Awoo.

Sonic Racing Rumors - "It's happening, FOOLS!"

Polkadi~☆

Just now, Mayor D said:

Or we could have equal representation in the roster without it being a poor mans political stunt?

If they cared about equal representation then there would have been more than 6 out of 25 female drivers in transformed.  

16 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

If they cared about equal representation then there would have been more than 6 out of 25 female drivers in transformed.  

Ah ok.

So it's not ok one way.

But is the other.

Gotcha.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

The Sonic universe really hasn't got that many females. If we had, let's say the standard male Sonic characters in it: Sonic, Tails, Knux, Eggman, Metal, Shadow Silver, Vector, Espio, Charmy and Classic Sonic; then we already have 11 characters.

We can not come up with 11 female characters unless we use also the most unimportant characters like: Amy, Rouge, Blaze, Cream, Vanilla, Sticks, Tikal, Marine, Elise, Maria and Shade.

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Ah ok.

So it's not ok one way.

But is the other.

Gotcha.

Sure, helps balance out all the previous male-dominated games.

Just now, Mayor D said:

Ah ok.

So it's not ok one way.

But is the other.

Gotcha.

A lot of games have a mostly male roster so I don't see why a mostly female roster would be bad.

You know now that I think about it, all these toys showing Sonic in a car must be pretty obvious confirmation that it's not an on-foot racing game. That's kinda sad.

My problem with mostly female casts is that too often they exist for fanservice. It doesn't help that many of them hide behind female empowerment.

And let's imagine an all-girls Sonic racer for a moment. Even if we add the three boys Fire-N-Space mentioned, that's still a pretty small cast unless we bring in really obscure characters like Witchcart and Lumina, or even create new characters. Most of the characters I like are male, so how do you think it would make me feel to see my favorites get shafted in favor of nobodies that I had to remind myself existed or newcomers who already made a bad first impression by replacing said favorites, just to prove some stupid point about gender equality!

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

A lot of games have a mostly male roster so I don't see why a mostly female roster would be bad.

Try some My Little Pony game. I think Sonic is a franchise for boys mainly.

7 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

You know now that I think about it, all these toys showing Sonic in a car must be pretty obvious confirmation that it's not an on-foot racing game. That's kinda sad.

A Sonic on foot racing game would actually be a good excuse to not put the other Sega characters in it, but if it is really just a regular kart racing game, but just with Sonic I see no reason why they had to kick out the other Sega All-Stars. Unless they did this to save money. I mean look at Forces. You can tell that it had a way lower budget compare to Unleashed, Colors and Generations with shorter levels, reused level aesthetics, no cinematic cutscenes, an over all shorter gameplay and a lazy written story. And this was an anniversary game for the main series lineup.

How can you guys really think, that this game will turn out good? Sega will probably just reuse level elements from Lost World and Forces and make a new tracks out of it and will probably also use the render models from Forces, the Olympic games and Lost World

So to summarise my responses;

More even gender distribution in Transformed - Theoretically perfectly feasible, although the question is who would have been able to be added that was recognisable (I guess Blaze from Streets of Rage, Arle from Puyo Pop and Tyris Flare from Golden Axe would be a start), doable with the resources available to them at the time and permitted by SEGA. 

Mostly female Sonic game (in the sense that the game is one with a large cast like a racer) - Not feasible at all. Taking every female character who's been used since 2010, you have a grand total of seven females to choose from (Amy, Rouge, Cream, Blaze, Wave, Zeena, Sticks), and some are dubious in terms of future use. After that you're scraping the barrel for characters that are pretty much irrelevant.

A future Sonic Kart racer will still have a better gender ratio than CTR and CNK though, that's for sure (one female in a cast of 15 and 16 characters respectively. Being Coco is suffering). 

6 minutes ago, Swing said:

And this was an anniversary game for the main series lineup.

No it wasn't. It was revealed on an anniversary, but the game itself is not an anniversary game. They've made it clear in interviews that it's just a stepping stone to the 30th anniversary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Swing said:

A Sonic on foot racing game would actually be a good excuse to not put the other Sega characters in it, but if it is really just a regular kart racing game, but just with Sonic I see no reason why they had to kick out the other Sega All-Stars. Unless they did this to save money. I mean look at Forces. You can tell that it had a way lower budget compare to Unleashed, Colors and Generations with shorter levels, reused level aesthetics, no cinematic cutscenes, an over all shorter gameplay and a lazy written story. And this was an anniversary game for the main series lineup.

How can you guys really think, that this game will turn out good? Sega will probably just reuse level elements from Lost World and Forces and make a new tracks out of it and will probably also use the render models from Forces, the Olympic games and Lost World

1. There's no confirmed reason why Forces turned out the way it did. You can criticize a product, but not it's development cycle when we have literally zero testimony as to what went on there. Claiming that just because something's got a problem or is missing something you wanted means it has a "way lower budget" is just going to spread misinformation.

2. Sumo isn't Sonic Team. Even disregarding ST's inconsistency, if Sumo didn't pull shit like that before, it's unlikely they're going to now.

