Awoo.

What do you think the next sonic game will be?

NicoBoi

In terms of Sonic releases in general? Probably the rumored (kart) racing game. That and/or another mobile game.

In terms of mainline Sonic releases? The most likely scenario IMO is that we're probably going to get another Sonic Team game that's either yet another "3D" (actually mostly 2D) Boost game or another "re-invent the wheel" game like Lost World. With probably Green Hill or a blatant Green Hill clone and might have classic Sonic reappear as a separate character somewhere. In either case, both hypothetical entries will probably be another forgettable heap of rubbish.

There is also maybe a good chance we could get a Mania sequel announced, but the radio silence from Sega about the game since its release has me not holding my breath as of this writing.

Also, if there's going to be a Mania 2, I hope all of the new levels have their own distinct themes. As much as I loved Press Mania in Sonic Mania (It's my favorite level), it's disappointing that those level themes had to be combined into one level, rather than two levels with two unique acts each. 

Better yet, make Mania 2 all original levels anyway. No more repeats. Please, for the love of god, no more Green Hill.

I would honestly want a game created with the dedication, creativeness, and the passion that was similarly put into Sonic Mania, regardless of it be a Modern or Classic style. 

That is what I hope the next Sonic game would be, not mattering who necessarily is developing said game.

6 minutes ago, Joellui said:

I would honestly want a game created with the dedication, creativeness, and the passion that was similarly put into Sonic Mania, regardless of it be a Modern or Classic style. 

That is what I hope the next Sonic game would be, not mattering who necessarily is developing said game.

Well that clearly rules out Sonic Team tho. Even if we give them the benefit of the doubt and say they still have dedication and passion, they clearly lack creativeness.

Sonic Mania 2. Probably not this year but...maybe next year? Fingers crossed! 

Also wouldn’t be surprised if the next new Sonic Team game is a movie tie-in for the Paramount flick, which is coming out November next year. I hope they have taken the complaints about Sonic Forces to heart and have improved the gameplay and story. Game length too. AND NO CLASSIC SONIC DAMN IT! 

Then again, this is Sonic Team. 

Hopefully they'll release a new Modern game that I can at least hope has level design styles and physics identical to those of Unleashed, Colors, amd Generations. As those three games have the best examples of how Boost should be done, I think the Boost gameplay should be kept. It should also be kept for the sake of the series finally having some sort of consistency. Also, NO CLASSIC SONIC. It was great having him back for Gens and Dash, but those were only one time occasions. He needs to stay in the Classic universe where he belongs.

They should also have Ian Flynn write the story. To me, Pontac and Graff weren't bad at first, but I don't like their writing anymore. Though he has had some flaws with writing for the comics, Flynn still knows how to write great Sonic stories. I'll take him over the two writers we've had since 2010.

As for a new Classic game possibly coming thanks to Mania's commercial and critical success, they'll probably release a Mania 2. However, I don't trust Christian Whitehead with full control of the games. I do appreciate his work for the franchise, but he seems to be only experienced with 2D and doesn't appear to have any real vision for Modern Sonic, at least in the context of 3D. He's better off being in control of only the Classic portion of the series' game lineup, if we do get any future Classic releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like Sega to put Whitehead in next Modern Sonic game team as an assistant, just to see what he could do. Maybe directing the next game would be too much after Mania's success, but I would just check what he could add, and depending on the results, maybe lead the next game.

https://medium.com/the-cube/shun-nakamura-and-takash-iizuka-on-sonic-forces-sonic-mania-and-sonic-adventure-3-981aaaa77b67

Here’s an interview with Iizuka and Shun Nakamura from last August. I tried to steer a little clear from articles about Forces and Mania prior to release to keep the experiences as blind as I could, so apologies if this has been brought up before. This part caught my eye.

Eventually, you did get to work on a much-loved Sonic game, Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. Originally there was going to be a lot more RPG elements in that game, do you think you’ll ever revisit that idea and make a Sonic RPG? You’ve got the perfect engine for it now.

Iizuka: [Laughs] No comment.

I could be attempting to read 10 layers into nothing, but we can’t argue that the nature of “no comment” often brings with it a little bit of alluring ambiguity, justified or not. There is a note mentioning that the answers have been edited a little for clarity, so it’s possible Iizuka may have just laughed and literally gave no comment afterwards, or was just responding to the question in a jokey way. Is it conceivable that there may be something in the future with regard to an RPG like Sonic game?

The only thing I'm certain of is that it'll be Sonic only, wisps will return, and that it'll probably make me sad.

On 2/26/2018 at 1:40 AM, molul said:

I'd like Sega to put Whitehead in next Modern Sonic game team as an assistant, just to see what he could do. Maybe directing the next game would be too much after Mania's success, but I would just check what he could add, and depending on the results, maybe lead the next game.

Whitehead said in the past that he is not interested in Sonic 3D games.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

Whitehead said in the past that he is not interested in Sonic 3D games.

Molul said Modern Sonic, not 3d Sonic.
Modern Sonic is 80% 2d and 20% watch pretty things happen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Bowing to Classic games was a popular trend, but with Mania and it's inevitable sequels, putting Classic in next games sounds dumb, especially after last fiasco.

Honestly, it's hard to predict Sonic Team's next move, so why even bother? Did any of you in 2012 could guess anything about Lost World? Gameplay, tubes, Galaxy inspirations?

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Molul said Modern Sonic, not 3d Sonic.
Modern Sonic is 80% 2d and 20% watch pretty things happen.

Thanks for the correction.

It would be interesting a Sonic game created by Amusement Vision I want Sonic be interpreted by Takaya Kuroda. :P

Literally no idea. This is the most unpredictable franchise ever, in a bad way. Sega picks up on complaints the way politicians pick up on memes.