Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

AntDude's review:

Like myself his favorite of the original trilogy is Spyro 2. He says that the Reignited trilogy has improved Spyro 1 & 3 so that they're now on-par with the original Spyro 2 (if that makes sense) which I also agree with.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who played the original Spyro 1 for the first time only this year, and just up to Tree Tops, I gotta say I really, really liked the Reignited remake, as much as Spyro 2, if not more. It's a sweet experience, you enter the level, you kill the bad guys, you free the dragons, you get the gems and you exit. It's simple, easy and fun. In Spyro 2, on top of all that, there are the minigames, that honestly, got a little tiresome to me. Maybe I'm less patience today than I was as a kid. 

I've played a few minutes of Spyro 3, and Jesus, the nostalgia blast I got from Sunrise Spring alone (after I've switched to the original music) was so big. 

I don’t think I ever swapped to the original soundtrack during my playthroughs. I felt right at home with most of the redid music tbh. When you’re moving, it picks up the beat and gives me that nostalgic feeling already.

Well I guess Spyro will be coming to the Crash Team Racing remaster. Because the above Tweet by the official Spyro account mentions Glacier Peak which is the 3rd  hub world in Crash Team Racing. So I guess my video about a possible crossover with hints from the 2 Twitter accounts was right.

I'm slowly playing Spyro 3 and I gotta say: while I don't hate the Reignited Cloud Spires, it simply isn't Cloud Spires. It looks great. But it ain't the same level anymore. The colors and textures of everything are wrong. It's basically a new level with Cloud Spires layout.

• 2 weeks later...

In Hurricos all of the Electrolls are no longer literally exactly Spongebob. Poor form Kenny.

Also think that the Sunny Beach turtle soup bit not having the camera pulled out anymore makes it far too easy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spyro as a playable character as a given, but a track based on Spyro? I never knew I wanted this untill now. This is awesome. Please Beenox!

• Thumbs Up 1

I finished Spyro 3 today! I completed all three games 100% (Well, 120%. 100%, 117%.) I really loved them. I hope Activision is working on a new one. I think I'd like them to stick closer to Spyro 2 game design-wise, though. 

Also, let me zoom the camera out! xO

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

I wonder if the next game could serve as something of an Ultimate Universe for Spyro. Like:

-Going with the idea that Spyro being a purple dragon makes him special.

-Cynder and/or Malefor coming back.

-Hunter having his village in Shadow Legacy (which in many ways came off as a predesccor of the Legend games) and Legend.

Also this developer who lovingly understood and recreated all the things that made the original games great, if given the go ahead to make new Spyro games, would probably be better off to forget all about the games that were hopelessly bleh or had David Spade in them or were this:

hqdefault.jpg

The only ones that really felt like they belonged with the original games were Season of Flame and Season of Ice; and from what I remember of the story of both of them they were just "Ripto's Rage: Again!"

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing Spyro 3 (Reignited) lately. It's the least polished indeed. Into world 2 and already ran into a few glitches. Also, why Sparx can't grab gems in FRONT OF HIM? I see people complaining about this in all 3 games, but it only ever happened to me now. 

Comparing to Spyro 1 and 2, some areas look unfinished and / or have blurry textures. Some animations look stiff too. I'm usually not the guy who complains about these kind of details, but the thing is that the other 2 games set the bar very high, they're really polished and clean. The baby dragons are just bleh compared to Spyro 1's elder dragons. TBH, the original baby dragons looked better than this. 

Gameplay wise, Sheila and Sgt. Byrd play fine, but I can't help but feel like they played better in the original, like for example Sheila, she used to carry some forward momentum when kicking, now she almost stops when doing it. Sgt. Byrd controls a bit akwardly when steering... And the camera when flying inside a cave, oh God... I thought we were over the days of bad camera in 3D games. 

Seriously, this one could use a patch.

• Thumbs Up 1