3. Can you stop with this "I know how SEGA and the entire fanbase think, god you're all so stupid for not agreeing" act? It's irritating, nobody buys it, and we're all tired of it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I’d like a release that coincides with a 2k remaster the other two. Maybe an ultimate version for 80 bucks. 

On the subject of this game, I’m actually okay with there only being Sonic characters. Sonic has a huge cast of characters that, while not particularly well written (or sometimes not written at all), stand out visually and would make for an appropriately diverse racer. 

Example:

Lightweight - Charmy Bee; Chao; Flickies; Wisps; Omochao; Cream; Zik

Light-Middle - Orbot; Cubot; Tails; Amy; Sticks; Marine; Chaos Zero; Tikal; Classic Sonic; Jet; 

Middleweight - Sonic; Knuckles; Blaze; Shadow; Espio; Rouge; Mighty; Wave; Silver, Zeena, Zor

Middle-Heavy - Egg Pawn; Eggman; Metal Sonic; Storm; Bark; Zazz

Heavyweight - Big; Zavok; E-123 Omega; Vector; Zomom; 

As for the gameplay, I think I’d prefer something less hectic than Transformed, but I dunno. I just want to burn rubber and race through some iconic stages. 

Didn't the video about the new merchandise mention "rare buildable tracks"? I'm not sure they mean rare tracks that will be in the game, but mostly rare merchandise, however you never know...

I've pretty much come to terms with this being real and I think they should add in Radiant Emerald as the final stage.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm a bit late for this news, but I'd like to say that I'm actually glad only Sonic characters are making it in this time. I don't care much about the other Sega characters, but that's just me.

I'm just now realizing that I was depressed over nothing, because the toys I thought were for this game from those articles were just pictures of ASRT cars, so there's no direct proof that we're still doing cars here. Not that that makes it really likely it won't be cars anyway, but y'know.

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I leave for a day or two and next thing used is a discussion about females to male characters . How  why?

Because gender politics is a heated issue in media, especially gaming. It's not surprising that it finds it's way to Sonic sometimes.

Personally, I think the best course of action wouldn't to be to include female characters over male ones for balance, but to treat both with the respect they deserve, and in my personal preference, make new characters if we really need it that bad. Riders and R weren't afraid to do it, and Sumo makes better games than both of those, so why not let them take a crack at it? Between Infinite, Tangle, Rough and Tumble, I've been enjoying the influx of new characters recently (especially since those first two are so cool-looking) and I want it to continue for at least a little while longer.

I doubt they're going to want to make new characters for this instalment to be honest, especially if it follows the more traditional karter style. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they promote both Sonic Mania and Forces. They need to go all out in this one, have levels from unappreciated games like the Advance and Rush series, and even characters! Who would be against the return of classic characters? The Hooligans are in Mania, why not bring Mighty, Ray and even Honey back? :P

• Thumbs Up 5

41 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

I hope they promote both Sonic Mania and Forces. They need to go all out in this one, have levels from unappreciated games like the Advance and Rush series, and even characters! Who would be against the return of classic characters? The Hooligans are in Mania, why not bring Mighty, Ray and even Honey back? :P

Too bad Emerl exploded, it would have been a nice character to bring back... it has been rebuilt as Gmerl but it's way less iconic and less known than its former version.

It would be nice if they expand his story a bit in a new game, and make it transform back into Emerl using the power of the emeralds or something.

11 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I'm just now realizing that I was depressed over nothing, because the toys I thought were for this game from those articles were just pictures of ASRT cars, so there's no direct proof that we're still doing cars here. Not that that makes it really likely it won't be cars anyway, but y'know.

Because gender politics is a heated issue in media, especially gaming. It's not surprising that it finds it's way to Sonic sometimes.

Personally, I think the best course of action wouldn't to be to include female characters over male ones for balance, but to treat both with the respect they deserve, and in my personal preference, make new characters if we really need it that bad. Riders and R weren't afraid to do it, and Sumo makes better games than both of those, so why not let them take a crack at it? Between Infinite, Tangle, Rough and Tumble, I've been enjoying the influx of new characters recently (especially since those first two are so cool-looking) and I want it to continue for at least a little while longer.

The way I see it, this is a compilation game. I’m going to be neutral on gender politics and say that if it’s an issue, then it’s one caused not by this kart racer so much as the series it’s representing. Why should we put blame on the all-stars game for simply featuring the characters that exist? It’s not this game’s fault that male characters outnumber females like 6 to 1. 

6 hours ago, Iko said:

Too bad Emerl exploded, it would have been a nice character to bring back... it has been rebuilt as Gmerl but it's way less iconic and less known than its former version.

It would be nice if they expand his story a bit in a new game, and make it transform back into Emerl using the power of the emeralds or something.

I've always figured if the Gizoid were to show up again they'd just revert him to Emerl without explanation. In an interview they'd just say he was always the same robot and he just went back to how he looked before. Emerl has at least survived enough to still be on Sonic Channel (though Gamma and Marine are too, so you know) and be featured as a costume for the Mario and Sonic series.

• Thumbs Up 1