Awoo.

Sonic Racing Rumors - "It's happening, FOOLS!"

Polkadi~☆

I think a Sonic-only racer would be pretty neat, but only if they don't completely waste all the potential that could come from it. A game like this would be the perfect opportunity to bring back lesser-known locations that we haven't seen in a while. Imagine racing in tracks based on Spring Yard, Wacky Workbench, Grand Metropolis, Eggmanland, and those are just off the top of my head. The list goes on and on.

Sonic has so many cool and interesting locations that often get shoved aside for the same boring places we've seen a hundred times already. Nobody wants to play in Green Hill, Chemical Plant or Seaside Hill again. We're tired of it. Everyone's tired of it. Knowing the state of the Sonic brand since 2010 though, I imagine the selection of tracks would be mostly composed of tracks based on all six locations in Forces. But a man can dream, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering all the love Sumo put into the other SEGA franchises, I can only imagine all the fanservice they can add here, references to a lot of Sonic games, that could rival what was in Runners! Obviously Sumo loves more the rest of Sega than Sonic, but still, they are fair developers.

As for Sonic in a kart, I mean, he IS the first character so it doesn't make sense that he's the exception and everyone else is in a kart.

But I could see a Sonic-on-foot unlockable this time, or we'll have to be fine that Super Sonic is his special move (if it is).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic on foot makes no sense from a gameplay standpoint unless they make him bigger. Drifting , tricks, reversing , breaking all would just seem to weird

I'm fine with Green Hill returning because the game is a spin-off and Green Hill is iconic, it's like the tracks near Peach's castle in Mario Kart, or the Rainbow Road, every game has one and it's not even for nostalgia reasons, it's more to represent and to be coherent to the image of the franchise.

But I'm OK with ONLY Green Hill returning, I definitely don't want another Chemical Plant or any other already remastered in recent games zone (I already said it BTW).

The last 2 games used Seaside Hill instead of Green Hill, but Seaside Hill is just Green Hill on sea, so I wouldn't count it as a different zone. They could make Windy Hill, it's still Green Hill to me... anyway I think it will be the original Green Hill this time, I have this feeling.

Bonus points if the game brings back some zones from the Gamegear games and/or from Dimps' games (Advance and Rush), I can see Music Plant replacing a Samba de Amigo/Space Channel 5 track, for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's also possible we may see all-new stages, like in Mario Kart, and not just old zones.

However I disagree with those who say there would not be variety without the other Sega franchises, at least in stages, there is a lot of variety, I can agree with the roster because they are all mobians, in fact I doubt there won't be guest characters from iconic videogames (even Mega Man would be great), or a couple of SEGA characters. It helps selling the game.

We know SEGA cares about some of them, maybe not the oldest ones, but remember that they've had Super Monkey Ball, Persona 5, Nights into Dreams, Jet Set Radio and Puyo Puyo costumes in Forces, plus in the last couple of years, they did events on Sonic Runners featuring Phantasy Star, Puyo Puyo and NiGHTS, with short episodes and buddies dedicated to them. So why not add some of them here too? I think this will be the case.

• Fist Bump 1

16 hours ago, Mayor D said:

If Sumo are making it, they won't allow the game to be automated to the degree Forces is.

Yeah and even then the only time they did was with the first ASR game when using your special where you were forced to follow in line with the track (meaning no shortcuts), but then in Transformed they scrapped that from happening again.

To be honest, I think its better as Sonic only. Though admittedly, Riders was never Sonic only, but "Sonic... and a couple guests." They could do the same here, have like 15 Sonic characters and 3 or so guests. Most of the tracks would be Sonic, and there'd be some nice references to many games instead of just reusing the same few like they've done in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

Imagine if they included EVERYBODY from the games ,no exclusions. That would  be quite a cast.

Undoubtedly that wouldn't happen, there's too many side characters. But yeah, there's plenty of good candidates if they go back far enough.

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

Imagine if they included EVERYBODY from the games ,no exclusions. That would  be quite a cast.

