Awoo.

What do you think the next sonic game will be?

NicoBoi

So I have herd rumors about a Sonic Heroes HD game but I don't think they are going to make that, now it would be nice if they did don't get me wrong but I just do not think they will. Also some people think that there is going to be a Shadow the Hedgehog HD but lets be honest that is never going to happen. So what do you think is going to happen?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Forces was probably the last game in the transitional period we've been in for the last couple years. I'd predict the next game is probably going to be closer to Lost World than it is to the boost games, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the same as either of them.

Other than that, there's literally nothing we can be sure of other than it's probably in development right now and has been since before Forces.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

I really hope there will be a Mania 2. If not I wish Adventure 3. While Adventure 3 has a 1% chance of being made, I would like it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

I like to think that a bigger game than Forces is in development, and Forces was just a test for some things. I've seen others think this too. 

I really want more HD ports of some older games, like Heroes, Shadow, and the first two Riders games! Maybe that rumored Sonic racing game will happen, and this'll tide us over till the next main game comes. Hopefully we'll get a game tie-in to the movie! That'd be pretty awesome :D

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

im not interested in sonic team's games anymore after lost world and forces. give team mania all the freedom they want and let them create a game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

19 minutes ago, Wrz said:

Hopefully another sprite based 2D Sonic game with TRUE classic physics and level design (à la Sonic Mania).

Why does it have to be sprite based, or even 2d? Not all of us are classic fans, you know.

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Probably not very good

JK, probably the racing game, then a Mania sequel. The release rate of Sonic Team projects has grinded to a halt over the past few years. They released at least one major Sonic game every year from 2005 - 2011, all while developing the Hedgehog Engine. Yet all we've gotten from them in the past 6 years is Lost World and Forces. Wouldn't expect another game from them until 2019 tbh.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm surprised that no one in this thread said it will be a movie tie-in. Which it will. That, if we don't take into account the Mania 2 that's most certainly coming.

And I'm not sure why people keep bringing up HD remakes, Sega is not interested in those, maybe it's a fan wish, but they only pander the classic fanbase, so I could only see remakes of the classics, Mania is already a bit like that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

I'm thinking along the lines of a movie tie-in as well. If that's the case I just hope it's not made by Sonic Team, especially as most movie tie-ins turn out shit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

A movie tie-in makes the most sense. And because of it, I already assume it will be a weak game, as I don't expect the movie to be any good, in the tradition of all videogames movies.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

A Tails solo 3d game (Maybe a Metroidvania style game with his power-ups from Tails Adventure and his Energy Ball Blaster from Sonic Battle, plus the Tornado, Whirlwind, and Sea Fox, and T-Pup [Or a main game series equivalent]).

Here it is if you never seen the Energy Ball Blaster (Also known as the Arm Cannon):

5a8d9c24eb637_download(1).png.2a9ff43ba4d7f6f476a94e1391ff8c7c.png

This would be a dream game of mine!

• Promotion 1

Pretty sure the topic is called what you think is going to happen, not what you know has a very low chance of happening. I.e. Adventure 3, character spin-offs, Sonic Team being fired

Beyond probably another 2-and 3 quarters-D Boost I have no clue. I think that's most likely. Probably a Mania sequel at some point. Maybe a licensed movie tie-in, or the release of Sonic Team's next game will coincide with the movie but not be connected to it.

Edit: Also the racing game, but that's the very very near future

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

Not Adventure 3, and I really hope we never do get Adventure 3. Regardless of the quality of the game, the mystical status surrounding the name means that some people are going to be infuriated at the final product no matter what.

• Promotion 1

Hopefully Mania 2. They'd be fools not to take advantage of Mania's success, and unless they've secretly been working on a second game in parallel with Forces it's probably going to be a while before we see another 3D Sonic.

Or a racing game if those rumors pan out, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Most likely a 3d racing game to much points to it. Though I find it sad segas only safe side is mania. A 2d game carries little risk and is cheap to make.  I'd be nice if Sega could do like Nintendo and be able to make food 2d gsmes and 3d games instead of .......if I see that chuckie cheese commercial one more time!

• Promotion 1

Sonic meets Leafy.

I'm sorry. If it's not the Sonic/SEGA racer that's been on and off "confirmed", then I don't know what it could be.

• Promotion 1

Whatever it is, I just hope it isn't shit. If it's Mania 2, then we already know it won't be shit. It will be the shit. If it's another Forces-esque game in the sense of being all kinds of lackbuster-automated-mediocrity, then sign me the heck off this time, I won't be poking shit for another year, trust me, it will be good for both of us.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mania expansion pack before an actual sequel. And then something that, given their track record, something that tries to address plot holes at the cost of everything else, asking more questions than it answers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What I want to happen:

Two or three years from now they release a fully 3D game that mixes the best elements from all 3 major gameplay styles. The physics from the classics, the open level design from the adventures, and the pure sense of speed from the boost titles. Complete with a well written story (hopefully by Flynn), a killer soundtrack of both vocal and instrumental tunes, and fully utilizes the system(s) it's on. Before that, hopefully Sega lets another studio make a nice spin-off title that's good fun. Also, of course, Mania 2 comes out (to the shock of no one) with completely original content that makes it feel more like a completely new experience while retaining that same passion for the classics. Hopefully with completed level transitions and Classic Sonic's full move-set available all at once too this time. the wall jump would be fucking nice too

Oh, and a PC release of Unleashed somewhere in there.

What will probably happen:

Sometime within the next two years Sega will release Mania 2 that will probably still be ok but won't really try to do anything much in the way of new. Thus making the gameplay style feel older than it already is. There will probably be more new levels but still expect to see some returning ones (that still aren't Ice Cap).

ST will also release another game around the same time that shows how little they've learned from Forces and will probably revert back to LW's special blend of stiff platforming, terrible controls, and bland art-style. There will be even more 2D levels and classic assets because "y'all like mania right lol" and it'll all be wrapped in a story so dead that it'll make Generation's narrative seem like a gift from above... if there even is one.

Also, Heroes will somehow get a re-release over every other title...

• Thumbs Up 4

Hopefully it's not anything boost related, since Sega milked the damn concept dry at this point. 

Maybe a Mania 2, with some new zones, bosses, and a new story? Of course not, Sega's just gonna make 99% of the stages old stuff again.

Or, hey, as farfetched of a concept it is, maybe a SA3? Like, Sega's kinda leaning in that direction with Chaos and a lot of Adventure-esque stuff in Forces and all.

But, it seems like Sega's planning on making a Sonic-only SART. So, Sonic Drift 3 then?