Awoo.

Favorite Platformer Soundtrack

HylianBran

Here any platformer (examples: Megaman, Kirby, Sonic, Mario, etc). It can involve remixes, and remasters. My favorite is personally either Mega Man 2, X, Sonic 3&Knuckles, Kirby Super Star, or Kirby Planet Robobot.

images.jpeg

Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best platformer soundtrack of all time, IMO. The instrumentation, the melodies, the ambience...David Wise is a certifiable genius.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mystical Ninja Goemon 2, either the Snes one

Or the N64 one

(These are remixes from a Pachinko machine, the originals are pretty cool too)

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic soundtracks overall are definitely among my very favorites. The music is one of the many things that made me love the series so much. The Sonic 3 & Knuckles soundtrack is my personal favorite from the series, but I could go into detail about the soundtracks to most of the other Sonic games and why they're all so great.

Outside of Sonic, I'm going to quote PC the Hedgehog, as I pretty much share this same exact opinion.

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best platformer soundtrack of all time, IMO. The instrumentation, the melodies, the ambience...David Wise is a certifiable genius.

The DKC2 soundtrack is so good! It's so atmospheric, yet so catchy at the same time. Lockjaw's Saga, Forest Interlude, Flight of the Zinger, Hot-Head Bop, and especially Stickerbrush Symphony... it's all amazing stuff. Stickerbrush Symphony is one of the top-played songs in my library because it's just such perfect music to drive to in my car.

Some other favorites of mine are the soundtracks to Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, Super Mario World, Banjo-Kazooie, and Mega Man 3 (which I actually liked a lot more than 2 because I'm weird).

Spoiler

maniac.jpg.5ae5173b17bb7086965dc9aa02b52cc6.jpg

OK, no, that's cheating. In all seriousness, for non-Sanic stuff I'd have to gush over the other mascot I grew up with:

And of course:

And you know the best part? Josh Mancell ( one of the composers) has been uploading pre-console versions of this goodness (that is, how the music was before it had to be compressed to fit on a CD alongside the game) on his Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/joshmancell/sets/music-for-video-games-crash

EDIT: Thanks Youtube for ruining my post, just pretend that those three embeds lead to separate tracks (Turtle Woods, The Eel Deal, and Rock It, respectively).

Edited by Harkofthewaa
Goddammit, Youtube
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking about this all day to be frank. I kept thinking "what's my favorite platformer?" and it kind of came to me after a bit. So I guess the tl;dr version is...

...American McGee's Alice.

I love horror themes, I love music boxes, and I especially love Alice in Wonderland. The soundtrack gives a sense of dread and mystery while keeping a childish wonder to it in a sense. It does lose its childish tone the deeper you move into Wonderland to give a hint about Alice's own mental state.

Oh and they got Chris Vrenna to compose the soundtrack. Vrenna is someone who's inside of the music scene as he worked with NiN, Marylin Manson, among others which is neat. He's usually someone in the industrial music scene but seeing how different Alice's soundtrack is from the norm of that scene does show he wants to expand his borders.

But yeah I just like spooky music ok? I guess its kind of a shallow answer at the end of the day but I did want to at least talk about it a little. As a side note they didn't get Chris Vrenna to compose the entirety of its sequel, Madness Returns which is a shame because it does have a different in musical composition. Not to say its bad or anything (I do like it) it kind of lacks what the original did in a sense.

Eh I'm probably being nitpicky for no good reason. I still love it though so I won't complain.

...The 3DS version is a platformer so it kinda counts even if the console versions are dungeon crawlers... right?

Come on, it's got Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, a full orchestra and KAOOOOOS! What more do you need?