Awoo.

Spyro the Dragon: Reignited Trilogy - November 13th, 2018 (PS4, Xbox One)

Ryannumber1gamer

My problem with Ripto is that he's not fat anymore, and he lacks that reptilian snout. It's more apparent if you look at his render in Enter the Dragonfly, he's got a snout that makes him look like some weird dinosaur hybrid.

1 minute ago, Rusty Spy said:

My problem with Ripto is that he's not fat anymore, and he lacks that reptilian snout. It's more apparent if you look at his render in Enter the Dragonfly, he's got a snout that makes him look like some weird dinosaur hybrid.

But then again, his ETD design isn't very good either, he looks too dopey. This one seems to give him a snout but make it subdued enough to not go too far from his original Spyro 2 design.

4 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

But then again, his ETD design isn't very good either, he looks too dopey. This one seems to give him a snout but make it subdued enough to not go too far from his original Spyro 2 design.

It looks bad in game, but the renders have the right idea. Big head, stubby limbs, fat body, long, broad snout. The redesign is only missing two of these.

latest?cb=20130219201954

Anyways, gotta see what they did to Hunter and Bianca >_>

Eh, I'm sure new Ripto will grow on me. BTW, they got his original VA back for this, righty?

Also, E3 trailer anyone? I'm sure we're gonna get one of these. Hopefully Spyro 2 and 3 gameplay! 

Oh, and last but not least, but I'd probably post in the Crash thread: Activision teased Crash NST news! Maybe another trailer showcasing the leaked Future Tense level!

Me personally, I don't care about Ripto's design because I have never played Spyro 2. And here are VTNVIVI and Canadian Guy Eh responses to this.

44 minutes ago, Rusty Spy said:

In both the Spyro and Crash remakes it's like they're trying too hard to rectify the villain decay that befallen the bad guys and going a bit far into the opposite route. I wouldn't be surprised if they direct Gregg Burger to sound much more sinister and creepy like they did with Lex Lang, despite the original roles still being goofy and hammy, just more subdued about it.

Ripto better still have the hilarious 'WHAT???' reaction whenever Spyro powers up in the final boss.

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

In both the Spyro and Crash remakes it's like they're too hard to rectify the villain decay that befallen the bad guys and going a bit far into the opposite route. I wouldn't be surprised if they direct Gregg Burger to sound much more sinister and creepy like they did with Lex Lang, despite the original roles still being goofy and hammy, just more subdued about it.

They'd have to try really hard and be completely tone deaf to make Ripto's dialogue sound sinister.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, he was hammy and throwing tantrums, but we need to recall that in Spyro 2, everyone in Avalar was actually taking him seriously. The only one who mocked Ripto was Spyro, and that's because he knew he could beat him. Heck, half his scenes involve him threatening to murder someone (And in one he was actually pretty close to feeding Zoe to Gulp), even if they sound rather humorous because of his hammy delivery.

I doubt they'll make Ripto's personality more sinister tho', TFB has a good history of making villains be serious threats while also being hilariously hammy dorks.

And now that @E-122-Psi mentioned it, yeah, that seems to be the reason behind Ripto's design. Cortex's N.Sane design also had a more sinister vibe, to fit his original introduction where he WAS a legitimate threat, and the same can be said for Ripto. Only if we go by Cortex's example, his sinister looks didn't really prevent him from having his comedic moments, so the same should be applied to Ripto in the cutscenes.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Me personally, I don't care about Ripto's design because I have never played Spyro 2. 

You're missing out dude. Spyro 2 is an amazing game. I'm hoping the remaster/remake does Spyro 2 justice. Whereas I was slightly disappointed with the remaster of Crash 2 because VV didn't quite nail the controls.

First time I saw the new render of Ripto I thought of: 

"RIPTO, RISE OF LYRIC" ;)

Overall, I think all the character renders in the box art look promising. Yeah, Ripto's design feels a tad off. Mainly because his head seems a bit too big compared to his cape and his eyes appear strikingly different, although probably suits the far more realistic-superior visuals the remaster will have over the original. They have of course brought back Gregg Berger who voiced Hunter & Ripto in the original game to do the voices in the remaster. So as long as he nails the voices-keeps it true to the original, then I'm confident Ripto will turn out good.

If they manage to get the controls right for all three games (which should be far easier than the difficulty VV faced trying to unify the control scheme across all three games when they did the Crash remaster), then the only thing I can see hurting the reception of the Spyro remaster are the visuals. Not because the visuals seem bad, on the contrary I think they're looking excellent. However, everyone seems to be rather overly critical of them at the moment and I hope the game doesn't get unfairly bashed in reviews because of this.

I want the Spyro remaster to be a success as much as the Crash remaster. It deserves to be.

