Awoo.

Is Mania After The 8-Bit Games? Theory

HylianBran

I say this because of how Tails reacts to seeing Classic Sonic from Mania. I'm sure you already know, but if you don't, I'll explain what happened. At the end of Mania, Sonic gets sucked into a portal. This leads into Forces. When Tails (modern) is being attacked by Chaos, Classic Sonic pops out of the portal that he gets sucked into in Mania, and defeats Chaos. Then Tails says "You're that Sonic from another dimension!". Forces is after Generations, and in Generations Classic Sonic is from the past, and those games he is from is the 16 bit games. But this is a different Sonic, so this makes it so it is a different Sonic. I know this is probably just a bunch of stupid crap, but take my word, it might be true.

Sonic_1_MS_title.png220px-Sonic_Mania_(artwork).jpg

The most popular fan theory is that the original timeline went:

16-bit games -> Sonic 4 -> Modern games up to Generations -> Sonic Generations

In Sonic Generations, the past Sonic comes from a time after the 16-bit games but before Sonic 4.  When he (and classic Eggman) returned with their knowledge from the future, it created a new timeline where they (or particularly Eggman) altered their actions, and Sonic Mania happened instead of Sonic 4.

As this new past (Classic) Sonic is now from a history different from Modern Sonic's own, he could be said to be from a seperate dimension where things played out differently.

Of course, there's no reasonable way Tails could just "know" this.  Even with your 8-bit theory, there's no reason for Tails to not recognise Classic as the same younger Sonic they met before (and clearly he is, as he too is not surprised to meet Tails and Modern Sonic again).  The truth of the matter is that the above is only the most popular fanon way of explaining the plot holes.  Sonic Team probably didn't think about it this deeply, and more likely they just wanted to retcon Classic Sonic's backstory so they don't have to deal with time travel stuff every time they want him to show up in a Modern Sonic game (which I imagine, due to Generations' popularity, they want to leave the door open to be able to do).

Anyway, the 8-bit games don't necessarily take place in a seperate timeline.  They have a bunch of elements that clash with the 16-bit games but... hell, so do the 16-bit games themselves.  Really, apart from the chaos emerald count confusing things a bit, they can easily just be seen as other adventures that occur at no specific point.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, blueblur98 said:

so would that mean sonic has canonically visited green hill 6 times?

He probably visits every other weekend, or something. :D

Are you implying that Classic Sonic from Generations and Forces are two different being, with different backgrounds?

If so, I don't like this theory at all. Good theory should either

1 Fix the plotholes
2 Simplify the timeline
3 At very least be interesting concept, create interesting possibilities

I fail to see how your theory accomplished either of this goals.

Unless I misunderstood you, your explanation is hard to understand).

The simplest fix of all: "Dimension" is here being used to refer to time in its sometimes theoretical capacity as a fourth dimension accompanying the three dimensions of space, and thus the actual significance is merely a complicated way of describing Classic Sonic as being from another time.  Notice how the term "dimension" is only used by Tails and Eggman, the two most intelligent and science-conscious characters in the series.

I suppose the 8-bit games are in the same main canon as the Genesis/Megadrive ones, Sonic 1 8-bit is even the same game story-wise (with different zones but the same key events), so I think they are in the same timeline/dimension.

Anyway, there are a couple of details that may support the OP's theory, such as the lighter shade of blue of Sonic in Mania (that happens to be very similar to the shade it had in Sonic 1 8-bit) and the presence of the Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 8-bit during the Metal Sonic bossfight.

BTW I think the shade of blue is meaningless, it may even be Dragonball's fault once again, since in Dragonball Super, in order to separate present Trunks from future Trunks, they changed his hair color from purple to blue; yo know that Sonic Team likes to rip off Dragonball.

I've heard theories that in Mania's universe the 16-bit, 8-bit, and even classic spinoff games happened. Which accounts for all the references.

(e.g. the Silver Sonics from game gear, the Sonic the Fighters characters)

57 minutes ago, FFWF said:

The simplest fix of all: "Dimension" is here being used to refer to time in its sometimes theoretical capacity as a fourth dimension accompanying the three dimensions of space, and thus the actual significance is merely a complicated way of describing Classic Sonic as being from another time.  Notice how the term "dimension" is only used by Tails and Eggman, the two most intelligent and science-conscious characters in the series.

I think it's pretty likely this isn't what Sega intended, but I'm going to cling to it anyway. This would make me so happy lol.

I fully admit this is completely stupid crap that I said up there and I'm a dumb idiot for it. You guys are smart and I'm full of crap.  

9 minutes ago, HylianBran said:

I fully admit this is completely stupid crap that I said up there and I'm a dumb idiot for it. You guys are smart and I'm full of crap.  

Pff, don't take this all too seriously!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, FFWF said:

The simplest fix of all: "Dimension" is here being used to refer to time in its sometimes theoretical capacity as a fourth dimension

But it's not

Heck, at this point if he's just from the past then Eggman should already know about the Phanom Ruby.

13 hours ago, Iko said:

BTW I think the shade of blue is meaningless, it may even be Dragonball's fault once again, since in Dragonball Super, in order to separate present Trunks from future Trunks, they changed his hair color from purple to blue; yo know that Sonic Team likes to rip off Dragonball.

That's not why they did that. Trunks' hair is just an inconsistency that just now decided to fix.

I think the "Sonic from another dimension" was the worst thing they could have called him. So much confusion , they should have just gone with "Sonic from the past" or something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2018-02-16 at 3:38 PM, HylianBran said:

Eh, I liked it. I may not personally subscribe to the theory, but I liked it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2018 at 2:30 AM, Eurisko said:

I think the "Sonic from another dimension" was the worst thing they could have called him. So much confusion , they should have just gone with "Sonic from the past" or something. 

Iizuka and Co. insist on separating the Genesis games from the 3D ones. Cynically, I say it was driven more out of bitterness and territorial behavior than others.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/15/2018 at 4:05 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

Do you have any other evidence? Like stuff from the 8-Bit games being in Mania?

On 2/15/2018 at 4:05 PM, HylianBran said:

Good point Sgt Nate V

I have some well some of the enemies in sonic mania have only been in the 8 bit games.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, NicoBoi said:

I have some well some of the enemies in sonic mania have only been in the 8 bit games.

Which ones?

• Thumbs Up 1