Awoo.

Incredibles 2 *can it live up to the wait*

Meta77

As a 90s baby this was one of my favorite movies in high school. Pretty sure i was in hs. But after such a long wait like literally can it live up to the hype? What do you think. im just happy i get more elastic :P

• Thumbs Up 2

>90s baby

>Released in 2004

Uh anyway consider myself hyped! It’s even more exciting that it’ll come to theaters.

It is interesting that Helen will be the focus, I guess it’s because Bob’s arc was already completed in the first film.

12 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

>90s baby

>Released in 2004

35 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

As a 90s baby this was one of my favorite movies in high school.

Spoiler

Incidentally this is also why you'll see people who call themselves "90s kids" talking about very late 90s and early 00s shows. In fairness I remember being confused by this too but when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Obviously they ("we," I should say, since I was born in '94, lol) wouldn't remember as much stuff from the decade where they were like, 1-9 years old.

Anyway, this is looking pretty good! It's interesting they focused a bit more on Bob's side of things in the trailer since it's been said the movie focuses more on Helen, but I guess they don't want to spoil too much and tbh if it's anything like the first movie the whole family will get decent screentime anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

90s kid. Born but it be hard to  remember this is you were born 2000 and were 4. 2004 so I was a freshmen about that time

I don't mind the focus on her I just hope it's not to much home antics. The first balanced humor and action well

Not a 90s kid. Love the movie all the same.

And after all these years... We're finally getting a sequel!

akihiko-ive-been-waiting-for-this.png

From the teaser alone, the plot seems interesting. We're not seeing much from Helen at the moment, I can obviously see, but the prospect of Bob as a househusband is something that is interesting to me, considering we don't see a lot of that in media.

OH CAN I ALSO JUST BRING UP HOW VISUALLY AMAZING THIS FILM IS

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

OH CAN I ALSO JUST BRING UP HOW VISUALLY AMAZING THIS FILM IS

Yeah, it's great...and actually kind of surreal. Even tho' I haven't watched the original in a long time, I can tell it's a huge leap visually. What makes it even more surreal is how everything else feels like they never "left"; it's set almost immediately after the previous film, everyone seems in-character, etc.

• Thumbs Up 7

This is the first Pixar trailer in recent memory that had me laughing out loud during the trailer. The Incredibles is one of, if not my favourite animated film of all time, and this trailer delivered the same things I loved in the original.

I love the parallel of the first movie, Bob does heroics in order to feel like he has purpose again and because later in the film, he can't bare to see his family hurt. Now we have Helen doing the heroics while Bob tries to make things work with his family so Helen can succeed.

I loved the expressions in this trailer too, Bob's broken down "I'M RUNNING OUT OF COOKIES" mixed with the expression of a man who looks like he's about to break was priceless. Not to mention his breakdown at Maths. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh. I really like the first Incredibles, I'd even say it's my favorite Pixar movie, but this trailer isn't doing anything for me. It'll probably be fine, and it'll likely be a better superhero flick than the soulless trash Marvel and DC have done in recent years, but I dunno. I'm just sort of indifferent toward it. Might be a combination of superhero movie fatigue and general wariness of modern Pixar sequels. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope that Bob's character arc has more substance than being insecure about Helen being the superhero breadwinner while he's stuck baby sitting kids. And while the role reversal of Helen being the main lead (at least supposedly, this trailer focused mostly on Bob) and Bob staying at home is slightly interesting, I hope that it didn't take Brad Bird over a decade to come up with a story as simple as only that.

With all that said, I expect the Saul Goodman-voiced CEO to be a red herring for the dozenth Disney/Pixar twist villain in a row for the past decade.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this because of a tragedy that just hit Pixar, also having to do with the film:  Bud Luckey has passed away.

To quote his son's post on Facebook, "[m]y Dad was best known for his work in animation (PIXAR/Disney/Sesame Street) and as a voice actor (Eeyore, Agent Rick Dicker, Chuckles the Clown et al.). He loved his work but got even greater satisfaction from seeing others enjoy it."

As he was also the voice of a memorable character in the original, the new movie will most likely dedicated in his name and legacy.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/25/2018 at 2:44 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

I wonder what this means for Chuckles the Clown, and if he'll appear in Toy Story 4.

IIRC, the forth movie is a prequel to 2 anyway based on Woody and Bo, so it's a non-issue.

Or if plans have changed, possibly they'll pull a Bo and have Chuckles going onto greener pastures with a new family.

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

IIRC, the forth movie is a prequel to 2 anyway based on Woody and Bo, so it's a non-issue.

This is literally the first I'm hearing of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

This is literally the first I'm hearing of it.

Wasn’t the original concept of 4 that it was some kind of romantic comedy between Woody and Bo? Because I distinctedly remember being pissed off when the movie was originally announced with said premise that 3’s excellent concluding note was being ruined for what sounded like such an awful idea.

