 1999 avoided this by introducing their own method of masking this issue and it worked quite well, so... WTF, Toys for Bob? 😕😕 I think the PS4 is powerfull enough to render this levels all at once, isn't it? lol 

Gonna go back to my playthrough.

I've never played a Spyro game before. I was at least semi-familiar with how a Crash game played since I had Wrath of Cortex (never beat it) but Spyro is a blank slate for me. I wonder if I'd enjoy it.

One thing I'm becoming more and more certain of, seeing the scenes from it though, is that it really is amazing just how lazy the animation in Forces continues to look in comparison to almost anything else. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I've never played a Spyro game before. I was at least semi-familiar with how a Crash game played since I had Wrath of Cortex (never beat it) but Spyro is a blank slate for me. I wonder if I'd enjoy it.

One thing I'm becoming more and more certain of, seeing the scenes from it though, is that it really is amazing just how lazy the animation in Forces continues to look in comparison to almost anything else. 

Since you've never played Spyro, you're automatically less critic than nostalgic fans like me. The game is pure charm, very colorfull and fun. There's some wonky mini-games on Spyro 2 and 3, but they are few, and hopefully the remake made then more bearable. Unless the game is a bug-fest, which I'm not seeing, grab it, man.

Ok after a few hours i can say the game has its bugs. It looks beautiful on xbox one x since its enhanced for it but god if the game does not stutter at times.

Made it to Magic Crafters World last night, done Wizard Peak and the homeworld itself. They're beautiful in Reignited, even with the new color scheme. I actually think Magic Crafters World look as good in grey than in pink-ish. It feels less magical, yes, but it still looks great. Wizard Peak is just perfection.

And I actually really liked both remixes this time, especially Wizard Peak, which is one of my favorite songs in Spyro 1. So yeah, totally got me by surprise. 

Speaking of sound, I'm loving the sound design, they kept every enemy grunt and noise as close to the original as possible. They're too good to be replaced, especially the grunts the enemies in Magic Crafters do after been killed 😂😂 That's one thing Vicarious Visions didn't committed with Crash N. Sane, many of the iconic sound effects were changed too much. Good one, Toys for Bob.

And finally, yeah, Spyro controls much better in the Reignited Trilogy, especially when charging. His jump height is bigger and he turns around much, much better. The charging challenge in Wizard Peak became a piece of cake. I really hope he controls like this in 2 and 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Stutters appear the most when jumping bd turning fast.  also spyro xelora for life come at me

21 years late :x

So, yep. I've 120%d Spyro 1.

Spoiler

Dr_ZAn5XcAIWglw.jpg

Dr_ZBerX4AEfFjk.jpg

Dr_ZAMJXgAYfBdf.jpg

Dr_ZBs9WoAo4Q_j.jpg

Dr_aEu8WoBQIJ8r.jpg

Pros:

- Graphics look amazing.

- The character animations are adorable.

- Tom Kenny's calmer (less angry) approach to the voice feels perfectly at home in Spyro 1.

- I really like the color redesign of Beat Makers World. It needed an overhaul as it was the worst looking hub world in the original trilogy.

- Love the option to switch between the remastered & original soundtracks. The new soundtrack is really good, although I agree that it doesn't quite match the feel of the original.

- Love that you can use Sparx to locate missing gems. Allows you to finish stages more quickly, which is a good decision for a remaster of a 20 year old game!

- The Speedway (flight) stages feel slightly different, but are still fun. Although, I think the collision detection when close to the ground feels off compared to the original.

- Gnasty Gnorc is still no match for Spyro!

Cons:

- The long distance jumping feels slightly off compared to the original. I lost countless lives being unable to make jumps which I can easily make in the original version.

Conclusion:

A fantastic remaster.

So I found out that there are no other platforms to announce for Spyro: Reignited Trilogy other than the PS4 and Xbox One versions, which means there's no plans for a Nintendo Switch or PC release, at least not now.

giphy.gif

As for the game itself, it would be pretty cool if you could play as certain characters who are usually unplayable in the original trilogy. It would also be cool to explore worlds you cannot explore as characters other than Spyro in the third game. Even if that won't be included in the game, I still want to buy it.

Playing Misty Bog right now. I love what they did to Beast Makers World and its levels so far. This game is so colorfull and charming, so simple and fun. I missed these kind of games that are normally Nintendo exclusives. It's great to have them on PS4 / Xbox too.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Jiren (Metro) said:

21 years late :x

They make it waaaaay more obvious now though

Also I can see it coming to PC but file size says lol to the switch