Can't wait to play as Elise.

• Promotion 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 3

Just now, Jango said:

Can't wait to play as Elise.

She'd be in the back seat of an ornate limo with the priest from the opening cutscene driving up front. All Star Move can be the flames of disaster.

Did I just 

• Promotion 3
  • Chuckle 4

7 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

She'd be in the back seat of an ornate limo with the priest from the opening cutscene driving up front. All Star Move can be the flames of disaster.

Did I just 

Her super move (I guess we can't call it All-Star Move anymore?) will be kissing the other racers.

sonic_the_hedgehog___2006___by_hinata707

Also, the President from Sonic Adventure 2 has to be playable or no buy from me.

• Chuckle 1

Seriously now, I think I'd be awesome to actually have BADNIKS playable. Like, 3 iconic badniks in the same kart and what not. A Grounder driving a big Motobug and a Slicer as a the co-pilot.

The people at Sumo are incredibly creative, I can totally see they coming up with an idea like this. Because frankly, a roster made 99% of furries would be so boring.

THE GUN TRUCK COULD BE A SECRET RACER.

ALSO, THE HARD BOILED HEAVIES.

SUMO PLEASE.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Undoubtedly that wouldn't happen, there's too many side characters. But yeah, there's plenty of good candidates if they go back far enough.

As a base game they couldn't , but this is the era of DLC where there would be very little limitations. They could quite literally include everyone if they wanted. You could have proper good Vs evil team races for example. Heck, Chao race mini-kart game anyone? Breed your own racer even :)

I completely forgot about the Hard Boiled Heavies! We've already got some vehicles down for them (the helicopter, crazy Motobug) and their all stars can just be their main attacks from Mania.

Regarding the argument about Sonic being on foot or not, I don't see much of an issue with one character having a much smaller size than the others - so long as they also include other, similar on-foot racers, like maybe Blaze. I find the idea of a disparity between different classes of 'vehicles' on the same track very interesting in racing games, which is why I'm fond of the MX vs ATV and Motorstorm series. I remember MX vs ATV Unleashed went even crazier with the concept by also allowing helicopters and planes to participate in races with the various kinds of land vehicles, complete with their own unique controls and flight models! Motorstorm instead focused much more on the interactions between land vehicles, and how (for example) tearing up the dirt with a monster truck would alter the terrain for smaller vehicles like ATVs and bikes.

The first developer diary for S&SASR described how the first prototype for the game had Sonic on foot, and with vehicles of wildly differing sizes. I think this new game would be an excellent opportunity to revisit the concept and try to get it working again. The 'hovercraft' fliers were a good solution to dealing with extreme wing width, so they could do the same thing in this game. On-foot character drifting hasn't been an issue since Unleashed, and games like NieR, NieR: Automata and Final Fantasy XV all had living mounts capable of drifting, so that wouldn't be an issue any more, either. Then again, I can't recall any Sonic characters who have mounts like that, so it wouldn't be an issue for this game, anyway.

While I'd like to see HBH myself, I definitely don't want them to be like Koopalings in MK8, as in separate entities. IMO they're too similar in terms of looks to make them all completely separate characters. Maybe treat them as "pallete swaps", like how Smash did with said Koopalings

• Thumbs Up 1

My lord the amount of. Consider the technique of snaking. On foot it just does not make sense and would seem rather odd and dumb honestly

37 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

While I'd like to see HBH myself, I definitely don't want them to be like Koopalings in MK8, as in separate entities. IMO they're too similar in terms of looks to make them all completely separate characters. Maybe treat them as "pallete swaps", like how Smash did with said Koopalings

Or maybe have all 5 teaming up?

That would be fun.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

My lord the amount of. Consider the technique of snaking. On foot it just does not make sense and would seem rather odd and dumb honestly

Not necessarily an advocate of Sonic being out of kart, but it's not too difficult to imagine Sonic drifting around in a spindash as he does in Generations. Just takes a little imagination. 

• Thumbs Up 1