Looking forward to seeing more gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 3

You guys think a new Spyro trailer will be presented at Sony's conference or they'll skip and just put in on YouTube? I mean, when Crash was announced at E3 2016 it was still a PS4 exclusive, but Spyro was announced as multiplat from the go. Perhaps we might get the new trailer early this monday or even today or tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, Jango said:

You guys think a new Spyro trailer will be presented at Sony's conference or they'll skip and just put in on YouTube? I mean, when Crash was announced at E3 2016 it was still a PS4 exclusive, but Spyro was announced as multiplat from the go. Perhaps we might get the new trailer early this monday or even today or tomorrow.

I could agree with a new trailer for Spyro any day now, because Skylanders Imaginators (same developer) was announced with a trailer about a week before E3 2016 began.

Sony's press conference will not feature Spyro as their main focus is on there 4 exclusive games, so Spyro will probably get it's attention during E3 starting on the 12th. 

Also Crash was announced at E3 2016, but the trailer didn't release until PSX 2016.

Brand new Gameplay, plus a third level was shown in this one, it is Sunny Flight

Oh yes! Finally real gameplay! Everything looks absolutely gorgeous in motion! The graphics are slick and the music is as good as the original (only a bit more quiet, but the melody is still there). The sound effects are evoking all those olds feels again :D I like how the second part of the music in Toasty only starts when you actually get to Toasty itself. I think that's the "dynamic music" thing that preview mentioned.

The colors look so good, man. I just wish they removed that damned motion blur.

Pretty much like Lex Lang tried to sound like Clancy Brown, Tom is trying to sound like Carlos.

Which I'll be OK if he only does it for the first game :T

Edit: OK, they've fucked Artisans' music... 😕 Goddamn it, TFB. I can't over compliment you.

I'm of two minds about Artisan's.

1. It's the first bit of music that hasn't just sounded like an inferior early mix of the original tracks. They got experimental a bit to evoke their new level imagery, and I do kind of like that. On the other hand:
  2. It's still worse.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think creative liberties are fine, I mean, these same liberties made this game look gorgeous, TFB re-imagined and spread life in places that in the past were just a big ass plain green texture.

And hey, maybe we're hearing the second loop of the Artisans' music, who knows, the first half could be more faithful to the original.

The music in Spyro is a very important factor, I say getting it right is more important than nailing the gameplay. The music and color in Spyro was something beyond its time, and should not be fucked with, IMO. Just updating the sound quality should be enough... but as a creative myself, I can't deny that there's an impulse to "do your thing" when working in stuff like this. You don't want to just "make it sound better", softwares can do this with a press of a button. Still. Hoping they can do the original justice by the end of the day. I'm impressed by Toasty, and Sunny Flight sounds great too. Same for Stone Hill and Tree Tops.

Captured gameplay of the E3 demo. 

EDIT: Sunny Flight gameplay

Edited by Operationgamer17
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say,  I love the extra details design,  and differentiation for the elder dragons in this trilogy remake.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

Gotta say,  I love the extra details design,  and differentiation for the elder dragons in this trilogy remake.

The voice acting is (obviously) fifty times better. Tom Kenny just nails it perfectly as Spyro. Ironically, a similar situation Spyro and Ratchet share - the original VA of both has the issue of sounding too cocky and arrogant for their own good IMO while the second (and more iconic VAs) sounded more natural and able to sell cockiness without it feeling like it was on 24/7.

Already, some of the improvements are visible too. Cutscenes don't awkwardly linger on the dragon freed count anymore, and there's notifications for when all of a collectable has been gotten in a level. If I only had one nitpick, I do wish they made the crystalized dragon designs unique. It was limitations on PS1, but it feels weird that they went to the effort of giving every dragon additional detail and such, but are still using the exact same stock statue model for every single dragon.

• Thumbs Up 3

The re-designed elder dragons are the best thing in this remake, I love what they're doing. I guess making the statues resemble the dragon within them would be nice, but I'm fine with the way it is. I like especially the way the dragons fly away after the cutscene and the way the last dragon in Tree Tops shrugs while doing it 😁 

Oh yeah, and the voice acting is lovely. Can't wait to hear Hunter, Ripto, Elora... BTW, big chances Ripto will get some lines changed/censored? 

On 6/12/2018 at 5:05 PM, Jango said:

Pretty much like Lex Lang tried to sound like Clancy Brown, Tom is trying to sound like Carlos.

Which I'll be OK if he only does it for the first game :T

Edit: OK, they've fucked Artisans' music... 😕 Goddamn it, TFB. I can't over compliment you.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, Tornado said:

I'm of two minds about Artisan's.

1. It's the first bit of music that hasn't just sounded like an inferior early mix of the original tracks. They got experimental a bit to evoke their new level imagery, and I do kind of like that. On the other hand:
  2. It's still worse.

Notice how the music doesn't change when they cut to another section. I'm pretty sure the footage is soundless with music added afterwards. Plus Dynamic music doesn't seem to kick in no matter if the guy goes inside a building or not. Seems like someone just added one of the Artisans tracks on top of the footage, and my bet is that they used not the ''main'' rendition, but the lowkey ''inside'' one.