Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Did they at least got rid of the invisible rock in front of Ice Cavern's portal? XD

They haven't.

• Too Many Rings 1

Good lord, the PC version has some serious janky motions and lighting issues.

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Good lord, the PC version has some serious janky motions and lighting issues.

Just a heads-up: The creator of that video has since stated that the lighting issues in Spyro 1 are no longer a problem, but there are still major issues when playing with unlocked framerates.

On 9/3/2019 at 7:46 PM, NegaMetallix said:

@Ryannumber1gamer Hmm, I dunno then. If I were playing it, it'd be primarily in docked mode, so as long as the frame rate dips aren't too noticeable, then I may be tempted.

Have you tested all three games in the trilogy?

Update on this - I've moved onto Spyro 2 and just arrived at Summer Forest. The only difference I've noticed so far is the framerate seems to dip slightly more frequently than Spyro 1 in handheld, but not to any massively notable degree. It still seems fairly consistent and stable though in handheld.

• Thumbs Up 1

So. We really didn't got that big patch like Crash did. Game's great, but it could use a patch with bug fixes and enhancements, Spyro 3 especially, it was the least polished. 

Sigh. Maybe TfB already moved on.

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

So. We really didn't got that big patch like Crash did. Game's great, but it could use a patch with bug fixes and enhancements.

That's because unlike Crash, this re-release didn't get any fixes or enhancements. It got multiple languages and that's about the height of it, especially since obvious glitches like the invisible platform bug has still made it in.

While the initial state of Spyro can be blamed on Activision rushing Toys For Bob, the latest port turning out crummy with no improvements doesn't shine well for any of the parties involved. Activision for likely cheaping out on it, and Toys For Bob, not even being able to fix the game.

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

the latest port turning out crummy with no improvements doesn't shine well for any of the parties involved. Activision for likely cheaping out on it, and Toys For Bob, not even being able to fix the game.

That's not particularly fair - bar the nonsense surrounding downloads, the Switch port itself is very well done, and having played consistently on handheld this whole time through Spyro 1 and half of 2, it's been running good with little to no issues. 

I can't speak for the PC port, but the Switch port is good.

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's not particularly fair - bar the nonsense surrounding downloads, the Switch port itself is very well done, and having played consistently on handheld this whole time through Spyro 1 and half of 2, it's been running good with little to no issues. 

I can't speak for the PC port, but the Switch port is good.

I maintain, they should have actually fixed the problems from the initial status of the game. A simple porting job? Good for them, but not always something to raise the roof for.

Especially considering how good a porting job they did with Crash Bandicoot. Hold them to that standard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe (and probably) Spyro didn't sold as much as Crash for Activision to care about paying TfB to fix the game? 

Granted there are indeed some stupid little things that could've been fixed, like that infamous invisible rock. Of course an issue like this is easy to avoid and don't break the game or anything, but simply leaving it be,  IDK, it just feels kinda lazy to me.

However, there are some annoyances that really should be fixed, like the Sparx not grabbing gems glitch, the long loading times, the framerate issues in Spyro 3. The framerate in special is in fact gamebreaking, as you have to restart the game in order to fix it. I once got like, 10FPS in Fireworks Factory, ugh. 

The game is so incredibly pretty, it controls perhaps even better than the original (unlike Crash), there's the option to listen to the original soundtrack, there's just so much good in this... I just wish it could be perfect. All they gotta do is fix these bugs.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

The game is so incredibly pretty, it controls perhaps even better than the original (unlike Crash)

It also admittedly did a better job at looking better (without coming off as stiff), keeping lines in without removing them, and for the most part, translating the artistic and cartoony looks to the current generation of gaming than Crash Bandicoot and the N. Sane trilogy did too.

It's a damn shame for sure. Small stuff keeping it from being perfect. Unlike CTR's mtx, there's nothing plaguing the Reignited Trilogy, it's simple lack of polish (uuuuuunleeeess someone really got pissed over the fire weapons censorship, but eh).

I absolutely adore this game to bits, I don't think I remember the last time I entered a level in a platformer and said: "WOW. Holy crap". That's what I said when I got to Dreamweavers homeworld. That's what I said when I got to the inner area of Summer Forest (with the tree). Toys for Bob did an unquestionably amazing job. Too bad they're working for the wrong publisher. I'm sure all the stuff they didn't fixed and the polish the game in general lacked has 90% to do with Activision. Eventhough I said I think it's lazy of them not fixing minor bugs like the stupid rock, I still think it has more to do with Activision not allowing the extra time, just like they did when the game was about to be released. Toys for Bob had to step up and ask for more time, or else the game could've REALLY been Sonic 06 levels of unfinished. I know that at the end of the day this IS a product and both TfB and Activision want to profit, but I simply can not believe a team that has shown such love and dedication for these games purposely let these glitches and bugs still there. It makes no sense in my head. Some aspects of this game are incredibly polished.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick FYI, the PC versions of the Reignited Trilogy and the Crash N. Sane Trilogy are available right now on Humble Monthly. Subscribe now, and you can get both games (and a Call of Duty game I guess but who cares) for like, well, $12. That's a fantastic deal, all things considered. You guys have until the end of November to subscribe if you want these games on PC (I jumped on this deal immediately, the minor porting issues are a small price to pay for uncapped framerates).

Edit: Okay, I've actually played some of the first game for a bit, and I can finally give my thoughts. Frankly, the Reignited version of Spyro 1, at least, is significantly better than the original. I played the first two games years ago, and neither of them really hooked me, the first game especially. I distinctly remember Spyro 1's environments being uninspired, the gameplay just okay, and Spyro himself was a cocky brat who wasn't likable. Spyro 2 actually seemed to adjust Spyro's character considerably, the environments were a bit better, but the gameplay was still fairly okay as far as collectathon platformers went.

The first game in Reignited benefits significantly from the addition of more style injected into the visual direction, as well as what I'm fairly certain is re-written dialogue, because Spyro feels a lot less obnoxious than he did in the original. There's simply a lot more personality in the game, which is helped by the current-gen visual makeover. It's still a relatively decent platformer, but now I feel like I want to complete it.

Also, I'm using a PS3 Navigation Controller + Mouse combo, mainly putting jump on the trigger. It's a nice mix of the best of both worlds.

• 1 month later...

All of the games are now on one disc!

...only on certain versions

...which are still incorrectly labelled as requiring a content download...

...with no word from activision whatsoever

...with the only way of telling the version you're getting is the one with the full game is a copyright year on the disc...

spacer.png

Which probably confirms that the original issue was always that the game just wasn't done by the release date.

• Thumbs Up 1