15 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wasn’t the original concept of 4 that it was some kind of romantic comedy between Woody and Bo? Because I distinctedly remember being pissed off when the movie was originally announced with said premise that 3’s excellent concluding note was being ruined for what sounded like such an awful idea.

Yeah, but I thought it was about Woody and Bo being reunited or something.

EDIT: yep, looked it up, it's about Woody and Buzz going on a journey to find Bo.

Making Toy Story 4 a prequel to 3 would be kinda dumb considering how her fate is pretty much spoiled to a certain degree. At best,  they'll find her but she has to stay wherever for 3's continuity,  so I don't even see the point really. Maybe if it could develop more,  but a doomed romance is rather stretching it.

• 1 month later...

Welp, it's the first movie again confirmed, except roles are reversed. Didn't wait over 10 years to see the same movie >->

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

On February 15, 2018 at 4:10 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I love the parallel of the first movie, Bob does heroics in order to feel like he has purpose again and because later in the film, he can't bare to see his family hurt. Now we have Helen doing the heroics while Bob tries to make things work with his family so Helen can succeed.

I loved the expressions in this trailer too, Bob's broken down "I'M RUNNING OUT OF COOKIES" mixed with the expression of a man who looks like he's about to break was priceless. Not to mention his breakdown at Maths. 

The movie parallels are actually what worries me. I worry that this sequel will mainly "just" be a spouse swap. The cinematics look amazing, but the the amount of story that's been revealed in these trailers hasn't really wowed me. And the only Bob parenting joke that made me crack up a little bit was the "MATH IS MATH" scene.

Even Syndrome and Screenslaver seem like they could occupy similar "rich person using resources to reform the world" supervillain niche, even though they obviously appear to have different costume/power gimmicks and opposite motivations. Judging by the cast list released for the movie:

Spoiler

If Winston Deavor is Screenslaver, then his motivation seems to be to empower superheroes than replace them. But they still feel a bit too similar for my taste after a decade long sequel wait since Syndrome wanted to make everybody super with gadgets as the new status-quo.

Although I bet his Winston's sister is pulling the strings. "Evelyn Deavor" sounds like a pun on Evil Endeavor and I can see them having a female twist villain for a female led film. And Winston seems too obvious to be the main villain. He's even voiced by Saul Goodman lol.

I doubt it'll be just a spouse swap, even by the trailers. Pixar isn't dumb, they know that this film has been anticipated from the moment the first one finished its first playing in theaters, and they know every 90s kid and millenial and Gen Zer will be on them with torches and pitchforks should they screw it up. Also, Pixar is known as an Oscar/Golden Globe/award factory that prints out whatever the movie equivalent of double platinums is, and whenever a Pixar movie doesn't do as well as normal (that is, amazingly), they take a bigger hit than most other companies would - because since they're expected to make masterpieces, they get money-is-no-object budgets.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will give Brad Bird the benefit of the doubt. But ironically enough, he just stated in an interview yesterday that he has planned to swap gender roles between Bob and Helen ever since developing the first installment. While the main conflict of the story is what he's constantly struggled with and redone over the past few years.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/16/why-did-incredibles-2-take-so-long-brad-bird-explains-the-sequels-delay

It also mentions how he wants to dig into gender norms, father participation, and women being just as vital in the workplace as men. Which are valid truths and concepts to explore. The idea of Helen becoming the protagonist for a movie is a great move, although I would personally prefer a movie giving the whole family around equal amounts of focus rather than relegating most of them to a B plot at home for half the film like both of these installments seem to love doing. I get that they want to have their cake and eat it too by having both superhero and family drama, and it's extremely difficult to not have a film focus around a specific protagonist. But is having one member recruited into some sort of secret agent program  while the rest of the team is left out of the loop the only premise they can come up with? Seriously?

But I'm really REALLY hoping they go for something more than Bob feeling insecure/emasculated about being stuck at home with the kids and Helen feeling liberated from the typical monotonously inhibiting and unappreciated housewife lifestyle. And even if you get past how cliche that conflict has become, I still always find at least the male side of that conflict so shallowly trivial. Because I've seen that a million times and the moral messages to tell for those dilemmas are obvious nowadays. Not that I'm pretending as if there still isn't clear societal gender disparity, but stay-at-home dads and working moms aren't anything new. Unless, I don't know, you're really deep in American bible belt territory.

I'm sorry, but all I see in these trailers are either what I just described or running gags loosely from the first film.

Oh, and apparently the villain is an electronic media obsession/manipulation metaphor for modern society too, how clever. Although that power can be used very interestingly if handled right, like with the Purple Man's mind control in Jessica Jones (not that Pixar should ever go that dark).

Pixar also knew that a sequel to Monsters Inc was clamored for too. And we all got was every college movie cliche splattered with monster paint. Finding Dory wasn't much better or original. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie's only getting made now because Tomorrowland flopped and Incredibles 2 was always a back pocket nest egg Brad could bring out if he hit hard times. But even so, if he makes it all work out, great! I am praying that I will be proven wrong after waiting over a decade for this film.

• Thumbs Up 2