Awoo.

Most Annoying Sonic Characters

HylianBran

On 1 May 2018 at 8:04 PM, DabigRG said:

Wait, that's including Team Dark? :lol: 

Especially Team Dark because they were the ones actually trying to be taken seriously doing this narmy cornfest.

On 1 May 2018 at 8:04 PM, DabigRG said:

Uh...how so? I don't think I get/remember the context.

Spark Of Life. NICOLE calls out Sally for pulling a reckless stunt at the start of the arc. When she does the same to help Sally during the climax, Sally calls her out and NICOLE is made to point out the hypocrisy and how it's easier to preach than practice.

During OVER TWO DECADES of Sally relentlessly calling out Sonic over his recklessness and then pulling her own careless stunts (along with several other moments of pontificating she couldn't live up to herself), I don't think she was EVER made to face this same lesson.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Especially Team Dark because they were the ones actually trying to be taken seriously doing this narmy cornfest.

Ah, true. ...Most of the time.

2 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Spark Of Life. NICOLE calls out Sally for pulling a reckless stunt at the start of the arc. When she does the same to help Sally during the climax, Sally calls her out and NICOLE is made to point out the hypocrisy and how it's easier to preach than practice.

During OVER TWO DECADES of Sally relentlessly calling out Sonic over his recklessness and then pulling her own careless stunts (along with several other moments of pontificating she couldn't live up to herself), I don't think she was EVER made to face this same lesson.

Sounds more like a cute callback than anything else, but I suppose I see what you're getting at. Reboot or otherwise.

I'm probably going to be the outlier again (but that's the nature of being me I guess), but I'm going to say my favorite characters are the ones I find most annoying.

Now I know that may sound a little off but let me explain. Consider your favorite character and how you feel when they appear but seem completely out of character; to me that is when a character is most annoying.

Now with my favorite game being CD it should come as no surprise that my favorite characters are Sonic, Metal, Amy, and Eggman, but boy howdy can they annoy me when I don't feel like they are being handled right.

As I see Sonic as an aloof introvert with an attitude problem and a strong sense of justice  and heart of gold any time he comes across as a snarky and smarmy comedian or is reinterpreted as a chibi, moe blob child I get horribly riled up because that is not the character I know and was pulled into this franchise by.

Ditto with Metal Sonic but without the strong sense of justice and heart of gold. When he is being anything but a robot Sonic without those inhibitions I quickly find myself annoyed with his character. It's why he annoys me in Heroes with his world domination angle while also trying to say that he is the true Sonic. Where is the finger wag? The nose rub? The attempts to prove he is better than Sonic at being Sonic? To me the OVA is a far better example of Metal Sonic and my go to when I describe my favorite interpretation of the character.

Amy is a can of worms I won't open too much since she is a bit of landmine (if not a nuclear war sometimes) but to touch the surface, I see her as a girly, genki girl, tomboy who loves Sonic and adventure and can use her love of both to pursue the other while wearing her enormous heart on her sleeve helping everyone she meets along the way. Anytime this traits are downplayed or her temper is played up to Lina Inverse levels I get quickly annoyed with her or even outright bored. She's a novel character with a lot of charm but the constant need to make her conform to fit some idealist mold at best makes her annoying.

Eggman is probably the one who is least annoying out of the four, but as I see him as a clownish man child who desires to remake the world in his image and just happens to be a world ending threat he can just as easily annoy me when handled wrong like the others. The most annoying to me that Eggman can be is when he is played as either a straight clown who is only a threat to himself or as straight threat with none of zany charm that makes him enjoyable to see time after time again. AoS and SatAM are prime examples of these interpretations I find annoying though there are plenty of other examples with Colors and Lost World being among them. Like Metal Sonic though I feel he was executed perfectly in the OVA (mind I only watch the subtitle version so I get that Japanese zaniness that makes him work best to me).

As for everyone else, maybe Tails and Knuckles could make the list for the same reasons (with Knuckles just showing up for no reason making him particularly annoying in most cases - though I have a head cannon that makes him a bit less annoying), but otherwise I take the characters as they come and don't find any of them particularly annoying.

10 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm probably going to be the outlier again (but that's the nature of being me I guess), but I'm going to say my favorite characters are the ones I find most annoying.

Now I know that may sound a little off but let me explain. Consider your favorite character and how you feel when they appear but seem completely out of character; to me that is when a character is most annoying.

That's an understandable stance to have. Very few people want to see their favorite character behave in a manner disparate of their favorite character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally sorta thought of a character that didn't grow on me(for good reason), but the thread is about a week or two behind. What a conundrum?

Something that I find curious is how sometimes is not the character what can cause annoyance, but instead, it's how they are used or even the reactions from people.

For example, I think that a Tails fan would be annoyed at how Tails characterization in the IDW Sonic comic or the Sonic Mania Adventures animated shorts are compared constantly with the way Tails was characterized in Sonic Forces, along with comments like "Tails is finally useful".

In the same way, I too felt annoyed when Sonic Boom was selling Amy as a strong and independent character, and like with Tails, the comparissons with her main version because in both cases, the people doing that seem to assume that the characters were never useful or capable since they only focus on the bad characterizations (SLW and Forces for Tails, Battle and Free Riders with Amy).

And it's not just that, but even concepts like the "teams" or the "skill types" from Heroes that can annpy me for how they limit not just who can a character interact with, but also the way that speed, flight and strength are only for Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and don't fully represent what other character can do, like the case of Amy who is a mix of strength and acrobatics.

Even the favoritisms that ST play out can annoy me, since it gives me the impression of giving too much attention to certain characters that are already enjoying a positive reception while ignoring or neglecting others that could need some love. Just to put an example, I really can't stand the "classic trio" for how it pretty much serves the only purpose of excluding Amy or keeping her from developing as a character, as it happened in SA2 where her part in the story was minimized to make room for Knuckles, who hardly contributed to it.

Sonic Team's excessive reliance on nostalgia as a crutch is another thing that can get on my nerves when overdone, because of how it comes off as these developers self-impossing a limitation that keeps them from doing anything that strays from their comfort zone... and while I agree that one should not try nee things just for the sake of doing so, at the same time, to not change in the parts that need to can only lead to a slow death.

10 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Something that I find curious is how sometimes is not the character what can cause annoyance, but instead, it's how they are used or even the reactions from people.

That's very true.

For example, I think that a Tails fan would be annoyed at how Tails characterization in the IDW Sonic comic or the Sonic Mania Adventures animated shorts are compared constantly with the way Tails was characterized in Sonic Forces, along with comments like "Tails is finally useful".

In the same way, the comparissons with her main version because in both cases, the people doing that seem to assume that the characters were never useful or capable since they only focus on the bad characterizations (SLW and Forces for Tails,).

Even the favoritisms that ST play out can annoy me, since it gives me the impression of giving too much attention to certain characters that are already enjoying a positive reception while ignoring or neglecting others that could need some love. 

Yeah, both of those type of mindsets can be pretty tedious to deal with for longer than the second or third response period.

Heck, I've had two (and a half) contrasting cases of repetitious annoyance, in fact.

Just to put an example, I really can't stand the "classic trio" for how it pretty much serves the only purpose of excluding Amy or keeping her from developing as a character, as it happened in SA2 where her part in the story was minimized to make room for Knuckles, who hardly contributed to it.

Even though I'm pretty sure Knuckles was in the game long before Amy's part was written in.